*A.N: So we’re getting close to leaving New York behind, but not without some action. Stay tuned and you’ll be in a pool of Spuffiness within a few chapters…maybe in Sunnydale, maybe New York, but be patient and review. If you review it, it shall come.*

Chapter Seven: Pangs

Christmas was just like any other night. The blonde duo sat in front of the television, watching Indian TV, and eating a meal from the only Chinese restaurant they could find that was open. It turned out that the eatery down the block wasn’t open on Christmas.

“I’d have to say, this is the best Christmas I’ve ever had.” Buffy said with a smile, looking up at Spike from her red beanbag chair on the living room floor.

Spike grinned in return, from his seat on the sofa. “I’ll second that, pet. What was Christmas like in Sunnydale?”

Buffy thought for a second, feeling as though she hadn’t been home in years. “Mom, Giles, and I would decorate the tree the day before, and have a big dinner. We’d put the air conditioning on high for a little while, so it could feel a bit wintry, and eat Mom’s meatloaf, which is always a little dry and weird. Than we’d stay up until twelve, and open gifts.”

“Giles’ your brother?” He questioned.

“My stepfather…he’s English…you’d like him.” She said.

“If you miss them so much, why don’t you call?”

She thought for a minute, unsure of her answer. But it came to her within time. “Because they were right, because I left them to start my own life, and I failed.” Tears formed in her eyes.

Spike moved to sit beside her in the beanbag. “What do you call this, luv? Aren’t you happy?” He put his arm around her, and looked into her eyes.

She gazed back, getting lost in the vastness of blue. “Sometimes…I think I am.” She whispered, as he inched closer to her.

“I think I can change that answer.” His lips came to hers slowly. It was a risk he didn’t hesitate to take. He was glad he didn’t, because after reaching up with his hand, and wiping away a stray tear with his thumb, their lips met in ecstasy.

Tenderly, he sucked her bottom lip, nipping at it gently. There was slight hesitance at first, but Buffy couldn’t deny how right it felt, and gave in, allowing his probing tongue to take a dive into sweetness.

“This can be your life.” He whispered against her lips, and her eyes widened.

She jumped up from her seat, and pointed a finger at him. “You’re taking advantage of my vulnerability and invading my personal bubble. I don’t need sex right now…I need a friend.”

“Are you saying that if I was to touch you, luv…show you what it’s like to be with a real man, that you’d still reject me?” He asked.

“I’m attracted to you, Spike…but I’m still married, and even though it’s idiotic, I still love Angel. I’m not willing to work things out, but I won’t play kissing games with you, while he’s out there, trying to get me back. When he signs those papers, and I feel like I’m ready to move on…you’re the only person I can imagine doing that with.” The words were out of her mouth before she had the chance to stop herself. With a deep sigh, she put a hand through her hair. “I-I’m sorry…I’m going to go to bed. Merry Christmas, Spike.”

He watched as she walked off, ignoring the tightness in his pants. “Merry Christmas, Buffy.”

*

Flashback
She wore a low cut red dress, which clung to every curve. The slit going up her right leg showed off a trail of tan, and glow. She smiled at the passing guests, and put a hand through her blonde curls.

“Buffy, I want to introduce you to an associate of mine. Angel Rayne, this is my daughter Buffy Summers.” With those simple words out of Hanks mouth, Buffy was sent into a tailspin, her stomach fluttering and her knees going weak.

Angel stood before her, in all of his masculine and brooding glory, looking smug at her reaction. “Nice to meet you, Buffy. I see you have your mother’s looks.” This earned him an eye-roll from the petite blonde.

“I didn’t mean to offend you.” Angel apologized.

“There are ways you can make it up to me…” Buffy said with a sly smile, after her father had made his way away from the duo, to mingle with clients.

“And how can I do that?” He asked.

“Do you like coffee?”
End Flashback

*

She awoke in the middle of the night, the memories she longed to forget, rushing into her dreams. It wasn’t long before she was dialing that familiar number, that she had gotten accustomed to dialing at that time of night.

“Buffy?” Angel questioned, the moment her name showed on the caller ID.

“Hey…” She said, at a loss for any other words to say to him.

“Is everything okay?” He began worrying.

“Yeah, everything’s fine…I just had a dream…” She replied.

“And you called me?” He was shocked.

“It was about you…it was the first time we met all over again.” She bundled under her quilt deeper.

“I miss you, Buff.”

“I miss you, too, sometimes. It doesn’t mean that I want to be with you. It just means that I’m going to be civil with you. We need to get through this, and not allow any bitterness. I love you, Angel…a part of me always will, but you fucked up. I hate throwing it in your face.” She felt tears burn her cheeks.

“I deserve it, I deserve worse. You were so good to me.” His tears were obvious.

“Just promise me you’ll sign the papers…I want to go back home. I miss my family.” She whispered.

He sighed loudly. “I understand, Buffy…just promise me you won’t be afraid to come to me if you need anything.”

“I promise.” She vowed.