CHAPTER 7 - A Tangled Web

Elizabeth's head whirled as she fought back a wave of nausea at the fact that William was just about to walk through her uncle's front door. Willing her limbs to move, she backed up a couple of paces until her back hit the wall. Taking a deep calming breath, she watched Giles hold the door open allowing William to enter and felt her heart kick up into high gear.

Seconds later, there he was…her scruffy angel. Except, he wasn't scruffy anymore. Not at all. In fact, the only reminder of their night together was the leather duster he wore. Everything else had changed.

As he put his cases down, Elizabeth ran her eyes over his form and swallowed hard. Gone was the beard to reveal a strong jaw line, the full bottom lip and the highest, most defined, pair of cheekbones she'd ever seen in her entire life. The overlong, curly hair had been cut and slicked tidily back with no evidence of the bleach she knew he once had in sight. The jeans and sweater were replaced by black trousers and a button down shirt in a shade of blue that, she was certain, would perfectly match the colour of his eyes if she could bring herself to actually meet his gaze. Completing his new smart look was a pair of black leather slip-on's that now adorned his feet instead of the scuffed boots she remembered.

"You must come and meet my niece," Giles said, bringing Elizabeth snapping to attention.

Belatedly, she realised she should have made a dash for the relative safety of the kitchen before both men realised she was there…but now it was too late.

As her uncle turned towards the kitchen, his face lit up into a smile upon spying her and she forced herself to move forward, silently sending up a prayer that William wouldn't remember her. Unfortunately, God wasn't listening as she saw the way his eyes…and yes, they really did perfectly match his shirt as she'd thought…widened slightly in recognition and then narrowed as he focussed on her more intensely.

"Elizabeth, this is William Saunders. He's my colleague who shall be staying with us for a while," Giles introduced before looking at William. "William, this is my niece, Elizabeth Summers."

William was faster to recover than she'd been and extended his hand courteously. He could hardly believe his eyes. After weeks of dreaming and thinking of Buffy constantly, here she was standing right slap bang in front of him. In the flesh. But apparently, not in name…

Hesitantly, Elizabeth took his proffered grasp and immediately became conscious of the slightly rough texture of his hand. A hand that had touched her skin and brought it to dizzying heights of highly sensitised desire.

"Elizabeth…"

The hard, deliberate way he said her name destroyed her efforts at self-control and she couldn't help the hot, guilty rush of colour that stained her skin. Unable to speak, she tried to smile instead, but her weak effort fell far short of the ease of his nonchalant demeanour. 'Probably because he's had more practice at this,' Elizabeth thought to herself bitterly.

"Elizabeth, would you mind showing William to his room for me please?" her uncle requested, apparently unaware of the underlying tension between the two. "I have a rather urgent telephone call to make."

Realising there was no way to escape, Elizabeth nodded mutely, her gaze darting to William who was still staring back at her intently. Feeling the warmth rush to her cheeks once more, she looked away and headed towards the staircase.

Inwardly, Elizabeth struggled to stay calm. This confrontation with William was so unexpected, so unwanted that it was only bringing home to her, if it needed reinforcing, the whole sordidness of their encounter. Mentally rearing it's ugly head, self-disgust forced her to forget that in his arms she'd felt neither guilt nor any loss of self-respect - instead it had been the reverse. She'd felt cherished, loved, desired, wanted…

Climbing the stairs, her fingers tightened around the banister rail as she felt the heat of William's body close behind. Too close. Everything in her screamed at her to take to her heels and run, but William proved too fast. As soon as the sound of Giles' study door closing reached her ears, she felt William's fingers closing around her wrist, forcing her to stand still.

Determined not to be intimidated, she slowly turned then pointedly looked down at her hand and up to his face. "Is something wrong?" she asked, trying to inject as much coolness into her tone as she muster.

Taken aback at the iciness of her tone, William felt the first stirrings of irritation. "Is something wrong?" he repeated in disbelief. "Do you even need to ask? My colleague introduces me to his niece, Elizabeth Summers and, bugger me, if I don't already happen to know her by a completely different name! Care to enlighten me a little here, luv?"

