Summer of 1770

It was mid-afternoon and the grass was starting to tickle her skin as she gazed up at the sky. The sky was so bright; it let you know it was a summer day.

She was lying down on the hill behind her house, the one where she and William would sit on when they were children and discuss the silliest things. Wiggling her bare toes, she thought of that summer, the summer that her sister Dawn was born. It was when they met the Rayne family for the first time. She could still remember the anger she felt at William when he made fun of her and the pain of seeing him hurt. She remembered the glee of seeing her mother hold her new baby sister in her arms. Life had seemed to begin for her that summer and Elizabeth couldn’t help but think what this summer had in store for her.

It had been five years since she had seen William and Xander. Every once and awhile Mr. Rayne would stop by for the day to discuss business with her father and would sometimes bring his wife, but that was it. Elizabeth had asked her father many times when they would be able to see them all again but he told her they were just all too busy.

This summer was different though. They would be able to see each other again. Rupert had told her that they would be bringing Xander with them and how he was hoping to see Willow but unfortunately she wouldn’t be staying with the Summers this summer. Instead they were graced with someone else’s presence this holiday.

"Your mother wants you inside."

Elizabeth sat up on her elbows and looked over her shoulder at her cousin Anya. Ever since she came out of the womb, Anya had cursed all boys and had been trying to teach Elizabeth her boy hating ways by telling her that they were the devil.

Her hands were held firmly on her waist as she looked down at her cousin, who had yet to remove herself from the ground. Anya thought it was quite silly for a girl 13 years of age to choose to be outside in the grass rather than inside having tea and talking about the latest gossip. Anya hoped she wasn’t going to be this way with their guests, who were arriving shortly from the city.

"Why?" Elizabeth asked watching as the wind blew her cousin’s long golden-brown hair, whipping it across her face.

"She wants you to be ready for our guests and for the party tonight." Anya told her with a firm nod.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at Anya before sitting herself back on her feet. "Fine." She grumbled as she wiped away the slight dirt that had collected on her dress.

"What is that thing in your hair?" Anya pointed at the mess of flowers that sat on top of her cousin’s golden head. "Looks like a mess."

"They are not a mess." She huffed, picking out the flowers that were tangled in her curled golden strands and then gave her head a hard shake to make sure all of them were out. "It was crown made out of flowers but I fell asleep in the grass and it must have gotten messed up."

Anya shook her head at her cousin. "I do not understand why you like to sit out here. Kind of seems quite dull if you ask me."

"It’s not dull." Elizabeth spoke with a slight pout on her lips. "It is peaceful and serene. I love it."

"You are quite strange cousin." Anya giggled at her as they approached the house.

As the pair made it inside, Elizabeth could hear the gleeful chatter of her mother as she and some of her friends from mansions nearby sat in the den. There was the slight clank of the china being taken away from the room by Fiona and into the kitchen. Elizabeth didn’t quite understand why her mother was so taken with gossiping with her friends. There wasn’t much excitement in it and they rarely talked about anything of importance.

"I found her." Anya announced to Joyce as they approached the den. All of the women’s gazes focused on Elizabeth and ran their judgmental eyes all of over, cringing at the soiled appearance of her dress and the haphazard state of her hair. Elizabeth did not really like them and didn’t understand why her mother put herself in their company; she was so different from them.

Joyce shook her head and walked over her daughter and held her by the shoulders at arm length while taking in her appearance. "You have completely ruined your new dress Elizabeth." She gave her daughter a gentle smile before brushing a curled strand behind Elizabeth’s ear. "And Fiona will have to do your hair again. Honestly honey, you need to stop playing around in the dirt. You are a young lady now and soon a bunch of young men will be wanting court you and we don’t want to ruin your chances of that now do we?"

The blonde girl ducked her head and gave her mother a quick shake of the head. "No mother." She whispered softly, not meeting Joyce’s gaze. "I will go change."

"Good." Joyce planted a soft kiss on her daughter’s head before turning to Fiona who stood impassively at the side. "Fiona, will you help her with her hair before the Rayne’s arrive?"

"Yes, Mrs. Summers." She replied with a curtsey before taking Elizabeth by the hand and led her up the stairs to her bedroom while Anya followed slowly behind them. Joyce watched them until they disappeared before turning back to her group of friends.

Mrs. Abrahams watched the Summers girl with a smirk before looking over at Joyce. "You know Joyce, your girl is quite fetching…you should consider setting her up with my Parker. They would make a lovely couple and would have beautiful children together."

