~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I officially have the best beta ever. She took time out of her busy Christmas planning to edit this chapter and the two next one, just to make sure you'd get it on time for Christmas. Linne, you rock!


CHAPTER 19: She did what?!


“How many times in your life did you tell a woman you loved her?”

Gunn almost dropped the heavy barbell he was bench pressing and Spiked grabbed it just before it would crush his friend’s chest. The black man struggled to stabilize it, then pushed it up to place it back on it’s support.

“You trying to kill me?”

“What?” Spike asked defensively. “It’s a genuine question.”

It was a beautiful day and some of the work out equipment had been placed outside so the guys could enjoy a bit of sun. Charles wiped the sweat from his eyes and sat up.

“Are you trying to have a girly conversation with me, man? Can’t you see I’m trying to be all macho here, lifting weights and sweating?”

“I’m sorry mate, should have remembered that the only bleedin’ conversation acceptable when you’re working out is how many girls you’ve shagged in your life. My bad.” Spike glared at his friend. “What’s wrong with telling me how many chits were lucky enough to hear the bloody ‘L’ words coming from the great Charles Gunn?”

Gunn shrugged. “Well… My mom heard it a lot.”

Spike shook his head, ready to give up. “’m talking about love interests, you pounce. Not your mum!”

“Fine! Let me think.” He pretended to think about it real hard, counting on his fingers. “My little neighbor when I was five, then there was Laura in high school who I dated for a few years, then Fred and just before ending up here, Gwen. Man that chick was hot as hell, and wild too. So, that’s four I guess. You?”

Spike looked away, a bit embarrassed about his love life. “One.”

“Just one? I’m shocked. I always pegged you for being the ladies man.”

“Looks like you were wrong.”

“Was it the one who died? Drusilla?”

“That’s the one. It didn’t go quite well when I told her the first time. The chit laughed in my face. She ruffled my hair like she would have done to a puppy and told me I was sweet. Of course, the fact that we’d only been on one date before I declared my undying bloody love to her didn’t help. She changed her mind later and decided I was good enough for her, probably because she needed me. But let‘s just say that love declaration isn’t a memory I cherish. I was bloody humiliated. ”

Gunn couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “After the FIRST date?? You’re always in such a rush, Spikey boy!”

“Sod off! I can’t help how I feel. Though now I’ll always be a little hesitant before getting on my knees in front of a woman and starting to read her poetry.”

His friend snorted in derision. “This conversation is getting girlier and girlier by the minute, you know?”

Spike ignored him. He picked up a barbell and started doing bicep curls.

“It’s not like it matters anyway, Spike. Might be a hell of a long time before you get to do a love declaration again. Unless of course you have a secret crush on Andrew.”

At Spike’s hateful glare, Gunn put his hands up in surrender. “Hey man, not judging! If that’s your thing…”

“Would you shut your trap, you poofter? Might be your bloody fantasy for all I know.”

Gunn laughed. “Yeah, you wish. Sorry Spike but this luscious ass is exclusively for the enjoyment of the female part of the population. Besides, I’m out of your league man.”

“Good. Cause you’re not my type anyway.”

Spike went back to his bicep curls, a smirk on his face. He was going to do it. What’s the worst that could happen anyway?

**She could answer ‘thank you’, she could laugh, she could tell me that it’s been fun but it’s all it was, she could…** No, he wouldn’t chicken out now. Time to get over his fear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“She did WHAT??!?” Buffy screamed into the phone.

“So huh.. You didn’t know then?” Spike asked sheepishly, regretting bitterly ever opening his mouth.

“That little BRAT!! What is she? Brain dead? I CANNOT believe she went to the prison to see you! How could she do this? She could put me in so much trouble! Someone could have recognized her. How would she have explained that, huh? HOW? Did she even think for a second? I can’t believe I trusted her with our secret! I can’t believe..”

“Luv, calm down. Take a breath. It’s not that bad.”

“Not that bad?!” Buffy asked, incredulous. She stood up and started pacing the length of her bedroom.

“At least she made sure no one she knows was working today. And she said you two don’t have the same last name. I’m sure no one will check. They have better things to do than to run a background check on people who visit me. And to be honest with you--it was nice to have a visit. The only visits I ever get are from my friend Clem. It gets kind of lonely in here sometimes.”

Buffy sighed, her anger deflating.

“You’re right. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have freaked out like that. I’m just always worried that someone will find out about us. But still, she should have talked to me first. What did she want anyway?”

“Guess she just wanted a chance to meet her sister’s new boyfriend. Can’t blame the little bit. She cares about you.”

