Author's Chapter Notes:
Every single comment you leave me, the long ones, the short ones, even just a few words, are what keeps me going. I've been writing this story for a very long time now, and sometimes it gets tough, but knowing you guys are waiting for me to write more is motivation enought for me to keep going. Thanks.
Extra disclaimer: One quote was taken from Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 38
At last we meet




Buffy Anne Summers, once crowned worst actress of Hemery High after the talent show, now had to give the best performance of her life. Thankfully, the importance of what was at stake here should be motivation enough.

She walked into the bar with all the fake confidence she could muster. Swaying her hips like a seasoned seductress, she maneuvered expertly through the surprisingly crowded place and perched herself on a high stool. Buffy scanned the place for Mr. And Mrs. MacAlister, but didn‘t have to look very far. Right across from her, sitting at the u-shaped bar, were Angel and Darla. If anybody in the bar other than Buffy would spare them a glance, they’d see nothing special. A couple out to have a good time. Rude, somewhat obnoxious, a little arrogant maybe, but nothing special. Buffy saw them as her mission, and these people crowding the bar tonight would never see the monsters amongst them unless she succeeded. She needed to focus only on the mission and get it done, because nothing else mattered.

Waiting for the bartender to notice her, Buffy observed Angel and Darla as discretely as possible and quickly got lost in her thoughts. Images of the lives they had ruined flashed behind her eyes. She thought about that girl, Drusilla, who despite being a drug addict and a manipulative nut case, still didn’t deserve to die like that. She had been young still; life could have taken a turn for the better. Who knows, maybe one day she would have checked into rehab, gotten a job, start anew. But Angel and Darla had made sure that would never happen for her.

Her thoughts drifted to William, herself and their unborn child. Because of these monsters, their daughter or son would be raised without a father. They had so effectively destroyed William’s life that it seemed to be only going from bad to worse They had aimed at hurting him, and even a year later, it still kept snowballing. Now, not only was he in prison for life, but he was going to have a family outside, and not be able to be with them. Granted, he didn’t know about the baby yet, but when he found out, it would make being locked away even more of a torture. The MacAlister’s plan had worked perfectly. They definitely had fate working for them. Buffy could only hope that life would soon give Spike a break.

*It will.* She thought with more conviction than she felt. *As soon as I put these assholes behind bars.*

“So?”

Buffy looked up, startled. “What?”

The bartender was staring intently at her. “I asked you if you want something to drink or eat. Because if you don’t want anything, hon, there’s not much of a reason to be here in the first place. You’re certainly not here for the décor, are you?”

Buffy smiled apologetically. “Sorry. I wasn’t paying attention.” She leaned over the counter, exposing her miracle bra enhanced cleavage. “I’ll have a rum and diet coke without rum please.”

At the bartender’s confused look, she slid a ten dollar bill in his direction and added, “Just make it look like you’re serving me alcohol, please. And every time I ask you for a rum and coke, don’t put rum in it. I… have my reasons.”

Somehow, explaining to this man that she couldn’t drink because she was pregnant, but still needed the people sitting across from her to believe she was a party girl, seemed way too complicated.

The bartender leaned forward close to her, as if he was about to share an important secret: “Honey, if you give me ten bucks for a diet coke, you can call it whatever the hell you wanna call it.”

She laughed and pulled out more bills from her wallet. “Could you also serve two more drinks to that couple sitting over there? Tell them it’s on me.”

“Sure thing, sweetheart.”

The bartender put the diet coke in front of her and brought Angel and Darla their drinks. Buffy saw him point at her with his thumb over his shoulder before walking away to serve other customers.

*Here goes nothing.* She thought before giving them her sexiest smile.

Angel was sitting on a stool with Darla glued to his side. She was standing next to him, an arm resting on his bulky shoulders and her cheek against his. They were both studying Buffy with interest and after a few seconds passed, matching grins appeared on their faces. Buffy couldn’t help comparing their expression to the cat who’s about to have some cruel fun with the mouse. She shuddered.

To signal that she had their approbation, Angel lifted his glass in her direction and mouth “cheers” before swallowing the whole thing. Darla motioned for Buffy to join them.

Buffy’s heart was beating a steady staccato as she stood up. In no hurry to face the two homicidal maniacs, she took the time to smooth down her short black pleated skirt and ran a shaky hand through her long hair. She knew she looked great. A little on the slutty side, but great nonetheless. She just hoped her nervousness wasn’t showing too much. These two could smell fear, she was sure of it.

