Author’s Note: I want to thank everyone for their cool replies. I really appreciated them and kept me from giving up on this story completely. I’m sorry this took me so long, but finally I’ve reached the end of the story. The last two chapters of NBY are now complete. Writing this story had been fun and full of both challenges and frustration. Completing it is a real accomplishmentJ
I hope you all aren’t disappointed by how the story ends. Again, thank you so much your support.

Chapter 20

A muffled groan was the first thing out of Buffy’s mouth as she woke up. Her head was pounding and her limbs ached with each movement . She grimaced, realizing that she was tied up and gagged. Obviously Drusilla didn’t want her making any noise when she woke up. Stupid witch. That ho-bag was going to pay for this. Buffy was going to make sure of it. The funny thing was, she couldn’t remember how she got in this situation. The last thing she remembered was kicking the piss out of Drusilla, demanding to know where she was holding Spike, when she was hit by what felt like a bulldozer. This was not good.
“Pretty slayer. So much power,” Drusilla’s voice cooed from somewhere above, Buffy couldn’t tell where. Everything was so muddled…so strange. Where was she? Where was Spike? What did Drusilla do to him?
Turning onto her back, Buffy’s eyes widened as the one question running through her head since she woke up was answered. There was Spike, standing between Drusilla and The Master, his usually blue eyes void of all emotion. If there was any affection for her in him, he didn’t let on. It was like Drusilla had somehow sucked all the love he had right out of him; but Buffy didn’t give up hope. She couldn’t. This was Spike. She had chased him away so many times and he always returned. She had tried so hard in the past to make him hate her, but he never did. Spike had fought tooth and nail for them to be together. To take his love for her completely away…it was probably impossible.
“Ungag her,” The Master commanded, his red eyes glowing in malicious glee. He had great plans for the turned slayer. He was going to make her into one of the most blood-thirsty creatures in history, but first he was going to break the trust she held in her sire. He was going to stand back as her lover drained her as if she was just another slayer to add to his reputation as the slayer of slayers.
“Spike,” Buffy gasped once the gag came off. She felt desperation gang up on her as she noticed that Spike looked as if he didn’t recognize her. Tears burned her eyes as she wondered how Dru accomplished what she did. How did Drusilla make Spike fall out of love with her. She had thought it was impossible. She had thought that Spike would always love her. Maybe all wasn’t lost…maybe there was still a spark of love left within him somehow. Maybe there was a chance to reach that spark and nurture it back to the flaming passion she was so familiar with. Even if there wasn’t…she had to at least try. She wasn’t about to lose Spike…not without a fight.
“Spike, baby. It’s me. Buffy…your childe…the woman you love…remember? You’d never hurt me. We love one another. The way we made love…the way we are with one another…I love you Spike and you love me too. Don’t let them take that away from us. Fight them, baby. You’re stronger then this. I know you can fight them. Please…”
It was like Buffy was talking to a brick wall. Spike showed no signs of warmth towards her at all. He only coldly smiled at her as he reached down and pulled her up from the floor.
“I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time, pet. My third slayer…a vamped slayer at that,” Spike forced the self satisfied smirk as he went into vamp face, thinking that the visage will help him seem more menacing to Dru and the old crone somehow. His heart broke at the devastated sob that ripped from Buffy’s trembling lips. He was hurting her and couldn’t stop…not now when he was so close. He only hoped that she would forgive him once this was all over. He wouldn’t blame her if she didn’t. He probably blown the chance he had with her. All before it had even begun.
Buffy closed her eyes as cool tears tumbled down her cheeks. This was it. Her final death by the hands of her sire…the man she loved. After all the obstacles…all the heartfelt conversations and love making…he was really going to kill her. Well…at least try. After all, she had on the Gem of Amara. Nothing could hurt her…right?
Drusilla cackled madly in delight. At last the slayer was going to be punished for tempting her sweet William away. At last, her knight will be hers again, once the bad girl was away.
Spike himself…he was on the brink of a breakdown. The powers had to be bloody insane! Him? Bite Buffy? Kill her. ..or at least try since she was wearing the gem, thank goodness for small favors. But really, there was no way he could fake it…there was no way he could do this at all, he won’t! The powers were going to have to find another way to deal with Dru and The Master. As of now…he quit!
