14

Spike stood against the wall, watching his girl do her thing with her sister slayers. He couldn’t help the smile that curved his lips. He remembered the time when there was only one slayer and his dreams of hunting that chosen one down and sinking his fangs into her throat. Those were the bad old days. He’s turned a new leaf now. He’s in a roomful of chosen birds, and he wouldn’t dream of hurting a one of them.
“Stop dropping your shoulder, pet!” He yelled out to Buffy and laughed when she turned to give him the two finger salute. He was still full of guilt over his part in turning her, but he knew better then to lament on it for long. Obviously, Buffy had refused to blame him and seemed happy, just as long as he was nearby.
He continued watching Buffy go through out the moves that she had picked up from years of training and some he had taught her himself, and just thought of how she was poetry in motion. There would never be another slayer with her grace and beauty. She was the best of the best and everyone knew it.
“She’s something, isn’t she?” Angel stepped into the room to stand beside his childe, arms crossed and eyes intent on the training slayers. He wasn’t sure how Spike would react to his presence, but he couldn’t stay in hiding. He and Spike had too much to talk about. Too many arrangements to make…that is if Spike still wanted to do the sire/childe thing.
“Beautiful,” Spike agreed, forcing his muscles to remain lax. What had happened to Angel was another thing that was his fault. “She’s the best of them all.”
“And she loves you, I saw how she looked at you earlier. Like she wanted to drown in you.”
“Is there a reason you’re here, Angel? Don’t say you’re here to watch the little girls train. I bloody well know better,” Spike turned to his sire, wanting to get everything out in the open. They still hadn’t talked about what had happened the night they rescued Buffy…right before Willow had restored the wanker’s soul. Not that he wanted to talk about it. He was perfectly happy leaving it in the past where it belonged.
“I wanted to…well…we have to talk, Spike. I need you to know that I’m sorry for what I tried to do to you before Willow did the spell. I could have hurt you and I feel terrible about it. Is there anyway that you‘d…move past it?”
Spike looked at Angel as if he had never seen him before. Was he bloody serious? What if Spike did forgive him? Would he give him another happy? Was Spike even willing to take that chance? Looking over at Buffy and her gang of eager pupils…there was no way he could take a risk like that. Spike took a deep breath, not really knowing how he could reject Angel‘s apology. “Listen…I can‘t forgive you. If I do that, you may revert to form and I‘m not willing to chance that. Not with you in the same building as these girls. So sorry Peaches, but I can‘t give you what you‘re looking for. As for that sire offer…consider it retracted until we find a way to get that soul permanently attached.”
Angel sighed in dejection. He understood Spike‘s refusal of his apology and the taking back the sire offer, but understanding didn‘t make it hurt any less. Everything he had ever cared for or loved was slowly slipping away from him. The chance to patch things up with Spike was just the recent of many.
“But you know, one thing I don‘t understand is why that offer made you lose the sodding soul in the first place. Me and you, we never got along. Not really. So how come the big happy?”
That answer…it was so simple…the one truth in his mixed up existence. Out of all the vamps he sired, William was the only one he never regretted. “Because…you were the one I never regretted turning. You were my favorite Spike. I know it’s hard to believe…but it’s true. You’re dear to both Angelus and myself. The fact that you even wanted to acknowledge me as your rightful sire…it made me the happiest I had ever been in a long time…and even that was too much. I guess that’s it. I’m not meant to be with Buffy and obviously, I’m not meant to be with you either. “
Spike stared at Angel, totally speechless and utterly shocked by his confession. He had no idea that Angel had cared so much for him. Just the knowledge that he was Angel’s favored childe was something that made his heart want to beat again. Spike opened his mouth to tell Angel how touched he was by this confession, but he was interrupted. Buffy was soon upon the landing and pulling Angel down into the training arena, declaring that she needed his help in training the girls.
Jealousy was about to take Spike over. Never had the slayer requested his help before, but of course he wasn’t Angel, and Angel hadn’t turned her into a walking corpse like he had. It was always about Angel. But soon enough, all jealousy disappeared as Spike witnessed what was clearly an ambush. The girls were all over Angel with fists, kicks, and uppercuts. His sire was taking a beating and from the look on his girl’s face, that was exactly what she had planned. He was definitely going to have a talk with her tonight, explain to her why this ambush was so inappropriate on so many levels and if Angelus was out and about, this would have resulted in her immediate death…a fact that made him shudder with fear. He thanked the powers for Willow. Who knew where’d they would all be without the little witch and her powerful mojo.
