Chapter Thirteen

"She gets around huh?" Cordy said distastefully as Buffy and Lorne left the restaurant together on break.

Spike shot her a deadly glare, "just what are you trying to say?"

"I think her actions speak for itself. First Angel and now Lorne? And you. What the hell are you still waiting for? Christmas?"

"How'd you guess?" Spike muttered and hunched his shoulders, heading for the bar. Cordelia followed. "She was checking out your ass earlier."

His head shot up, his whole gait straightened, "what?"

She nodded, "saw it with my own two eyes."

"Where were you when she did this?"

"Across the room."

"You may have been mistaken."

"Why don't we go with I'm right? Make this easier for me."

Spike crossed his arms, "okay, so what do I do about it?"

"Let me ask you a question Spike. How long has Buffy been dating Angel?"

Spike frowned, "for about three weeks now."

"So, are you waiting until he moves in completely and takes Buffy AND Nate away from you?"

Spike's jaw clenched, "Nate and Buffy are MINE."

"If you don't do something about it soon, Spike, it's going to be their wedding I'm going to, not yours. Then you're going to be a bitter old man with a penchant for black leather and chaps. You'll turn this place into a strip club and hire only blondes with green eyes trying forever to find your 'Buffy', only Buffy will have moved on to Angel and whiteket ket fences with more kids. She'll keep Nate and her kids away from you because she's not going to want them hanging out with the bad influence you will then be. Nate will point you out to his friends on his way to school as you hang outside this joint, smoking clove cigarettes because they're heavier and last longer and for some reason, you t the they taste better. Only they'll leave you in a cloud of smoke where no one will want to come near you aside from the floozy of the month with the fake boobs looking to get a job and fast cash. Nate will point at you and say 'see that guy? He used to be my Uncle Spike.' Is that what you want?"

Spike's jaw dropped during her tirade. "Put much thought into that have you? The detail you put into that is mind-boggling and frightening."

"I call em' as I see em'," she shrugged.

"Chaps?"

"That one just came to me. Who knows, might work. With the way Buffy was staring at your ass earlier, she might like it."

"I don't think so.""You"You going to tell her?"

"Yes. Soon."

Cordy shook her head.

"What?"

She started to hum the wedding march and then stood straight, pretending to hold a bouquet of fls ins in front of her, "I Buffy Summers, take you, Angel O'Connor to be my-"

"Okay, I get it Cordy, knock it off." He started for his office. "Send Buffy in when she gets back would ya?"

"Sure thing boss!"



Buffy bounced into the room, "you wanted to see me?"

"Yeah, uh, Buffy I-" He choked. Okay, he HAD thought just coming out with it was the way to go, but now that he was faced with her, he found he couldn't do it. "I miss you."

Her whole expression softened and she smiled. "That's funny because I was thinking today that I missed you too."

"You do?" He asked hopefully.

She nodded vigorously and sat down, "everytime I see you lately it's just at work. I miss just hanging out with you. Nate's been asking about you too."

"He has?" More hope.

"Yep. Well, he points at that picture of you and him and holds up his hand as if to say 'what?' So I know he misses you."

"I miss him too. It's just been so hectic lately-"

"With business picking up-"

"And you dating Angel."

She looked down. "Yeah. I have Thursday off. Do you want to go with Nate and I to the aquarium? I think he'd get a kick out of it."

Spike smiled widely, "I'd love to."

She wove her way around his desk and snuck a peak at the pictures on his desk. He had two: one of her and one of Nate. She smiled.

"I told you that you guys are part of my family," he whispered seeing the question on her face. Would this freak her out? God, please don't let it. If it does, then this won't bode well for me.

"You ARE my family Spike," she told him softly.

"Buffy-" He stood, facing her. Close.

"Yeah?" She asked quickly, expectantly.

"I wanted to. . . That is, I wanted to. . . how are things with Angel?" Coward.

"Fine."

He nodded curtly. "Bells and whistles and all that rot?"

She took a step back, and shook her head. "Not exactly."

"Oh?" Hope.

"Spike, can I ask you a question?"

"You should know by now that you can ask me anything," he smiled at her silliness and sat on the edge of his desk, facing her.

"How long before you slept with Anya?"

He didn't want to answer that. He knew she hadn't slept with Angel yet. Buffy wouldn't just have sex if she weren't sure. She made sure she was the complete antithesis of her sister on that. Now that Nate was in the picture, Spike knew she was even more cautious of such activities. She had hated the revolving door Faith had with Nate around and because of that; Buffy was not about to let Nate have the chance to see them in any compromising position. Even if it was just sleeping in bed.

