CHAPTER 10 - A Woman Of Many Disguises

"Don't forget that Liam Connell is coming today Uncle Rupert," Elizabeth reminded her relative as he followed her into the kitchen. They'd just finished breakfast and William was upstairs getting some papers that he needed for the University.

"I won't," Giles assured his niece with a smile. "I'm quite looking forward to meeting the young man. He's done much to improve his company since he took over, I believe."

Elizabeth nodded absently, one eye on the door as her stomach knotted in anticipation of William's return. Surprisingly, breakfast hadn't been the ordeal she was expecting. William had been attentive and polite, even going so far as to insisting that she finish eating while he got up to make another pot of tea.

Hearing the sound of him coming back down the stairs, she busied herself with the task of washing up by hand so that there was no need for her to do anything other than throw a curt 'goodbye' over her shoulder to them as he and her uncle left.

With the two men gone, Elizabeth felt herself completely relax for the first time in what felt like days. She quickly cleaned the rest of the dishes then left them on the side to drain and went upstairs.

Before she started work on her uncle's book, she needed to give the bedrooms a quick tidy and hoover. It wasn't a job she particularly liked but it needed to be done. Her uncle was generally fastidious when it came to his study but had a tendency, like most men, to be untidy in the bedroom and bathroom. Years as a bachelor had taught him not to bother unless he had company.

At that thought, Elizabeth let out an involuntary shudder as the idea of her uncle and 'company' sharing the same intimacy that she and William had made her cringe…so didn't need to go there!

After cleaning Giles' room, Elizabeth knew she had to do William's next. She stood outside the door for a good ten minutes, her hand reaching for the doorknob and being retracted at the last second countless times before she finally entered. Telling herself that he was just another one of her uncle's colleague's and nothing more, she cautiously walked in and closed the door behind her quietly.

To say she was surprised at how neat and tidy the room appeared was an understatement. The bed was made and the only piece of clothing that was on view was William's leather duster that was draped casually over a chair by the window. In fact, if it wasn't for that one item, Elizabeth would think that no-one was actually occupying the room.

Her eyes were drawn back to his coat and she slowly walked over to the chair. It was the same one he’d worn the fatal night they’d met, she was certain. Reaching out, she ran a hand over the worn leather marvelling at how soft it felt beneath her touch. She picked it up and brought it to her face inhaling William's unique scent…the used leather retaining the lingering aroma of whatever spicy aftershave he used combining with the faint smell of cigarettes.

Subconsciously, her fingers curled tightly around the soft fabric as if it would give her support. Memories so sharp, so clear, so intensely real that she could feel their echo in the immediate reaction of her body, assailed her.

Now that it was too late to do anything about it, she understood the impetuosity, the need, the intensity that had made her act so out of character and throw caution to the wind. It had nothing to do with Dawn's engagement, nor with the fact that she was twenty-four and had still been a virgin.

No…somehow, against everything she'd believed about herself, she'd looked at William and had subconsciously wanted him. Not just any man…but one particular man…

William.

Unsteadily, she sat down on the bed still clutching his coat to her chest. She'd never wanted a man…not like that. Not the kind of wanting that was stronger than any other feeling she'd ever experienced, even with Parker.

She drew in a deep, shaky breath and looked out of the window when one of the bare branches of the tree outside scraped against the pane as it swayed in the sudden breeze.

In a few months those branches would be covered with leaves. In a few months, the overgrown borders in the garden would be a riot of colourful blooms. In a few months, William would be gone and she would be able to return to her safe, protected little world. She'd be free from all these tormenting thoughts that had her investigating every tiny feeling she had and free from those mesmerising blue eyes of his that seemed to be able to see right through her.

She got up and began pacing up and down the room still keeping a tight grip on the leather duster. So what if she had felt desire for William? She was only human, wasn't she? Surely she was allowed to have normal human feelings and failings?

As she'd told Willow, many other women had done what she had without tearing themselves up about it like she was doing. God, she could barely look at herself in the mirror without cringing. It'd been bad enough when she only had her own knowledge of her actions to contend with…but now there was William too. A man who had seen her at her most defenceless and unprotected.

She paused. Was that why she felt like she did? Lied like she had? Because she felt in some way that by giving herself to William that night, she'd exposed herself to him in a way that would always make her vulnerable?

She started pacing again. If only he wasn't here, she would've been able to cope then. Now it was beginning to haunt her…just as William had haunted her dreams every single night since then.

Coming to a stop in front of the window she stared out of it without seeing any of the view. Mentally, she was back inside the car with William, wrapped in his arms, loving the sensation of his bare flesh against her own, aching for the soft trail of his hands down her body…

With a soft tormented cry, she dropped his coat and closed her eyes as she leant her hot face against the cool glass. Why was she doing this to herself? She should be remembering that night with disgust, not this aching yearning that evoked both a physical and emotional loneliness that swelled inside her and made her eyes and throat sting with stupid, useless tears.

