(does a little dance) whooo! Look at me, being UPDATED-FASTER-THAN-LAST-TIME girl!

I apologize to all I freaked out with my ‘reviews are pretty’ thing. It’s what happens when you give me Benedryll.

Ok, and also, there is something in here that makes it sound Bander or Xuffy or w/e the hell Buffy/Xander is. But, c’mon. would this be here if it were? Uh, no.
_______________________________________________________________________________

Buffy pulled the pot off of the burner, placing it on a hot pad and sighing. Last night had been tiring; all the dancing and crying and laughing and keeping track of William…

Not to mention the “horrendous emergency” that Giles had called her about during the car ride home.

She had left William with Dawn and headed to the offices, silently fuming at the prospect of going to work so late.

Catching up with Cordelia Chase had made up for it, though.

Buffy had met the brunette at college. They had never been close in the beginning, until Parker Abrams had called Buffy a whore and a whole lot of other worse things since she was a single mother. Buffy, still feeling tender from the experience with Spike, had cried. She had been called a ‘whore’ and ‘slut’ before, it was how she met Faith. But Parker was the first who had demanded that since she was so desperate, that she should sleep with him.

Cordelia had jumped into the argument, reminding Parker that he was the one with the STD.

He had slunk away, defeated, while Buffy walked away with a new friend.

Cordelia had helped Buffy in her journalism major and with caring for William, and Buffy helped Cordelia with her fashion design major, helping create a few of C. Chase’s better known dresses.

“Buffy!” Cordelia had greeted, air kissing each of the blonde’s cheeks. “How ARE you and William?”

“I’m good,” Buffy had said, sitting down in her plush leather chair. “William is fine, he was sick a few days ago, though.” She had paused, debating whether or not to tell her old friend about the most recent tilt on her axis. “And…his father’s good, too.”

“Whoa, back up there, sweets. ‘Father’?”

“Oh…yeah, it’s nothing, Spike came back to town, Wesley got married, and hey! Why are you here?” Buffy had said, hoping Cordy wouldn’t dwell on the subject of Spike.

Her hopes had been dashed when the blinding smile on Cordelia’s face dimmed, and she’d said, “Spike…came back?” She had slammed her palms down on the desk, the skin colliding with the wood with a loud ‘BANG’. “That bastard! I’m gonna-”

“Cordy,” Buffy had interrupted. “The thought is appreciated. Really, really appreciated, but not needed.”

“Fine,” the brunette had said, pulling her hands back to rest in her lap. “But if you need someone to kick his ass…”

“I’ll call Faith.”

***

“Mommy?” William asked, pulled at his mother’s pant leg. “Mommy, what’s lunch?”

His mommy didn’t answer; she was staring out the window. William pulled on her elbow, wrapping his arms around it before hanging himself off of her forearm.

THAT got mommy’s attention.

“Oh, William! Where did you come from?”

“Bat’room.”

His mommy smiled at him, bending so that she was looking him in the face. “What were you doing?”

“Playing wif toof paste.”

His mommy stopped smiling and said, “Oh, no,” before running into the bathroom.

“Mama? What’s wrong? Mama?”

***

One hour later, Buffy lay exhaustedly on the couch. It had taken forever for her to scrub the Colgate out of the tiles and off of the walls. Not only had William squirted it on the wall, but he had somehow managed to mash it into the shag carpet in the bathroom.

The doorbell rang and she groaned. “Not one minute of rest.”

Sighing, she lifted her tired body off of the couch and walked towards the door. Opening it, she groaned again. “Oh, god. Who are you?”

The man smiled, undeterred by her rude greeting. “Hallo, miss,” he greeted in an Irish lilt. “The name’s Doyle. I’m Ms. Chase’s chauffeur. She would like to invite you to dinner with her tomorrow night. She also requests that you bring your son along with you.” The hat that had been clutched in both hands was placed back on his head, and he nodded in goodbye before walking back towards a black limo.

“Great,” Buffy sighed, leaning against the doorway. “Just what I need right now.”

Just as she spoke, a car pulled up into her driveway and a young, brown haired man in his mid-twenties stepped out, eyeing the house through his sunglasses. He walked up the drive, a brown paper bag clutched in his hand. He jogged up the stairs and stood on the welcome mat, looking down at her. “Buffy Summers?”

She eyed him, standing up straighter. “Yes, may I ask who you are?”

He extended the hand that wasn’t holding the paper bag. “Xander Harris, guitarist for the Dingoes. Spike asked me to drop something off for you. It’s a demo of our newest CD that we just finished recording yesterday. I think that he came to give it to you yesterday, but something about a wedding popped up. So,” he shrugged, grinning. “I am messenger Xander, Bringer of the Stuff.”