Joyce gave a small smile to Mrs. Abrahams. "I will think about it." She sighed before picking up her cup from her saucer and took a small sip. "I suppose I should start thinking about suitors for her. She is going to be 14 this winter. That is the right time, correct?"

Mrs. Jenkins, known to Joyce as her sister-in-law and Anya’s mother, gave her a reassuring nod. "My father started looking for me when I was around her age. It did not take him long to find Jack for me." She said with a slight giggle in her voice. "I think it is harder nowadays to find a suitor. You know, what with all the rude behavior boys show."

"I agree." Mrs. Abrahams smiled, sipping at her tea before placing it back down on her saucer. "That is why I am sending my Parker to a school for boys that will teach him the proper ways of society. My husband doesn’t have the patience for it, with his business thriving and all."

"I am sure you will find a good enough suitor for her Joyce." Her sister in law reassured her. "She is a bright girl and I am sure any man will do her fine."


"I do not like this." Elizabeth huffed, crossing her arms over her chest. Her foul mood coming off of her in waves and it did not help that Dawn was in her room, going through her things. "Dawn! Leave my belongings alone!" The small brunette girl jumped away from the closet and then scurried over to her older sister who was waiting for Fiona to pick her out a new dress.

"Is William coming?" She asked with a bright smile on her face. Ever since Dawn had last seen him, he was all she would talk about most of the time. And Elizabeth knew that once he arrived that she would be following him everywhere.

"I have told you millions of times…yes, he is coming." Elizabeth snapped, shooting a glare at her sister. Dawn’s eyes slightly welled up with tears before running out of the room.

"How about this?" Fiona brought out a hunter green gown and held it in front of her body. "I think it will bring out your eyes. You will look delightful."

"Do I have to wear one of those corset things that mother wears? I watched you put one on her once and it looked painful." Elizabeth looked up at her nanny with eyes of worry but Fiona only chuckled at her.

"Don’t worry dear. You won’t have to worry about those until you are a little bit older." Fiona comforted her as she removed the white dress she was wearing and pulled the new one over her head. "There you go." Said Fiona with a bright smile on her face and then took the girl by the shoulders and led her towards her vanity. "Now it’s time to get that hair of yours fixed."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes as her nanny began to run her silver brush through her hair, every once and awhile it would get caught on knots in her hair. She flinched every time the bristles got stuck and Fiona would pull so hard that Elizabeth sure that the nanny was going to yank her hair out of her head.

"You’re pulling too hard." The girl huffed, as her head jerked over and over thanks to Fiona’s brushing. "It hurts."

"You’re all right." Fiona replied with another yank on Elizabeth’s hair. "S’what you get for layin’ out there dirtyin’ yourself up. At your age, you shouldn’t be doin’ that."

"Yes, Fiona." The girl grumbled as Fiona began to pin up her hair loosely; she was too concentrated in her task to respond to the blonde. When Elizabeth felt Fiona lightly run her hands down the girl’s golden mane she knew that she was through.

"I am going to help start supper before our guests arrive…make sure you don’t dirty yourself up before they get here." Fiona told her curtly before exiting the room with a swish of her black dress.

As soon as her nanny was out of sight, Elizabeth began to tug at her dress, trying to find a way for make it feel less constricting. It wasn’t working though, no matter how hard she tugged or wiggled it wouldn’t help.

"It’s not that bad." Anya announced from the doorway, watching with a smirk on her face as Elizabeth sat on the settee looking glumly at her image in the mirror.

"I hate it." Elizabeth murmured, her eyes flashing with annoyance. "It’s uncomfortable."

Anya completely ignored her cousin’s statement as she sat down beside her. "So, these boys…what are they like?"

"I thought you hated boys." Elizabeth’s eyebrows furrowed at her cousin who was looking at herself intensely into the mirror.

"Oh, I do." Anya said a matter-of-factly with a firm nod of the head. "I just think that I should know who I will be spending my time with for the rest of the summer holiday."

Elizabeth scrunched her nose up at her cousin. She was quite strange. Also, she was so much different than Willow. She carried herself differently than her redheaded cousin. The young blonde wondered if most high society girls acted the same way as Anya. Anya walked with so much admiration and pride for herself that it came off of her in strong waves. Her head was always held high. She never ran or laughed or screamed or just let herself be free. She just always stood there with her hands clasped in front of her, watching others with a look annoyance on her face. Elizabeth thought it was sad.

Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. "They are just…boys. Nothing too extraordinary."