Crying over William? Why? He'd seen an opportunity and took it…just like any man would. And the only reason she was tormenting herself now was because she couldn't bear to accept the notion that she had desired a man without any further emotion being involved. But she'd be a greater fool if she had, she realised grimly…for it was far more dangerous to want William emotionally than to simply want him physically.

Opening her eyes, she looked through the window to the garden below and stared at the untidy borders full of weeds and tangled climbers. If her mind were a physical thing, she had no doubt that right now that would be exactly what it looked like.

Wiping her eyes, she stepped back and looked down at the coat lying on the floor. She picked it up and gently laid it over the chair letting her hand trail over it one more time before leaving.

After straightening her own bedroom, she grabbed the proof read notes for her uncle's book from her small desk by the window then headed downstairs. Next to Giles' study was a small room that they used as a library cum office. Full to the brim bookshelves lined each wall and in the middle sat a mahogany desk with a computer on top. She switched it on and waited for it to boot up then opened up the appropriate files and began transcribing.

Three hours and several tea's and coffee's later, she switched everything off. Angel was due in an hour and she wanted to shower and change before the publisher arrived. Leaving the notes on a stack of books on her desk, she jogged up the stairs and grabbed her toiletries and robe from her bedroom. She showered quickly then went back into her bedroom and dried her hair.

After donning fresh underwear, she chose to put on a knee length dark green straight skirt and coupled it with a deceptively form fitting pale green blouse that showed off her curves and brought out the colour of her eyes without her realising it.

She then applied a little make-up and told herself that the reason she was taking extra care wasn't because of William. Certainly not! It was just that it wouldn't hurt to make a good impression on Angel as it was down to him whether her uncle's book was published or not.

She went back downstairs and prepared some sandwiches and tea for her uncle and Angel then took them into the study. Just as she put the tray down, she heard the front door open. Her stomach muscles tightened as she heard Giles and William enter and head for the study. Unconsciously, her body took on a defensive stance going ramrod straight and her chin lifted defiantly as she realised her hope of William maybe going upstairs first wasn't to be.

"Ah, good, you've made some tea," Rupert declared as he walked in taking off his coat. "That wind was damned cold today, I could do with a nice hot cup." He looked around then back at his niece. "I take it our guest hasn't arrived as yet?"

"He should be here anytime now," Elizabeth replied automatically. For some reason she was finding it extremely difficult to remove her gaze from William. He was standing framed in the doorway, just watching her in a sober, unfathomable way that made her heart skip and pulse race.

Giles was still talking, but Elizabeth had lost all ability to concentrate on anything other than William. Her mouth went dry and she could feel herself begin to tremble inwardly. "I'd better get back to the kitchen and put the breakfast things away," she heard herself mutter mundanely. What the heck was the matter with her? Why did William have this power to provoke this intense awareness within her?

"Could you bring another cup back in with you, dear?" Giles said in response to Elizabeth’s comment. "I'd like William to join us, he has experience with this sort of thing."

"Not much," the younger man denied self-effacingly. "A couple of small articles and a poetry book. Nothing on this scale."

Although he was speaking to Giles, William still kept his eyes firmly on Elizabeth and the older man paused for a moment as he realised that his niece was staring avidly back. A small smile graced his lips and he cleared his throat slightly then turned away and walked over to his desk. How had he not noticed such an obvious spark? Really, he was getting quite slow in his old age.

Elizabeth also noticed that William had yet to look away and wondered why he was deliberately trying to make her feel uncomfortable. Unless…

Her eyes widened. Unless, like her, he was physically incapable do so? Her heart gave a sudden leap and she felt sick and excited all at the same time. Stop it, she told herself firmly. Stop imagining things that simply don't exist. You know what he's really like and what he wants from you.

That thought was enough to bring her back to earth with such a hard thump that she actually felt the urge to retch. Managing to finally drag her gaze away from his, she put her head down and began to walk towards the door. When he didn't move away until she was almost abreast of him, her stomach lurched unpleasantly and she automatically looked up at him.

"Do you need me to help you with anything?" he offered politely.

Unable to force any words past her lips, she merely shook her head then brushed past him and hurried into the kitchen. Once there, she shut the door and leaned back against it for a few seconds until she felt able to move again.

The doorbell sounded and she turned to go and answer it but stopped when she heard the measured steps of William walking through the hall to open the door and let the publisher in. Deciding to let the men have a few minutes to introduce themselves and get settled, she moved to refill the kettle and make more tea now that she knew William was going to be present.

William looked at the man standing on the doorstep assessingly. He was a good few inches taller than himself, broad in build and what most women would consider handsome he supposed. Personally, he thought the man had a large forehead and used too much hair gel but that was probably because he now realised why Elizabeth had changed into that amazingly sexy outfit while he and Giles had been gone.

"Connell?" he queried curtly.

"Yeah, I'm here to see Rupert Giles," the dark haired man replied.

