~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHAPTER 56: Homecoming

Buffy sat stiffly in the passenger seat of her own car, her hand resting on Spike's thigh. She needed to reassure herself that he was there. The decision to let him drive had been easy to make. On her best day, she wasn‘t the most skilled of drivers--although she'd rather die than admit it--but driving would have been simply impossible in her current emotional state. Her hands were still shaking badly and she couldn't focus on anything. It wouldn't do to kill Spike on his first night out. But even with him behind the wheel, it still took considerably longer than usual to reach Buffy's house. They missed three different turns because Buffy forgot to indicate where to turn.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled unhappily. "I don't know what's wrong with me. You'd think I would know how to get home. I should do like little kids and walk around with a note in my bag saying: "Hi, I'm Buffy Summers. My address is..."

"It's alright, pet. We both had a rough day. We'll get there when we'll get there. I don't think anything could ruin my mood tonight. I feel like I'm on top of the world." He winked at her.

She returned his smile, but it didn't quite reach her eyes. The silence returned in the car, the only noise, the purr of the engine. Buffy was looking out the window at people walking on the sidewalk, houses and shops she saw every day, but nothing seemed real. She was in a dreamlike state. The kind of beautiful dream that you can't fully enjoy because of a lingering feeling of anxiety and fear threatening to choke you.

She was nervous. Everything happened so fast despite how long it took to actually get there. For months and months, she had worked to get Spike out of jail. All this time, things were barely moving at all. Then it all happened in a matter of twenty four hours and she was at a loss for what to do and how to react. There was the terrifying question of: "What do we do now?" lurking ahead and she didn't know how to answer it. It was one of those ‘let‘s cross the bridge when we get there’ thing. Well, they were at the bridge now, and she had no clue what was on the other side.

"Third one on the left." Buffy indicated when they neared the house.

Spike turned in the driveway then killed the engine. For a few seconds, they remained seated in silence.

"You're awfully quiet, pet. Mind telling me what's wrong?"

Still looking ahead, she did her best to smile. "Nothing's wrong. Why would you think there's something wrong?"

"The tears spilling out of your eyes, for one thing..."

Buffy lifted a hand to her face to brush off a stray tear. She hadn't even noticed she was crying. Her heart was beating fast. Now that Spike was there, next to her, her head had flooded with insecurities.

He grabbed her chin with a gentle hand and made her turn her head and look at him.

"This is supposed to be a happy moment, kitten. Why don't you tell me what's wrong before my imagination starts running wild and I come to the conclusion that you're not happy to have me here?"

Buffy's eyes filled with horror at the idea that he would even think that for a second and she shook her head vehemently. "What? No! I've never been so happy in my life, I swear."

"But?" He prompted.

She looked down, unable to make herself meet his eyes. "I've also never been so scared before."

"Scared? Of what?" Spike asked, genuinely puzzled by this new piece of information.

"So many things…” Buffy chuckled humorlessly and looked at everything but him. “I'm afraid that now that you see me in everyday life, you’ll realize that I'm not what you had expected me to be, that I might not be enough for you. I'm afraid you'll be disappointed. I can’t help thinking, God, what if it doesn't work? What if I lose you? And what happens next? I planned everything up to now, but it never occurred to me to think of after."

Spike sat back in his seat and stared straight ahead at the garage door. He sighed deeply. "And you think I don't feel the exact same way?"

Buffy opened her mouth to reply and then shut it again, his unexpected question rendering her speechless.

"All the fears and insecurities you were talking about, I'm going through the same thing. Probably even worse because I'm the one who's barging into your already established life and turning it upside down."

"But, I want you in my life." She said in a small voice. "You're not turning it upside down."

"Doesn't change the fact I have a million bloody questions too. How do I know what I'm supposed to do now? I don't have a soddin’ clue what your intentions are and what you think is supposed to happen next. Am I supposed to live here, or rent a hotel room until I find an apartment? Or should I stay here until I find my own place? How long?"

"Spike, of course I want you to stay with me... If you want to, I mean."

"Buffy, pet, what I'm trying to say is, we haven't talked about anything yet. So it's normal to feel insecure about each other's feelings and intentions about the future. It's not like me getting out of prison was a thing set in concrete the way you would plan a vacation, or a party or a wedding. We haven't sat together and said "here's what's going to happen, and how we're going to deal with this." But we'll figure it out. Together."

He turned back to her, took her face between his hands and gave her a heartfelt kiss. "We will figure it out, so stop worrying, all right?"

Buffy nodded and smiled, her smile a lot more genuine than it had been earlier.

"Good.” He said. “So what do you say we get out of this car and get inside so you can show me around your house? I'm really knackered."

