A Brand New Day

Author: Magan

Disclaimer: None are mine.

Updated June 21, 2004

****

All Spike could here was Buffy’s cries. He looked around, unsure of where he was. He called out to her.

”I’m here, baby. Where are ya?”

Her cries soon faded away and Spike realized where he was; back to where he was to begin with, when they made him human.

“Bloody hell, ya couldn’t have asked first!” Spike said, lividly, looking upwards then rolling his eyes.

The Power that Be, posing as Tara, had been walking down the long hallway, and as she came closer, he had a look of sadness on his face.

“It’s not bloody time.”

“It’s been long enough, William. Have you made your choice?”

Spike nodded, “Yes, Yes, I have.”

“What will it be human or vampire?”

“Human.”

“You will be reward for all the good that you’ve done.”

“Thank you.”

“No, thank you,” She said, turning to leave, and headed back down the long hallway, then finally disappearing.

“That’s bloody it?” Spike asked, baffled.

Shrugging his shoulders, Spike quickly felt his body materializing back to the cabin. When he fully materialized, Spike saw Buffy curled up on the, blankets pulled up to her neck. He hadn’t realized how long he’d been gone.

“Oh baby! I am sorry! You musta cried yourself to sleep,” said Spike, crawling into bed, wrapping his arms around her. “Buffy.”

Opening her eyes slowly, Buffy thought she was dreaming.

“Spike? Is it really you?”

“Yes.”

He kissed her on top of her head. “I’m here.”

“I was worried sick, you were gone for a long time. I thought something happened to you, and I just couldn’t bear the thought I lost someone else that I loved.”

“I can see that!” He smiled, half-heartedly, and she playfully smacked him. “The freakin powers summoned me again.”

“What happened?” demanded Buffy, sitting up.

“My time was up,” Spike said, simply.

Buffy’s mind was racing with terrible thoughts. The one that she tried desperately to forget was that he wouldn’t be able to return.

“Your time? But…” Buffy began to speak, but was cut off by Spike.

“I’ve made my decision, Buffy.”

Oh god! Buffy thought frantically.

“And?”

Buffy really wanted to know, but it didn’t make a bit of difference, she loved him either way. She just hoped that he was staying put!

“I’m human still.” He said, straight faced.

“Really?”

“Guess your dream may just come true after all!” His lips formed into a grin.

Excitedly, Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike’s neck, pulling him closer to her, and planting tender, loving kiss on his lips. After several moments, she pulled away.

“Baby, what is it?” He asked panting, needing more of her contact.
Buffy realized that she still had worked to do as slayer, but Spike couldn’t help her do that now that he was human. She wouldn’t be able to protect him if he decided to accompany her, looking for the new slayers.

Spike sensed her hesitation. “Is this what you really want? Me as…human?”

“I love you in any form.” She smiled, and then changed the subject, “Y’know, I’m starving, how about you?”

Buffy didn’t want Spike to know what she was thinking and decided to keep it to herself. If he knew, it would hurt him to much, but she did not realize he was reading her like a book, and knew exactly what was on her mind.

“Love, please, don’t change the subject on me like that. I can read your look a book.”

Pulling away from him, Buffy slowly rose out of the bed putting one of Spike’s tee shirts on, distancing herself from him. She began to pace back and forth, wondering how she was going to tell him.

“You can’t protect me now that I’m human,” He said, sitting at the edge of the bed, fidgeting with his hands. “I’m human, not stuck on stupid.” Spike muttered a few moments later. He was more upset getting upset by the minute and wished she’d just be honest with him.

“Spike, let’s not discuss this now.”

Buffy stopped long enough to look into his eyes and see the pain she’d just caused.

“No, Buffy, I want to discuss this. I want to know that I didn’t just make the wrong bleeding decision.”

“Spike, I love you. Let’s not discuss this now.”

“This isn’t about whether we love each other or not. I am not some git that can’t take care of myself. I have been around. I think I can bloody well take care of myself.”

He picked up a lamp off the nightstand, and he through it against the wall in aggravation. Buffy stared at the broken shards on the floor before speaking.

“Spike, I’m sorry,” She said, walking over to him. “I…I’m just scared is all. I’m sorry I upset you. You made the right decision. We’re gonna be happy.” Just not right now, Buffy added silently to herself.

Somehow, Spike wasn’t so sure if she was being honest with him and thought it was best to change the subject at that moment. He needed to calm down before he did something else to frighten her. Taking a deep breath, he ventured off, changing the subject.

“You said you were hungry, right?”

“I’m starving!”

“Sure, where would you like to go?” He asked voice gravely.

