16

“Bloody hell,” That was the first word out of Spike’s mouth as he regained consciousness. His head felt as if it had been filled with cotton and his limbs felt tired and strained. He soon knew why as his chains rattled as he attempted to move. He was chained from the ceiling, just like Buffy had been when The Master had her in his clutches. The last thing he remembered was rejecting Drusilla’s attempts to reunite. He had told her that Buffy was waiting for him and then everything had gone black. She must have knocked him out somehow and chained him up. That loony bint had obviously couldn’t take objection very well.
Taking a look at his surroundings, Spike found himself in a small cavern filled with candlelight and blindfolded dolls. Yes, Dru definitely was behind his recent situation. “Dru! Drusilla, you better bloody well show your self! You stupid bint, you have no idea with who you’re messing with! The slayer will have your eyeballs for breakfast, love! Better let me go now and I’ll forget this ever happened!”
“Temper, temper William. You ought to know tantrums will get you nowhere,” The Master entered, Drusilla gliding behind him with a mischievous glint in her eyes.
“William doesn’t want to be here,” Dru pouted, as she slid up behind Spike and let her hands slide over his shoulders. “My William wants to go away from here. He wants to go back to that nasty slayer.”
“Well, we’ll just have to do something about that, now won’t we, my dear,” The Master leered at Spike, his face only inches from the younger vampire’s. “We’ll get your William back. The magic I have planned, they will make William forget the past four years. He’ll be yours again my pet and he’ll paint this town red.”
Spike’s eyes widened at those words as he realized what they meant. Magic. They were going to put him under a sodding spell! Bloody hell! He couldn’t let this happen! Everything he had gone through would have been for nothing. He’ll lose everything. Buffy, Angel’s respect, the acceptance of the scoobies…not that he ever really cared about the scoobies acceptance, but he didn’t want to lose any of it.
“Dru once I get out of these chains, I’m going to do what Angelus should have done years ago, you stupid bint!” Spike threatened, struggling against the chains, trying his best to break free.
“Oh Spike, how I do love it when you threaten me,” Dru pressed against his body as she vamped out. “My sweet William,” She bit into his neck, moaning in delight as he tensed and his blood flowed into her mouth, making her more lucid. His blood has always been the best treatment for her insanity. “Don’t fret William. Soon you will forget all about that pesky soul and you’ll be yourself again. You’ll come home to your princess.” She pat his head after withdrawing from his neck and followed the Master out of the room, leaving Spike in his chains and hoping that Buffy would hurry up and find him before any spell could take place.
~*~
She was too late. She could feel it. As soon as Angel had confirmed her own feelings on what had happened to Spike, Buffy had rushed out of the house determined to rescue her lover from the insane ho-bag. She followed the bond she shared with Spike to the park, just to find it empty. She frowned as she sniffed the air to find traces of leather, alcohol, and those blasted cigarettes he loved so much. Yes, he had been here but now he wasn’t. This must have been where Dru took him.
“Buffy!” Angel ran up to her out of breath, his own worry evident in his eyes. “Spike was here. So was Dru…and The Master. “They must have taken him to their lair.”
“No. No, they knew we’d look there. They wouldn’t go back…not with Spike. Damn it, where are they?” Buffy sniffed. She cursed as she tried to access the bond again just to find it blocked. It was as if he had never been there. Obviously, they had hidden him from her somehow. She closed her eyes, trying not to panic. She’ll find Spike. She had to. There was to be no other outcome then her finding him and taking him home. “I can’t even feel him anymore. Is that normal?”
Angel sadly shook his head, not knowing how to comfort Buffy, even if she’d let him. He wasn’t exactly her favorite person lately. “I can’t feel him either. They must have dampened the bonds somehow. Listen, we’ll find him, and when we do…we’ll make them pay. I promise. Right now…let’s go back to the complex and brainstorm.”
Buffy looked at Angel, her eyes wide in indignation and anger. Go back to the complex while Spike was in the claws of Drusilla, doing who knows what to him? No way! She wasn’t abandoning him now! She was ready to stay out there all night until she had Spike back in her arms again. “No. Not until we find Spike”
“We don’t even know where he is. We’re doing him no good right now. Plus, you need to feed. Please, just listen to me this once?”
“But Spike…”
“We’ll find him, but we need to keep our strength up and our wits in tact. Even if you find him tonight…you’d be too weakened to fight Dru and The Master both. You’re the strongest slayer now Buffy, but you still need nourishment.”
Buffy sighed. Deep down, she knew that she wasn’t going to be able to get to Spike that night…but she didn’t want to go back to that cold, lonely bed. She didn’t want to face sympathetic looks from her friends and colleagues. She just wanted to walk back there with Spike by her side and sleep the night away in his arms. Why was that so much to ask? “I need him, Angel. I can’t just give up.”
“You’re not giving up. I promise. We’ll go back, I’ll make some calls. I’ve had Drusilla followed, so maybe my spy knows where they’re holding him. We need more weapons and you need to eat.”