Buffy only realized how tired she was herself while giving Spike the tour of the house. It's ironic how when you fantasize about a specific event, try to imagine how it will happen, and in reality things never go the way you wanted them to go. In her dreams, Spike's homecoming had been an event full of laughter and tears, spent making love in every room of the house. In reality, the last twenty four hours had taken a toll on both of them. Buffy yawned wide enough to make her jaw crack, and it had the resulting effect of making Spike yawn too. They laughed at how ridiculous it was.

"I'm sorry, Spike. I'll be fine. Maybe a coffee will help keep me awake."

Spike affectionately squeezed the hand he was holding. "Or maybe, you could show me the bedroom first, and the rest of the house in the morning."

Buffy's shoulders sagged in relief. "God yes."

Spike chuckled and pulled her into his arms. She clung to him, resting her head tiredly on his strong shoulder. "Which way?" He asked.

Buffy pointed to the door at the end of the hallway. Spike made her squeak in surprised when he lifted her off the floor and gathered her in his arms. She put her arms around his neck, laughing.

"C'mon sleeping beauty, let's tuck you into bed."

He pushed the bedroom door open with his foot then walked in and put Buffy down carefully on the bed. He looked around admiringly.

"This is quite posh. Much nicer than my last digs, that's for bloody damn sure."

Buffy looked down almost shyly. "If it's too girly, we can redecorate together. I don't mind."

He knelt on the floor in front of her, spreading her legs a little so he could get closer to her. “It's perfect as it is, and no serious conversations tonight, pet. I told you we'll figure all of this out tomorrow, and in the next couple of weeks. There will be a lot to think about, a lot to figure out, and we can't do it all in one night. Right now, we need to sleep. That's what we need."

She nodded her head then watched in silence as he undid the buttons of her blouse one at a time before pushing it off her shoulders.

"Spike?"

"Yeah, pet?"

"We'll be fine, right?"

He smiled softly while unbuttoning her pants and pulling them off. "Yes. I honestly believe we will be. It'll just take a few adjustments, is all."

He took off her bra and panties, then looked with satisfaction at his handiwork before making her lie down on the bed, still unmade from the previous night. He stood up and made quick work of his own clothes. Buffy scooted aside to make some room for him, extending welcoming arms. She didn't have to ask twice. Spike lay down next to her and pulled her against him.

With her head resting comfortably on his chest, Buffy felt sleep over taking her. She tried her best to fight it, blinking her eyes to try to keep them open. She left a trail of lazy kisses on his hard and smooth chest while he ran a loving hand through her hair. When he felt her slow down and finally stop, he looked down at her through heavy eyelids. He smiled, thinking she had left for dreamland already, but she suddenly shook herself awake and resume her task. Spike chuckled.

"Close your eyes and sleep, luv."

"But..." She tried to protest before a yawn interrupted her.

"No but, kitten. We have all the time in the world now."

"I had plans, damn it. Fun plans that involved you and I naked and not sleeping."

"Tomorrow. We'll be well rested and have double the fun, I promise."

"Yeah..." Buffy mumbled, already half asleep. "Tomorrow will be a good day."

"I love you, Buffy. What you did for me..."

"... is something I don't want you to thank me for. You never asked for anything. I did it because I love you and I wanted to do it."

They kissed, and in a matter of minutes, they were both deeply asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In that moment between sleep and consciousness, that place where you linger for a while before completely emerging from your dreams, Buffy became aware of a few things. The anxiety she had become accustomed to over the past couple of months was gone. It was a strange feeling. Almost like something was amiss. She could finally breathe. Then, there was the physical sensations coursing through her. That too was new. Well, at least in the bed where she’d been sleeping alone for so long. Lips were suckling on her right breast, sending waves of pleasure straight to her womb. Spike.

Buffy’s eyes shot opened when she remembered last night. Spike was in her bed. HER Spike was finally in HER bed! She’d been dreaming of this moment for months, and now he was there. And she’d been asleep instead of enjoying every moment of it like she should have.

Before Spike was even aware that Buffy was awake, she had grabbed him under his arms and pulled him up to her. He gasped in surprise, clearly not expecting that, but didn’t have a chance to say a thing because Buffy’s warm lips were on his in the next moment, kissing the breath out of him.

He pulled away and smiled down at her. “Good morning, luv.”

She smiled back. “’morning.”

“Mind if I get back to what I was doing, pet?”

She chuckled. “Oh, by all means...”

He went back to placing light kisses on the tender skin of her breast, and this time, slipped his hand between her legs to gently caress her. Buffy’s back arched off the bed as soon as he made contact with her over heated flesh. Almost as soon, Spike removed his hand and rested it on her lower stomach.

“Hey!” Buffy protested.

Spike played innocent. “Something wrong?”

“Why did you stop?” She complained in a still sleepy voice.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Were you enjoying that?”

She smacked him on the arm and Spike chuckled. “Yes I was. Any chance you might carry on?”