A knock came at the door with a “Hello, William?”

“Who’s that?” Buffy looked to the door.

Spike went to the door, and looked out the window.

“It’s the ole woman from earlier.”

Spike swiftly opened the door and there stood the old woman from earlier, carrying a tray full of food. “I thought you’d need a hearty meal before you go back to LA.”

“Oh, thank you ma’am,” Spike said, kindly.

“Please call me June and you’re welcome, William.” She said, walking into the cabin. She noticed that Buffy was just in a tee shirt, and she knew it wasn’t her place to say about it. June set the tray on the bed, looking up at Buffy. “Hello.”

“Hi. I’m Buffy,” She greeted June in meekly voice, and very much embarrassed.

“Thank you, ma’am, I mean June. Thank you for the meal.” Spike said, kindheartedly.

“No problem. It was the least I could do for you two.”

June smiled, and hurried towards the door, turning before she left. “Thank you and don’t worry about paying for the cabin.”

“Are you sure?” Spike asked. “Cause I can pay!”

June dismissed the thought. “William, dear, you saved my life, it’s the least that I could do for you, in return.” She smiled once again, and said, “Bye, Bye.”

When she was gone, Spike closed the door.

“Wow! She must have been reading my mind. This is exactly what I wanted, too.” Buffy said, eagerly, sitting on the bed next to the try. “Burgers, fries, shakes, pie, sandwiches, chips; everything is here...I haven’t eaten this good in a long time…I’m famished.”

Spike couldn’t agree more. She’d lost a lot weight over the years, and was glad to see you was actually going to eat for a change. He soon realized he was famished and eyed the food. He was used to just eating human food, but it didn’t really matter right now, cause he was hungry. He sat on the bed next to Buffy, picking up a burger.

“MMMM, this is good,” Buffy said, in between bites.

Spike took a big bite off his burger, savoring every bite. “MMMM, you’re right, this is good!”

The couple finished every bite of food on the plate a little while later. Spike couldn’t believe how a little thing like Buffy could eat all that food. He was amazed with himself as well, all that he eaten. They were stuffed. They leaned back on the bed, and giggled. Within minutes, they’d fallen asleep.

The next morning, Buffy and Spike had the kicked tray onto the floor, luckily, nothing was broken, and Buffy and Spike lay sleeping in each other arms. The sun shone into the little room from the window, and it woke up Buffy first.

When she sat up, and stretched, Spike just turned over on his other side. She looked at the clock sitting on the nightstand.

”Wow, it’s after 9.” Buffy whispered, hopping out of bed, and grabbed the keys out of Spike’s jacket pocket, heading out to the car.

Opening the truck, she grabbed the bags, hurrying back inside, and gently closed the door behind her. She set one of the bags down and placed the other one on the bed lightly, opening it. Fortunately, it was clothes for her and in her size too.

“Oooh, these are so nice. Who ever picked these out have good taste, and they’re my size too.”

Buffy pulled out a summer dress and said to herself, “I’ll wear this.”

Buffy hardly wore dresses anymore, what with all the slayage she’d done over the years. She grabbed her unmentionables, and as she was about to close the bag, she noticed something sticking out of the pocket, and pulled it out, realizing it was a hair clip.

“They thought of everything.” She smiled, closing the bag, and headed into the bathroom.

A little while later, Spike rolled over, realizing that Buffy wasn’t next to him. Sitting up to stretch, he said yawning, “Wow, I don’t think I’ve slept that good in all my years.”

Rising out of the bed, he went into the bathroom. Buffy had been brushing her hair and was about to put her hair up with the clip, when Spike opened the door, expecting her to be in the shower.

“I like that dress on you, love.”

He leaned against the doorframe watching her. The light from mirror illuminated her figure.

She smiled at him in the mirror. “I know me too...I think we should be heading back to LA soon. There’s something’s that I need to run by Angel before I have to leave.”

Spike’s smile suddenly disappeared. “What?! I thought we’d discuss this.”

“We did,” She turned around. “Spike we will.”

Buffy quickly kissed him on the nose.

“I just need to check on something with Angel,” Buffy lied.

“Call him.”

“No, this is something I need to do this in person.”

“If you say so.” Spike said, snidely, and retreated to the main room.

Buffy sighed. She knew it was going to be hard leaving him, but she had no other choice.

Spike hated Angel with a passion and would do anything not to go back, but he knew Buffy and knew what to expect from her. Frustrated Spike, grabbed the suitcase off the floor and it opened up, and the contents fell out.

”FUCK!”

