Author's Chapter Notes:
I know you guys have all been waiting a long time for this chapter, so please let me know what you think. I really hope you enjoy it and the only way for me to know if you do is by reading your reviews. ;)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 53: Bad man

The antique dresser in her bedroom was Buffy's favorite piece of furniture. It was beautifully hand carved with gold accents and gave the room a touch of warmth while complementing the rest of her decor perfectly.. Buffy inherited it from her grandmother and she cherished it. She had adored her grandmother and the old woman returned the sentiment just as fervently. Just like Buffy, she had been a strong minded and passionate woman. Now, this was all she had left of the old woman. Sitting in front of the dresser, Buffy concentrated on her image in the mirror, skillfully applying the last touch to her make up. She put down the brush and admired the result. A little heavy, a little slutty, but flawless. She smiled at herself and stood up. Black, pointy stilettos, short black leather skirt and silver backless halter top. With her hair loose on her shoulder, she knew she was hot enough to crack even the most evil murderers. Or get killed. Whatever.

Buffy was making her way to the living room when someone knocked on the door. She went to open the door, hoping that it wasn't Cordelia coming back for a hundredth attempt at making her change her mind. She had sent Cordy, Dawn and Faith on their way the night before, after her epiphany, but Cordy hadn't been happy about the turn of events at all. She tried again and again to talk some sense into Buffy. The only reason she gave up was because she was tired and had a long drive to L.A. Maybe now that she was well rested, she decided to drive back to keep trying.

"Buffy, hi!"

"Willow?" Buffy stepped aside to let the red head walk in, all the while taking in her appearance with a stunned look. "What are you doing here? Dressed like... that?"

Willow looked fabulous. She had pinned her short red hair on the side of her head, wispy strands sweeping across her forehead. Her eye make up was minimal, contrasting with her dark, dramatic lipstick. She was wearing a short, skin tight green dress and peep toe black pumps.

Willow had a sheepish look on her face and bit her lower lip, not answering.

"Well?" Buffy prompted. "What are you doing here all dressed up? Don't tell me you actually want to come with me..."

"When you called earlier to tell me that Darla invited me too, and how psycho she was to think I'd even consider going back there... I laughed along with you. And yes, I did think it was crazy--at first. But after I hung up, I was thinking about it, and, I think I could help."

"What?! NO. Noooo way." Buffy shook her head emphatically. "You are not going anywhere near that house, Will. It's my fight. I'm the one taking the risk and I'm not dragging you into this. Not after what happened last time."

"Think about it, Buffy. It would be much safer if there's two of us. And I could provide diversion. We decide which one of them is drunker and more likely to spill, then I distract the other one. Makes perfect sense, doesn't it?"

"Nah ah. I don't think so." Buffy crossed her arms, not willing to give an inch.

Unfortunately, Willow wasn't willing to back down either in this battle of wills.

"See this?" She pointed at her face. "Resolve face. Don't even try, no one has ever been able to resist it."

"You know, Spike thinks I'm the most stubborn woman in the world. He obviously doesn't know you well enough yet."

"Is that a yes, then?" Willow asked hopefully.

Buffy sighed, then agreed reluctantly. "Fine. But don't blame me if something happens."

She picked up her purse and hooked her arm with Willow's. "Ready?"

"Yeppers. Let's get this show on the road."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "That is so cliché."

Willow laughed and they walked out the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The two women made their way to a car parked at the corner of Main and Aurelius, high heels clacking noisily on the empty street. The inside of the car was dark, but two figures could be seen in the shadows if you were looking attentively. The car doors opened almost simultaneously, revealing Wesley and a tall woman with her blonde hair pulled back into a simple ponytail and wearing an outfit that just screamed cop.

“Hey Wesley.”

“Hello, Buffy. Ready to do this?”

“Ready... Such a big word.” Buffy chuckled nervously.

“Buffy, this is my friend Kate Lockley.”

The woman nodded briefly, her face expressionless.

“Hi, pleased to meet you.” Buffy said politely, feeling slightly uneasy in front of the quiet woman.

“Likewise.”