Spike’s expression softened and his vampire guise disappeared. Maybe if he just took Buffy and made a run for it. That could work. Right? Well might as well give it a try. It was the only way he could think of getting them both out of this place. He was just about to lift the trembling slayer into his arms when Cordelia’s voice rang in his head.
“This is it Spike. This is the moment we’ve been waiting for. Kill Dru and the geezer now. Do it fast and quick!” Cordelia demanded, her voice strong and sure in his head. Spike shock his head. Well it was about bloody time.
“Spike…please…don’t do this. Please…remember our love…remember our plans,” Buffy sobbed, straining against the ropes that held her. She was just about free…if she could just distract him for just a few more minutes, she’ll be free and can give Drusilla and The Master the ass kicking of a lifetime.
Spike cursed Cordelia and her bloody bosses. How did they expect him to carry out their demands? He had Buffy in a very dangerous position at the moment. Her pleas and sobs were breaking his heart and Dru was watching him closely…if he didn’t bite her soon they were going to be suspicious. How in the bloody hell was he going to do this?
“You know what to do Spike. Follow your instincts,” Cordelia again. She sounded so determined and sure that he knew exactly what to do. He inwardly prayed to the powers that he wouldn’t let her down. If he did…there was no telling what they’d do to his childe.
Spike closed his eyes and pulled the trembling Buffy close against his chest. He leaned down to her neck as if he was going to bite her when all hell broke loose. Shouts and curses filled the lair as It came under attack. He opened his eyes to see slayers and scoobies flowing into the room, crosses and stakes at the ready. They had come for their leader and they were going to stake first and ask questions later, by the looks of it. Bloody hell, this was not in the plan!
Drusilla cried out in frustration as she watched more minions turned into dust. It was beyond obvious that she hadn’t seen this attack coming! The Master was not pleased either, but he wasn’t too worried. He was going to feast on the blood of these intruders, but first he wanted them to see the fall of their leader.
“What are you waiting for, boy? Finish her!” The master growled impatiently at Spike, noticing the younger vampire’s hesitation.
Buffy’s eyes widened at what she saw. Her girls in all their glory. Slayers, doing what they were made for…doing what she had taught them to do. She had never felt so proud of them. They were magnificent. Young, beautiful, and lethal and they had come to rescue her and Spike. Pride turned to horror when she spotted Xander approaching Spike, a raised stake in his hand. For a moment, she forgot about the Gem of Amara still nestled on Spike’s finger. She forgot that he was protected from stakes and other lethal objects. All she knew was that her best friend was aiming to kill the man she loved. “Xander no!”
“Let her go dead boy junior!” Xander angrily shouted, his brown eyes full of intent on rescuing Buffy somehow, even if it ended in his own death. A strangled gasp left him as Drusilla was suddenly between him and his target. The stake was now in her right had and his throat tightly clasped in her other. Her dark eyes drew Xander in, losing him in their depths.
“Bad dog. It’s not nice to attack the master of the palace,” Drusilla vamped, remembering how she had wanted this boy once but the spell fairies had taken him away from her. At last, she had him back and was going to taste his many treats. “Pretty dolly. Mrs. Edith wants tea with her cake, but you will do.”
Just as Drusilla lowered Xander down to her waiting fangs, Spike let Buffy go and plunged his stake into his ex’s heart. A strangled cry escaped her as she looked back at Spike, her eyes full of betrayal.
“My William…you’ve killed me. There will be no cakes today,” was the last thing out of her mouth before she crumbled to dust.
Xander fell to the ground, choking on the dust left from Drusilla’s demise. He glared up at Spike, who at the moment seemed to be in shock. After all, that was the woman he had spent a century with. She had been a big part of him and he dusted her as if she was simply a fledgling. He could hardly believe it. Dru was gone and it was all because of him.
As for Xander, he was glad Drusilla was dust. She was as crazy as they came and he would not miss her a bit. “Could you have done that before she squeezed all the feeling from my throat? He wheezed.
Spike’s snaky reply was lost in The Master’s angry roar. It had happened again. His favorite childer…dead! “You killed her! My favorite grandchilde! You shall all pay for this travesty! I shall feast upon all your bones! Your blood shall be my wine! I…” All words left the despot as strong hands gripped the side of his head.