Taking a calming breath, he put everything back and grabbed himself a pair of jeans and a white tee shirt, heading back into the bathroom to take a shower. He didn’t even bother to look Buffy in the eye.

“Spike, please, let’s not fight.”

Ignoring her, he turned on the shower, removed his clothing, and stepped in, closing the curtain.

“Fine,” Buffy said, exasperated, heading back to the main room.

She grabbed her other clothes, putting them into the suitcase, and zipped it up. She then sat on the sofa, waiting for Spike to finish. A half-hour later, he came out of the bathroom refreshed, and seemed in a better mood.

“Spike.” Buffy ventured, hoping that he wouldn’t get upset.

“Yeah, pet.” He said putting on his boots.

“Are you still mad?”

“Not happy, but I’ll get over it,” Spike finished with his boots, and rose to his feet. “You ready?” He asked, putting his clothes into the suitcase, closing it. He then grabbed his duster, and picked up the suitcase, hauling it along.

“Yes, I suppose I am.” She rose to her feet, and they headed to the car together. Spike put the suitcases in the backseat while Buffy got into the passengers side, and then Spike got into the drivers side.

Prior to leaving, Spike turned to face Buffy and said, “I know what you’re planning, so you might as well be honest with me.”

“Spike, I…” She turned, facing the window.

“S’that so,” Spike said, starting the car, driving away.

The couple drove back to LA in silence.

They pulled up in front of the Hyperion, six hours later. Neither one had spoken a word to each other the way through. Buffy went inside, and Spike decided to go for walk, leaving the keys in the ignition.

Walking into the old hotel, Buffy headed over to the office, but unfortunately, Angel wasn’t there. In a huff, she turned to walk out, and Wesley popped up from being the desk.

“Oh, Buffy, I thought you were on your way to pick up the other slayers.”

“Hey Wes, I didn’t think anyone was here,” she said, turning around.

“I’m just gathering things up, to take to the new offices. Why are you here?”

“I need to speak to Angel.”

“He’s at the new offices.”

“Shoot, I need to speak to him before I leave.”

“You could call him.”

“Nah, this is something I need to do in person.”

“Ok, I’ll call him and let him know you’re coming.”

“Sure thanks.” She was heading out as Wesley picked up the phone to call Angel. She stopped and came back into the office. “Where is this new office?”

Wesley gave her the directions, “You can’t miss it. There’s a big sign that says Wolfram and Hart law firm in the front.” He stated the obvious.

“Ok thanks, by the way, will you tell Spike where I am?”

“No problem, I’ll let him know.”

Wesley picked up the phone and called Angel, letting him know that he should expect Buffy soon.

Buffy went to the car, grabbed Spike’s suitcase, and brought it back into the hotel.

“Wesley?” She called.

Wesley stepped out from the office. “Yes?”

“Here are Spike’s clothes, be sure that he gets it.”

“Um…I thought he was going with you,” Wes said, uncertain.

“Change of plans. Be sure that he gets these,” She said, turning and leaving the hotel.

“Ok.”

Wes grabbed the bags, taking them back into the office.

Buffy opened the car door and slipped in, driving to the new AI headquarters. It wasn’t more than ten minutes away, and before she realized it, she was in front of the building, parking. She headed inside, having bad a feeling. Things weren’t quite right with this whole set up, but she shrugged it off, and went through the front doors. Angel knew what was best, she reasoned.

“Oh...My...God!”

She looked up at the lobby. It was bigger than anything she’d ever seen, and wasn’t sure she was in the right place, until she saw the receptionist, and on the desk it said Welcome to Wolfram and Hart. She slowly walked up the receptionist.

“Hello?” The receptionist greeted her.

“Hi, Buffy Summers, to see Angel.”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No, but he’s expecting me.”

“I’m sorry Miss, but you can’t see Mr. Angel without an appointment.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Just call Mr. Angel. He’s expecting me,” she placed an emphasis on the word Mister.

The receptionist picked up the receiver, dialing a number, and after a few moments of hushed talking, she hung up the phone. “Mr. Angel is in a meeting and will be available in a few minutes. If you’d have a seat over in the lobby area, he’ll be right with you.” She gestured over to the left.

Walking over to the lobby area, Buffy looked around and then sat down. She picked up the latest ‘People’ magazine and flipped through it. After awhile, Buffy looked up at the clock on the wall, waiting for Angel. It was fifteen minutes before she heard anything.

The receptionist comes over to Buffy, informed her that Angel was busy, but she could to go up to his office to wait. “Finally,” Buffy said, with a roll of her eyes.

“James, will show you up to Mr. Angel’s office.” She motioned for a tall dark haired man standing over by the desk. He rushed over to the women. “James, please show Ms. Summers to Mr. Angel’s office.”