“This is Willow. Willow... Wesley and Kate.”

Willow waved, a shy smile on her lips. “Hi.”

With the pleasantries out of the way, Wesley got down to business. He presented Buffy with a device the size of a pencil eraser.

"What's this?" Buffy asked, frowning at the tiny little thing sitting in the palm of her hand. Willow was looking curiously over her shoulder.

"It's a microphone, isn't it?" Willow asked the PI.

"Indeed, it is. Kate and I will be listening in on what's going on in the house. You hide this somewhere on your person, and we will be able to hear everything you, or anyone around you say. Everything will be recorded."

Buffy started shaking her head skeptically. "Oh, I don't know. Can I trust this thing to work? Shouldn't I have some kind of recording device on me instead? Some good old fashion recorder, you know, with a play button, stop, record..."

Kate and Wesley exchanged an amused look.

"Buffy," Kate explained patiently. "This happens to be the most expensive, most sophisticated piece of equipment you can find. Believe me, it's far more trustworthy than you could imagine."

"Let's give it a try now, shall we?" Wesley suggested.

He sat in the car seat and played for a moment with something Buffy couldn't see before turning back to her. "Why don't you try saying something?"

"Uh... OK. What should I say?"

Wesley smirked and after he pressed a button, Buffy's voice could be heard clearly: "Uh... OK. What should I say?" Buffy and Willow chuckled. "Wow, impressive."

"Where do you buy something like this?" Willow asked curiously. "It would be neat to have. I could find out what my brown nosing secretary says when I'm not around."

Kate smiled at the red head. "Some things you're better off not knowing. Believe me, I'm a woman working in a police station--I know."

Buffy and Willow exchanged a look.

Buffy snorted her amusement. "Yeah, And we're two women working in an all male prison." She pointed out.

"Oh. Right." Kate nodded, her normally expressionless face suddenly sympathetic.

"All right, all right ladies. As fun as this is, I think Angel and Darla are waiting."

"You're right, Wesley. Let's go."

He grabbed Buffy’s arm to stop her walking away. "There's still time to change your mind if you're uneasy about this in any way."

"Not changing my mind, Wesley. Besides, I'm not worried. You got my back, right?"

"Absolutely, Buffy. Good luck and stay safe. If something doesn't feel right, anything, get out of there."

"We will." She turned to her friend. "Come on, Will. Let's do this."

Wesley and Kate watched the two women walk away, then went back in the car to wait.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her legs tucked to the side, Buffy was pretending to be fascinated by every word coming out of Angel's mouth. It was obvious that the man's biggest weakness was his arrogance. She'd never been in the presence of someone so in love with himself before and it was almost fascinating.

It didn't take too long for Buffy to figure out who was the weakest link between Darla and Angel. Not only was Angel already considerably drunk when the two women showed up a few hours ago, but he was still under Buffy's spell. Not good old every day Buffy. The Buffy he witnessed in the alley a week ago. She apparently had him wrapped around her little finger, and that was definitely something she could work with.

Being the brainy, insightful woman that she was, Willow had noticed as well and was doing her best to distract Darla.

At first, the red head had been a little tense and awkward, but she was now visibly relaxing and getting in the game. It was funny watching her. Buffy couldn't help thinking her friend looked like an evil doppelganger. Or maybe Bizarre-o-world Willow. Even the way she laughed was different. Louder, more confident. Buffy was impressed, and grateful to have her friend with her. She'd been reluctant to see the positive of having Willow there at first, but she now saw the possible benefits. Namely, getting Darla out of the way. She just hoped Willow could do it before Angel passed out drunk.

Trying to pay attention to whatever the hell Angel was going on about, Buffy lost track of what was going on the other side of the living room. Darla had been digging through boxes, getting increasingly frustrated. She finally stood up and kicked one of the boxes, spilling its content on the floor.

Buffy almost jumped out of her skin at the sudden noise. "What's going on?"

Darla turned eyes blazing with anger in her husband's direction. "Did you smoke all the weed, you moron?"

Angel giggled drunkenly, indifferent to his wife's anger. "Yeah. So?"

