Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for all the reviews. You guys are the best. To thank you, here's the next chapter as promised. Enjoy and keep the reviews coming :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 41
Testing friendship's limits


A few minutes earlier…

Sitting on a plastic chair too small for his large frame, Charles Gunn was watching TV with a couple other inmates. He was bored out of his mind and wondering why of all the channels available, the guards had to leave it on the one airing Oprah. A psychic was currently telling the viewers how she was solving crimes using her ‘super psychic powers’. He looked around, hoping against all hopes that someone else would demand that the guard change the channel, but everybody seemed fascinated by what was happening on the TV screen. He sighed, wishing Spike were there bitching about missing Passions again.

Standing up to leave, Gunn noticed Bill walking into the room. Bill had been with Spike in the library so he walked up to him and asked if he’d seen Spike.

“Why the fuck should I care where Rayne is? He’s probably somewhere pissing someone off. That’s what the asshole does best, isn’t it?”

“Thanks, man, that was helpful.”

“Always a pleasure to be of help.” The large, bald guy snickered disdainfully before walking away.

“Charles?”

Gunn turned around when someone tapped him on the shoulder, only to roll his eyes in annoyance when he saw Andrew standing there.

“What do you want, Frodo?”

“I overheard you asking where Spike was.”

He took a deep breath, trying not to lose his patience. “And?”

“Well, I know.”

“Andrew, will you spit it out or do we have to stand here all day playing twenty questions? Where is he?”

The smaller man puffed out his chest in self importance. “We were leaving the library when the Warden asked him to stay behind to help her with something. That was half an hour ago so maybe he already left. But maybe he’s still there. Want me to go get him? Cause I could if you want.”

Gunn turned walked away without answering, leaving Andrew standing there.

“Want me to come with?”

“NO.” Charles snapped before walking out of the room.

“Everybody is just sooo rude in here.” Andrew mumbled to himself, before taking the chair Charles had vacated. “Oh! Oprah, yay!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present time…

Spike tried to speak, but the forearm crushing his larynx prevented him from making more than a weak groan.

“HOW COULD YOU? Of all the things you could have done, this is the WORST. Hurting a woman half you size?! What kind of a sick pervert coward are you? I’m disgusted to ever have called you my friend.” Charles spat in Spike’s face.

“Charles!” Buffy yelled, trying to get him away from Spike. But he didn’t even hear her in his fury.

“I thought you were a good guy, Spike!”

Spike managed to kick him hard enough to make him loosen his hold on his throat. But right away, Charles retaliated with a right hook that sent Spike sprawling on the floor.

“She’s the warden, you dumbass. They’re gonna put you away for good. And I’m not even sorry for…”

“ENOUGH!!!”

Buffy was standing there, hands on her hips, her face flushed with embarrassment and anger, her hair wild around her face. She’d managed to lower her skirt and button her shirt the best she could in such a hurry.

When she had the black man’s attention, she lowered her voice. “Charles, calm down. Spike wasn’t hurting me.”

The rage contorting his features changed to confusion, then understanding.

“Yeah mate, I appreciate the vote of confidence.” Spike croaked from where he was still on the floor, a hand massaging his sore throat. “Nice to see that you eagerly jump to the worst possible bloody conclusion about me.”

Letting go of his painful throat, he took the pants that were still hanging from one of his ankle, and swiftly pulled them on. Wide eyed, Charles looked from Spike to Buffy, to Spike again. He took a step back. “Dude, you’re not serious…”

Buffy looked away and busied herself tucking her shirt inside her skirt. She smoothed down the wrinkles on her skirt and ran her fingers through her hair.

Spike stood up and wiped his bloody lip with the sleeve of his shirt. “Yeah, we are.”

“But… The table… And the ‘please stop’?..”

Buffy answered this one, still unable to look him in the eyes. “Table wasn’t as sturdy as we thought it was. And the ‘please stop’ is out of context.”

“Holy fuck!”

Buffy glanced toward Spike. “You OK?”

“’m fine, pet.”

“Can you wait here? I’ll be right back.”

Spike frowned, not sure what she was going to do, but nodded anyway. “Sure. I’ll tidy up the room a bit. It’s a bloody mess in here. Someone’s gonna ask questions.”

She walked up to Gunn, grabbed his arm and led him out of the room and to a table in a corner. “We need to talk.”

They both sat and an awkward silence settled over them. Two people couldn’t have looked more uncomfortable if they’d tried. Buffy was playing with a loose tread on the hem of her skirt, her eyes downcast. But she needed to act like a grown up and say what she had to say so she took a deep breath and looked at him.