"Buffy is a pet name my family use," Elizabeth told him stiffly, the casual endearment he'd uttered simultaneously annoying and thrilling her.

"And very convenient in case I tried to follow up on our…" he paused to let his gaze wander slowly down to her chest and up again, "…acquaintance."

Elizabeth's lips compressed into a hard line, his insolent gaze and insinuating words affecting her far more than she would have liked. She knew damn well that there was scant chance he would've bothered to look for her, but she wasn't about to tell him why she lied. Why, just for once, she'd wanted to be someone other than herself.

"You can think what you like," she told him brusquely. "I don't have to explain myself to you."

"No, you don't," he agreed, watching her now with an intensity that suffused her body in scorching heat. "Although it would be nice to know, except…you didn't want me to find you, did you?" William realised suddenly, the fact that she'd not given him her proper name, even on the morning after, not lost on him.

Feeling like he'd punched in the gut, he thought back over the useless hunt he'd embarked on during the past few weeks and felt the first glimmerings of uncertainty begin to unfurl. Up until that moment, he'd been certain that what had happened between them was very special. Not only that she'd given him her virginity, but also that they'd shared a connection few couples of long standing ever manage to attain. He'd felt it, so she must have too…right?

Elizabeth's next words provided his answer.

"I can't think of any reason why either of us would want to see each other again," she remarked stiffly, baffled as to why he kept pursuing that train of thought. Surely he wanted to forget the whole night as much as she did?

William felt his stomach drop and was about to release her wrist when a sudden wave of defiant anger rolled over him. "Can't you?" he retorted curtly, his raised eyebrow adding emphasis as he leaned in to her slightly. Mentally she may be refusing to acknowledge how amazing that night was, but physically she wouldn't be able to hide it and he was determined to prove it.

The unexpected move, coupled with the sudden leap of flame that ignited in his eyes made her stomach twist sharply. Heat suddenly flooded through her…a heat that had nothing to do with guilt or the burning self-revulsion she'd felt earlier. No…this heat had its roots in the delicious ache that was rapidly and treacherously infiltrating her system.

It took every piece of her willpower not to lean into him and taste those wonderful lips just one more time. Feel what it'd be like to kiss him without the coarseness of his beard rasping over her skin. Instead, she forced herself to concentrate on replying to his question. "If you're talking about the possibility of a baby…" she managed to get out in a shaky voice.

"I wasn't," William denied then tilted his head to the side and looked down her body appraisingly. "But I take it you're not pregnant?"

"No," she hastily confirmed, not registering the faint look of disappointment that William sported at her answer as her mind worked overtime at trying to figure out what else he could have meant. "Oh!" she exclaimed as the reason why he might have wanted to see her again suddenly became crystal clear and she stared back at him defiantly.

Sex.

He wanted to start up an affair where they both indulged their sexual needs with no emotional attachment or commitment of any kind on either side. Especially his.

God, just what kind of a woman did he think she was? Her righteous indignation disintegrated at that moment and she looked down, suddenly ashamed, as it hit her exactly what type of woman he thought she was…and with good reason.

Wondering what she'd thought of, William watched the play of emotions cross Elizabeth's face with interest and felt his heart squeeze at the pain he glimpsed in her eyes before she looked away. He knew he wasn't handling the situation very well as he was still reeling from the shock of seeing her again, but the last thing he wanted to do was hurt her.

He was just trying to understand what the hell was going on, but she was being as distant now as she had been then. Was there something he was missing? Had he been so certain that her actions were because she was an innocent that he failed to acknowledge any other reason for her behaviour? Obviously so if her desire to remain anonymous was anything to go by.

His thoughts were broken off when the ring of the phone was heard followed a few seconds later by Giles opening his door. "Elizabeth, it's Connor for you, long distance," he called out before going back in.

Elizabeth's eyes widened in surprise. What on earth was her sister's fiancé ringing her for? Had there been an accident? Had something happened to Dawn? As she started to go down the stairs, William's grip on her wrist tightened and she looked up into his cold features.