"I told you I was saving some for tonight. God you're useless!"

And that's when Willow saw her opening. The perfect way of getting Darla away from Buffy and Angel.

"Damn! That really sucks. Your cousin mentioned that you knew where to get the best stuff and I didn't get to try it the other day. Ya know... Because I was busy getting roofied and almost raped. Fun times." She said innocently, hoping to make Darla feel at least a bit guilty so she would accept getting out of the house on a “weed errand”. At this point, she was afraid her only other option to distract the blonde would be to come on to her. So not something she wanted to do.

Darla's face softened a bit. "Oh honey, I told you I'm sorry about that, right? Tonight was supposed to be my way of apologizing and damn it, if I have to go across town to get some weed and make this little get together more fun, I will."

Willow's smile lit up her face. Bingo.

"We could go together." She suggested.

Buffy's disagreement was plain to see on her face, but Willow ignored her.

Darla put her arm around Willow's shoulder. "That's settled then. Let's go."

And without another word, she led the petite red head out of the house. Willow barely had time to look over her shoulder at Buffy and give her a brave smile before the door shut on the two women.

Right away, Buffy leaped into action. She put her hand on Angel's thigh and gave him her sexiest smile. "So, it's just you and me, then."

Angel smirked, a failed attempt at looking dangerous and sexy. "Looks like."

Not wanting to let things get too out of control, Buffy stood up to put some distance between her and Angel.

"Want something to drink?" She asked over her shoulder while walking up to the table where they kept all the booze.

"Double Scotch, neat. I don't like ice diluting my drink."

"Of course."

While serving the drinks, Buffy spotted the perfect way to melt Angel's heart and lower his guard. CDs had been carelessly thrown on the table, the one on top being ‘The best of Manilow’.

"Oh my God, are you a Manilow fan?"

Angel automatically got defensive, his forehead wrinkling into an unattractive scowl. "Yeah... So what? He's very talented."

"I know!" She exclaimed, faking excitement as best she could. "Shit, I love the guy. He's great."

Angel's face lit up like a little boy on Christmas morning.

"Mind if I put it on? Mandy is my all time favorite."

"Damn straight! Mandy's a classic."

Angel started singing a very off key rendition of Mandy, and Buffy joined him.

"Oh Mandy, and you gave and you gave without taking, but I gave you away oh Mandy."

They giggled like teenagers.

Buffy put on the CD, hoping it would shut him up because if she had to listen to him singing for one more minute, she might just have to kill him. Then she went back to sit next to him on the couch.

She indulged Angel for a few moments, remaining silent as he closed his eyes and hummed to the music.

"For our first date, I took Darla to a Manilow concert in Vegas. She worked at a casino there. I had lost all my money at a poker game, but I managed to sneak us in without paying. I think that made the concert even sweeter."

"I bet it did. Free stuff is always better. Why pay when you can get it for free, right?"

"Absolutely, beautiful. I think you and I are a lot alike."

Buffy giggled, hating herself for how stupid she sounded. But it seemed to work because Angel winked at her.

"I'm so glad I met you and Darla. I was starting to think there weren't any interesting people in this town. Everybody is just sooo boring. Church going soccer moms and their boring ass business man husbands. I hated this place until I met you. People I hang out with don't get me."

"Why? Because you're a bad girl?"

"Oh, I'm bad all right. Don't get fooled by that sweet, innocent face."

Angel laughed. "Yeah, I saw that last week. You have balls, girl."

"What about you, Angel. Are you bad?"

"Badder than you could imagine, baby."

Buffy raised a delicate brow, a smirk on her luscious lips. "Really? You don't look so tough to me."

She laughed at the outraged expression on his face.

"Fine. You're tough. Where did you get the nickname? Angel isn't exactly a tough guy's name." She knew she was pushing the limits, but she needed to make him want to prove himself to her and it was the best way she could think of.

"Not all angels are good. The devil is a fallen angel, isn't he?"

"Good point."

"Actually, Darla is the one who came up with the name. She said I have the face of an angel and the heart of the devil. It stuck."

