A/N---woo! chapter sixteen!

this chapter introduces Christopher Richards, a guy who replaced Andrew in the band. We're going to leave WHY Andrew was replaced for later.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

"So..." Cordelia drawled, stirring her diet ice tea with a straw. "What's the deal with Spike?"

Buffy sighed as she attempted to spoon mashed potatoes into William's mouth. "I'm not sure. He just kind of...blew into town for an interview with me."

Cordelia raised an eyebrow. "And..."

"He proclaimed his undying love and devotion for me, and I reciprocated, so he threw me on the desk where we made wild, passionate love." Buffy sighed dramatically, placing her hand over her heart before moaning, "It was SO romantic."

Cordelia scowled at her, "You're mocking me."

"No, really?"

"And you've not only managed to corrupt William, but you've also smeared potato on his shirt."

Buffy frowned and turned her gaze to William, who grinned at her through a mess of mashed potatoes. "Great, more mess." She cleaned off his face with a napkin, pouting at him. "You're just being trouble, aren't you?" She deposited the dirty napkin on her plate before saying to Cordelia, "Where were we?"

"What REALLY happened?"

Buffy sighed, "He DID blow into town, but then he gets to my office and acts all...not jerky, and then writes this amazing song for me and William, therefore confusing the hell out of me."

"One: you corrupted William again, Two: he wrote you a song? Geez...the guy's deeper than I thought." She glanced at William. "What do you think, Willy boy? Is your daddy a nice man?"

William nodded, smiling brightly. Buffy sighed at her son's response, saying, "He's been smiling all day?"

"Really? Will," she said, taking on her 'Aunty Cordy' voice. "How's my best buddy?"

"Good."

"Really?" Cordelia said, turning in her chair slightly. "That's wonderful. Guess what would make this better?"

William's eyes lit up, obviously recognizing what was about to come. "Pezzies!" he squealed, clapping his small hands together. "Pezzies!"

Cordelia nodded, her smile growing into un-Chase like proportions. "That's right," she singsonged, pulling out a large paper bag. "Prezzie for William AND his mommy."

William eagerly took to the package that she placed in front of him, tearing at it with impatient hands. His blue eyes went wide when the contents were revealed to him, joy brimming in his irises.

"Oh, god," Buffy said, turning to her friend. "If that...whatever you bought him, if it makes noise? I am hunting you down, Chase."

"Easy there, Summers," Cordelia laughed, raising her hands. "You won't hate me once you see it."

"Ma," William said, spinning the present towards her. "Look."

Buffy's eyes went wide. "Oh, my god."

---

When he walked into the hotel room, Spike was sitting on the king sized bed, strumming his guitar.

Once the ENTIRE band had made it to Sunnydale, hotels and townspeople had warmed up to them, offering them all they had. Spike, however, was still eyed with distaste.

"Hey," he greeted, interrupting Spike's playing.

"Hi," Spike said quietly, avoiding his eye. "What..."

"Oh," he said, shrugging. "You know...tuning my drum set, reading, watching two of my best friends fight..." Spike's cheeks tinged pink a bit, and Chris sighed. "Wanna tell me why the silent treatment is going on?"

"Not particularly, no."

Chris turned around, grabbed the rolling chair and pulled it so that it was positioned across from Spike. "Why?"

"Because."

"You know, for a twenty-seven year old, you're acting seventeen years younger."

"This coming from the twenty-four year old," Spike said, finally raising his eyes to Chris'.

Chris shrugged, "I'm still being more mature than you, and I don't even know what the hell is going on."

"That's right," Spike agreed. "You don't know a damn thing, so why don't you drop it?"

"Because," Chris said, keeping his tone indifferent. "If it's bugging you so much, you'll keep it inside yourself until you go insane. So if you want to lose all sanity, go ahead. But, record sales won't be the same if you're convicted to an asylum."

Spike groaned, realizing that he was not going to be left alone about this until he gave in. "Fine. You want to know, you annoying sod? It's about Buffy."

"Oh," Chris nodded. "The hot woman with your kid?"

Spike raised an eyebrow at him, anger simmering in his eyes. "How do you-"

"You have a picture of her right next to you, dumbass."

Spike turned to the photo that was indeed resting on his night stand. He had swiped it from one of Buffy's albums, hoping she wouldn't notice.

She and William were at a beach somewhere, her in a white bikini and sarong set, him in some small blue trunks and floaties. William was balanced on her hip, her sunglasses perched on his tiny nose and almost taking up his entire face.

"Right," Spike said, turning back around. "Her."

"And she has what to do with Xander?"

"He fancies her."

"And...she fancies him?"

"I don't know."

"Right," Chris said, standing up. "You don't know. So why don't you ask her before trying to murder Xander with silence and glares?"

He walked out of the room, leaving Spike alone for a few seconds before walking right back in. "Where the hell am I going? This is my room, too. You leave."

Spike raised an eyebrow at him before grabbing his duster and walking out of the room.

---

Buffy was sitting on the living room couch and watching TV, having just put William to bed, when the doorbell rang.

She muted the TV and stood up, walking over to the door. Opening it, she stepped back to reveal..."Spike."

He was looking into her driveway at her dark blue Honda CR-V. "Hmm?"

"Is there something you would like to tell me about my car?"

He started, turning back to face her. "Your, uh...your license plate is 'SLAYER'."

She raised an eyebrow. "Is that why you're here? To tell me my license plate? That's, uh...nice of you."

He shook his head, "No, not that. Listen, can I come in?"

"Sure," she said, stepping aside to let him in.

Once she had closed the door, she turned around and jumped slightly when she came face to face with him. "Okay, you've managed to freak me out several times now. What do you want?"

"Xander."

"You want Xander? You're telling me this...why?"

"No, I don't bloody well want Xander, I want to know what you think about him."

"What I think about him?" He nodded, and she said, "Uhm...he's nice...and sweet, and funny..."

"Is he your type?"

"My ty...my WHAT?"

"Your type. Do you like him?"

"I guess...as a friend? Yeah. As something above platonia? No, I can't say that I like him that way. Why are you asking me this?"

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I...I don't know. I don't know anything when I'm with you. Two days ago, your sister asked me what I was trying to prove, stopping by your house. And I told her I didn't know. That's just the thing, Buffy. I don't know. When I'm with other women, one of us is trying to prove something. They're trying to prove they can get a rock/movie star, and I'm trying to prove that I'm bigger than anyone can imagine. And then you came along...and I lost sight of what I was trying to prove. It's like, everything has a reason for me to be there, and then you walk in and I just...I don't KNOW anything anymore. In the past couple weeks, you've managed to turn my life upside down and backwards, and I don't know if I hate it."

"Uh...thanks?"

"See, that's the thing!" he pointed at her, as if trying to prove a point. "Half the time, I don't know what the HELL we're talking about when we have a conversation, and the other half...I'm thinking about our son. And it still manages to boggle my mind that I have a son! A son, whose first word I missed, whose first steps I missed, whose first tooth I missed, whose...whose birth I missed. I'd always been so convinced that I would never miss out on anything. And then I came to this random ass town in California...and there you were, ready to show me all the things that I didn't have. So, what I want to know is, will I ever have those things with you? Can you answer me that, Buffy?"

---

The opposite of love is apathy, and hate is really the same as love. If you're so consumed with hatred for someone, you might as well be loving them because you're thinking about them for the same amont of time.

---

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

feedback is nice...good for the soul.