“I know she does. I just… I don’t know. It’s just weird. I would like it so much if you could meet my family, you know? Have a normal dinner with me, my mom and my sister, my mom playing the twenty questions game with you to make sure you‘re good enough for me. But instead, my little sister has to go to jail to meet you. Nothing is ever normal in my life.”

“I really liked her. She seems like a good kid. And smart too.”

Buffy chuckled. “Yeah, she really is. Stubborn as hell, but I love her. And if she managed to make your day a little better, then I love her even more.” She added softly. “I’ll try to see you tomorrow, ok?”

“I’d love that, pet. But if you can’t find a way, don’t worry about that. I don’t want you getting in trouble.”

“If I don’t find a way, I’ll email you to let you know.”

“All right. Good night kitten.”

Buffy blushed at the term of endearment. “Good night, I’ll see you soon.”

She let herself fall back on her bed and took a deep breath to calm herself down. This could have been catastrophic, but it was done now and there were no need for her to freak out. And she could be honest with herself and admit that she was glad Dawn got to meet Spike.

The phone rang again. Her home phone this time. She sat up to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Hi auntie Buffy!!”

Buffy smiled, happy to hear the voice of her goddaughter. “Hi sweetie! What are you doing up at this time? Aren’t good girls supposed to be in bed by now?”

“Yes, but I’m not good. I’m baaad!” The little girl giggled.

She could here Cordelia whispering something to her daughter on the other end of the line.

“What’s up, Cam? Is your mommy being a brat again? You want me to scold her or something?”

“No. She let me call you to invite you to our super duper Christmas…”

Buffy almost laughed out loud when she heard Cordelia helping Camille with the word.

“… extravaganza. We’re gonna have a huuuge party with presents. I asked Santa for a lot of things and I hope he’ll bring everything. It will be so fun!! You’ll come, right? You don’t have to work in your prison with the mean people?”

“I wouldn’t miss it for anything in the world honey. Isn’t it three weeks from now though? It’s a little early for Christmas, don’t you think ? ”

“Pfff. Christmas is never soon enough! Do you think the nice woman with the red hair will come too?”

“Willow? Well… That depends on your mom, sweetheart. And also on if Willow already has a party planned or not. But if you mom wants, I’ll ask Willow if she wants to come.”

“Cool! I have to go. Mommy says I have to brush my teeth or they’ll fall out.”

“Good night, Cam.”

“Night aunt Buffy!”

She waited until Cordelia finished giving her night time instructions to her daughter before speaking. “Damn, Cor, who would have known that motherhood would be your thing? I still can’t believe it, even after four years of witnessing it.”

“What can I say? I’m full of surprises. I even surprise myself most of the time. Anyway, Camille was so excited to invite you she wouldn’t stop talking and I‘m not sure she made any sense. Did you get any of what she said?”

“Christmas eve. Party. Presents. Fun. Yep. I think I got it.”

“You, your mom and Dawn can sleep over if you want. But if you guys bring food, make sure Joyce makes it, not you. Don’t want any food poisoning at my party.”

“Excuse me? Says the girl who made Xander puck his guts out on their first date?”

“Is it my fault if the fish was bad? They sold it to me that way at the grocery! Besides, I’m having a catering service take care of the food for the party. I don’t want any law suits.”

Buffy laughed goodheartedly. “Oh yeah, did you hear who Camille asked me to invite?”

“Willow? Yeah, I heard. That’d be fun. If she wants to come, her and her husband are welcomed.”

“Really? You don’t mind?”

“Why would I? We’re not ten year olds anymore. And I can admit that I was kind of annoying back then so I really can’t blame her for hating me. But if she’s cool with me now, I’m glad.”

“Well, she looked like she enjoyed talking with you at the party, so I’m guessing she’s cool with you. I guess I’m just stuck with a vision of mini-Willow and mini-Cordelia throwing rocks at each other in my head. It’s hard to forget you know?”

“No. Willow was the one throwing rocks at me. I was too busy screaming that she would ruin my expensive dress and my daddy would kick her daddy’s ass.”

They chuckled happily at the childhood memory. “Yeah, good times. Cor, I really should go to bed. I’m working tomorrow. But I’ll call you this week, promise.”

“All right. Good night.”

“Night-night!” Buffy replied jokingly before hanging up.

Buffy put her pillow over her head. Christmas. It would be Christmas soon. She so didn’t want to think about this. She’d be in L.A. having fun surrounded by her loved ones, and Spike would be eating a pathetic excuse for a Christmas meal, then watch a lame Christmas movie, surrounded by people who didn’t give a damn about him. Life sucked. She’d have to think of a good present to give him to make him forget the Holidays from hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~