When Buffy was within hearing distance, Darla asked in her airy and slightly nasal voice: “What’s this for? Feeling a bit lonely tonight, honey?”

Doing her best to look nonchalant, Buffy leaned her back against the bar and looked around with a bored expression on her pretty face, before looking back at the couple. “The two of you seemed like the most interesting people in this hellhole tonight. I figured it’d be more entertaining to hang out with you than staying by myself fighting off a bunch of horny assholes.”

Obviously liking the answer, and enjoying getting her ego stroked, Darla smiled her first genuine smile.

“Good choice. We are fun, aren’t we darling?” She looked at her husband, waiting for him to agree with her.

“Was there ever any doubt? The real question is…” He gave Buffy what she assumed was meant to be an intense look but made him seem almost constipated. “Are you?”

“Depends.” She answered cryptically.

One of Angel’s big bushy eyebrows lifted slightly in an attempt at a confused expression. But despite his best efforts, the man seemed to have only one facial expression: broody. Anything else was merely a slight variation on the same theme.

“Depends on what?” Darla asked, a touch of impatience evident in her voice.

“By day, I’m as boring as can be. Boring job in boring office with boring people. But I compensate at night.” She flashed them a sassy smile. Thinking of one of her favorite movies, she added: “I like to get fucked up.”

Darla’s feminine laughter echoed shrilly through the bar. A few people glanced their way out of curiosity, but she couldn’t have cared less. She lifted her glass in a toast to Buffy. “Well, we like to get fucked up too.”

Buffy sourly completed the quote in her head *yeah I bet you do* But forced herself to smile back, and raised her glass too. “We should get along perfectly well then. Cheers.”

Their glasses clanked loudly together, and Buffy made a show of chugging down her drink and asking for another one. The bartender was true to his word and gave her a diet coke.

Darla moved from Angel’s side and made Buffy sit on a stool between the two of them. It made her feel trapped but she did her best to ignore the feeling and relax.

Angel turned sideways to face her. “What’s your name, gorgeous?”

Buffy hesitated for a second, but thankfully not long enough for the drunk couple to notice. “It’s Anne, but I like gorgeous.” She winked, making Angel chuckle drunkenly. When he failed to provide her with his own name right away, she grinned playfully and asked. “And do I call you sugar and honey all night, or do you have names too?”

Darla’s eyes lit up. She told Angel: “I like her, she’s sassy.” Then, turning to Buffy, “I’m Darla. And this is my loving husband, Liam. But he…”

“It’s Angel.” He snapped, glaring at his wife.

The blonde huffed in annoyance, a noise that sounded oddly ladylike for such a trashy woman. “As I was going to add before being so rudely interrupted.”

The two women shared a laugh at Angel’s dejected look.

The guy standing in front of the Jukebox put some money in, pressed a button, and ’Pour some sugar on me’ came on. The bartender cranked up the volume. Buffy jumped on the occasion to save herself from having to exchange pleasantries with the two psychos.

“I love this song!” She looked at Darla. “Wanna dance? Torture those horndogs on the dance floor, then leave ‘em high and dry for fun?”

Darla put her arms around Angel’s neck and kissed him. “Angel, baby, I love the way she thinks. Can we keep her?”

“I’m not against the idea.” He replied, grinning at Buffy.

She shuddered at the look the couple gave her. At this moment, she wished she was anywhere but in this place, with these people. She seriously hoped hanging out with them really would get Spike his freedom.

Darla extricated herself from Angel’s bulky arms. “Come join us in a couple of minutes to scare away all the horny losers, OK?”

“Sure thing babe. But let’s do a shot first, shall we?”

Buffy tried to find a way of getting out of this but didn’t sound very convincing. “We’re gonna miss all the song.” She pouted.

But Angel had already ordered three shots of Tequila and almost as soon, they were on the bar.

“To a new… friendship.” Darla toasted, a pinched smile on her face that Buffy was starting to realize was just her signature smile. Probably because of her tiny eyes and nose. It made her look arrogant and slightly disdainful.

Angel and Darla both downed their drinks. Buffy hesitated, but finally told herself that women used to drink alcohol all the time back in the days when it wasn’t known that alcohol was bad for pregnant women, and the human race didn’t face extinction. So one shot probably wouldn’t hurt.

*Sorry little one…*

She drank the tequila and bit in her lemon.

“All right.” Darla exclaimed cheerfully. “Let’s go dancing.”