William nodded then stepped back to allow the other man entrance. Even though he'd taken an instant dislike to the man, he forced himself to be polite and showed him to the study. He then excused himself saying he'd let Elizabeth know that the publisher had arrived.

Seconds later he entered the kitchen. "He's here," he told Elizabeth quietly, coming to a stop a couple of feet away.

"I know," she replied, turning to give him a strained smile. "I'll bring the extra cup in in a minute," she added dismissively.

But William refused to be dismissed, staying where he was, watching her closely. "What a woman of disguises you are," he eventually commented softly. "The night we met, you were the epitome of the modern woman who makes up her own rules for the way she lives her life. Then yesterday…so demure, all neutral colours, casual dress and now…today…yet another Elizabeth."

He gaze raked over her insolently. "No need to ask whose benefit this one is for," he added acidly as he took a step towards her. "I'm sure he'll be most impressed by you." Another step. "He looks the type who likes his women ladylike but not too reserved." Another step and then he was right in front of her.

"The way you've got your hair down soft and free like that…makes a man wonder what it'd be like to slide his fingers through it and use its soft delicacy to hold you captive under his mouth." As he spoke, he raised his hand and ghosted it over her head as if he were going to touch but didn't.

She drew in a laboured breath as her eyes slid shut only to open them abruptly again at his next low husky words.

"The way your blouse clings in all the right places…makes a man want to undo each button nice and slow so that he can reveal the soft, sensitive flesh that lies beneath inch by delectable inch."

She held her breath fighting everything in her not to lean forward into his beckoning touch as his hand, still ghosting, drifted down following the outward curve of her breast.

"Of course, you don't need me to tell you that, do you?" he then whispered harshly. "Your fiancé has probably already told you the same thing…and much, much more."

He was angry, she suddenly realised as her stunned brain tried to make sense of the ridiculous accusations he was throwing at her. She was just wearing a blouse her sister had bought her and an old skirt. Nothing special. So why was he acting like this?

"What is it exactly that you want from my sex, Elizabeth?" he suddenly ground out, as he forced his hand to drop to his side in order to stop himself from grabbing her. "You're engaged and yet you gave yourself to me when…" he broke off abruptly, breathing deeply as he struggled to control the emotions surging inside him.

What on earth had gotten into him? Just because he was a woman's first lover, there was no reason for him to develop this crazy, possessive attitude towards her. She was engaged to someone else for Christ's sake!

But it was to him that she turned for physical intimacy…for passion, a little voice reminded him firmly. Him dammit!

His silence enabled Elizabeth to break out of the trance he seemed to have put her in and she turned away blindly opening the cupboard behind her and grabbing a cup. Inwardly, she was shaking with tension and reaction but she was determined that she wouldn't let him see how much his anger had affected her.

Head held high, she walked past him ignoring his muttered plea of, "Elizabeth, wait…"

Outside in the hallway she couldn't resist the urge to glance at herself in the large mirror hanging on the wall by her uncle's study. Unsurprisingly, she noted that her face was flushed then, as her eyes drifted lower to her blouse, she shockingly realised that everything William had said was true. How had she never noticed the way the material clung to her body lending subtle emphasis to the gentle swell of her breasts in a way that might well be described as provocative.

Provocative. Not a word she would ever have associated with herself before now. She'd never worn anything that would deliberately draw attention to her body…truth was, she didn't really think it was worth drawing attention to.

And yet, William had noticed it. Had noticed and wrongly accused her of trying to gain the attention of a man she'd never even met. A man who probably wouldn't even look at her twice. It was all so ridiculous.

She was roused from her internal musings when William suddenly appeared and opened the door to Giles' study ahead of her. She walked forward then, either by design or accident, he held it open in such a way that she had to squeeze passed him through the gap. Goosebumps immediately rose all over her skin sending a frission of sensation through her that made her visibly shiver drawing the gazes of both William and the dark haired man talking to her uncle.

The quick, assessing male interest that flared momentarily in the publisher's eyes before he gave her a slow grin startled her so much that she simply stared back at him in amazement. What had happened to her that she'd gone from being a woman that she was certain no man bothered to look at to someone who merited these discreet, but definitely male, appraisals that she was receiving from both William and Angel?

She wondered briefly if it was because she was no longer a virgin but quickly dismissed the idea as ludicrous…that wasn't something that was discernible by the human eye. No, the difference must be her. She must be giving off some kind of 'come get me' signal unknowingly.

God, if only she knew how to switch it off!

Beside her, William glanced over at Connell then back at Elizabeth and his jaw clenched painfully. Closing the door with a barely restrained slam, he saw Elizabeth jump slightly then turn her head towards him. He raised a brow and was rewarded with a faint blush that told him his words from earlier weren't lost on her.

Elizabeth looked away from William's grim expression and over to Angel's obviously interested one and mentally sighed. Somehow she didn't think this meeting was going to go as smoothly as she'd anticipated.

TBC IN CHAPTER 11