She smiled, liking this man more and more. “Well, Bringer of the Stuff, would you like to come in for some coffee?”

He lifted his sunglasses to the top of his head before glancing down at his watch. Shrugging, he said, “I don’t have anything better to do.”

She grinned up at him as he walked inside, shutting the door behind them both.

+++

Xander walked into the hotel suite, smiling to himself.

Coffee with Buffy had been nice…VERY nice. The more and more he had talked to her, the more he liked her. And William was absolutely adorable. He could tell why Spike wanted to be around her so much.

Well, other than the fact that William was his kid.

But Buffy…she was something special.

He sighed, flinging himself onto the bed, closing his eyes in happiness. The way that her nose crinkled when she laughed…her eyes were the most lovely shade of green, and her son was just an added bonus.

He could have no problem falling in love with Buffy Summers.

Hell, he was halfway there.

Too bad that Spike was, too.

The door flew open, hitting the wall with a ‘BANG’, and Xander sat up straight, looking for the intruder.

“What,” Spike demanded, standing in the doorway. “The bloody hell took so long? You were only dropping off a CD!”

Xander sighed, flopping backwards again. “We had coffee…really nice coffee.” He raised his head. “Your kid’s cute.” Folding his arms behind hid head, he lowered it once more. “So is his mom.”

He could tell without looking at him that Spike had just gone rigid. “What?”

“She’s nice…what can I say? Smart, funny, cute kid…beautiful eyes…”

Spike crossed the room, sitting down in the chair. “You fancy her,” he said dully.

“Mm-hmm,” Xander said, closing his eyes again. “She makes really good coffee.”

“You fancy her.”

He opened his eyes and turned his head, fixing his friend with a raised eyebrow. “We’ve covered this; the fancying of Buffy. And I believe it was a ‘yes’.”

“You…fancy HER.”

“I…fancy HER, yes.”

Spike was silent when he stood up, silent when he opened the door, and silent when he left.

Xander sighed, not out of contentment, but self-disgust for saying that to Spike…

…who he knew was in love with Buffy.

+++

Buffy opened up the brown paper bag and took out the CD, inspecting it. It was in a thin, clear jewel case, and the CD had the word ‘DEMO’ written across it in black permanent marker. “Well,” she said, “here goes nothing.”

She put the CD in the stereo, waiting for the music. A guitar started playing, sounding out a familiar tune. It wasn’t until the words had begun that she recognized it.

She was a fast machine
She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman that I've ever seen


Unlike any other remake she had heard before, this one was actually…good. Not sped up, sticking to the original melody, and Spike…

He was singing like she’d never heard before.

She had the sightless eyes
Telling me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs
Takin' more than her share
Had me fighting for air
She told me to come but I was already there

'Cause the walls start shaking
The earth was quakin'
My mind was achin'
And we were makin' it and you -

Shook me all night long
Yeah you shook me all night long

Working double t-


She pressed the button for the next song, shaking her head. That was more than enough that she could take of that song. The digital reader said 2, and she got ready to listen to the song.

+++

Buffy was laying on the couch, contentedly listening to the CD as it finished up track twelve.

Her eyes snapped open when she heard Spike talking in the beginning of the last track.

“This, uh…” his voice said. “This song was inspired the other day by a little blonde and her son. So…I hope you enjoy it, Buffy and William.”

I sing for you and only you
Wherever I go I find you
You’re in the sound of every hello
In everything I do
You’re the song I was destined to know
And I only sing for you


Buffy looked up as William walked into the room and over to her. He held his arms out, and she lifted him onto her lap, and they listened to the song.

I went away. I should have known
You leave so many dreams behind you
Thought you’d be fine just being alone
I didn’t have a clue
But my heart had a mind of its own
And would only sing for you

You’re in the sound of the rain
Clouds in a winter sky
In a thousand unsaid words
In a thousand crazy reasons why
You were meant to fly

So fly for me and day by day
I’ll keep hoping your heart reminds you
Nothing but love can stand in our way
But love can see us through
Maybe that’s all I wanted to say
I will always sing for you
I will always sing for you


Buffy and William were quiet for a few moments, until William looked up at Buffy with those crystal blue eyes. “Mama? Daddy…”

Buffy smiled, letting a tear roll down her face. “Daddy sang for you.” She hugged him to her, and he buried his small face in the side of her neck. “Daddy sang for you…”

++++
He sang for you.
---
I sang for both of you.
I love you both.
So much.
++++

TBC…


a/n--i'm just letting all of you know that i might not be able to post before december 17th. my teachers have recently decided to overload us before break. so sorry!!