A/N: For all those upset about where this is going, calm down. Lol. Spike won’t kill Buffy or her friends. He won’t even be evil much longer, I promise. The main plot of this story is Buffy fighting the First…except differently than she saw in Heaven. So, I’m not going to keep Spike evil, because that takes away from my big picture. Lol. So, don’t fret. Only one last chapter of evil Spike, and then we’re fine. He was just some little itty bitty angst I needed to throw in. :P Thanks for reading!


“Ow! Watch where you’re going, snotface!” Andrew whispered in a ‘yelling’ type tone. Andrew had walked into the dark kitchen only collide with a short man, who could only be Jonathon.

“You watch it!”

“You’re gonna wake Buffy up!” It was still the middle of the night, and these two were the only ones awake.

Jonathon was about to reply when he heard someone descending the steps. He recognized the British curses and knew it was Spike.

For some reason, Jonathon had a gut instinct to stay out of the way. He pulled Andrew into the shadows of the kitchen and watched as Spike put on his duster and boots at the front door. When he was done, he quietly exited the house.

“Why were we hiding from Spike?” Andrew asked once Jonathon had taken his hand away from his mouth.

“I don’t know…instinct I guess.”

“Like slayer senses?” Andrew questioned.

“No. Not the same. Why is Spike leaving in the middle of the night, anyway?”

“I dunno.” Both were silent for a short moment, both thinking the same thing. “So, wanna follow him and see what he’s up to? Could be like a secret Superman mission or something.”

Jonathon smiled and raced Andrew to the door.

-----

“Well, well, well. Someone finally decided to show up,” The First/Kennedy said in a teasing voice as Spike entered the caves.

“Ha Ha. Bloody slayer wanted me to hold her. Thought she’d never go to sleep.”

The form of Kennedy walked closer and smiled. “I sent someone to get rid of those irritating potentials. Which means you can go back and get Buffy now. She’s all yours. Do whatever you want. Course, you can’t keep her alive too long. I need the entire slayer line dead to begin my plans.”

“Believe me. She won’t be alive too long.”

Above the caves, at the little opening, Andrew and Jonathon watched with wide eyes at the scene going on before them.

“Oh, and uh…never got to thank your boy Caleb,” Spike said before he started walking away.

“What for?”

“Ya know, working his mojo. Taking away the love, the good. It’s all really annoying to be a vampire and still want to cuddle with the slayer. So, next time you see Caleb…thank him for me,” Spike said with a smirk and began walking away.

Andrew and Jonathon sped away once they had that last bit of information. It was all they needed to know that Spike was the First’s instrument.

----

The nerd duo hadn’t stopped running until they reached Buffy’s house. When they finally burst through the door, they locked it behind them. “Go get Buffy,” Andrew was ordered by Jonathon.

When Andrew appeared a few moments later, he looked confused. “She’s not upstairs.” It was then that both spotted a note on the nearby counter.

Picking it up, Andrew read:

Hey, guys. Couldn’t sleep well. Went out for patrol.

-Buffy


“Spike isn’t home yet. He probably sensed her and followed her to the cemetery,” Jonathon said sadly. At the same time, both looked to the stairs and took in a deep breath.

“Tara!” They screamed in unison.

---Cemetery---

“Buffy?”

The Slayer jumped at the sound of Spike’s voice behind her and then sighed. “Oh, you mean you’re still in town? I woke up and figured I probably shouldn’t expect to see you for another few months,” she replied in an icy voice.

Spike just stood there, a smirk on his face. “There’s still things here to stay for,” he said casually. “Now. I don’t want you to be shocked when I hit you, because it’s no fun when you don’t fight back.” Before Buffy could think, Spike’s fist had been her reason for landing on the ground. “No. Still fun.”


A half hour later, Spike was tying a semi-conscious Buffy to a rock in the caves. He hadn’t really beaten her up. A few hits were enough to put her more in a state of shock and made it easy for him to bring her here.

When Buffy finally regained herself, she glared at him. “You’re not him.”

“Oh, I’m Spike, alright. But after your little show down in Africa, I figured that since you didn’t want me here, the First might have some use for me.”

“Africa!?” Buffy couldn’t help it and started laughing. “God, you really are stupid.” The monotone remark received a punch from Spike. “Come on, Spike! It’s the First. It who can take the form of all things dead! Technically, I’m already dead!”

“The First can only take the form of the currently dead.”

“Wrong again, Spikey.” Buffy let out another angry laugh. “The First has taken my form before.”

Suddenly, the First appeared, in the form of Kennedy. “She’s lying. I think that deserves punishment.” When Spike picked up a sword, ready to finish Buffy off, Caleb ran in.

“Stop!” He yelled. “The potentials…they aren’t dead! The ones we sent to kill them failed. Only three of the potentials were actually there, because the others were in training sessions.”

The First didn’t see this as a reason to panic and only smiled. “Hmm. Guess that means we have to keep her alive a bit longer. We kill her; another slayer will rise. Can’t have that. Play for awhile, then you can kill her.”

Spike smirked and raised the sword again.


---Same time, Buffy’s house---

Tara sat with a book in her lap, candles burning around her. As she chanted a spell, Andrew and Jonathon watched.

---A half hour earlier---

“What is it?” Tara asked with concern as she ran downstairs.

When the duo had explained to Tara what they’d heard in the caves, Tara had closed her eyes, concentrating on something.

When her eyes finally opened, she nodded. “I can help. T-the First did do some kind of spell. But it didn’t get rid of Spike’s feelings for Buffy or fill him with evil; it only masked his love and his good side. Now all I need to do is-” She paused when she realized she should probably explain her plan in simple terms. “-um, unmask those feelings and the good. I-it’s actually not that hard. Just…um…d-don’t be near me when I do it.” Tara felt uncomfortable being so controlling at the moment, so she softened her orders with a smile.



Now Tara continued chanting until the candles flared and then burnt out. A small, bright ball of light formed and then burst, filling the room for a complete second. When the room was dark again, Tara stood and turned the lights on. “Th-there’s not much else I can do…we’ll have to wait and see if they come home.”


---Same time, Caves---

Buffy’s eyes widened as she watched Spike slowly bring the sword to her. He was going for the torture thing.

Suddenly, Spike pulled back and his eyes widened. The smile on the First’s incorporeal face faded and she glared at the bleached vampire. “What the hell are you waiting for?”

Spike shook his head and his look hardened again. “Don’t know. Felt something strange is all.” Spike raised the sword again and brought it down hard. Closing her eyes, Buffy waited for the blow, but never felt it. When she opened her eyes, Caleb was on the ground with the sword in his gut and Spike was quickly untying her.

Before Buffy could get in a word, he was running fast with her in his arms.

Buffy was totally and completely in shock. She thought she was going to die.

And she had been terrified. What made it hurt worse was that her mind was still stuck in that moment, watching Spike raise his sword.

Buffy barely heard, felt or saw anything as she was set on the porch and Spike gently shook her shoulders. There were unshed tears in his eyes and his pain-filled voice kept asking if she was okay.

But she never heard.