The two women made their way to the dance floor holding hands like best friends. Not one man in the place remained indifferent to them, all turning to watch as the two beautiful blondes took a spot in the middle of the dance floor and started undulating to the beat of the loud music. They moved around each other with grace and sensuality, aware of all the eyes on them, but not caring one bit.

After the first song ended and another started, the more adventurous of the bunch dared getting closer. Buffy and Darla indulged them for a little while, but the second one of the guys dared put a hand on Buffy, Darla pushed him so roughly he fell on his ass. She glanced quickly in Angel’s direction, but he was already on his way so Darla turned to the guy who was picking himself off the floor. She gave him a contemptuous look. “Anne, darling, I’m sorry I’m a bit impulsive. Where you at all interested in this guy?”

Buffy snorted in mocked disgust. “Not at all. I usually prefer my men taller than me, and with a dick between their legs.”

The two women laughed. The guy with the bruised ego was fuming. “You stupid whores!”

He stood up and started advancing on them, but Angel’s hand on his shoulder stopped him from going any further. He squeezed hard and the other man howled in pain. He took a swing at Angel, but he was expecting it and side stepped the drunk shorter man who went sprawling on the dance floor. Angel kicked him hard enough to break something, then grabbed him by the back of his shirt with one hand and lifted him off the floor.

“Consider that you learned something tonight, my boy. Never take on bigger and badder than you, or mess with his girls. It’s basic survival instincts, really.”

The rest of the crowd, knowing Angel MacAlister by reputation, had been smart enough not to get involved in the altercation. They stayed at a safe distance from the scene.

Buffy was feeling horribly guilty. She’d never intended for her little act to go this far. She’d just wanted to prove to Darla and Angel that she was one of their kind; someone they would want to hang out with. She never wanted anyone to get hurt. But if she said something now, she’d ruin everything. She had to see the big picture. This guy might end up with a few bruised ribs and a head ache in the morning, but he’d get over it. Spike faced life in prison. The decision to cheer Angel on was relatively easy to make when seen this way.

Linking arms with Darla, Buffy watched as Angel administered another blow to the guy’s jaw, then dropped him unceremoniously. He wiped his hands on his black leather pants, as if they were dirty.

“Well, that was fun. Wasn’t it, girls?”

“Best entertainment I’ve had in a while.” Buffy did her best ‘Spike sexy smirk’. “I knew you guys were fun.”

“We’re the best. The scourge of Sunnydale. Feared by all.” Darla snickered. “I think this calls for a drink. Doesn’t it baby?”

Angel put his arms around both Darla and Buffy’s shoulders, and walked them to the bar.

After an hour of making fun of pretty much everyone in the place and trading stories, Buffy was starting to think she’d never find a way out of there. She was just about to gouge her eyes out when she was saved by the proverbial bell. Her cell phone.

“Hello?”

“Buffy, it’s Wesley.”

“Yeah, what is it?” She answered abruptly for her companions’ benefit.

“Is everything all right?”

“Uh huh.”

“You’ve been in there an awfully long time. I was worried.”

“Sure.”

“Sure? What do you mean… Oh, you’re not alone. I see. Do you need more time in there?”

“No!” She looked at Angel who was observing her. “No, damn it. I’m busy. Whatever it is, deal with it yourself.”

She rolled her eyes and mouthed ‘brother’ as an explanation.

“What did you get yourself into again?” She continued, taking the one sided conversation where she wanted. “… All right, stop freaking out… I’ll be right there.”

“Buffy?”

“I’ll see you in a minute… Yeah… Bye… And thanks for ruining my fun, AGAIN.”

She hung up.

“Sorry guys, my little brother has a way of always getting himself in trouble, and of course, I’m his knight in shining armor. I have to go.”

“Really?” Darla whined in her high pitched voice. “Are you coming back tonight?”

“I doubt it. Sounded serious. But…” She turned her cell on and opened the address book. “We could exchange phone numbers if you want.”

Angel and Darla looked at each other and for a moment, Buffy was afraid they’d say no. Maybe she wasn’t convincing enough, maybe they didn’t like her as much has she thought they did.

Angel smirked. “Sure thing sweetheart. We might have a party next week-end, we’ll call you.” He gave her their phone number and she programmed it into her cell phone before giving them hers.

“It says X. Harris on the caller display when I call. That’s my brother. The cell is under his name.” She stood up. “I had a great time.”

Darla pulled her in a quick hug and Buffy tried not to stiffen. “Bye Anne. You definitely need to come to that party. You should see the losers my Angel invited. It’s going to be deadly if you don’t show up.”