So now he didn't really know what to do with her question. He opted for honesty. That was the only way to win points with Buffy.

"On the first date."

Buffy let a look of disgust cross her face and she seemed to catch herself because her face became unreadable immediately.

"Never mind then," she waved her hand, dismissing the whole thing. "I think I'm going to have a chat with Lorne. Or Andrew. Excuse me." Okay, now she sounded angry. Why was she angry? Was she disgusted by his inability to control himself? Anya had been there too and for crying out loud, he was just a guy! He was about to tell her that when the door opened.

"Spike, sweet cheeks, there's an issue in the kitchen. Can you come?"

Buffy, he noted, was already on her way out the door. Spike sighed and followed Lorne to the kitchen.



What the hell had possessed her to ask such a stupid question? She had meant to ask him his thoughts on passion, but instead she asked the one question she really didn't want to know, nor need to know. Well, maybe that wasn't entirely true. The thing was though, if Spike was so freaking in love with her as Lorne had said then why the freaking hell was he waiting so goddamn long to tell her? And why had he gone and dated that tramp?

Okay, that wasn't fair. Was it? She had always thought that when you loved someone you couldn't sleep with anyone else. On the other hand, men had the uncanny ability to have sex without attachment. Then why had he dated her for so damn long then? If he possessed the ability to have sex without feeling, then he wouldn't have dated her for so long. He had said himself that he wasn't in love with her. She felt that she loved her boyfriend in high school and so she'd given him her virginity. It was the kind of teenage love that wasn't built to last or endure anything remotely difficult. They'd broken up soon after her mom died; he claimed he felt neglected. After that, it was Parker. He wooed her with big, flowery speeches on how special she was and how he really felt they had something. Needing, just like anyone, to feel loved, she slept with him, thinking he was her knight in shining armor. He took off shortly thereafter, giving her the great big blow off. From then on, Buffy had sworn she would NEVER do what Faith did and never have sex with someone unless she was a hundred percent sure she loved them and could trust them.

She was beginning to wonder though if bedroom activities could INDUCE those feelings of passion she felt she was missing with An So So far all they had done, all she had allowed, was some kissing. She knew he wanted more, but she just wasn't SURE.

Obviously Spike was not the person to ask. She wasn't about to ask him if she should have sex with Angel. Not that at all. She had meant to ask if he'd ever met someone that chemistry and passion was something that wasn't there right away, that it was something that came over time. But he had looked so cute and sexy sitting there with that boyish grin os fas face and she found all she could think about WAS sex. Then somehow that vile question had come out her mouth before she could stop it.

Then, the idea of Spike having sex with Anya had angered her. That gave birth to the thought that maybe there was something wrong with her. Faith and Anya, girls she knew at school, had sex without a second thought. Love was not in the equation. Chemistry wasn't necessarily in the equation either. Just as long as the guy was cute, that seemed to be enough. So maybe it wasn't that something was wrong with THEM, maybe it was HER. Maybe she should have sex with Angel. Maybe just doing it already would help her figure it out. She snatched the phone behind the bar.

"Hello?"

"Angel? It's me."

"Hey, Buffy. What's up?"

"Can you come over tonight?"

"Sure! Everything okay?"

"Perfect. Come over at nine, okay?"

"Shall I bring something?"

"Wine."

He coughed, "okay."

"Bye."

"See you tonight."

"Big plans tonight?" Cordy asked, suddenly right next to her.

She tucked some hair behind her ears, "uh, just Angel coming over."

"Oh? I thought you had a strict rule about male company at night. Unless of course it's Spike."

"Mind your own business Cordy," Buffy told her. "I'm going home now. If you'll excuse me."

"Have fun!" Cordy called after her. When Buffy was out the door, Cordy rushed to see Spike. Bursting through the door, she found him with his head on the desk.

"Feeling sorry for yourself?" She asked.

"Shut up Cordy."

"Well get used to it! And the chaps!"

Spike looked up then, "what the hell are you blathering on about?"

"Buffy is planning on having sex with AngeNIGHNIGHT! You didn't tell her did you?"

Spike paled, "she's WHAT? How do you know?"

"She called him. Asked him to come over tonight at NINE and to bring WINE."

"She has a rule about that. Well, unless it's me."

"Thank you from the department of the obvious!"

Spike jumped up, "I need to talk to her. Send her in?"

"She left Einstein. Her shift is over."

"Can you just--?"

"GO already!"

"Yes, drill sergeant, sir!" And he ran out the door.