Epilogue

Everything was perfect. As perfect as it could be anyway. She was still Buffy and he was still Spike and they could still argue like there was no tomorrow. The best part now however was, they could make up like there was no tomorrow too. They lived together now, Buffy having moved in shortly after their stay in Salem. Spike had asked her immediately, his reasoning-and it made sense-was that they had spent so much time apart and had been in love the whole time (even if someone didn't want admit it), it was just a natural step. Buffy happily agreed, not wanting another moment apart from her mate.

Giles and Joyce were beyond thrilled at their relationship-Joyce having always known that it would happen, always having WISHED that it would. She claimed her daughter was thick, something that Spike readily agreed to. Giles was thrilled that his witch now had found peace within herself and that Spike, who loved her for eternity it seemed, was by her side. Neither of them dwelled on the fact that Buffy would never have a 'normal' life with a 'normal' husband and children. What was normal anyway? And being that normal wasn't part of her vocabulary anymore, Buffy found herself a tad shocked and at a loss for words when she stared at the stick in front of her as she sat on the toilet seat.

She waegnaegnant. According to that stick in her hand, she was with child. How in the hell could that possibly be? Her mind was racing, she was glad, so very glad on the one hand. On the other hand, she was frightened. What if something happened to her? What if she were in a fight and something happened to the baby? She clutched at her stomach, fearful. She'd have to stop slaying for a while. Or forever. She couldn't leave the child to be hurt; she couldn't leave it motherless. And how would Spike react? Would he be accepting of this? He had lived for so long thinking he could never have children and Buffy didn't even know if he WANTED them.

"Buffy?" She heard him call. He was home now, having gone out to get something for them for dinner. She gulped. It was now or never. Not like she could keep something like this from him. Better to face it head on without any secrets. If she learned anything from that strained time with Spike it was that.

"Luv? I've got buffalo wings."

She stood on shaky legs and placed the stick on the counter. Splashing cold water on her face and taking a deep breath, she came out of the bathroom and entered the kitchen. She watched him put plates out and cups. Who would tho thought Spike would own plates and cups? She smiled, since she moved in, that's when.

He turned to see her standing there, hands behind her back. "Hey luv. You all right? You look a little pale."

She nodded. "I love you."

His gaze softened completely as it did everytime she told him she loved him. "I love you too, pet."

"Spike?"

"Yeah?" He asked as he took the food out of the bags and started serving it on the plates.

"Do you remember when we went to the movies and I read your palm?"

He stopped and grinned, "yep. It was our first official date."

"Yeah, remember um, what I read on your palm?"

"You said that I was going to have a long life," he chuckled.

"Do you remember anything else?"

"Marriage." He stopped. "Do you want to get married Buffy?"

She felt defensive now for some reason, "do YOU want to get married?"

"We already are-"

"In vampire traditions, but not by human traditions."

"Do you want to get married by human traditions?"

"Well, only if you want to."

Spike shook his head and sat down. "Buffy," he sounded exasperated. "After all we've been through, you still have to ask if I want to marry you? I just never thought about it. You and I are bound in ways that a typical marriage couldn't even come close to touching. I also know though that marriage in that sense is important to you, being a human and having grown up with that ingrained in you, I can understand that. You don't need to ask me if I want to, if you want to, then I want to."

"Then why did you seem scared about it when you asked if that's what I wanted?"

He looked at her sheepishly, "because I thought you were mad at me for not asking sooner."

She giggled, "we're a pair aren't we?"

"We are," he chuckled. "Is that what you were asking, kitten?"

"Actually no, but I think it's a good idea. Especially now. . ."

"Why especially now?"

"I think you better sit."

"I am sitting."

"Oh, right." She let out a short laugh. "Okay. Here goes. When I read your palm there was some question as to whether or not that palm was for the demon or William."

"Okay," he said slowly.

"And remember how mine said I was supposed to have three kids? And yours said the same thing?"

"Yeah," he said slowly again.

"Well, we don't have three. Yet. But it looks like we'll be having one for now."

He stared at her for a long time. He was in shock. Buffy took it upon herself to go into the bathroom, grab the stick and the box. She shoved the stick at him. "See? According to the box, a blue plus sign means you're expecting. And, on the stick. . . ." she pointed to it, 'blue plus sign."

His jaw dropped. "How--? When did--? How did--?"

"All very good questions. How, well, you know how. When? Not sure, but I'm sure a very nice doctor will be able to tell us that. How did it happen considering you're a vampire? I'm sure Giles will have a field day figuring that one out. Can you say something? Like, full sentences and preferably with emotion?"

"I just never thought I could have children. I never thought," his eyes welled with tears and automatically Buffy's did too. She could feel his awe and his wonder. "I wanted to, for you. I wanted to because I knew you did."

"And you? Do you want to? Do you want to be a Dad? Because you kind of have no choice. Well, you do have a choice. You could decide you don't want to be a Dad and I'd have no choice but to leave you if that was in fact your choice-"

Spike jumped up and smothered her in a kiss. "I want the baby, of COURSE I want the baby," he told her passionately.

She rested her head against his chest, "thank god. I was scared to tell you."

"Why would that scare you?" He asked, cupping her face in his hands and looking at her imploringly with tears in his eyes.

"Because you're a vampire. Not exactly supposed to have kids."

"So that means I wouldn't want them just because I'm not supposed to have them?"

"Well, no. But maybe you accepted that fact and just resigned yourself to it. Or, maybe you never wanted them in the first place."
"I did want children. Yours. I just never thought I could."

She smiled, a watery smile. "So you're happy then?"

"I'm so happy I don't think anything could knock me down."

"Don't say that. That'll just jinx us."

"Right."

"Can we just eat and you can take me to bed?"

Grinning, Spike swept her up in his arms and moved to the table, sitting her down on his lap. "I'm going to feed you. Pretty soon, you'll be feeding our baby. Now, I'm going to feed MY baby."

Buffy wrapped her arms around him, "I knew you would be the one. I so wanted you to be."

Spike held her tightly, "you, my life, this baby. . . you mean the world to me."

"You ARE the world," Buffy murmured against him. Then her head popped up. "What do you think of Dawn for a name?"


The End