After fifteen minutes of kick-the-Angel, the girls stopped and went their own way, talking and giggling, wondering if the real vampires would be so easy to beat. He shook his head. The chits had no idea that if it hadn’t been for the soul…a great many of them would be dead now. Angelus was no vampire to laugh at. Just ask the slayer. Or better yet, the watcher’s dead bird, Jenny Calendar. Concerned, Spike hoped down and into the arena just in time to hear Buffy’s dire warning.
“If you even think about touching him again, you’ll have me to deal with and the next time you lose that soul of yours…it’ll be aim to kill. I’m sick and tired of this lose the soul shit. Do you understand me?” Buffy’s voice shook with her outrage and hurt. She had trusted Angel above all others, but this latest betrayal, to both her and the one she loved…it broke the camel’s back. No more passing go. No more get out of jail free cards. This was it. No more chances.
“I understand,” Angel bowed his head, wincing as he sank down onto the step, his brown eyes full of torment. Spike wanted to go to him. Comfort him some how. After all, it wasn’t easy losing the trust of the one woman you had always loved. But he wouldn’t. He couldn’t. To big of a risk. Plus…Buffy wouldn’t like it.
“Come kitten. The watcher wants to see both of us in his apartment. He wants to research The Master chap some more. We don’t want to be late,” He pulled her away from his beaten sire, who looked as if the whole world had been swept out from under him. It was best to leave him alone and let him heal. That was all Spike was willing to do for his sire at the moment.
“Ok,” Buffy nodded, leaning back into Spike’s arms, taking one last glare at the beaten vampire that had once been the love of her life, all beaten and bloody and sobbing into his hands. She turned away, trying to push down the spark of regret. She had to do what she did. For herself and for Spike. Angel needed to know that for now on, both herself and Spike were off limits.
~*~
Night had fallen over Cleveland. The girls were in their own apartment, and so were the scoobies. Spike and Buffy were shut away in her room, resting comfortably in each other’s arms. Spike sighed. Everything was so peaceful right now. The complex was mostly asleep, leaving Spike and Buffy to their own devices. He hated to break the peaceful quiet of the room, but he had no choice. Today, she had crossed a line with Angel. A line that Angel wasn’t going to scold her for, but something, as her sire, that he simply couldn’t overlook.
“What you did to Angel today, luv…you shouldn‘t have done it,” Spike held her close, kissing the top of her head so she would know that he still loved her, no matter what. His heart filled with warmth as she looked up and into his eyes, innocently. If he didn’t know any better, he would deny the fact that she was capable of doing what she did to the Poofter, but he did know better, unfortunately. He just hated reprimanding her.
“Why? After what he did to you, he deserved it. It’s not like he could be killed, anyway,” Buffy snuggled closer to her sire, not really wanting to go over this. She couldn’t understand why Spike was bringing this up. After what Angel had done to them both, she thought Spike would be the last person defending him.
Spike pulled away from her, staring into her eyes , trying to give her the look he had witnessed Giles use so many times. The look of sternness that a teacher would give his student. “Because, pet, he’s your elder. If his soul hadn’t been in place, you’d be dead and there would have been no way I could have stopped him. He would have been in his rights.”
Buffy blinked back tears. She couldn’t believe this. She had done what she did for Spike. She had wanted to protect him. Everything inside her told her that Angel deserved to be punished for what he had almost done to her lover. But instead of praise, she was getting a lecture. She just didn’t understand. “I just wanted to protect you, Spike. He had hurt you and I wanted to make sure that he got the message that he was not to touch you ever again.”
Spike’s heart melted at this explanation. Of course, she had wanted to protect him. This wasn’t news to him. Smiling, he pulled Buffy close to his body, and kissed the top of her head once again. “Pet, it’s my job to protect you. Both you and the lil bit. It’s a job I take very seriously. I’ll protect you both until the end of the world. Even after that, if at all possible.”
Buffy covered his mouth with hers, her tongue prodded his lips to admit her entrance as she rolled over and straddled his waist, where she felt his erection pressing against her thigh. Spike moaned as he felt her settle atop him. His jeans were getting more and more uncomfortable with every movement she made.
