Chapter 4
In the days since Buffy left California, Angel had resurrected the old Hyperion Hotel and offered Spike a job to look after it, which also gave him a place to live.

The former vampire had it restored to its former glory, and had become very popular in the six months that it was opened to the public. Movie stars that were in town for premieres stayed in the hotel and Spike had even rented out
the penthouse suites, making the mucho dinero.

Making their home at the old hotel along with Spike was Fred
and Gunn. Which made Spike feel like he belonged.

As he sat in his office, looking over the monthly budget, he heard his computer tell him he had mail. Spike stopped what he was doing, and quickly checked it out.

Clicking it opened, the blonde waited for the emailed to open up and to his delight, it was from the little bit. It was while in between when he last heard from her. Spike was beginning to think she’d forgotten about him, but he quickly dismissed that thought.

Dawn told him that she was excited about school and working at the watchers council part time. Everything in her life seemed to be going good, which made him very happy for her. Until he reached the end of the email, his smiled quickly faded.

‘Buffy isn’t happy unless she’s with you, Spike. I just wish you were here…with us…with Buffy. She needs you Spike. I can’t tell you what it is. It’s not my secret to tell. She should have been honest with you right from the beginning. I don’t know why she hasn’t.’

Spike abruptly shut the computer off and sat back in his chair, folding his hands in his lap and wondered what the hell she was talking about. He sat there for the longest time before he picked up the phone, dialing her cell.

“Dawn Summers,” Dawn picked up her phone a few moments later.

“Bit, just got the email. Wanna tell me what the hell you were talking about?”

He heard her sigh, and said, “Oh Spike, you…ah…caught me at a bad time. I’m really sorry. Xander and I tracking a rogue slayer, so call me later. Bye!” She hung up.

“Bloody hell,” he slammed the phone down on the cradle and pushed his chair away from the desk, stalking out.

“Mr. Spike,” the girl behind the counter called.
“I’m going out,” He gritted his teeth as he grabbed his keys and his cell. “Take messages. Don’t know how long I’ll be.”

“Ok, sir,” she said, as she watched him leave.

Spike walked up to his shiny black Desoto that was parked in the front of the hotel and got into it, starting the engine. He so missed his old Desoto. It had been with him through hell and back.

He was lucky that he’d actually gotten one such in good condition, thanks to Wesley. Wesley had pulled a few strings to get the car for Spike and he was grateful for it and they’d become good friends after that.

He drove away like a bat out of hell, driving to his favorite bar.

*****

Harmony walked into Angel’s office with a large manila envelope and dropped it on his desk. He hadn’t even noticed she walked in, until she spoke.

“Boss, your package is here.”

Angel looked up and smiled. She of course smiled back, thinking he was appreciating her.

“You can go now!”

“Oh,” she said blushing, turning to leave as Wesley walked in.

“Hey Angel, you wanted to see me?”

“Yeah, sit down, please,” Angel had gestured with his hand as Wesley took a seat.

Wesley watched Angel open up the large envelope and pull out its contents. As the former watcher waited, he noticed that the contents were pictures. Wondering what they were, Wesley leaned forward, trying to get a peak.

“Angel what is it?” Wes finally asked.

Angel passed the picture along to Wesley and he took them from Angel. As he looked through the pictures, Wesley was shocked to say the least and looked up at Angel.
“Why the pictures?”

Leaning back in his chair, Angel began to explain, “I hadn’t heard from Buffy since she left and…and I was worried. I thought that something…Well, I hired someone from the London law office and I had hired someone to track her for a few months, just to she was ok.”

“Are you going to show these to Spike?”

“I wasn’t planning on it, but I suppose you’re going to,” said Angel, leaning forward. “I guess it would come better from you.”

“Yeah,” was all Wesley could say.

Wesley wasn’t happy with his friend for invading Buffy’s privacy, when he very well have could have gassed the jet up and fly over there to England. Ever since Angel had taken over Wolfram and Hart, he’d changed. He took more risks then before and sometimes the innocents didn’t see so important to him. It was all about the money and the high life.