"Who the bloody hell is Connor?" he ground out, unsuccessfully trying to keep his sudden flare of jealousy at bay.

Elizabeth blinked at his harsh tone and it hit her then that all her problems could be solved with just one more lie. One teeny, tiny falsehood that would ensure that William didn't attempt to try and pick up were they left off.

"Connor's my fiancé," she told him, unaware of the desperation colouring her tone. "He's my fiancé and I have to go and talk to him right now."

William's mouth dropped open in shock and this time when she started down the stairs, he let her go. Numbly, he watched her stumble on the last step and then almost run into her uncle's study.

She was engaged? The woman he'd spent almost all of his waking moments thinking about was going to marry another man? This couldn't be happening. Surely providence couldn't be so cruel as to let him find her only to laugh in his face and snatch her away from his grasp once again…could it?

Apparently, it could. And had. And it hurt like hell.
xxxxxxxxxx
Giles sat down at his desk while Elizabeth picked up phone to speak to her future brother-in-law. "Hi Connor it's Elizabeth, is anything wrong?"

"Hey Buffy, no, nothing's wrong. I've just spoken with your uncle and he's agreeable but thought that I should ask you too," the young man said.

Grimacing at the use of her childhood name, Elizabeth prompted, "Ask me what?"

"Well, my folks are coming over for a visit in a couple of months and they want to spend time in and around London. I've asked Mr. Giles if they could possibly stay with you for a few days and he said yes as long as you're okay with it because it would mean extra work for you." He gave her a nervous chuckle. "I mean, feel free to say no if it's going to be too much trouble."

Trouble? Elizabeth almost laughed out loud herself. No, it was no trouble. Trouble was the man she'd left standing on the stairs. Trouble was blue eyes staring at you in a mixture of shock and anger as they tried to assimilate the most awful lie you'd ever told in your entire life.

"No," she heard herself say. "It won't be any trouble. Just let me have the dates and I'll get everything ready."

They spent another couple of minutes exchanging information and pleasantries; Dawn was apparently out shopping with her future mother-in-law and then, conscious of the cost of the international call and that William was still waiting she said her goodbyes.

She told Giles the dates, knowing full well the man would forget and he, in turn, asked that Elizabeth tell William that once he'd settled in he was welcome to join him in the lounge so they could have a small drink before dinner.

Elizabeth nodded then left the study and paused as she pulled the door shut behind her. Taking a deep steadying breath, she noticed that William still stood in the exact same spot where she'd left him and walked slowly over. "Sorry about that," manners compelled her to mumble as she climbed the stairs to where he was waiting.

"Sod that," he growled tersely. "Why the hell didn't you tell me you were engaged?"

"You never asked," she retorted, walking past him and continuing up. An unexpectedly grim silence followed her statement and Elizabeth knew he was trying to contain his anger.

"I see," he finally said as he began trailing after her. "So…where is he?"

"He had to go back to America," she replied, glad that he couldn't see her face as she made up the blatant untruths. "We're childhood sweethearts and he visits as often as he can." She stopped talking and grimaced, wondering if it sounded as pathetic to him as it did to her own ears.

"And I suppose it's because he wasn't available that you made love with me instead, is that it?" William asked in a deceptively mild tone.

They were outside his room now and Elizabeth stopped, wishing she could find a way to end this awful ordeal. Keeping her face averted, she tried to give a nonchalant shrug but it ended up looking nothing more than awkward. "I…I suppose I was just missing him so much that…well…you were there…you know…convenient…"

"Convenient?!" William hissed furiously, the fragile control he'd attained snapping in two. "That's all I was? Convenient? "

"I…I…" Elizabeth stuttered, taking an involuntary step back in the face of his wrath.

"No, just let me get this straight," William said, raising his hand in a gesture to stop her talking. "You had an itch you needed attending to and because your honey was across the pond, you decided to use me as the scratching post instead…that about it?"

When he put it like that, she could see how insulting her thoughtless words must have appeared to him but there was no going back now. "Yes…that's right," she agreed, forcing out a strained laugh.

