*A.N: I must thank all of the fans for their love of my writing. You guys are awesome, especially Dee for her multiple reviews…that was comedy. I hope you enjoy this chapter…it shows the softer side of friendship. Please review and you’ll have chapter four tomorrow night.*

Chapter Three: Living Conditions

Buffy sat silently on the couch, her eyes trained on the television, a bowl of popcorn in her lap. She didn’t understand what was happening on the show she was watching, but it brought back memories of nights with Willow and Xander.

“What you watching, pet?” Spike questioned, coming in from work. The two had been living together for three weeks, and all was well.

“Indian TV…not really understanding what’s going one, but I think that girl is in love with her cow, and they want to eat it for dinner.” Buffy explained, her eyes still on the television.

Spike removed his black duster, hanging it in the closet. He than made his way to the living room, kicking off his combat boots, before taking a seat beside the blonde. “I think her parents want to sell the cow to a wealthy family in town, in exchange for their sons vow to marry the girl.” Spike said, studying the show.

“That would make more sense, but what’s with everyone dancing like chickens?” Buffy asked.

“It’s the dance of freedom.” He replied.

“Watch much Indian TV?” She looked over at him with a small smile.

“I browse my options, luv.” He said. “What about you?”

“I used to…with my best friends. I miss them.” Buffy said wistfully.

“Why haven’t you invited them to visit?” Spike looked over her expression.

“They weren’t thrilled with the fact that I married Angel in the first place…and if I go back with this drama…it’ll be an ‘I told you so.’ I really can’t take that right now.” Buffy stood, and stretched, before heading into the kitchen for a soda.

Spike followed her. “If they’re such great friends, they’d forgive and forget.”

Buffy just shrugged. “How was work?” She changed the subject.

“Same as always.” He replied.

“Another crappy band?” She asked.

“Another crappy band.” He stated.

“You know, if you need a band that hasn’t hit big yet, I have the CD to a band that my best friend’s boyfriend is in. They’re not on the map yet…One Starbucks town, and only one place to play.” She smiled, wishing that she could be at The Bronze, the hottest club in Sunnydale that everyone went to. That might have been because it was the only club in Sunnydale, but she still wanted to be there.

“I’d like that.” Spike said with a smile.

Buffy led him into her bedroom, turning the light on. She went over to her dresser, where her small radio sat. She flicked the switch and pressed play. “This song is called, Pain.”

“And the band?” He asked.

“Dingoes Ate My Baby.”

Spike bobbed his head with interest. “Can I borrow this?” He asked.

“Sure, but make sure you give it back, I have to hear it at least once a day or I get cranky. Brings me back home.”

“Speaking of home, I was thinking that maybe you should try to find something interesting to do while you have the chance…you know, like a job…” Spike suggested.

“Are you calling my lazy?” Buffy questioned.

“If the shoe fits, luv.”

“I’m not lazy, just biding my time. I have stuff…really important stuff that I do when I’m here alone.” She said.

“How was Maury this morning?”

“Oh my God, this lady tested seven men…SEVEN, and none of them were her baby’s daddy. Than she tried saying that the test is wrong…” She checked herself. “Point taken.”

*

“Snow…it’s really snow.” Buffy opened her mouth wide and looked to the sky, sticking her tongue out. There were four days left till Christmas, and she was ecstatic.

“Yes, luv, snow. Haven’t you ever seen snow?” Spike asked, walking beside her.

“Hello…I’m from California…we don’t have snow there.” Buffy explained.

“I can’t believe you bloody talked me into this.” He muttered.

“How could you not like Christmas? We can make yams, and potatoes…roast chicken.” She suggested, as they walked to the lot that held Christmas trees.

Spike’s mouth watered at the thought. “We?”

“Or I could just order from the restaurant down the street from the apartment.” Her eyes were as big as a child’s, as they looked for the perfect tree.

“How about this one?” He questioned, picking up one that went to his knee.

“Do you have any idea how many decorations I bought? Little Santa, and snowmen, glittery balls and angels.” The excitement was spectacular.

Spike couldn’t help but enjoy her carefree spirit, her enthusiasm. “What about this one?” They came to a tree, a foot taller than Spike’s 5 feet 10. It was full around the body and smelled like Christmas.

Buffy walked around it, and smiled in approval. “It’s perfect!” She exclaimed. She stood to the side, and waited as Spike bargained for the tree.

“Fifty-five dollars.” The lot owner suggested.

“Fifty-five? Are you bloody off your rocker? How about forty?” Spike winked at Buffy, and the older man shook his head, negative. “It’s her first New York Christmas, Sir, seeing how she’s a California girl. We can’t go over forty, and I really want to make this Christmas special for her.”

The owner looked over Buffy, and she gave him her best smile. He sighed loudly. “I know what it’s like to want to give your girl the best. My wife, Betsey, always has me buy the best tree…I’ll give it to you for thirty-five because she’s cute.” He said, gesturing toward Buffy.

“Oh she’s not-she’s just…” Spike couldn’t find the words, but Buffy came up beside him, happily.

“So thankful…I’m thankful. I knew you’d do your best to get me the greatest, honey.” She stood on her tiptoes, in order to kiss Spike’s cheek, a blush creeping up his face, sarcasm dripping from her voice.

*

Spike watched from the couch, as Buffy carefully decorated the tree. Christmas carols were playing, and the hot chocolate was cooling.

“That has to be the most Christmas card Christmas I’ve ever had.” Spike said, rolling his eyes, secretly enjoying the whole this.

“What was Christmas like for you?” She asked curiously, hanging up a small ornament of Santa sleeping in a rocking chair.

Spike thought about it for a minute. He couldn’t really remember ever celebrating holidays, except Halloween. His ex-girlfriend was insane…never wanted to do much but shoot up or blood play. There was so much, too much that Buffy didn’t know. “Boring…like I said, Mum and I traveled and when I settled here, I wasn’t really into the holidays.”

Buffy took a seat beside him, curiosity eating at her. She wanted to know more about him. “What was life like before you came here? We always talk about me…but what about you?”

He looked into her eyes, a sad smile reaching his features. “I wasn’t a good person, Buffy. Not until my ex-girlfriend overdosed.”

Her breath went in. “I’m so sorry, Spike…I shouldn’t have pried.” She apologized.

“You had a right to be curious…we’re roommates. Besides, it was two years ago, and I was in rehab until about a month ago. The job at Rolling Stone helped me moved from a motel, to here.” He explained.

“Does it still hurt?” She asked, noticing the old tracks in his arm, and reaching out to gently touch it.

“Just emotionally,” he replied, looking into her eyes. “Drusilla wasn’t good for me…she never will be. I noticed that when she passed. It was freedom.”

Buffy gave him a small smile of encouragement. “That happens sometimes…you can love someone so much, but be ten times happier without them.” Her tone was a bit depressing.

“We still have each other, pet.” He said, standing and going to the box of decorations. He pulled out a penguin sitting on a sled and smiled.

Buffy stood beside him, resting her head on his shoulder. “Best friends?”

“Best friends,” he agreed resting his head on hers as he hung the penguin up.