Yeah, they averted the weekly apocalypses, but the mission was lost. Even Gunn, Fred, and Lorne were succumbing to the whiles of the law firm. As Wesley is feeling the pull, he fights it every day.

Rising from the chair, Wesley walked out of the office, disgusted with Angel, and over to Harmony’s desk.
“Hey Wes, what can I do?” Harmony asked, turning in her chair to face him.

“Find out where Spike is and let me know.”

“Sure thing.”

The bookish bookwork walked back to his office ignoring the people that said ‘hello’ to him, and when he walked into the office, he closed the door behind him.

Crossing the room to his desk, he sat down, sliding the chair up to the desk, and carefully looked through the pictures once again, shaking his head, unsure of how to tell his friend.

Guess the best way is to show him, Wesley thought to himself as he sat back in his chair, staring at the top of photo of Dawn and Buffy shopping at the local mall.

A few moments later, Harmony buzzed him.

“Wesley…”

Pushing the intercom, he said, “Yes.”

“Sarah at Hyperion said he left about twenty minutes ago. She thinks he may have headed for bar he usually goes to.”

“Ok thanks,” Wes said, cutting her off, knowing exactly the bar, and then grabbed an empty folder from his desk, placing the photos in it. He rose from the chair and headed out to find Spike.

*****
Spike walked in ignoring the surroundings and headed to the bar, taking a seat in a huff.

“Whatdaya have?” The bar tender asked, leaning against the bar.

“Whisky and leave the bottle,” Spike said, looking down.
The bar tender placed a glass in front of Spike and poured him a generous amount, then setting the bottle next to him. He picked up the bottle and downed it and poured himself another.

Spike used to be able to hold his liquor well, but since becoming human it affected him differently. After awhile, he became so drunk; the bar tender cut him off. Before Spike could take his last drink, Wes stopped him.

“Don’t!” Wes said, holding Spike’s arm back.

“What do you want, mate?” Spike said, slurring his words.
Taking a seat next to Spike, Wes ordered them both coffee, and then spoke. “Heard about Buffy, did ya?”

“Through the bit, no less.” Spike turned to look at Wes. “Why did she not call me or email me, mail me, in these last 6 months?” He paused for a few moments. “She told me she loved me. Why did she leave me?”

“I don’t have an answer for that, that won’t hurt you Spike,” Wesley said what was on his mind. He looked down at the file he held in his hand. “Spike, I…have something here for you that might help ebb the pain.”

“What is it?” Spike asked, taking a drink of black coffee.
Wesley set the file in front of Spike and watched a myriad of emotions flash a crossed his friends face. He knew Spike was thinking the worst and felt the need to dismiss that thought quickly.

“It’s…not what you think, Spike.”

Spike hadn’t even realized he’d held his breath until he let it go and sighed. He was thinking that Buffy was dead, and he couldn’t go through that again. He sighed once more and opened the folder. To his surprise there were pictures of her and Dawn. Something was different with these pictures that he couldn’t quite figure out. Then he spotted what was different a few moments later.

“Bloody hell,” he looked up surprised. “Why the hell didn’t she tell me?” He had quickly sobered up upon seeing the pictures.

“Don’t know. Just found out about them.”

“Why are there pictures to begin with?”

“Angel got antsy and hired someone to take them.”

Spike had a perfectly good jab all set for his grandsire, but decided against saying it. It wasn’t important and it was a shock to him. He inwardly chucked at that.

“The jet is all set to go,” Wes said, breaking through Spike’s train of thought. “If you want to go now.”

“I bloody well do want to go,” Spike jumped off the stool and headed towards the door.

“Spike, wait, I’ll drive you to the airport.” Wes said, rising to his feet and heading towards Spike.

“Thanks mate, but there’s a few things I’d like to do before I leave for England.”

TBC