Buffy sat a little closer to him and rested her hand casually on his thigh.

“So... Tell me, Angel, did you ever do anything really bad?" She batted her eyelashes innocently at him. "Like rob a bank or something like that?”

Angel smirked, obviously eager to impress the cute blonde. “Well… Depends what you mean by ‘bad’. Personally, I don’t think it’s bad, more like hilarious.”

“Oh!” She exclaimed excitedly. “What did you do?”

He drank his Scotch in two long swallow and put the glass down on the coffee table. "I don't think I should talk about that. Darla would kill me..."

He was so drunk, his head was bobbing slightly and he couldn’t sit straight. His speech was slurred and he had a stupid lazy smile on his lips. Buffy was afraid he’d fall asleep on her, or start getting incoherent.

She pouted. No man could resist the Summers’ pout. "Oh come on! Sounds exciting and I'm all curious now. She doesn't need to know you told me." Buffy rubbed his thigh suggestively. "It will be our little secret."

Angel's eyes glazed over, a sudden erection tenting his pants.

“All right." He said hesitantly. A part of him knew he should shut up, but he was too drunk, aroused and incredibly arrogant too care. "We used to live with a loser and his junkie girlfriend. He was a pathetic poet wanna be and we got stuck with him for a few years. Well let’s just say his life took an interesting turn about a year or so ago.”

It didn’t seem like Angel would give anymore details so Buffy encouraged him by leaning forward to expose some cleavage and giving him her most dazzling smile. Swallowing down her disgust for the man, she let her hand wander higher on his thigh, lightly grazing the hard bulge in his pants. He shut his eyes for a moment, sighing in contentment.

“What did you do to that loser?” She prompted.

Angel’s eyes were dark with desire when he opened them again, making Buffy shiver involuntarily. “Sent the pathetic boy to jail. That’s what I did.”

“Really? How did you do that? Was he like, a bad guy or something?”

“William?” Angel laughed at the idea. “Lil’ Willy was the biggest sissy boy I’ve ever met. I don’t think Mr. Rayne ever stole a candy bar, or killed a fly, his whole life. Isn’t it ironic that he’s now rotting in jail for the murder of a bitch I shot? Bang! Right through the chest.”

She did her best to look impressed. She had all she needed, but he didn't say the name of the victim and she wasn't sure if it might make the confession useless. "Wow, that takes a lot of guts! You're awesome. Who was she? Why did she live with you guys?"

"Drusilla was entertaining for a while. She was freaky kinky in bed and Darla liked having her around for threesomes. My girl likes diversity. That's why I invited her and her boyfriend to stay here with us. But Dru got clingy. So I killed two birds with one stone. Believe me, the world won't miss a useless junkie like Drusilla Blackwell. And William Rayne in jail was too hilarious a thought to pass."

Buffy desperately wanted to run to the bathroom to empty the content of her stomach. She had to press her hands on her knees to stop them from shaking too much, but she managed to smile brightly at the murderous bastard anyway. “That is so clever! What a loser. I hope we get to do exciting stuff like that together someday. We could be like Bonnie and Clyde, only with two women instead. Wouldn't that be just awesome?”

Angel laughed heartily.

Buffy took her empty glass and pouted prettily. “Aww, looky. No more.”

As expected, Angel got up, swaying on his feet a little. “Let me get you a refill, sweet cheeks.”

He poured her a Vodka tonic and came back to sit next to her.

“Here you go, pretty face. Lots of ice just the way you like it.”

“Thanks. You’re so sweet. I’ll just go to the bathroom for a sec. Ya know… all that alcohol has to come out.” She giggled as stupidly as she could manage, hoping he hadn’t noticed how shaky her voice was.

“Sure thing. But hurry up. I just saw Darla park her car in the driveway. I have fun games planned for the four of us. If you know what I mean. I just hope your friend is up for it.”

Buffy grinned at him. “I'm sure she can be convinced. I can’t wait.”

