Yep, Giles was a little jealous. I was toying with something there, then changed my mind. Thanks for the reviews!


Chapter Seven

Buffy endured hours of her mother badgering her about her sudden departure, about Spike, about her safety, about Giles and whatever else she could come up with to complain about. After a while, she found it difficult to listen.

“Mom, I love you, but I have things to do.”

“When am I going to see you again?”
“I don’t know, mom. I’ll be by in a few days.” She stopped then. The Slayer must have said something along the same lines as she went out to slay. She turned to her mother then and hugged her, hard.

“I’m not Spike, honey, that hug hurts.” Her mother complained.

“Sorry, mom.” She looked at her mother. “Mom, I love you. You know that, right?”

“I do, honey. Are you sure you’re all right? I’ve been so worried about you.”

“I’m good mom, I really am.”

“How’s Spike? Has he been taking care of you?”

Buffy nodded, biting her lip.

“I worry about you with all the vampires and demons…I never know when and if you’re going to come home in one piece.”

“I know, mom. I promise not to worry you anymore. There is some work I have to do though. Just make sure you don’t go out at night for a while okay?”

“Honey, what is going on?”

“I can’t tell you, you know that. Just promise me okay?”


Her mother looked so sad and worn. “I promise.”

She hugged her mother fiercely again and smiled encouragingly at her. “I love you mom. Just…remember that okay?”

“Honey you’re scaring me,” her mother looked about ready to cry.
“Everything is fine, I just think I don’t say that enough.” She tried to keep her tone light and smiled at her mother brightly. “I have to go now, mom. Spike must be getting ready to come look for me at Giles’.”

“Okay, honey. Call me tomorrow.”

“I will, mom.”

Buffy let some of her tears flow after leaving her mother’s house. She’d never taken the time to tell her mother how much she loved her in the past like that. It was scary what death threats made you think about what you were taking from granted.

Spike sighed heavily as he put on his duster. It was almost sundown, finally. He’d been climbing the walls all day. Not much on the telly, he’d read all his books and he’d done as much research he could on the new vampire gang. All the information given to him the day before, was all he had. In between all of that, he’d thought of nothing but Buffy. He could will her to come to him if he wanted to use the claim, but he knew she would not react kindly to that.
The night before had been a breakthrough for them and he felt their bond strengthen. She’d allowed him to be there for her, she’d released her fears and her anger and all he wanted to do was hold her until all the evils in the world went away. He’d spent a century with Dru and he’d never felt one ounce of what he felt for his beloved Buffy. He would literally die for her if she asked him to.
He paused. She was close by. He could smell her coming. The distinct scent of raspberries and something uniquely her.
She knocked on his door. He had to smile. After everything they’d been through, she felt the need to knock.

“Come in, luv,” he called out, a smile on his lips.

She opened the door and looked at him curiously. “Smell me again?”

He nodded and chuckled.

“Would you still know it was me if say, I didn’t shower for a week and rolled around in the mud?”

He laughed, “I would still know it was you.”

She plopped down on his couch. “I’m not going to lie to you, Spike. It’s weird.”

“You’ve been to your mothers?”

“Smell her on me did ya?”

He nodded. “How is she? I haven’t stopped by since…” Since I made you mine, he thought.

She looked away from him and frowned for a minute. “She’s fine. Worried about me, as usual. I hugged her a lot and told her I loved her.”

He looked at her sternly. “You’re not going to die, Buffy.”

She looked up at him, “I know. Well, sort of. Anyway, Spike, I need you to train with me a bit.” She stood and faced him. He studied her rosy cheeks and bright green eyes, her full lips and the small frame underneath her heavy coat. God, he loved her.

“Train? You mean, spar?”

“Yeah, that…plus, I was thinking we could take a walk in the cemetery together. Kill some vamps and whatnot. You could give me some pointers and help me hone my skills in sensing them. I can’t use you anymore to train me on that.” She let her voice trail off at the last sentence as she subconsciously rubbed her neck.

Right, the bite. “Have you been training at all, luv? Maybe we should warm up a bit before heading out?”

“I suppose. But, I don’t really have a whole lot of time to ‘warm up’. I trained a little when I was in London. Byron found a tae kwon do place—“

“Who’s Byron?”

“Oh, just some guy I met in London. He lived next door to me. He was very nice, very sweet.”

Jealousy bubbled inside of Spike. “Oh really? So, that’s why you didn’t want old Spike interfering. Afraid I’d deter your precious Byron?” He sneered.

She wrapped her arms around herself and burrowed deeper into her turtleneck and he caught fear in her eyes. Beneath his jealous addled brain he cursed himself. She was afraid he’d bite her again.

“That’s my cue to go,” she murmured and scurried toward the door. He ran with lightening speed at her and she turned suddenly surprising him and sent her leg out in a roundhouse kick. It sent him flying across the room.

“Don’t. Touch. Me.” She told him through clenched teeth. He looked up at her in shock.

“Buffy, I wasn’t going to bite you.” He told her, getting to his feet.

“Just in case you’re thinking about it.”

“I just wanted to talk to you.”

“So then use your words, Spike. God, I feel like I’m talking to a toddler!” She shouted at him.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly.

She folded her arms across her chest. “So, what did you want to say to me?”

That you belong to me. That Byron better be a faint memory. That I love you. Somehow he didn’t think she’d go for any of that.

“I don’t know anymore,” he sighed.

“I’m ready to put this little incident behind us and move on to business.” She told him and started for the door. She turned then and looked at him directly. “And not that it’s any of your business, despite the claim, but Byron is a seventy-year-old sweet, old man. If you want to even try to get back in my good graces, you’re going to have to learn to check your jealousy at the door.”

“Luv?” He asked tentatively.

“Yes?”

“I think you’ve warmed up enough.”

She bit back the ghost of a smile and Spike knew better than to let on he saw it. She turned on heel and walked out the door. Spike scrambled after her.