Chapter 8-

Dawn was still in the kitchen. She’d been having a little trouble writing the spell, when the phone rang. She decided that she’d let the machine pick it up, but she heard Willow’s voice, Dawn hurried over the phone, and picked it up.
Willow! The young girl thought smiling, and momentarily forgets her troubles.

“Willow!” Dawn said a little too excitedly.

“Dawnie!” Willow replied, sullenly. “How are you? And Buffy?”

Willow had only heard about the news a few hours ago from Xander. He’d called and left a message on her voice mail. She would have called sooner, but she was in an area where cell phones signals were blocked.

Dawn wasn’t quite sure what to say and remained quiet for several long moments.

“Are you there, Dawn?” Willow asked nervously.

For the moment, Willow believed something happened to Dawn.

“Willow…I’m scared.” Dawn finally spoke up.

“I know.” the witch sighed. “I know. We’re gonna get through this like we always do. Don’t you worry about it, ok?” Willow said brightly.

Relaxing a bit, Dawn exhaled noisily. “You’re right. I can’t be worrying now.”

An idea popped into Dawn’s head, and she quickly wrote it down, but then scratched it out with a sigh.

“I can sense you’re having problems with that spell?”

“Yes, I am,” Dawn said and bit her lip.

“Stop working on that.”

What did she say? Stop working on the spell? But why??

“Huh?” Dawn sat upright. “I need to…”

Willow interrupted. “Go get that book I got you for your birthday,” instructed the witch.

“Oh!” Dawn said, realizing which book Willow meant.

Jumping off the stool she’d been sitting on, Dawn hurried up to her room, being as quiet as she could. Abruptly stopped, Dawn stepped back, and looked into to Buffy’s room. She needed to know if they were ok.

To her relief, they were fast asleep, and continued on her way to her room.

Boy her snoring has gotten worse now that she’s pregnant. How can Spike stand it?? Dawn giggled as she opened her door, and headed over to her book shelf. Scanning the books with her finger shelf by shelf until she finally found it on the bottom shelf.

“Got it.” Dawn pulled the book out and sat back on her bed.

The room was a little bit bigger in size than her old room on Revello Drive. On the wall by the door were dark oak built in book shelf and desk. The bed was at the far end of the bedroom and on either side were windows, draped with wine colored silk. The bedding had the wine color to match the bed. Pillows were strewn all over the bed. They were in prints and solid colors matching the walls, and the silk drapes.

For Dawn, it symbolized being an adult.

“Ok, now what?”

“Turn to page 58,” instructed Willow.

Quickly thumbing through the pages, Dawn came across the spell that Willow mentioned. The script was in big, bold letters that popped off the page. The parchment paper in pristine condition, considering it was found in the rumble at the Watcher’s Council library.

Unfamiliar with the language, Dawn said, “I don’t know language.”

“It’s a dead language, and it would take to much time to learn,” acknowledged Willow. “I have a spell that will change that into English for you.”

Willow recited the spell over the phone for Dawn, and continued to explain what to do next. When Dawn had the gist of it, they said their good byes. If Willow was needed, she’d materialize there to help out, but she was needed more where she was at.

Dawn lit the candles on her dresser, and chanted the spell in Latin. The breeze began to pick up all around her, but the window was not open, nor was the ceiling fan on.

The spell is working, she thought as she watched the spell change to English.

When it was finished, she started to chant the protection spell, but stopped when she heard a scream and then a loud thump, followed by a ‘bloody hell.’ She whirled around quickly, headed to the door, and opened it.

“Buffy?” She looked up and down the hallway and crept out into the hallway which was eerily quiet for Dawn’s taste.
Something told her she needed to go check on Buffy and headed in the direction. When she arrived at the door, Dawn turned on the light switch.

”Oh my god, Spike, are you ok?” She headed over towards him.

Spike was sitting on the bed, rubbing the back of his head. As Dawn sat next to Spike, she noticed blood seeping out of the back of his head and mixing in with his hair.

”You’re bleeding,” She stated the obviously as she looked at the missing spot where Buffy was supposed to be.
Where’s Buffy??

“Where’s my sister?” Dawn asked, softly.

Spike remained quiet, which made her a little more nervous. She grabbed his arm and asked where her sister was. She was now starting to panic.

Truthfully Spike hadn’t a clue where Buffy was at. He looked over at Dawn regretfully, knowing that Dawn was beginning to fear the worst. Rising to his feet, Spike began pacing back and forth, accessing the situation. He knew that Buffy had been beside him, but the next thing he remembers is being thrown up against the wall. Things after that had been a little fuzzy, although, Buffy calling out to him seem to stick with him.

Sitting there quietly, Dawn watched Spike pacing back and forth. It was driving her nuts and with the added tension, the tear began to trickle down her face. She laid her head in her hands muttering, “Oh god…Oh god…Oh god…I failed my sister. I failed her Spike.” She looked at Spike, who was now watching her. He could see the sadness in her eyes. He felt her pain because he was going through the exact same thing.

How did I manage to screw this up?? I was here to protect her and I couldn’t even do that. Bloody hell! He internally chastised himself.

“I couldn’t protect her or the baby. All I had to do was one lousy spell and I couldn’t even do that.” She said, repeatedly, looking in his eyes.

Kneeling down in front of Buffy’s sister, Spike cupped her face within his own hands, and said, “Calm down, Dawn. We didn’t fail her and this is no time to bloody fall apart. Do you here me?”

Dawn shook her head and sniffled in response. She just hoped her sister and the baby would be ok by the time they got to them.

“Good!” He smiled weakly and wrapped her in his protective embrace. “We’ll figure this out. We’ll call Rupert. We’ll call the whole bloody Calvary if we have to…We’re getting her back!”

TBC