She walked into the bathroom and locked the door behind her. Then, pulling her cell phone out of her purse, she dialed Wesley's number with trembling fingers. He answered right away. When Buffy heard his voice, all the control she had managed to muster in front of Angel disappeared and she burst into tears.

“Buffy, please calm down. We already called for back up. Kate and I are leaving the car as we speak. We'll be there right away.”

“Did… did you get it? It worked, right? It wasn’t all for nothing? Please tell me it wasn’t all for nothing!”

“Don’t worry. We got everything we need. He’s not going to get away with it.”

Buffy tried to keep her voice down, afraid Angel would hear. She was only now realizing just how dangerous the situation was and exactly why Spike hadn’t wanted her to do this.

“I’m stuck in the bathroom with a murderer in the living room, Wesley. Please, hurry!”

“Try to stay in the bathroom. You should be safe there until we arrive.”

“Yeah, I don’t think I’m going anywhere. Just... Don’t let him escape. There’s a back door to the house.”

“Is he alone right now?”

“No. Darla and Willow just came back a minute ago... Oh my God, Willow!”

Buffy started crying again, scared for her friend. She also worried that she’d already spent too much time in the bathroom and that Angel would come knocking any time now.

“Buffy, you have to calm down. The cops are just around the corner. They’ll be there any time now.”

As Buffy expected, there was a knock on the bathroom door.

“Buffy? It’s Darla. Are you all right in there?”

She took a deep breath before answering, trying to calm her thumping heart. “Yeah. Sorry. I’m just being sick a little. Too much booze.”

“Open the door, I’ll help you.”

“No. It’s ok, Dar. I’ll be out in a minute. I feel better. I just need to wash my face.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. I’m sure.”

“You don’t sound too well.”

“I’m fine. Promise. Give me a sec, I‘ll be right as rain.”

Everything went silent, and Buffy could make out the sound of police sirens coming from outside.

“Buffy? Listen to me.” Wesley said. “If he agrees to go to the station, it will be fine. But there’s a chance he won’t go without a fight. Things could get ugly. I need you to stay in the bathroom until I get you. Understood?”

“I will.” Without another word, she hung up and waited for the proverbial shit to hit the fan.

Suddenly, there was a bang coming from the living room, followed by a loud crack and some shouting. She heard Angel yelling “What the Fuck!?” in the commotion that followed.

She knew she should stay in the bathroom until everything cleared like Wesley said, but she was too curious and she needed to see the man who had sent Spike to jail being taken under custody. She opened the bathroom door, the cell phone still in her hand.

The scene taking place in front of her was chaotic to say the least. Angel was on the ground, face first with two cops trying to immobilize him while another one was reading him his rights. Things wouldn't have gone this far if the man had cooperated, but of course, as soon as he'd seen the cops, he had tried to run to the back door. He hadn't taken more than three steps when one of the cops had tackled him to the floor.

Wesley and Kate were standing to the side, both with their hands on their weapons in case things got even more out of control. Angel was yelling and cursing, bucking up like a mad man to try to get rid of the cop on his back. Somewhere nearby, Darla was shrieking deafeningly. Willow had her back against the wall not too far from where Buffy was standing and was pale as a ghost.

Buffy was in a daze. It seemed like everything was happening in slow motion. She vaguely heard one of the cops asking from where he was standing by the broken front door if she was all right. She nodded, still staring at Angel.

That’s when out of nowhere, Darla rushed her, screaming. No one had noticed her, too busy taking care of Angel.

“You fucking bitch!! You did that! You did that!”

Before anyone could react, Willow instinctively jumped in front of Buffy with no thoughts for her own safety. The pocket knife Darla was holding missed its intended target and imbedded itself in Willow's stomach instead.

In a flash, two of the cops were on Darla, pulling her away from Willow and throwing her to the ground to handcuff her.

Buffy caught her friend in her arms. There was some shouting. She could hear someone calling an ambulance on a radio, but it all seemed to come from far away. All she could see was Willow's pale face.

"Are you OK? Did she get you?" Strangely, the question Buffy should have been asking came from Willow.

Too shocked to say anything, Buffy shook her head.

Willow smiled weakly. "Good."

Then passed out.