William's eyes narrowed at her answer and he felt his anger drain away to be replaced by the sound of alarm bells going off in his brain. Something wasn't right here. Whatever that night was, it wasn't purely about sexual gratification…he was certain of that, if nothing else in this confusing mess. So why would she agree that it was?

Deciding to try a different tact, William produced a semblance of a smile and took a step towards her, ignoring the dart of hurt that shot through him when she instinctively stepped back a pace as well. "Well, I'm glad I was there to help you out, luv," he said, deliberately lowering his voice to a seductive drawl. "Tell me, was I a good substitute for your one true love? I'd hate to have not come up to…scratch."

Elizabeth was caught off balance by his sudden turnaround of moods and blinked at him in confusion. Did he really want an answer to that question? By the expectant look on his face…yes, he did!

"Uh…yeah…you were…it was…great," she spluttered out, looking away as she felt the colour rise betrayingly in her cheeks again. There was an odd quality to his silence that unnerved her but she refused to look up to find out why. Deciding that now was the best time to escape, she went to move past him but found herself brought to a halt as William reached out and grabbed her arm. Automatically, she looked up and found herself mere inches from his face.

"Tell me something," he enquired softly. "Is there any chance that you'll be missing your fiancé while I'm staying here? Because if there is…" He broke off and gave her a smirk, rolling his tongue up behind his teeth and leaving her in doubt of what he was proposing.

This is what she'd been dreading. What she'd desperately tried to protect herself against ever since the moment he'd entered her uncle's house. And it was far worse than anything she'd ever envisioned. The humiliation and hurt poured through her like burning acid. Going white with shock and pain, Elizabeth wrenched her arm from his grasp and glared at him in anger.

"No!" she gasped wretchedly. "What took place that night, took place…but I want you to know that I won't let it happen again, William. You might make a habit of indulging in one night stand's, but I don't!"

"Because you're in love with your fiancé," he commented impassively, seemingly not all fazed by her outburst.

The mention of her bogus fiancé threw her for a moment, but then, as she remembered, she quickly said, "Yes…No…I mean, I wouldn't have casual sex even if I weren't engaged…" She stopped and bit her bottom worriedly before closing her eyes and letting out a deep sigh. Suddenly, she felt completely drained. Opening her eyes, she resolutely met his gaze. "Look, I can't explain why that night happened. I…" she paused then shook her head and gave him a helpless shrug of her shoulders silently pleading with him to help her out.

"You were missing your fiancé, you were lonely…confused…" William offered in a soft, almost reassuring tone. He drew in a breath and gave her a small smile. "So, tell me about him. What does he look like?"

Elizabeth frowned slightly. What did Connor look like? "Um…well…he's really tall…dark brown hair…" she began to stammer awkwardly.

William heaved an internal sigh of relief as she spoke. At least it didn't sound as if he looked anything like the absent twit. "You'll have to show me a photograph," he interrupted, not wanting to hear anymore about the other man.

"A photograph?" Elizabeth repeated weakly.

William shrugged, feeling a sudden urge for a smoke. Pity he was trying to give up. "So I can recognise him if I happen to meet him."

"No…no, you won't," Elizabeth hastily assured him only to tense when he suddenly released her arm to take hold of her left hand.

Raising it up between them, he stared at her fingers then lifted his curious gaze to hers. "You don't wear his ring," he observed quietly.

Tugging her hand from his grasp, Elizabeth's face began to redden as her eyes darted away from his. Oh God! A ring! This was a nightmare! Think, think, think!

"Well, there hasn't been time," she heard herself say. "We only told my parents a little while ago then Connor had to go home and tell his parents. No one else knows…not even Uncle Rupert," she quickly added as an afterthought, not wanting to consider the mess she'd be in if the older man got involved.

"So, he's gone home to tell his parents…without you?" William clarified dubiously. The more she was saying about her fiancé, the more he didn't like the man one bit.

Elizabeth fought the urge to groan aloud as she felt the mother of all headaches begin to pound. Why did he keep asking all these questions, pushing her, forcing her to tell more and more lies?

