I'd like to say thank you
for the wonderful reviews and let you know that updates will be slowing down
again because school is back in session.  I'm hoping to get a chapter per
week done.  I hope that all of you keep reading and keep the great reviews
coming.

15
A few days had passed since the impromptu attack on Angel. For Buffy and Spike, does days had been spent in pure bliss. The couple had been inseparable. During the day, Buffy took Spike out to the park and watched as he soaked up the sunshine, his blue eyes bright and sparkling in the natural light of the sun. He was beautiful. They would picnic, make love, and all the other things lovers did when they’re happy together. It was day 3 when trouble appeared in paradise.
The night before Spike had stayed up and thought about his options, now that Buffy was a permanent fixture in his life. He wanted her to be happy, free of disapproving glares that he felt thrown their way by a few of her friends…Giles and Xander really. The two hadn’t really came out and said anything, but the anger and disapproval were there. They hated him for taking away their slayer, even though none of it was his fault…so said Buffy…but they didn’t care. They needed someone to blame, so why not the man that would be their girl’s companion for eternity? He could tell that Buffy felt it too, and it had put a damper on her happiness. He saw the flash of hurt in her eyes every time they turned away or ignored her, rather it was purposeful or not. It had only made Spike angry and determined to take his lady away from the lot of them.
That morning, after breakfast and watching how Xander and Giles were again shooting angry glares at him and sad glances at his slayer, Spike made up his mind. After they took care of The Master, he and Buffy were going back to LA with Angel. She’d be accepted for who she was, there. No one would make her feel guilty for being happy with him. LA was a good place to settle down. Plenty of sun and plenty of nasties to fight. What more could she ask for?
The problem was, bringing the idea up to her. Buffy was so settled right now. It wasn’t going to be easy to convince her that the little slayers would be fine without her, but he had to at least try. Buffy deserved to be happy without being made to feel like she was wrong for not feeling devastated over being a vampire. She had worked hard for those blokes, thought of no one but them. It’s about time she thought of herself.
“What do you think I should wear for training today, baby? Jeans and a t-shirt or sweats?” Buffy asked, turning to her lover. She smiled, as she thought of the past few days she had taken a break from training. They had been wonderful and incredibly romantic, but now it was time to return to her duty of training the other slayers.
“Sweats. Luv, you should really look into contacting Faith or talking to that watcher of yours. You’re going to need a replacement after we get The Master all sorted.”
Buffy frowned. What was he talking about? Why in the world would she need a replacement? She wasn’t going anywhere and as far as she knew, neither was he. “What are you talking about? Why would I need a replacement?”
Spike sighed. This wasn’t going to be an easy conversation. “I’ve been thinking, Pet. We’re needed in LA. Lot of nasties trying to take the place over. With you on our side…we’d take care of them in no time.”
“Spike, we’re needed here too. Cleveland is on the hell mouth. Plus, the girls need me, and my friends are here.”
“Well, my friends will be in LA and I think that’s where we’re needed most. Faith can take over with the lil ’ slayers.”
“Well, my friends are here and as for the lil’ slayers and Faith…they’re not used to her. They need me here. Besides, Angel will be in LA…”
“It’s a big city, pet. Plus, the poof is always in that damn office. We’d probably never see him,” Spike got up off the bed and went to rub her shoulders. “Come on, kitten. Say you’ll come back to LA with me. We can start an agency of our own. Spike’s Kitten. She helps the helpless.”
Buffy rolled her eyes at the corny name and pulled out of his grasp. She turned her back to him as she rummaged in her closet for a pair of sweats. “Spike, I can’t. I’m needed here. Plus there’s Dawn, I’ve already uprooted her once. She’s in middle of her senior year here. It’d totally screw her up to make her change schools again. “
“I’m sure Red won’t mind Dawn staying here to finish her schooling. As for your friends, you’ll probably be visiting each other so much that you won’t have a chance to miss them.”
“Spike…what is this really all about? I thought you liked it here in Cleveland. Why are you suddenly jonsing to return to LA?”
“I just like it better there then here. Besides, pet. I have a life there now. I feel like I’m actually doing good.”
“You can do good here, too.”
Spike sighed. He didn’t want to come out and say that he was too uncomfortable among the scoobies, that he rather go back to LA where people didn’t look down on him just because he lacked a pulse. Here, people could forgive Angel, but refused to let up an inch where he was concerned. He couldn’t live through that again, not after knowing the acceptance of LA. “You wouldn’t understand. I just…why not LA? Is it too close to Sunnydale?”
“My friends are here. I can’t just up and leave them.”
Spike sighed. That was the problem. Her friends. When it came down to it, she would always choose her friends over him. That’s the way it always was and probably how it’ll always be.
“Spike…I don’t want to fight about this.”
“Well then don’t. Just say you’ll come to LA with me. Easy as that, love.”
