"Did you get Merlot?" the girl asked as her sister closed the car door.

"It doesn't matter what I got, this is America, and you're not drinking." the blond said as she adjusted her seat belt.

"Please Buffy, I drink all the time in Italy. I'm only going to have one glass. I'll still be able to drive you home."

Buffy sighed, "All right, one glass of wine."

Dawn smiled triumphantly. Little by little she was getting her older sister to trust her and treat her like an adult.

The girls settled into silence as Dawn pulled the car onto the streets of L.A. The driving was a little crazy. There weren't that many cars out, but it was Christmas Eve, and everyone who was out driving was in a hurry. Even so, Dawn deftly wove in and out of traffic.

"You make it look so easy," Dawn glanced at her sister puzzled, "the driving."

Dawn laughed, "Hey, you're The Slayer, I'm The Driver," Dawn smiled. Driving was about the only thing that required coordination that she could do better than Buffy. Of course, she figured she'd had the advantage of a better teacher. Drivers ED teachers were notoriously twitchy. You'd think they would have been used to near death experiences from student drivers, but they were always so tense. It usually caused the students to tense up.

Dawn however, had secretly, and illegally, learned from Spike, long before she'd gone to Drivers ED, or even had a permit. Not that learning how to drive at night, in a car with blacked out windows was easy. But Spike had never been nervous, even if he had grimaced a time or two at her abuse of the DeSoto's clutch.

Dawn wasn't entirely sure why she'd never told Buffy how she learned to drive. Maybe it was because it had been during that awful summer when Buffy had been dead. Maybe it was because it had been such a private time between her and Spike.

Oddly it was then that her crush on Spike had worn off. Both her mom and Buffy had been gone, and teaching you to drive was such a parental thing to do that their relationship had shifted. They were no longer partners in crime (unless you counted underage driving). Spike had become almost a father to her, or at least an older brother.

She smiled remembering how the evil vampire had tried so hard to "do right" by her. All the slip ups he'd made when his view of the world conflicted with what he knew Buffy would want her to be told.

They drove on further in silence. "Maybe this isn't such a good idea," Buffy finally said. "It's Christmas Eve, maybe he isn't even home. We should have called first."

Dawn sighed. Here we go again, she thought.

"First of all, it's the middle of the day, not a big time for vampires to be up and active. Second of all, I somehow doubt that Spike is out with Angel decorating a tree, singing Jingle Bells, and drinking Egg Nog." she giggled at the image. "Thirdly, we don't even know if Spike has a phone."

"Exactly, daylight, he's probably asleep. It's really rude to just barge in and wake him up. Besides, what if he doesn't want to see us?"

"I'm sure he wants to see us. And if he doesn't, he's just dumb and deserves to be disturbed. That's the address, looks kind of normal doesn't it?" Dawn said as they pulled into the parking lot of a rather typical L.A. apartment building.

"It must be the wrong address. We're probably going to disturb some complete stranger on Christmas Eve, we should go back."

Dawn sighed. If she could just get Buffy to the door she was sure it would be alright.

They got out of the car, and Dawn stopped dead in her tracks.

"Dawn, what is it?" her sister asked.

"Oh. My. God. That's a Viper."

"What? Snakes? Where?" Buffy asked, falling into a ready to stop things, fighting stance.

"Not a snake silly. The car. There. Look," she said pointing.

Buffy looked at the red sports car, but was obviously not that impressed. "So?" she asked, "It's a car."

"It not just a car. It's a Viper. Oh, never mind, let's go." Dawn gave up. Her sister's car ignorance was just too embarrassing. How could she not even know what a Viper was?