~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



CHAPTER 33: Doctor, doctor, give me the news



Buffy walked back to the office after a nurse came to get her. She stopped in front of the door where a golden plaque said: Dr. Winifred Burkle, and took a deep calming breath. It would take a few days to get the results of the extensive blood test the doctor had put her through, but there was one test Dr. Burkle had insisted she’d take--even if Buffy said it was ridiculous and useless--for which she could get the result right away. Of course, it had probably been a waste of time, but she’d still agreed to wait for half an hour and now, she was back in the office.

Buffy pushed the door open and walked in, suddenly feeling nervous.

**Don’t be ridiculous** she scolded herself. **There is NO way.**

“Come in, Buffy. Have a seat, please.” The pretty brunette told her with a warm smile.

Everything about the woman made you feel warm and safe. She was tiny, with long hair the color of coffee beans and large soft eyes in her small face. Just being in her presence made Buffy relax. By the smile Dr. Burkle had on her face, it could only be good news anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Burkle smiled softly at the woman sitting in front of her, always happy to tell people they were expecting a child, even if some, once in a while, didn’t take it too well. If the tears welling up in the petite blonde’s hazel eyes were any indication, she was one of those.

“No.” Buffy finally said firmly with a quick shake of her head that sent her golden hair flying wildly around her shoulders.

Fred frowned. “What do you mean, no? There is very little doubt that..”

“NO. It’s not possible.” She said with conviction despite the slightly hysterical ton of her voice. “I’m on the pill and I never miss one. NEVER. I take it every morning after brushing my teeth. Same time EVERYDAY. So no. I’m not pregnant.”

She furiously wiped her tears and crossed her arms over her chest like a stubborn little girl.

“All right then. If you’ve decided that you’re not pregnant, then I guess you‘re not. Go home, forget it ever happened, then, in three months, when you get bigger, you can tell yourself that you just got fat. And when there’s something kicking you from the inside, you can always tell yourself that you have gas. Though, it might get harder to live in denial when there’s something coming out of you in about eight months from now.” At Buffy’s huge panicked eyes, Fred softened her voice to try to calm her down. “I’m sorry you’re not taking this well Buffy, but denying it won’t make it go away. You’re pregnant.”

“But… what about the pill. I told you I…”

“Take it every day, I know. And I believe you. But do you remember last time you were in my office? That day when I prescribed you antibiotics?”

Buffy nodded.

“Do you remember me also telling you that the antibiotics and the birth control pill were not mixing well and that you should use a secondary contraception method for the period of time you were on antibiotics?”

“You never said that!”

“I did. And you answered, word for word: ‘I know, I know. Thanks a bunch. Gotta go.’ You took the prescription out of my hands and ran out of the office.”

Buffy’s mouth formed a perfect “oh” as she stared at the doctor. Memory had a funny way to come back to you when it’s too late.

“So, I take it you and your boyfriend didn’t use any protection?”

Buffy shook her head numbly. Spike and she had talked about it. The day after they’d slept together for the first time, they had emailed each other when Buffy realized they hadn’t used protection. She had assured him that she was on the pill, and Spike had told her he was clean and she could check his medical file herself if she wanted to make sure. OK, it was irresponsible. But everything she had done so far had been. So a little less, a little more… besides, she had faith in the pill. Stupid, blind, faith in modern medicine. Oh God. She was pregnant.

Tears came back with a vengeance and she hid her face in her hands, trying to catch her breath while mumbling: “Ohgodohgodohgod”

“Hey, are you OK?”

Buffy shook her head vehemently and Fred went to sit in the chair beside her. The young woman was clearly hyperventilating.

“Take deep breaths, Buffy. I don’t want you passing out on me now.”

Fred put her slim arm around her shoulders, shocked by how badly she was shaking. “Why don’t you tell me what’s so bad about this. Is the father not gonna be happy?” When the only answer she got was a whimper, she continued. “Is it worst than that?”

Buffy nodded weakly, still unable to speak.

The brunette turned Buffy’s shoulders so she would face her. “I’m going to ask you a tough question, Buffy. I need you to be honest with me. Were you raped?”

That snapped Buffy out of her panic attack. Chocked sobs were now mixed with hysterical laughter. It took her a while before finally being able to speak, her voice hoarse from all the crying. “Oh my God! No. It’s not like that at all. I love him. He just… can’t be there.”

“You know I’m sworn to secrecy and you can tell me anything…”

“He’s in prison.” She didn’t know why she said it, but the words came out before she could stop them. And it felt good.

“But don’t you work in… oh.” Dr. Burkle’s eyes widened with realization. “Oh my! That’s not good.”

“Understatement. It’s more like the definition of worst case scenario. And it’s not like he’s coming out in a month or two either. He’ll be in there for a hell of a long time. He’ll miss everything. Pregnancy, birth, first word, first steps, first day of school. It’s going to kill him. And I won’t be able to visit him with the kid either because then, everybody will know and I’ll lose my job.”

Fred took a long shuddering breath. She hated what she was about to say but in this case it would have to be brought up. “There are… other options. I don’t do it myself because I’m against the idea, but I could refer you to someone I know who could terminate the pregnancy. If that’s something you would consider. You‘re still in the early stage so physically, it wouldn‘t be too traumatic.”