Buffy bowed her head. Spike just didn’t get it. She didn’t want to leave…or rather, she wasn’t ready. Leaving this place…it meant that she was leaving her old life behind. Everything that had made her Buffy Anne Summers was here. To go to LA…she’d be leaving herself. “Spike…I…can’t. Not right now. I just need more time to adjust. This has been my home for a little close to a year now. My friends are here…”
“Of course. Your friends,” Spike stepped away, looking away from her, so she wouldn’t see the hurt in his eyes. He had known it’d be like this. He had held no illusions that it would be any different. Once again, the bloody scoobies won. “It’s always about them isn’t it, pet?”
“Spike, come on. Don’t be like this. We can always visit LA, whenever you want, I just need to be near…”
“Hey, I get it. Ok. I do. You need them more then you’ll ever need me. It’s ok, Slayer. I understand. Been through this before, remember? Listen, don’t worry about it.”
This was all wrong. Buffy hadn’t meant for Spike to get the impression that she was choosing anyone over him, but obviously that was the impression he had gotten and she had no idea how to fix it. All she had was words. “Spike, don’t be stupid, that’s not the reason…”
“Of course it’s not. I’m not stupid, pet. I know what they think of me. When they look at me, they see the man that killed you, and I can’t say that I blame them. But I can’t live like that Buffy. Not again…not after I’ve found life and friends that accept me for what I bloody well am. I may have a soul, but in Giles and Xander’s eyes, I’ll always be a killer and treated as such. I can’t go back to living like that. I won’t. So as much as I love you, once The Master has been destroyed, I’m leaving Cleveland. With or without you.”
“What? Spike, you’re being silly. Xander and Giles had never even indicated…”
“They didn’t have to. Bloody hell, Buffy. I’ve lived for sodding forever. I can tell when someone wishes me harm without them doing a thing. As much as I love you…I can’t stay here.”
“God! Are you that insecure? Spike, I love you and I’m not choosing Giles and Xander over you! How could you think that after how I broke things off with Giles after he helped Woods try to kill you? You’re my Sire! How could you even think I’d choose anyone over you?”
“Because I have never used my control over you and I never will. I love you too much for that, baby. So yes, you would choose them over me, because you have the free will to do so. But don’t expect me to stay here and watch them take you away from me. Not after all we’ve shared. We have time. So think about it. Either we’re together…or we’re not.” Spike pushed past Buffy and disappeared down the stairs, leaving a tearful Buffy staring at the place he once stood, wondering if she had lost him once again…maybe this time for good.
~*~
The night was quiet and all seemed to be well…well all except for Spike, who paced back and forth in front of a park bench , obsessing over the argument he just had with Buffy. He couldn’t believe her at times. He had given her everything, would it really hurt for her to give back to him, just a little? He was thinking about her as well as himself. In LA there would be no more friend’s dirty looks. No more guilt trips. Only happiness and bloody togetherness. Was that so bloody awful? Damn it all to hell!
“My Spike,” the voice came from behind and sent shivers of familiarity down his spine, as his pacing slowed to a stop. He hadn’t heard that voice in years and it only caused him to fill with dread. Whatever Drusilla wanted, it couldn’t be good.
“Dru. What in the bloody hell are you doing here?” Spike turned to face the woman that he had spent a over a century with, the woman he had once thought would be his forever. It was funny how that worked out. Dru had known his feelings for the slayer before he even knew himself. Maybe if she hadn’t slept with Angelus while he was stuck in that damned wheelchair…maybe things would have been different…not that he wanted them to be. He loved Buffy, with his all his heart and soul. He wouldn’t trade his time with her for 100 years of mayhem with Dru.
“Ms. Edith said that my William was on the hellmouth and he’s been a very naughty boy. Turning the slayer, my dear…you should known better,” Dru circled him, seductively running her hand over his shoulder as she stepped up behind him. “But mommy isn’t angry. She’s willing to take back her naughty William. Now that the sparklies are gone, we can paint the town red.”
Spike stepped away from her, keeping the thought of Buffy foremost in his mind. He had to admit that he was tempted. Life with his dark princess had been so much simpler. The only thing he had to do to keep her happy was bring her back fresh kills and stolen trinkets. Life with Buffy, it took a lot more to please her, but pleasing her made him happier then he ever had been with Drusilla. He had never known what Dru had felt for him. In fact, he always knew that it when it came to choices, Dru would always choose Angelus over him. That wasn’t so with Buffy. She had made it known that he was her choice. Angel was her past, but Spike himself, was her future and that’s what he needed. “Sorry, pet. Not interested. Got me a new mission now and you’re not a part of it. Got a soul and a girl that loves me over that Poofter you’re so found of.”
“It’s that nasty slayer. You reek of her Spike. You shall not have any cakes today.”
Spike rolled his eyes, having had enough of her rambling. Looking back at it now, he had to have been insane to put up with her mad ramblings for as long as he had. “You don’t eat cake, love. We both know it. As for the slayer, she’s better for me then you ever were. She’s waiting for me, by the way. Take care of yourself Dru,” Spike was about to turn and walk away when a hard heavy fist slammed into the back of his head, knocking him unconscious.