“I didn’t invite losers! I don’t hang out with losers. The only losers that are going to be there are your cousin and his annoying little friends.”

“Don’t start on my cousin, Angel.” Darla warned.

“The boy is GAY, Dar. Wake up and smell the fag.”

“Riley is perfectly straight. Get off his case already!”

Buffy smiled uncomfortably. “Gotta go. But definitely looking forward to this party.”

She waved and walked away as fast as she could without looking like she was running.

When the cool night air hit her, she heaved a sigh of relief. She jumped in her car and drove the short distance to the 7/Eleven where Wesley was waiting for her outside. He was definitely not expecting the tiny blonde woman to run straight into his arms. She hugged him fiercely.

“Oh my God, Wesley. I’ve never been so happy to receive a phone call in my life.”

“That bad?” He asked curiously.

“Worse.”

“Let’s go in there.” He said, pointing at the 24h coffee shop next to the convenience store. “You can tell me all about it in front of a warm cup of tea… Or whatever strikes your fancy.”

She was shivering in the crisp night air so he covered her bare shoulders with his jacket and led her to the coffee shop. They took a seat at a booth in a quiet corner of the shop. Wesley ordered tea, and Buffy a coffee and a slice of coconut cream pie.

“Would you like to tell me what happened?” The P.I. finally said, after taking a sip of his steaming hot tea. “Were you in any danger? You really should have called me or walked out of there if it was the case.”

“Relax, Wesley. I wasn’t in any danger. In fact, they kind of liked me I think. They even invited me to a party next week-end.”

“But then…”

“Doesn’t mean I had fun though. “ She shuddered in disgust. “It was horrible. I thought the night would never end.”

She shoveled a forkful of coconut cream pie in her mouth and let out a blissful sigh. Wesley smiled, amused.

“It’s not just that they are horrible people, it’s that I had to put on a show all night, act like someone I‘m not, try not to get mixed up in my lies…. It was nerve wracking, Wesley. I was so scared I would screw up and blow my cover. There’s so much at stake, you know?”

“Yes, of course.”

“I only had one shot at this.” She continued. “If they didn’t like me, if they found out I was lying or anything else that could have possibly gone wrong, it would have been over for Spike. I know they can’t possibly connect me to him but I was still worried about it the entire time I was there. And can you believe I had to watch that big cave man beating up some guy and pretend I thought it was the funniest thing?”

“You shouldn’t worry too much about this, Buffy. Angel beats up guys every night according to what I found out about him. I don’t think it matters much if you were laughing or not.”

Buffy looked down at her plate, playing distractedly with the left over pie.

“I know.” She said forlornly.. “It’s just that these people are everything I’ve been against my whole life. It’s hard pretending to like them when all I want is to take a bar stool and break it over that big idiot Angel’s skull.”

Wesley leaned forward to get closer to her. “But you know something? Cracking that stool over the wanker’s head will give him a bump that will last for a week; what you’re doing now might require a bit more patience on your part, but will send him to prison for life. Don’t you think the second option will be more satisfying in the end?”

A smile lit up Buffy’s face. “Absolutely.”

“And I have good news too. I talked to my friend Kate a few hours ago.”

“Kate… That’s the police woman, right?”

“Inspector.” Wesley corrected. “She had her boss reopen the case and she’s got everything in order. She has in her possession a sample of Liam’s voice from his interrogation a year ago. This will speed things up tremendously. When we get that confession out of him, we won’t have a problem positively IDing his voice.”

“That’s great Wesley. I know you’re going above and beyond in this case. I don’t know why you’re doing it, but thank you. Now, let’s just hope I can fool them to the point where they trust me enough to let their guard down.”

“Judging by your success tonight, I have no problem believing you can do this, Buffy. You certainly impressed me.”

She blushed at the compliment.

“May I ask you a question?”

“Sure.”

“What in the bleeding hell is an evil slutty dumb blonde? I’ve been trying to picture it but came up with nothing.”

Buffy grinned. “Ever watched House of 1000 corpses?”

Wesley stared blankly for a moment, then shook his head. “I’m afraid not.”

“Then rent it and you’ll see there’s a character named Baby. She’s the perfect example of ‘evil slutty dumb blonde’. Baby is someone a guy like Angel would brag to about murdering someone. So that’s how I’m trying to act around them. Trust me on this one.”

Wesley chuckled. “I would never dream of doubting you. You’re one hell of a woman, Ms. Summers. William Rayne is lucky to have you in his corner.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~