“Ms. Summers, please follow me.” Buffy followed James to the elevator.

While in the elevator, Buffy began getting that feeling again. She looked at James and then around the elevator, evaluating the situation. She couldn’t place what it was, but before she could say anything, ‘Ding’ the elevator stopped at the 13th floor.

Hmmm, 13th floor, something about that doesn’t seem right, she thought. Seems evil to me, but Angel knows what he is doing and cannot question him on it.

James stepped out of the elevator, “This way, Ms. Summers.” He turned to the right, and headed down the hallway. Almost immediately, they were in front of Angel’s office. James knocked on it three times, letting Angel know they’ve arrived.

“Yes?”

James opened the door, stepped aside for Buffy to enter into the office and she noticed the large picture window opened.

“Angel, what’s wrong with this picture?” Buffy asked, pointing to the window. “Shouldn’t you be a pile of dust right about now?”


“Oh, that?” Angel turned towards the window. “It’s protected with special layers to block out the harmful rays.”

“Ah. I see.” Buffy sat down on a chair in front of Angel’s desk before he could say ‘make your self comfortable’.

“Make your self comfortable,” Angel said, sitting back down. “I thought you left with Spike.”

“We just drove a little outside of LA, and stayed at this motel over night…Spike had to be back to LA, but these powers people teleported him somewhere, and he’s still human, and will be for the rest of his life. Anymore questions?”

“Oh,” Angel was all could say.

He felt betrayed. That was his Shanshu, not Spike’s. Damn it, it’s not Spike’s. “Why are you here?”

“I can’t take Spike with me.”

“Why?”

“I can’t protect him now that he’s human.”

“So, what am I supposed to do about it?”

“Give him a job or something... I don’t know, just keep an eye on him while I’m gone. Give him a place to stay. I’ll call from time to time. Please just do this... for me.”

Angel rose out of his chair, and stood in front of his window, looking out at the city. “Why? He can take care of himself.”

“No questions. Just do this. I need to know he’ll be safe!” She went over to Angel. “If I ever meant anything to you, just please do this for me.”

He turned to face her. “He really means this much to you?” Buffy turned away and sighed. “All right! I’ll do it for you, BUT I’m not going to like.”

“I don’t care, just do it, or you’ll have me to answer to...If something happens to him, you’ll meet the pointy end of a stake! Got it?”

“All right Buffy. I’ll do it.”

“Thank you. He’s probably at the Hyperion right now.”

“It might come better from you. He’ll never believe me.”

“I can’t tell him face to face.” She felt the tears welt up in her eyes.

“Write it in a letter, then.” Angel suggested.

He went over to his desk, and opened a draw. Buffy followed him, wondering what he was up do. He handed her a pen and a pad of paper. She graciously accepted it. She sat down and began writing a “Dear Spike” letter.

Angel paced back and forth waiting. He was actually glad that Spike would be out of her life. Maybe then, she’d find someone who truly made her happy.

A little while later, she was done, handed the letter over to Angel, and he put the letter into an envelope. “I’ll be sure to give him, when I head back to the hotel.”

“Thank you Angel.” She kissed him on the cheek.

“What are you gonna do?” He asked putting the letting into his drawer.

“Round up the slayers and take them to England, I guess. Or go to Cleveland first and take care of that hellmouth.”

“That’s suicide Buffy. Not without Backup...Let me arrange for some back up for you.”

“It’s not like I won’t have backup, I’ll have the Slayers with me.”

“Those are young girls, Buffy. They don’t have adequate knowledge to fight.”

“I’ll teach them along the way. I’ve got to do this!”

“The hellmouth will be there... When you’ve rounded up the girls, take them to England, get the properly trained, and then take out the hellmouth.”

“I don’t know, maybe you’re right.

“I know I’m right. Besides, it’s not active anyway.”

“How do you know?”

He picked up a file from his desk and handed it over to Buffy. “I had someone do some research on it. No activity. If there is, I promise you’ll be the first one that I call.”

“How accurate is this?”

“Very,” he said in a hurt tone.
“The slightest thing and you’ll let me know?”

“Yes, Buffy, I’ll let you know.”

“All, right, I’ll round up the slayers, in the areas that Giles showed me, and I’ll go back to England. You make sure Spike is safe or else.”

“Yes, Buffy, you have my word.”

“Thanks.” She turned on her heels and walked out. He didn’t know if he’d ever see her again.

“See ya Buffy,” he said, after she left.

Buffy walked out of Wolfram and Hart and to her car. She wasn’t sure she was doing the right thing.