“Buffy,” he broke the kiss, running his hands up her stomach and cradled her breasts. “You have no idea what you do to me, pet.”
“I think I do,” She leaned down and continued nibbling at his lips. She gasped as his back arched, pressing his erection to her desire. She slowly moved from his lips and away from his body, until she was situated in the space between his knees.
Curious, Spike watched as she unzipped his jeans and gasped as she took hold of his growing erection. Spike groaned at the contact. “Buffy…pet...what are you…oh god…bloody hell…” He gasped as Buffy’s tongue swept up his shaft and his hips jerked upwards. He gripped the covers on the bed and hissed through his teeth as his pleasure intensified. He had no idea that Buffy was even interested in this type of lovemaking. It pleased him that she was willing to try new techniques, but he didn’t want her to feel like giving him a blow or hand job was something she had to do.
“Come here, kitten,” Spike held his hand out and brought her up to straddle his waist once again and moaned as he felt his manhood press against the barrier of her underwear. Damn, this woman was going to kill him yet.
Buffy frowned, wondering if she was hurting him. He felt so much harder then he felt when she first straddled him. She was about to move when Spike grabbed her waist and pressed her closer to his body, moving his hips so the head of his penis was continuously rubbing against her clitoris through the silky fabric of her undergarment.
“God, Buffy…feels so good.”
Buffy’s head fell back and she moaned as waves of pleasure ran through her body. Never had making love been like this before. With Angel…it all had been in a haze of euphoria and the after math, she didn’t even want to think about. Parker had been too fast and fleeting. Riley…even though he had the body of Adonis, he hadn’t put it to good use. There were times when she had to fake an orgasm. But making love to Spike…it was a work of art. They gave each other pleasure in so many ways and unlike the others, Spike was determined to give her as much pleasure as she gave him.
“Eek!” Buffy squealed as Spike soon flipped her on her back and hovered above her, his eyes full of mischief. “Spike…”
“Baby’s been a very good girl,” Spike leaned down to nuzzle her neck before sinking his fangs into her soft cool flesh.
Waves upon waves of euphoric pleasure filled the slayer as Spike drew her blood out of her body. Not even thinking of what she was doing, she wrapped her legs around his waist and pulled him closer to her throbbing body.
“Bloody hell, slayer,” Spike withdrew his fangs and torn the silk underwear from Buffy and pressed his aching member close to her womanhood, hissing in need. He was going to have to enter her soon, or there would be a mess to clean up in the morning.
Buffy couldn’t stand it any longer. She needed him inside her now. Swiftly, she yanked his jeans further down his body and slammed up to where his member entered her. Buffy didn’t have to wait as he began thrusting inside of her, faster and faster, His body caressing hers in all the right places.
“Spike…god…Spike…I love you so much….” Buffy needlessly panted for air she no longer needed. The act was more habit then anything else. She gripped Spike’s shoulder and buried her head into the crook of his neck as he rocked within her and didn’t even think when she vamped and sank her fangs into his neck,
With a roar, both Buffy and Spike climaxed, clinging onto each other as if the other would disappear if they let go. As they came down from their state of euphoria, Buffy tenderly licked her bite marks, closing the wounds. In her short time as a vampire, his blood was still the best she’s ever tasted.
“Are you ok?” Spike asked, tightening his embrace as they both settled into the mattress, both their bodies well spent with exhaustion.
“Never been better,” Buffy smiled, kissing his shoulder. He was definitely the best lover she ever had, hands down. “Are you ok?”
“Of course, pet. I always am. Just wasn’t really expecting it. We were supposed to be going over the rules of being a vampire. Instead, we ended up shagging the hell out of each other.”
Buffy giggled, and stared down at their linked hands. She couldn’t help but to feel that she no longer knew where he ended and she began. “I understand them now, Spike. I won’t go after Angel again. I’ll leave all the protecting up to my sire…unless he turns into Angelus again.”
“Buffy…”
“No Spike. Angel…he’s great when he has his soul, but without it…until he finds a way to get his soul anchored…there’s no way I can trust him. I know that you still care about him…so do I, but we need to be realists about this.”
Spike nodded, understanding where she was coming from. He just wanted to make sure that he went over why doing what she did wasn’t normally a good idea. “I just want you to be aware, pet. That’s all.”