"I have to be here for Uncle Rupert's book, so I really couldn't go," she excused feebly. Taking another step back, she gestured towards the stairs. "I really have to go and make a start on dinner. Uncle Rupert said you can join him in the lounge for a drink when you're ready."

William tutted and shook his head making her falter and look back over her shoulder at him. "Such reluctance to talk about the man you love," he goaded softly. "Newly engaged too. Most women wouldn't be able to contain themselves."

Elizabeth drew herself up and graced him with a cold look, the distance between them making her feel suddenly bold. "I'm not most women," she retorted curtly then hurried away down the stairs before he could say anything more.

"No," William agreed under his breath as he watched her walk away. "You definitely aren't."

Once Elizabeth was out of sight, he entered his room, took off his duster and flopped down backwards onto the bed. Rubbing his hands over his face, he then let his arms splay out to the sides and stared up at the cream coloured ceiling.
What the hell was he going to do?

Sighing, he shook his head, trying to sort out the jumbled complexity of his thoughts and feelings. He knew he was in serious danger of falling completely in love with a woman he'd only met once. A woman who was in love with and engaged to another man. A woman who had given herself to him so sweetly and eagerly that the memory of how she felt in his arms still had the power to stir both his senses and his body.

In hindsight, it was easy to see why she'd been so remote back then and even more so today. She was scared that this fiancé of hers would discover what she'd done…assuming he knew she was a virgin of course. He frowned. She had agreed to his suggestion that he was as good a lover as her boyfriend, but that was obviously a lie.

And as for that fiancé of hers…was the bloke such a complete git that he couldn't tell how much she needed him? Didn't he realise how easily he could lose her? Didn't the prat care?

Obviously not.

God, the burke was an idiot. If it were him…he stopped that thought and grimaced slightly; it wasn't him though, was it? Although…

Fate had thrown them together once and now it had decided to do so again. That had to mean something, right? Was it really a deliberate self-deception on his part to let himself think that two such accidental meetings must be more than coincidence, that maybe…maybe what?

That Buffy would break off her engagement and turn to him?

It surprised him just how much that thought pleased him. How much he wanted to hold her again, to love her. It wouldn't be too hard. He knew she wasn't as immune to him as she tried to pretend. A brief touch here, an inadvertent bumping into her there…

Abruptly, William sat up wondering what on earth was happening to him. He knew first hand what it felt like to be cheated on by the woman you loved and here he was admitting that he wanted a woman who'd knowingly slept with him while engaged to someone else. He ought to despise her, not want her.

Perhaps if she wasn't engaged. But she was and now he knew, he just had to put her out of his mind as best he could. And yet…even though she was committed to her fiancé emotionally, she certainly wasn't committed sexually.

No, sexually, she'd turned to him as a substitute for her fiancé. The fiancé she claimed was already her lover…but he knew different. If she lied about that, didn't it follow that she may have lied about the reasons for making love to him?

Realising the ridiculousness of his last thought, William let out a derisive chuckle and shook his head at what a ponce he was. He was clutching at straws, looking for something that didn't exist…not on her part, at least.

And yet…she'd seemed to be so different. In her arms, she'd made him feel…feel what? That their coming together, unconventional and reckless though it might have been, had been brought about by a force too strong for either of them to resist?

William let out a sigh and stood up. Walking over to window, he came to a halt and looked out of the wild tangle of the garden below. All this time he'd been kidding himself. Daydreams…fantasies…all made up by the burgeoning re-emergence of the young romantic poet he'd once been and had buried deep inside after Dru's betrayal. Well, he'd not listen to him anymore.

If he'd thought there was something special, something rare, something to be treasured about what they'd shared, then she'd not felt the same way. For her, he'd been convenient…a substitute.

Funny how that knowledge seemed to hurt a damn sight more than when he'd found out about Drusilla. And funny how after everything he'd discovered since seeing Buffy again, he still wanted her. More than anything. Fiancé and principles be damned.

TBC IN CHAPTER 8