“Yeah, yeah. Heard it all before,” Buffy snorted, before twisting the head off The Master’s body. Her nose crinkled in disgust as he disintegrated into dust. Unlike before, not even his bones remained.
Silence reigned supreme. Spike and Buffy just stood a few feet away from each other, neither know what to say or what to do next. It felt like years since they saw each other last.
Different thoughts and emotions ran through Spike’s mind. Drusilla, his dark princess, the woman he had spent a century with…she was dead. Dusted by the stake of the man that had once adored her. Buffy…she was safe…stronger then ever and his. At last she was truly his. There was no words to describe how just knowing that made him feel. She was the kind of woman he had always wanted, even in his human years. He had never dared to dream that he’d ever have her, hold her, shower her with his love…but he did and no one was ever going to keep them apart. He wouldn’t let them.
Buffy blinked back the tears that threatened to over come her once again. The past few days had been pure hell for her. She had been so sure that she’d lose Spike, that she’d have to face eternity alone. Then Drusilla had shown up and then there Spike was, alive…or undead, but seemingly cold and unfeeling. She had thought that she had lost him somehow. But she hadn’t. Spike was before her now, the emotion back in his blue eyes, fear, grief, relief, love, and all of it for her. Her sobs of relief broke the silence as she flew into his arms, holding onto him as tight as she could.
It had been an act! All of it! He had never stopped loving her! He never would. The way he held her close and whispered sweet, comforting words in her ear testified to that. Despite Drusilla’s efforts, Spike had never stopped wanting her.
“You’d like to explain what went down here?” Angel entered, his team trailing behind him. He sighed in relief to see the room absent of Dru and The Master. They must have won somehow.
“Yeah!” Xander got to his feet, rubbing his tender throat, sore from Drusilla’s tight grip. “Why were you about to bite Buffy? Are you evil again or not?!”
Spike couldn’t help but to roll his eyes. Leave it to the bloody whelp to bring up the hard questions.
“They were testing me. Bloody gits wanted to see if I’d kill my childe,” Spike shrugged, not meeting Buffy’s eyes, yet not relinquishing his hold on her hand. He knew he had a lot to explain and trust to regain here, but as long as Buffy kept her hand in his, he’d be able to regain everything Dru and the crone had stolen from him.
As if sensing his thoughts, Buffy squeezed his hand in support. No matter what, he had her love and trust. She’ll stand by his side, no matter what.
“So you were just going to bite Buffy? The woman you claim to love? You were just going to kill her to pass their stupid test?!” Xander glared angrily at the British vampire. He had known all along that Spike couldn’t be trusted. He didn’t deserve Buffy. He was just like Angel. He played on their trust and as soon as he got what he wanted, he’d take a bite out of Buffy!
“Quiet boy!” Angel glared at Xander, his dislike for the boy more then evident. He knew Xander had never stopped loving Buffy and took way too much joy in potential problems in this new relationship. “Let Spike explain.”
Spike nodded at Angel, grateful for his back up. The scoobies all had a habit of railroading and not listening to reason. It was nice to have someone there to shut them down. “Of course I wasn’t. You forgot about the rings, obviously. I couldn’t hurt her, even if I wanted to. Bloody hell, you saw my reaction the night she died! Do you really believe that I’d even think about killing her?”
“He has a point, Xander,” Willow apologetically smiled at her friend. She had stood by and watched Spike grieve the night Buffy had jumped through Glory’s portal. She had arrived at his crypt a number of times to stop him from meeting the sunrise. There was no way that Spike would ever intentionally hurt Buffy.
“It was all a ruse. That Cordelia bint, she told me to play along with Dru and old bat face’s plan and kill them at the best opportunity.”
“Well then why did you bite Sarah if you were only pretending?” Xander crossed his arms, not believing Spike for a second.
“I had no way of faking it. I knew Peaches was near by, so I took just enough to trick Dru and hoped Angel was smart enough to get the girl to help.”
“So you were never under Drusilla’s spell?” Buffy asked, wishing that the vampiress was still alive so she could rip her to shreds herself.