With only those few words, everything changed for Buffy. She couldn’t tell what exactly happened, but in a matter of seconds, her misery was replaced by outrage. She turned bright red. “What?!”

“I’m not saying you should, Buffy. But the situation you’re in…”

“Is not of the good, but I can still manage. No need to kill an innocent, thank you very much.”

Dr. Burkle looked down and Buffy realized she’d snapped at the poor woman for no reason. She was just trying to help.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to react like that. I’m just not myself right now. I need to digest the news. I’m lost and I don’t know what to do, but abortion is definitely not an option. The father might be in prison, but I love him and just the idea of killing a child that we created together makes me sick. I freaked out a little. Sorry.”

“It’s all right. I understand you’re a little confused right now and don’t know how to take this. I know it’s not easy to raise a child on your own, but you’re a strong woman and I’m sure you can do this. Things have a way of working out, you’ll see.”

“I know. I’m just tired of life throwing curve balls at me all the time. Tired of being strong and struggling to keep it all together.”

Fred took her hand. “You’ll be fine, I’m sure of it. Besides, I’m sure you have friends and family who can help you.”

“Yeah, as long as they don’t bring me more food.”

Fred raised an eyebrow in question and Buffy smiled slightly.

“I don’t think the baby is too crazy about chicken… and onions. Oh, and fish. God, just the smell of fish makes me wanna hurl. I think there might have been some chicken in the lasagna my mom brought me the other day because I couldn’t even sit next to the table while they were eating it. And I LOVE lasagna.”

Dr. Burkle chuckled, happy to see her patient’s mood was improving.

“This is gonna be a long nine months if I can‘t eat my mom‘s famous lasagna.” Buffy added, pouting.

“It’s just the beginning of the pregnancy. You’ll see, soon, you’ll complain that you can’t stop eating. I guarantee it.”

Buffy only groaned, hiding her face in her hands again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“You are very handsome, but very annoying, Spike. Now, will you hold still so I can finish stitching you up? You should be more like your friend Charles. He’s handsome too, and HE listens when I tell him not to move.”

“Sorry nurse Anya. I’ll behave.”

“You better. British men are such wusses.” She muttered under her breath, but loud enough to be heard.

“Oi!” Both Spike and Giles exclaimed in indignation, their British pride hurt.

“Oh and don’t deny it. You so are. The other night, Giles and I were in bed when I…”

“ANYA!”

She turned innocent eyes to Giles who‘s face was flushed.

“Remember what I said about things that are private and should remain private?”

She blinked several times, obviously not seeing his point. “Yes. But this is a fun story that could prove my point so I don’t see why I shouldn’t use it.”

“Yeah, Rups, let the lady tell her story. Sounds interesting enough.” Spike said with a grin, hissing in pain when it hurt the side of his face that was black and blue from the attack.

“Would you just bloody stitch him up so I can take him back already? And how come it wasn’t done last night when he was brought in?”

Annoyed, Anya sighed loudly. “Because I was not on duty last night. I was with you, remember? And Peter, the guy who does the night shift, is an idiot. That’s why.”

“Yeah, the bleedin’ wanker said I didn’t need any soddin’ stitches even though I had blood dripping in my eyes. He just wrapped my noggin up in a bandage and made me sleep on this poor excuse for a bed. I had to beg him to give me Tylenols for the pain. Piss poor excuse for a nurse. Not like you, luv.” He added, winking at Anya.

“Stop flirting, Spike. It’s flattering, but I’m taken now. Rupert gives me plenty of perfectly good orgasms.”

Spike chuckled when he saw Giles closing his eyes as if in pain and rubbing his temples. “Glad to hear it, pet. Nothing like high quality orgasms to make a girl happy.” He said, enjoying making Giles squirm.

Anya gave him a winning smile, glad that someone finally understood her. She finished wrapping the gauze around his forehead and patted him affectionately on the shoulder. “Too bad you’re in jail. You’d make some girl really happy.”

Giles rolled his eyes and took a step forward, eager to put an end to this disturbing conversation. “Let’s go Spike. And just so we’re clear, maybe you should be careful not to get too much on my nerves or maybe I’ll take you straight to your cell. If you get my meaning.”

Indeed, he understood the older British man’s meaning perfectly. With wide innocent blue eyes, he motion as if he was zipping his lips together, then eagerly extended his arms in front of him so Giles could put the handcuffs on. Giles shook his head and sighed in defeat. How Buffy could put up with Spike was beyond him. But then again, someone could ask the same of him and Anya, so who was he to judge?

Spike stood up and followed Giles out of the infirmary and hopefully, straight into Buffy’s arms.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Yeah, yeah, you all guessed it, our little Warden is pregnant. You're all very smart cookies. Granted... I stopped trying to be subtle a while ago, but still... you guys are clever ;) Now, the question is: will she tell, will she not tell..? I guess you'll have to wait and see. And now, in response to a review I got and in case other people feel that way, I know there is not that much Spuffiness, and I apologize. But this fic is plot oriented and was never meant to be a PWP. The sex only adds to it. I'm trying my best to keep the story as realistic as possible and I don't think them being together all the time would make much sense considering the circumstances. But don't worry, I want them together as much as you do and I'll do my best to make it happen. I do appreciate reviews very much and I want to hear your opinion because it tells me what to work on if I want to make you guys happy. So keep em coming.