“Charles, what happened in there…”

“Is none of my business.” He hurriedly answered, not giving her a chance to explain. He wanted nothing to do with this if he could help it.

“You’re absolutely right.” She said, surprising him into looking up at her. “It’s between Spike and I, but you saw it, so it makes it your business. Look… You’re not a stupid man. You know this gives you a lot of power over me and you could make my life miserable if you wanted to. I don’t know what to say or do to convince you to keep this to yourself.”

Gunn’s eyes lit up with outrage. “Excuse me, but with all due respect… Ms. Summers…”

“You’ve seen me half naked, I think you can call me Buffy.” She tried to joke, but he didn’t smile.

“With all due respect, Buffy, I’d like to point out that I was actually trying to help you in there. Why would I go from trying to help you to trying to ruin your life?”

She blushed slightly and looked down. “I know it doesn’t sound very rational seen that way. But if you were in my position, you wouldn’t want to take any chances either.”

“Yeah well, sorry for saying that but I think you took plenty of chances when you--did what you did--with both the library and the study room doors unlocked.”

She gave him a tight, humorless smile. “Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed.”

“All I’m saying is you’re lucky it was just me. You have a lot of enemies in here, ya know. You’re the warden, you’re not exactly the most popular girl on the block.”

“…I know.”

“But I’ll keep my mouth shut. No need to worry about that. I would have even if you hadn’t asked me. I know it didn’t show in there, but Spike’s my friend. Or at least, he was. Not too sure after how I reacted. But that’s not the point. He’s my friend and I don’t make an habit of getting my friends killed. And believe me, he will get killed if the word ever comes out that he’s doing the warden. I’m surprised he didn’t get his ass kicked after jumping to your defense in the cafeteria in January, but after something like this, I don’t think he would make it through the day in one piece. So no, I won’t talk. You have my word.”

“Thank you. It means a lot to me. And to him.”

Gunn stood up. “Yeah, don’t mention it. Can you just tell Spike that I’m sorry? I didn’t mean to assume that he was trying to rape you. I should have given him the benefit of the doubt, but I’m an impulsive guy.”

Buffy smiled at the flustered man standing in front of her. “Don’t worry. I’ll make him see that you were just trying to protect me and he’ll forgive you.”

Gunn nodded and walked out of the library.

Buffy stood there for a long moment before finally going back to the study room. Spike had pushed the chairs neatly against the wall, and piled what was left of the table in a corner by the door. He didn’t turn to look at her when she walked in.

“What do we do with the table, luv?”

“I’ll lock the room and ask Giles to get rid of it tomorrow morning.”

He didn’t answer, just kept on buttoning his shirt in silence, his back still to her.

Buffy walked up to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, pressing her cheek against his tensed back.

“Are you all right?”

“Just dandy, luv. I just got my arse kicked by my best friend because he thought I was capable of raping a woman. Everything’s great.”

“Oh, come on. Put yourself in his shoes. It did look suspicious. The broken table, you pinning me beneath you, me telling you to stop… He was just trying to protect me. He was really upset. You should talk to him.”

“Is he gone?”

“Yes, he just left. He said our secret is safe with him. He said he didn’t want his buddy Spike getting killed for screwing the very unpopular warden.”

She let go of him and forced him to face her. He was still sulking so she placed her hands on either side of his head and pulled him into a kiss. “We really, REALLY, suck at having a secret love affair, you know.”

Spike half smiled, not able to hide his amusement from her. “I’ve noticed. And I’ve also noticed you have a problem understanding the concept of locks.”

She pouted. “Are you saying it’s my fault?”

“Hey, I didn’t say anything. But if the soddin’ hat fits…”

She hit him playfully. “Fine, I’ll admit it. It was my fault. But Giles was your fault so we’re even.”

They kissed passionately for a few moments before Spike pushed away to look at her. “Didn’t you have something important to tell me?”

Buffy smiled up at him. “Yes. I did. But I honestly think we’ve had enough emotions for today. And we’ve been in here long enough, you need to go back. It’s something that we need time to discuss. It will be best if I see you in my office sometime this week. I’ll talk to Giles and ask him to find a way to get us time together.”

“All right, pet.”

They locked lips one last time, then Buffy took a step back.

“You better go.” She said sadly.

“Yeah. I guess I should.”

“And promise me you’ll talk to Gunn. I don’t want you guys to fight because of what happened. He’s your only friend in here.”

“Fine, I’ll talk to the wanker.”

“Promise?”

“Promise.”

She watched him leave, then sank in one of the chairs by the wall.

Another apocalypse averted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~