"My mother tells me something different." Anya said, jutting out her chin at Elizabeth. "She told me how that William Rayne is no more than trash. She told me how he terrorizes his father and mother. She told me that Mr. Rayne should be ashamed of himself for letting that kind of behavior go on in his household and that he should disown the ruffian." Elizabeth’s mouth gaped openly as her cousin continued. "And do not even let me tell you what she said about Alexander Harris…"

"Then don’t." Elizabeth snapped as she rushed out of the room and down the hall. She was going so fast that she ran hard into Fiona, almost sending her sprawling onto the ground. "I am so sorry Fiona! Please forgive me!" Elizabeth gasped as she clutched onto her nanny’s shoulders, steadying her.

"S’all right, dear." Fiona smiled warmly at her, cupping her cheek with adoration. "The Rayne family is here. Time to come down stairs and say hello to your guests."

Elizabeth felt a heavy weight in her stomach. They were here. It had been so long. She was nervous and she didn’t know why.

That was lie, she did.

The last time she had saw him; he was a little boy surrounded by warm blankets with a hot rag laid across his forehead. He had looked so pale the day they left. Elizabeth wondered what five years had done to him. Would he be mean? Would he make fun of her like he did when they were younger? Would he smile at her like he use to when they were alone together?

She nervously gripped the cross that dangled from the neck. She closed her eyes and began to mumble comforting words underneath her breath.

"Come now Elizabeth, time to greet the guests." Fiona called out to her as she strode down the hall with her cousin Anya by her side. Elizabeth rolled her eyes at them both and darted down the hall after them and eagerly bounced down the stairs.

Everyone was gathered in the foyer in front of the door, hugging and kissing and laughing with glee. The group was a blur of arms, dresses, and hats. Anya stood to the side watching the people with confusion and a bit of impatience.

"Elizabeth!" Mr. Summers parted from the group and took her hand. And with a quickness that she had never seen in him before, he brought her towards the hugging group.

Jenny was the first one to greet her. Jenny looked so much older from the last time Elizabeth saw her. Wrinkles now marred her face and dark bags had settled underneath her eyes. There was sadness there and yet the woman had a bright smile on her face. "Elizabeth my dear. Look how lovely you have become. Such a beautiful young woman." Jenny looked over a smiling Joyce. "You’ve done well Joyce."

"Thank you." Elizabeth’s eyebrows furrowed as she looked around for the tall, looming man that was Ethan Rayne. "Where is your husband, Mrs. Rayne?"

Jenny’s eyes flashed with sadness briefly at the mention of her husband. "He’s busy with work in the city I’m afraid. He said he would join us in a couple of days." The woman’s eyes slipped back into the joyful color they were before and looked behind her shoulder. "William! Xander! Don’t be shy now! Come see Elizabeth!"

Jenny tugged the two boys in front of her with such force that it made Elizabeth giggle. Xander still looked the same as he did five years ago. He was only slightly taller and his shoulder more broad than they use to be. His face though, still held that boyish appearance that Elizabeth liked so much. Brown eyes danced with happiness as he hugged her tightly, telling her how much he has missed her and how he was sorry for not writing her. His attention, however, was easily torn away from the blonde girl and towards her cousin who still stood away from the crowd with a frown on her face.

"Who’s that?" He asked with a tone of awe in his voice as he openly stared at her.

"That is my cousin Anya. She lives in New York and came to visit me for the summer." Elizabeth smirked at her friend who extracted himself from her embrace and made his way towards the other girl.

"He fancies her."

Elizabeth’s head whipped around at the sound of his voice. He also had a smirk on his face while his head was tilted to the side. Her eyes widened as she took him in. He was so much taller than she remembered. His eyes bluer and his skin paler. He had lost most of the baby fat around his face and prominent, sharp cheekbones were starting to poke through and the rest of his body looked incredibly thin. His dark hair was brushed back away from his face so you could see his face perfectly. Elizabeth’s heartbeat began to quicken and her stomach suddenly felt lighter.

"R-really?"

He chuckled and clasped his hands behind his back. "Yes. Although, he fancies every girl he sees or meets."

"Oh." Elizabeth’s hands began to twitch. "It ‘tis nice to see you again, William." She whispered underneath her breath while looking at him shyly.

She was taken aback when he brought her into his arms and embraced her tightly. "I’ve missed you, ‘Lisabeth." She could hear the tearful tone in his voice and hugged him back just as eagerly, clutching onto him for dear life.

"I’ve missed you too, William." She murmured, her fingers digging into his projecting shoulder blades. "I’ve missed you too."

To be continued…