Chapter 7-
Xander hadn’t said anything for the last few minutes and Spike began to get antsy.

“Would you just get on with it?” Spike yelled.

Buffy glared at him. “Go on Xander.”

In response, Xander stalled a few minutes as he rubbed his forehead, debating how he should just tell him.

Just get it over with it. The longer they wait, the more they
are gonna wanna kill me, Xander thought as he got a little more comfortable. He had a feeling he was going to be there for quite awhile.

“Ok,” Xander scratched his head. “Your baby is in danger.”

“What do you mean, the baby is in danger?” Spike stood up, not liking the way Xander said the bad news.

“Calm down Spike,” Buffy said, looking up at him. “Sit down!”

He complied and motioned for Xander to continue in an exasperated way.

“I’m sorry. I know this is a bit of a shock. It was a shock to Giles and to me as well.”

“How do we prevent anything from happening?” questioned Buffy.

“This is where you’ll have to come in. You’re the only that can do this,” replied Xander.

“What?! No! She’s in no condition to even do this. I forbid this!” He looked over at Buffy, who was none to happy. “I’m not letting you do this, Buffy.”

Trouble in paradise, Dawn thought wryly. “Ok, let’s just calm down and here Xander out.”

Glaring at Spike, Buffy rose to her feet a few moments later, and headed out of the kitchen and up to her room. Her emotions were all over the place and she just didn’t want to have a confrontation with him right there. Spike followed a few moments later. When he arrived into her room, she was sitting on the bed. The time alone gave Buffy a few moments to collect herself.

“I’m sorry!” He said, closing the door behind him. “I just don’t want anything to happen to this baby or you.”

“Spike, I’m the slayer. Just because I’m pregnant doesn’t mean that changes things. If Giles needs me then I’m gonna be there for him. ‘Specially if it means saving our child.”
He crossed the room and sat down next to her.
“I see I can’t talk you out of this.”

“No,” She said firmly. “I’m not changing my mind.”

“Stubborn chit!” He muttered as he fidgeted with his hands. A few moments later, he turned towards her. “If you must do this, we do it together. We’re a family!” He cupped her chin and titled her head up towards his face, to get better look into her eyes. “We’re a family! You, me, and this baby… I’m not prepared to lose her or you.”

She smiled at him, and gave him a quick peck on the lips. “Do you trust me?”

“You know I do, but…” Buffy cut him off with another kiss.

“Trust me then.”

********

Buffy and Spike had come back down stairs, and headed right into the kitchen. Xander and Dawn stopped talking when the couple entered into the room.

“Don’t stop on our account,” Spike said acerbically as he followed Buffy to the sofa.

“Enough,” Buffy chastised as she sat back down on the sofa. “Sorry about flaking out earlier. My emotions are all over.”

“Understandable Buff,” said a comforting Xander.
It was quiet amongst the foursome and Dawn soon broke the ice.

“Xander was just telling me a little about what Giles found,” Dawn explained a few moments later.

“Why don’t you tell her, Dawnie? It might be better coming from you,” replied Xander, hesitantly.

She sure didn’t want to tell her sister the bad news. Not this. There had to be another way to tell Buffy and Spike their baby may die. Dawn quickly rose to her feet, pacing around.

”This is hard…” Dawn said, tears threatening to spill over. She couldn’t bear looking at Buffy when she told her the bad news. “The baby may die.”

Blindly grabbing for Spike’s hand, Buffy turned to look at him, tears also welling up in her eyes.

No! It can’t be! I can’t lose someone else that I love!”
“Are you sure about this Xander,” asked Spike, keeping himself calm.

Xander’s cell rang before he had a chance to respond to Spike’s question. He pulled out from his back pocket and answered. Buffy, Dawn and Spike waited, but it wasn’t patiently. Dawn still paced and Spike had wrapped his protective arms around Buffy, soothing her, letting her know that things would be ok for their baby. Xander shut the phone a few moments later and announced that Giles needed him back at the Watchers headquarters.

“I am sorry about this ticking tomb bomb, I’m leaving,” apologized Xander. “Giles wants more research done on it. He’s gonna station a handful of slayers around and gonna call Willow so that she can put a protect spell around the house, but it might be a few days. She’s out of town.”

“Well,” Dawn sat back down fidgeting. “I…I could probably do it. She did teach me a few things. All I’d need is some herbs. Do you think you could get them to me?”

“I don’t see why not,” Xander smiled.

“The spell wouldn’t be too hard to write up,” she responded.

“You sure you can do it, Dawnie?” Buffy asked, unsure.

“Please Buffy. I know I can do this. Please let me do it,” pleaded Dawn.

The blonde slayer looked to Spike for guidance, and he smiled. He knew Dawn could do anything if she put her mind to it. Buffy turned back towards Dawn and smiled as well.

“Oh thank you! Thank you!” She hugged Buffy and then placed a hand on her sister’s stomach. “It’s ok, baby. We’ll protect you and then we can be a family.” She looked up at Spike. “A real family!”

*****

Later that evening, Spike and Buffy turned in early, while Dawn worked on the protection spell. The couple had been discussing names for their daughter, but each time Buffy came up with a name, Spike would playfully shoot it down.

“Oh you’re incurable,” She slapped him lightheartedly.

Sighing, Spike said, “Ok, how about… Annabella? It was my great-great-great-great grandmother’s name on my father’s side.”

She thought for a moment on this and smiled. It was the perfect name for their daughter.

“I like it,” she kissed him as he wrapped his arms around her, holding her close to himself. She snuggled closely to his body and fell fast asleep, but he hadn’t realized it yet.

“I shall call her Bella.”

Spike heard Buffy snoring lightly a few moments later, and he kissed the top of her head. He’d missed just holding her while she slept. He made the right decision coming to England. Otherwise, he wouldn’t ever get to see his daughter. Knowing this, he aloud himself to fall fast asleep.

****

TBC