“I am. I’m aware and I’m happy. Nothing and no one can take that away from me. Now…what do you say about another go around? I mean Riley…talk about stamina…”
Buffy giggled at the jealous growl as Spike flipped her on her back. “Captain Cardboard has nothing on me,” Spike devoured her lips in a searing kiss that made all thoughts of Riley and the Angel situation leave her mind all together. It was the second of many love making sessions they would have that night.
~*~
Angel sat in the darkness of what used to be Spike’s room. It was quiet there and was full of his child’s wild scent, giving a sense of peace and solitude. Today had been an eye opener for him. For the first time, he saw hatred burning in Buffy’s eyes when she looked at him. That fact alone broke his heart. There had been a time when he was her whole world…all she had ever wanted. Now he had destroyed any chances of at least having her friendship. Angelus’s attack on Spike was unforgivable to her. Spike may forgive him someday, but he knew for a fact that Buffy never would.
“Good to see some things never change. You still wear black and you still brood. Gee, Angel. I thought we got you out of that annoying habit,” Cordelia was suddenly in front of him, dressed in a white gown, her cinnamon eyes full of teasing warmth. “Come on lover boy. Tell Cordy all about it. What’s got your boxers in a twist this time?” She sat next to him, a smile playing across her lips.
“Buffy. She hates me.”
Cordy sighed as she rolled her eyes. Of course. Buffy. When had it never been about her. Buffy always had the ability to bring out the brood in Angel. “Are you telling me that you’re depressed over that little gang bang she did at the training thing? Oh my God…I can’t believe you’re brooding over that!”
“You didn’t see the look in her eyes. You didn’t hear what she said….”
“Come near Spike again and she’d stake you. Right? Are you deficient or something? I mean…sure…she doesn’t trust you right now. Can you blame her? You got her turned into a vampire, plus you had tried to rape her honey. Of course she’s going to be mad and maybe a bit vengeful…but she doesn’t hate you. She just finally realized just how close to the surface Angelus really was, and it scared her. Brought out the slayer in her. She’ll get over it.”
Angel looked at Cordelia skeptically. Cordy had no idea what it felt like. To have the eyes that were once full of love and trust towards him hold only contempt and vengefulness. No was no way she could possibly know. “This isn’t going to work now. Not with Buffy not trusting me.”
“Of course it’ll work. It always does,” Cordy took his hand in hers, wanting to convey her feelings for him. She still loved him, very much so. Becoming a higher being didn’t change that. She hated seeing him so sad. If only there was something she could do…
“Cordy…I need something…something that will guarantee that I won’t lose my soul again. Do you think…do you think you could talk to the powers? Ask them about anchoring this soul so Angelus will never see the real world ever again?”
Cordelia looked away from Angel, not sure how to answer this. She had already pulled a thousand and one strings just to be Angel and Spike’s spirit guide. She didn’t know if she had anymore strings to pull. But the look on Angel’s face, so sad and hopeful at the same time…it just broke her heart. There was no way she could say no. She had to at least try. “Ok. I’ll see what I can do. I do know that the anchoring of your soul will be a plus. One less thing to worry about.” She leaned over and kissed his cheek, lingering close to him for a second longer then what was required. She just wanted to breath in the scent of him, make sure that he was really there and not a pile of dust or on another plain of existence that was far far away from her. She fought back a tear as she realized that Angel would never know just how much she loved him.
“Thank you,” Angel stammered, feeling a bit nervous with her right there, so close to him that he could smell her perfume. “This is why I love you so much. You always know how to make me feel better about the situations I find myself in”
Cordy just smiled sadly and kissed his cheek, again thinking of how close they had come to actually being together. Damn the powers. Why did they have to go and mess everything up for them. Their champion and seer. They sure did know how to cheat their employees. They owed Angel the anchoring of his soul if nothing else. They owed them both that much.. “I’ll see what I can do Angel. I promise. I won’t leave them until they give me a positive answer.”
His smile was so sad and so beautiful. His name suited him well. He definitely looked like an Angel. “Thank you, Cordy. I wouldn’t be able to get through this whole ordeal without you.”
Cordy smiled as she got up and stood in front of him, her eyes full of fondness. “You bet your bottom dollar you wouldn’t. Now, just get some sleep. I’m off to see the powers.”
Angel opened his mouth to say something else, but it was too late. She was gone, and he was alone again. Left to brood and to hope that somehow the problem of his soul would be solved.