“Nope. I was still the same old Spike. Bloody soul and all.”
“But you liked drinking from her,” Angel crossed his arms, remembering the gleam of satisfaction in Spike’s eyes once he was done with the girl.
“I’m a vampire, mate. Of course I’m going to like it.”
Tired, Buffy pulled Spike towards the door. She was ready to leave this place and get some shut eye. It has been a long couple of days. “Listen, is everyone satisfied here? Spike can still be trusted.”
Every one reluctantly nodded their heads, even Giles. They somehow knew that they had no choice in the matter. Spike had Buffy’s trust and she was the only one that mattered.
“You heard her. Let’s get out of here,” Angel followed the couple, not looking back to make sure the other’s were following.
Too tired from worrying, the other’s followed, no more questions asked. They were just happy that Buffy and Spike were safe and obviously happy. Really, that was all that mattered.
~*~
He’s been back for over twelve hours now. Hours spent in Buffy’s arms, who was still reluctant to be away from him for even a second. Spike had to admit, her attention felt good. Whatever doubts he may have had about the slayer’s feelings for him…they’ve all been thrown out the window. Watching her sleep, he was willing to do anything for her…even remain in Cleveland. It wasn’t what he preferred, but this was where she wanted to be. For better or worse.
Buffy sighed in contentment as she opened her eyes, more relaxed then she’s ever been. She smiled as she found herself still surrounded by strong arms and cool skin. Spike was back and she was never letting him go ever again. She squeezed his hand and thought of how selfish she had been through their relationship. For the first time ever, it had been all about him and she wasn’t going to stop. She was done being selfish. For now on, she was going to do what was good for Spike.
“So…when do we leave for LA and will we be staying with Angel, because if that’s the case…” Buffy stretched, turning around to face her sire, enjoying the expression of pure awe in his eyes.
Spike stared at her in disbelief. He bloody well couldn’t believe he had heard her correctly. His goldilocks had been so adamant about staying in Cleveland. She had fought him hard on the subject when he had first brought it up that long ago evening, when Dru had disrupted their lives. “What happened to your need to stay here, Luv? Thought the little slayers needed you.”
Buffy smiled, ignoring the slightly suspicious gleam in his eyes. She couldn’t blame him for not trusting her. She had out right refused to hear him out about LA, and now here she was, already to pack her bags. “I talked with Giles. He assured me that I wasn’t needed here after all. He said that I should start living my life and he was right. I’m not the slayer anymore. I’m one of many. It’s time I settle down and start enjoying myself. It’s time to be happy.”
“Smart man, that Rupert,” Spike grinned, feeling beyond happy. Finally, all he had ever wanted was coming true. He was going to spend eternity with the woman he loved and who loved him in return. No longer was he the bloody awful poet, pining away for a woman that was “above” him. At last, he found someone who was his equal. “You’re going to love LA, baby. You and me, helping the bloody hopeless…”
“And keeping an eye on Angel. I don’t trust that law firm of his,” Buffy sighed, snuggling closer to Spike’s body.
“Of course,” Spike’s hold on her tightened at the thought of Wolfram and Hart and what ever those sodding wankers had planned for Angel and his team. Whatever it was couldn’t be good. The Senior Partners were out to destroy Angel. Even though, he was no longer in need of his sire, he still felt for the ponce. He certainly didn’t want the Senior Partners to win. Angel needed protecting and now with his slayer/childe by his side, he could do just that. He and Buffy will be there to back Angel up. After all…family stuck together.
“We’re going to be bloody amazing, pet. LA hasn’t seen nothing yet.”
Buffy smiled at Spike’s words. He was so right. They were going to be amazing. They will make LA theirs. Looking up into his sapphire eyes, Buffy knew that she would always belong to him and he to her. Nothing was ever going to break them apart again. Not well meaning friends, condescending exes, or menacing big bads. They will face the big bads of tomorrow together and love each other wholly. Of that she was sure.
“I love you Spike.”
“I love you too, kitten. I’ll never stop.”
Buffy sighed in pleasure as his mouth plundered hers and strong arms held her close. She was protected and loved. Sighing again, she returned the kiss and allowed the passion to carry her away to a world where only Spike mattered…a world where there was nothing but him.