Buffy bit her lip, fighting back the tears that wanted to flow. She couldn’t do that now. Not in front of Angel. She wasn’t going to cry until she could be alone. “Ok. Fine. Lead the way,” Buffy relented, not bothering to look at him.
Angel just sighed once again, wondering what the powers were playing at. Why couldn’t they just let him and his loved ones be happy? Why did they give them chances at happiness, just to snatch it away again. This definitely wasn’t the way to treat your champions. Hopefully, they’ll get Spike soon and this time, he was going to make sure that both the Master and his insane childe were dust.
~*~
Spike sighed as he hung from his chains, bored out of his bloody mind. Frankly, he had no idea how he was going to get out of this one, especially if Dru and The Master used magic to make him forget all he had accomplished in the past four years. Everything he had fought for, gone…well he’ll still have the sodding soul, but he’d lose his purpose for having it. The Scooby’s respect, Angel’s comraderie, Dawn’s canfidence…and Buffy’s love. All of it would be forgotten.
He strained against his chains, thinking that if he pulled hard enough, the chains would come loose somehow; but they didn’t. They remained attached to the ceiling, trapping him in what looked to be a hopeless situation.
“Bloody fucking hell! Dru! Let me out of here! I’m not kidding you loony bint! I’ll rip your sodding head off that pasty body of yours if you don’t unchain me this bloody minute!” He yelled, his temper at the boiling point.
“Temper much! I thought that soul of yours was supposed to dampen that.”
Spike’s eyes widened as the room filled with bright white light, just to fade back into the dimness of the room, leaving Cordelia Chase in it’s wake. She looked at the chained vampire a bit uncertainly, her arms crossed against her chest, hands hugging her shoulders. It was obvious that she wasn’t happy to be there.
“Cordelia? What the hell…,” Spike looked at her in shock. She had been the last person he was expecting to see. He didn’t know her very well, so was at a lost for why she would pop in like this…wait…was she there to rescue him? Thank the powers for finally getting their bloody acts together! “If you’re here to rescue me pet, you better do it now. Who knows when Dru and her bat-faced gramps will return.”
Cordelia just smiled and shook her head. “Sorry big guy. The powers have other plans.”
Spike frowned. Other plans? What the hell! What plans could the fucking powers have that was more important then setting him free?! “What other plans can they possibly have? Do they know about what Dru has up her sleeves?”
“Seesch, just announce my presence why don’t you? Can you quiet it down please and let me explain? Yes, the powers know all about your ex-honey’s plans to use magic to steal your memories. Trust me, it ain’t going to happen. Hah, it’s kind of funny when you think about it. The psycho doesn’t even realize that you’d still have that soul of yours.”
“Will you please get to the sodding point? What are your bosses up to?” Spike spoke through clenched teeth, trying to keep a leash on his temper. Getting angry and impatient was not going to get him back to Buffy any faster.
“Hey! Give me a minute. I’m building up to a point here.”
“Forget the build up, you lousy bint and just give me the bloody point!” Spike snapped, inwardly cursing himself for losing his temper anyway.
“Ok. Fine. Gah, Angel is so much easer to deal with. Of all the vamps to kidnap, they just had to…”
“Cordelia,” Spike growled, all patience gone.
Cordy just rolled her eyes and sighed dramatically before continuing. “Dru’s spell didn’t work. She had already cast it and the powers blocked you from it. What you are to do is pretend that the spell worked. Pretend that you’re the old Spike that first came to Sunnydale to kill the slayer.”
“Bloody hell…for how long?”
Cordy shrugged and smiled. “For as long as it takes to take down Dru and The Master. Make them trust you Spike. That way, they won’t be expecting you to be in on destroying them.”
“And Buffy? What about her? You do know, they’re planning to go after her next.”
“Don’t you worry about Buffy. She’ll be fine. You just do your part. It’ll be ok Spike. I know it’s hard to trust the powers. After all the crap that they’ve put you through, so trust me instead. You’ll be back in Buffy’s arms before you know it.”
“I better be,” Spike sighed, resigned to his fate. He was going to be a double agent for the powers. Some vamps just have all the fun, don’t they?
Cordelia startled as the stale air carried the sound of Dru’s laughter into the room. “They’re coming, I better go. Remember, be the old Spike.”
“Sure thing, pet. The big bad, coming right up,” he watched his spirit guide disappear just as Drusilla entered with The Master trailing behind her. All right. Here goes nothing. “Dru baby? What’s the hell going on? Is this some kinky idea of yours? Well baby, not that I mind, but can we get on with it? It’s not nice to keep a bloke waiting…not to mention that I have a slayer to kill.”
Dru squealed in delight. The spell worked, just like the dark witch had promised it would. “He’s back! My William is mine again!” She threw her arms around him “Oh Spike, how I’ve missed you!”
“Didn’t realize I went anywhere, pet,” Spike forced himself to lean into her embrace, forcing down the bile that threatened to raise up. He mentally repeated to himself that this charade would be over soon and then he’d be back in his slayer’s arms, never to leave again. “Come on, kitten. Unchain me so we can paint this town red.”
Dru just laughed with delight as she unlocked the chains, unaware that Spike was still on the side of the white hats.