“Maybe if you ask nicely.” He said before returning to flicking her nipple with the tip of his tongue.

Buffy pouted. “Pretty please?”

His talented fingers returned to where she desperately wanted them, briefly playing with her clit before sinking deeper between the folds of aroused flesh. Buffy shivered and closed her eyes, a soft gasp passing her parted lips.

She felt Spike move against her. He was pulling himself up in the bed until he was so close that his lips were grazing hers. Buffy opened her eyes and found herself staring into ocean blue ones.

“I love you, Buffy. Never thought I’d be so lucky to meet someone like you.”

“Makes two of us. Who would have thought I’d finally find the one for me in prison?”

Spike laughed. “Someone up there has a twisted sense of humor, pet. But it worked out perfectly well for the both of us, don’t you think?”

Buffy grinned happily. “Yep. Perfectly well. Are you gonna kiss me now, or are we just gonna chat for a while?”

Spike gave her that sexy smirk that had the power to make her heart beat faster.

“As much as I enjoy talking with you,” he said, “I’d rather be kissing you if that‘s OK.”

“Watch me not complain.”

He pressed his lips against hers and lovingly kissed her. While his tongue was busy making love to her tongue, he moved his body over hers, placing himself comfortably between her parted legs. Buffy lifted her hips to make contact with his body, enjoying the feel of his hard cock against her. He rubbed himself sensually against her wetness and groaned at the sensation coursing through his body.

“Bloody hell, pet. Need you so much.”

She reached down and grabbed hold of his straining erection, guiding him to her opening.

“Spike...” She moaned in pleasure when he slowly pushed himself inside of her.

He paused to give her body time to adjust to his invading cock. Spike laced his fingers with hers and rested his forehead against hers, then pushed all the way in. Buffy had a lazy smile on her lips and was looking up into the eyes of her lover.

Spike grinned back before saying in a husky voice:

“Now I can really say that I’m home.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sitting at a small table on a terrace bathed in the late afternoon Californian sun, a nervous looking young woman checked her make-up for the tenth time. She closed her compact with a flick or her wrist, annoyed at herself for being so insecure. Of course she was flawless. She was Harmony Kendall after all. Former Teen Queen, most popular girl in high school, declared most likely to marry a rich man, and crowned homecoming AND prom Queen more times than she could count. She was ALWAYS fabulous and any guy should be lucky to have a date with her.

She lifted her oversized Gucci sunglasses off her dainty little nose just enough to look down at the printed email she was holding in her hand. She then looked around to see if her date had arrived. Hotstud69 said he was tall, blond, had dark eyes, and would be wearing a blue shirt and jeans.

Yes, her date. As in internet date. Online dating was for losers and desperate people who couldn't find a date normally. That was her opinion and she firmly believed in it. Didn’t mean she couldn’t try something new when she was bored, right? And no matter how this looked like, she was not desperate. But a girl has to keep her options opened. And besides, her friend Jamie's boyfriend's sister's friend had been on perfectmatch.com and found the man of her life. So why not.

Harmony opened her pink rhinestone covered compact again and checked to make sure she didn't have any lip gloss on her teeth. She pushed her sunglasses on top of her head and looked at herself from every angle, smiling happily at her reflection. Perfect skin, perfectly shiny bubble gum pink lips, sparkly gold eye shadow, not one blonde hair out of place. Nope. Nothing to worry about.

"Harmony?"

Vaguely annoyed to be seen by someone she knew, she lifted her head to look at the man standing in front of her, her nose scrunched up and tiny frown lines between her perfectly plucked brows. It couldn't be her date since he only knew her as Tinkerbelle_Pink. She hadn’t given him her real name yet.

The frown was replaced by a brilliant smile when she recognized her ex-coworker, Jake Saunders. She had been sad to see him get fired because he was the only one at the prison who truly appreciated the value of a good gossip.

"Jake! Oh my God, it's been forever! What are you doing here?"

The tall blond man, who had made an effort to look suitably surprised to see her, now forced a chuckle and looked down, faking embarrassment. "I'm here to meet my date."

Always the theatrical one, Harmony put her hand over her heart. "Get out! So am I. What a coincidence."

"Actually, not really." Jake did his best to smile charmingly. He pointed at the flower in Harmony's hair. "My date said she would wear a pink orchid in her hair so I could recognize her."

Harmony opened and shut her mouth a few times in shock before speaking. "You're Hotstud69?"

"Yeah, that'd be me. Not too disappointed I hope?"

The bubbly blonde shook her head, the grin threatening to split her face in half. "Oh no, absolutely not. I'm glad it's you. I've missed you at work. It's totally boring without my gossip buddy." She winked flirtatiously at him.

Jake was smiling too, but for entirely different reasons. It would be even easier than he'd originally thought to get all the dirt on Ms. Buffy Summers.

Yes, it was a beautiful day for revenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~