Epilogue
Los Angeles
One Week Later…
Angel sat on the park bench, just watching Buffy and Spike frolic in the sunlight. Just by looking at them, he knew that they had something that he could never hope to touch again. Love in it’s truest form. Spike and Buffy would do anything for each other. Their affection…it went way beyond the bond of sire and childe. It was the bond that only soul mates shared.
He sighed, beginning to feel the familiar bitterness that rose up in his chest. Once upon a time, he had been the love of Buffy’s life. He had been the one that she saved her love and kisses for. Now, she barely acknowledged him. All that love was now meant only for Spike. It wasn’t fair! All that work…all those stupid trials! They had all been for nothing. He had once thought that Buffy was his prize, now he knew that wasn’t so. She had been his goal…now that goal was gone forever and he was at a lost. He had lost Buffy and the other woman that he dared to love…Cordelia. He had lost her right when he found her. None of it was fair.
“Oh please. Not again with the brooding!” Cordelia came up from behind, startling the brunette vampire. Her brown eyes flashed with exasperation. “Don’t you have anything better to do then mope over Buffy and Spike?”
“What do you want Cordy? I’m kind of busy here,” Angel didn’t even bother to look at her. Actually, it hurt too much. Seeing Cordy there…so unreachable….it hurt more then seeing Buffy move on with her life…err…unlife. Seeing Cordy…it killed him all over again.
“As if! Busy doing what? All I can see you doing is setting here with a long face. Come on big guy. The Powers have another mission for you. Something to take your mind off of Barbie and Ken over there.”
“If it’s another mission from The Powers Cordy, you can tell them to get bent. They have done nothing but made my life miserable. They’ve taken away everything I had ever loved. Buffy…Connor…you…even Spike. The Powers had made damn sure that I’ll never have him back and even this lousy gem they gave me can never make up for that. So as for more missions…no. Not this vampire.”
Cordelia sighed as she shook her head. Angel held so much resentment and hurt towards The Powers. No matter what Wolfram and Hart got their claws into him so easily. It was going to be a difficult job to show him just how far their new award had reached.
“Angel…yes. What The Powers did to you…it sucked. I’m not saying it didn’t, but they’ve done good too. This new mission…well…it should make up for a lot.”
“What can possibly make up for all they’ve done Cordy? What? Can they give me back my son and erase the past? Could they give me Buffy back?”
Cordelia gently touched Angel’s cheek and smiled as his eyes widened in shocked realization. She was solid! She could touch him and by God, he could touch her! If he had been alive, his heart would threaten to burst through his chest.
“Cordy…you’re….here,” a tear slipped from his eyes as he stood from the bench and his arms circled her small waist. God, she felt so good. Soft, warm, and alive.
“Duh. As for the power’s mission…it’s to make me happy. Think you’re up to the job? Or would you rather just set here and brood?”
Angel chuckled, feeling the weight of his melancholy slip away. “Of course I’m up to it….but wait…the soul…”
“It’s safely anchored. Angelus had made his last appearance. You’re free Angel. You can be as happy as you want now and we can be as groiny as we want. So see, The Power’s really aren’t that bad…at least in my book anyway.”
Angel just laughed, feeling pure joy for what he had just gained. Love was his again and this time Angelus will never be able to steal it away again. He was free.
Meanwhile, Buffy watched the joyful reunion between her former lover and her ex-rival. She had to admit, she was happy to see him smile. It was good that Cordy could do that for him. She turned around to face Spike and frowned at the longing she saw in his eyes…the need. Spike needed his sire and no matter how angry she was with Angel, she’d never deny the man she loved what he needed most. Besides, she was pretty much over it. It was time to fix their little family.
“Spike…if you want Angel to be your sire again…go ahead and ask. I don’t mind.”
Spike looked at her, his astonishment of her increased. His slayer seemed to enjoy surprising him each and every day with what she was willing to do for him. Letting go of her anger with Peaches for his sake…it was bloody amazing. “Are you sure, love? I know how you feel about him and with the cheerleader back…she’ll be around more often too.”
“I’m fine. I don’t hate him anymore…well not too much anyway. As for Cordy…she’s not so bad. We may even become friends. Besides, he’s your sire. He owns a part of you that no one else can touch. You need him…just like I need you. You’ve been without him for way too long. I say it’s time for all of us to be a family.”
Spike smiled, pulling her close and kissing her forehead. He was touched by how deeply she had seen into his soul. She knew of his longing for his sire and loved him anyway. She really was an amazing woman.
“I love you.”
Buffy smiled and let him lead her over to the still rejoicing Angel and Cordelia. She sighed with a smile. She had come a long way from the spoiled, stuck up teenager she used to be. She had at one time informed her watcher Merrick that all she wanted to do was go to Europe, marry Christian Slater, and die. Now she knew how foolish those aspirations were. All of those things were nothing next to what she had now. A love that will last for eternity.
“Are you ok, pet? Do you need anything?” Spike asked, just before they reached Angel. He had felt the slayer’s thought patterns and was concerned. He couldn’t help but wonder if she had changed her mind about being with him. If that was the case…he didn’t know what he would do.
Buffy only smiled, her love for him again overwhelming her. There was no words for how much she loved this man. “Nothing but you.”
Touched once again, Spike wrapped his arm around her as they headed for Angel, knowing that they’ll always be together…come what may.

THE END