She got into the car and drove off, with tears in her eyes. She’d miss Spike more than anything, but she couldn’t protect him as a human. It was the worst time for her to leave, since they just got back together, and it would be a long time before they’d see each other again. She promised herself that she call every chance she got.

Soon she found herself driving by the Hyperion. She stopped for a few minutes.

“I’m so sorry to be doing this to you Spike. I hope you understand. I love you.”

Tears sprang from her eyes again and she quickly wiped them away, and drove off. Spike saw the car as he was rounded the corner.

“Buffy,” He called out to her, but she couldn’t hear him. She was gone. He thought that maybe she went to chat with Angel. He walked into the hotel lobby. Wesley was packing boxes still and was bringing one out just as Spike entered the lobby.

“Hey, where’d Buffy go?” Spike wondered, but knew the answer

“She went to speak with Angel. I’d imagine she’ll be back later.”

“Doubt she’ll be back!”

“Why do you say that?” Wesley set the box down by the steps before heading back into the office once again.

“She has this stupid notion I can’t protect myself,” Spike answered.

Wes didn’t know what Buffy was up to, but he figured Spike was right, Buffy wasn’t coming back.
“Spike, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe Angel knows. I’m sure he’ll be back here in a little while, ya know.”

“Bugger that; tell me where the offices are.”

Wesley proceeded to tell Spike where the offices were located and what floor Angel’s office was on. When was finished, Spike bolted out of there.

He soon found his way to Wolfram and Hart. Walked right in and passed the receptionist, even though she protested. He went right up to Angel’s office, and burst in. Angel had been going over a few files that were passed to him shortly after Buffy left.

“Where’s she at?”

“Spike.” Angel stood up.

Spike went right up to Angel, grabbed the lapels of his jacket and shook him. “Where! The! Bleedin’! Hell! Is! Buffy?!”

“Spike, if you’d just let go, I’ll tell you.”

Spike let go and pushed Angel back; he fell back into his chair.

“Right then!” Spike stepped back, waiting.

Angel opened up his desk drawer, pulled out an envelope, and handed it to Spike. Spike tore it away from Angel, and opened it up.

“Dear William,

The time that we spent together was wonderful and it’s something that I’ll never forget. I am sorry to leave you like this but I can’t protect you while rounding up the slayers.”

Spike stopped and looked up at Angel, “Bloody hell, this is god damn Dear John letter.”

Angel couldn’t help but have some kind of compassion for Spike. He remembered the pain that Buffy had suffered, after he had gone to LA. He couldn’t image what it would be like if he were Spike. It would be too hard for him to have someone he loved leave him like that. Spike looked back down at the letter and began reading it once again.

“This isn’t me letting you go. I’ll always love you, William. I just need to do this one last thing. I need to finish being a slayer. I need to train these girls and take care of the hellmouth. Please understand. I am coming back for you when I’m done. No mistake about it, I will return. I will call every chance I get. I promise.

I love you, Buffy”

Spike had to sit down. His legs were about to give away. “She left but... but she says she’ll be back.”

“She’s just gotta do her thing. It may take awhile, but I believe she will be back for you. Face it man, you won, she loves you, not me.” Angel felt a ping in his heart, but he knew she didn’t love him anymore. He had to move on, and this was the best time as any!

Spike stood up. “This was never about winning, Angel, it was about loving Buffy. And I do love Buffy, she’s it for me.”

“I know this doesn’t mean anything, but she asked me to make sure you have a place to work and a place to stay. You interested?” Angel quickly changed the subject. He didn’t want to get into it with Spike, yet again, especially about Buffy.

Spike was shocked. He couldn’t believe that Angel was offering something so nice. He decided, against his better judgment, he’d take the offer. “What kind of job will I have?”

“We’ll figure something out.”

“Do I get an office?” Spike smirked.

“You’re pushin’ it!”

“Just checking!” Spike was still smirking.

Spike loved every minute of pushing Angel’s buttons. He missed Buffy, but he knew Angel was right. Buffy had to do this one last thing so they could be together. It just hurt him to much and he was more upset that she just couldn’t tell him to his face.

“This is gonna be a long bumpy ride!”

“Damn right, Peaches!” Spike smiled.

Angel gave Spike a dirty look. “Oh great!”

“I think this is the beginnings of a beautiful friendship.” Spike snickered leaving Angel’s office.

“Buffy, hurry the hell up, I don’t know how much of Spike I can stand.” He rolled his eyes, and sat back at his desk, shaking his head. He couldn’t believe he made a pact with the devil. He grabbed the file he was looking at and began to work once again.

TBC