“Ready, my dear?” The Master glared down at Spike’s unconscious form. “The boy is awfully ungrateful, don’t you think? Wasn’t for you, he would have died the sad simpleton he had been.”
“Shame on you William. You should have behaved and you would have had cakes and honey. Now you shall be punished for such wicked behavior,” Drusilla scolded, her unconscious ex.
“Come my dear. Let’s get our charge back to the caverns. We shall make your William see the error of his ways,” The Master grinned, hefting Spike over his shoulder and disappearing into the darkness.
~*~
Two hours had passed since Spike had went storming out of the complex, hurt that Buffy was reluctant to follow him to LA. Since that time, Buffy had been through the gambit of emotions. First, she was confused. She had no idea what had happened. One minute, her and Spike were content with where they were and the next minute, Spike is walking out on her, mad because she wouldn’t just give into his insane demands. Then there was anger.
The nerve of him! Where did he get off making stupid assumptions and ultimatums! Then walking out on her, adding insult to injury! Well, Buffy was sorry, but she couldn’t let him get away with that. She was going to go out and find Spike, and then she was going to beat the sense back into that hard, yet gorgeous head of his. No one was going to walk out on Buffy Anne Summers again and get away with it. Taking a deep breath, Buffy turned around to head outside only to come face to face with a flustered Giles.
“Giles?” Buffy frowned. Having the watcher around was something she was going to have to get used to again. It wasn’t that she didn’t want Giles around. She loved having him there. His presence brought a sense of peace to her. He kept her grounded.
“Are you going somewhere?” The watcher asked, looking around for any sign of Spike. He had wanted to question the vampire about his return and how it had a come about.
“Out to find Spike. He kind of went out of here in a huff earlier,” Buffy sighed. The last person she wanted to talk about her argument with was Giles, but he was there and she did need someone to talk to. Maybe he could make things clearer for her somehow…just like he used to in those early years of Sunnydale.
“Oh…I’m sorry to hear that,” Giles eyes widened in surprise as he realized that he meant what he said. He had never been Spike’s biggest fan, but in the past couple of days…he had never seen his slayer so happy. Not even with Angel. With Buffy so happy, there was no way he could object.
Buffy was surprised. She would think that Giles would be hoping up and down in unabashed joy if Spike was to disappear from her life. The fact that he seemed to be genuinely sorry for what had happened made her want to open up to him even more. “Spike and I had a argument. He wants to go back to LA, but I can’t leave Cleveland. I’m needed here. The girls…they depend on me.”
“What had brought this on?” Giles frowned.
“Spike feels uncomfortable here. He thinks people blames him for what happened to me. I tried reasoning with him, but he said that he has friends LA. He has a life there and he feels that he’s doing good helping Angel like he’s doing. I tried to get him to see that I can’t just pick up and leave…”
“Well, actually Buffy…you can,” Giles cleared his throat, knowing that what he was about to do was a big step for him. He was giving his blessing…he was letting his slayer go and that was the hardest thing he was ever to do…but it had to be done. With the world full of slayers now…there was no need for him to keep Buffy trapped in the life she was leading. Happiness was right around the corner for the girl he had grown to love as a daughter and he wasn’t going to let her pass it up.
“Huh?” Buffy’s eyes widened, surprised by Giles words.
“Buffy…things are different here then they were when we had destroyed Sunnydale. There are more fully trained slayers now…plus, Faith had put in a request to transfer to Cleveland since her and Robin broke up…”
“Ugh, I can’t believe that jerk did that to her,” Buffy angrily growled at the thought of Robin Wood. Faith had caught him bed with some blond ho. They both had been lucky to leave with their lives.
“The point is Buffy…with the new slayers and Faith wanting to transfer…that leaves you open to go wherever or whenever you want. There is no need for you to stay here anymore. So if Spike really does have his heart set on going back to LA…there’s nothing holding you here. Unless you just like living on hell mouths, of course.”
Buffy was beyond touched. She knew Giles true feelings for Spike…she knew that he wouldn’t fully approve of Spike, but he was willing to accept things as they were and let her go. She opened her mouth to convey to Giles how much she loved him, but her declaration was interrupted by Paige’s hair raising scream from down in the foyer of the complex. Giles and Buffy arrived just in time to see Willow’s new fiancée pressed against the left wall, her face as white as a sheet. She looked straight at Buffy, her blue eyes bright with alarmed horror.
“Spike,” Paige croaked, her body beginning to tremble as Willow wrapped steady arms around her frame. “Spike’s in trouble. The dark princess had come to take him away.”
Buffy felt her body grow even colder then she already was as she felt her bond to Spike and knew that what Paige had said was true. Her Spike was in danger. She looked at Angel who had exited his own room at the sound of Paige’s scream, Gunn, Wesley, and Lorne surrounding him. She knew by the look in his dark eyes that she had the same thought she had.
Drusilla.