Chapter 14 – Setting it Straight


Buffy looked at him, tilting her head and raising an eyebrow before slightly smiling. “Ha ha, very funny,” she said. “Thanks for trying to make me feel better about this, but-”

“Buffy, listen to me,” Spike said, putting his hands on her shoulders and locking eyes with hers. “I’m not gay.” Her smile fell, and she took a step back from him, her eyes never leaving his.

“What?” she asked, her tone suddenly becoming both serious and confused. “What do you mean you’re not gay?”

Spike looked down, ashamed. She stood straighter, her eyes widening. “But that woman said…you said…the poetry, the shopping- oh god, the shopping! You were in the dressing room! And Victoria’s Secret…oh my god!”

She covered her face in her hands, finally letting tears fall. Spike moved closer to her to try to hug her, but she pushed him back, her eyes filled with fire. “Don’t you dare touch me! How could you? You lied to me, Spike! Why would you lie to me?” He watched tears roll down her cheeks and felt horrible.

‘Yeah, mate, why did you keep up the charade?’ he asked himself, running a hand through his hair.

“You were so comfortable with me when you thought I was gay,” he said sadly. “I liked the way we were together, and I…I couldn’t bring myself to tell you.” He paused. “And now I really wish I would’ve.”

“Get out,” she said sharply, crossing her arms. He looked at her, stunned. “Get out!” He pulled on his shirt and slid on his boots before leaving quickly, going down the hall and knocking on a familiar door.

“Spike?” Andrew asked, shocked. Spike looked at him, and Andrew could tell something was wrong. He let him in and shut the door behind him. “What happened?”

“I buggered up everything,” Spike muttered, sitting down on the couch and burying his face in his hands.

* * * * *

Buffy lay down on her bed, sobbing into her pillow.

‘How could he lie to me?’ she asked herself. ‘Why would he do that? I trusted him. Completely. I can’t believe Spike would do something like that. This isn’t real. This isn’t happening.’ She pinched herself.

“Oww!” she said, looking at the red spot forming on her arm. “It is real. He lied to me, and this is all real.” She heard a knock on the door and hesitated before getting up.

‘If it’s him, I’ll kick his ass,’ she thought, heading down the stairs and opening the door, surprised.
“Xander?” she asked, looking at him. He smiled at her and frowned when he noticed her red eyes and tear tracks down her cheeks.

“Buffy, is everything all right?” he asked quietly. She shook her head and broke down crying again. He hugged her, genuinely worried. “What happened?”

“Spike,” she said, backing away a little to wipe off her cheeks. “I’m so sorry- your shirt is all splotchy now.” Xander looked at it and shrugged, managing a smile.

“It’ll dry,” he said before turning his attention back to her. “What happened with Spike?”

“He lied to me,” she replied, looking at him. “And so did you, for that matter! You both said he was gay!” Xander felt guilt flood him.

‘So the bleached wonder finally told her the truth. Explains why he’s not around,’ he thought.

“Buffy, let me explain,” he said, ushering her to the couch to sit down while crouching in front of her. “Spike is a good man, and yeah, he may have pulled off an elaborate lie behind your back, but I know he cares about you. I don’t know why he didn’t tell you right away, but he adores you, and I know he never wanted to hurt you.” She looked at him, seeing how sincere he seemed.

“I don’t know where he is,” she said, looking down at her lap. “I told him to leave, and he did, and I don’t know where he went.” He sighed and pulled out his cell phone. “Xander?” He looked at her. “Why do you think he lied to me?”

“Because he likes you and didn’t have the balls to say it,” Xander said, smiling softly. She looked at him. “He’s liked you ever since he first saw you. From day one, it’s been Buffy this and Buffy that. At least you’re a good woman. Not like Drusilla was.” Her eyes widened.

“Drusilla?” she asked, her mind spinning. “Did Spike call her a nickname?”

“Yeah, Dru,” he replied, confused. “Why?” She looked down.

‘And that was your own fault, Summers,’ she thought. ‘Dru is a girl, not a guy. Damn it.’

“Can you call him?” she asked hesitantly. He nodded and dialed the number.

‘What do I even say to him?’ she thought, running her hands through her hair.

* * * * *

Spike’s cell phone rang in his pocket, and he pulled it out, looking at the Caller ID. “Sorry, Andrew, I’ve got to take this call.” Andrew waved it off as Spike answered it. “Hey, Xander. What’s up?”

“Where are you, man?” Xander asked. “Buffy told me you left.” Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Buffy? You talked to her?” he asked, standing up quickly. “Where are you, mate?”

“Answer me first,” Xander said, a hint of mischief in his tone.

“Not bloody funny,” Spike said sharply. “Did she call you? Why were you talking to Buffy?”

“Because I’m in your apartment with her,” Xander replied. Spike froze. “So, I repeat, where are you?”

"Down the hall," Spike answered, looking at Andrew, who smiled back at him. "I'll be right there." He hung up and headed to the door. "Sorry to cut this short."

"Go get the girl, Spike," Andrew said, watching Spike leave and go into his apartment. Andrew sighed dreamily and smiled as he shut the door.

* * * * *

Buffy jumped at the soft knock on the door, not because it scared her, but
because she knew who was on the other side of the door. Xander walked over
to answer it, giving his friend a compassionate look before turning to
Buffy.

“I’ll leave you two alone.”

Buffy didn’t say anything as she and Spike stared at each other, her small
arms wrapped around her body in a comforting gesture. Spike took a step
forward, but Buffy merely took a step back as he reached out to her.

“Buffy, I’m-“

“Why’d you let it go on so long?” she whispered.

“I don’t know,” he said softly. “Why didn’t you ever ask me?”

“Why didn’t I ask…”

Buffy trailed off in surprise as she looked at him.

“My God, Spike, when you tell me your ex is Dru, what am I supposed to
think? When you have your friend pose as your boyfriend- and don’t think we
won’t be talking about that one later,” she said, pointing at him. “I mean,
for crying out loud, you have a job where you dress up like one of the
Village People, and you think I needed more clarity? Maybe I should have
asked you, but you had plenty of opportunities to come clean.”

“I have,” Spike murmured. “And I never meant for things to go that far…at
least, not without you knowing the truth.”

Spike took a hesitant step forward as Buffy worried her lower lip, looking
at the floor.

“Buffy, I would never hurt you.”

“You already did,” she said softly, shaking her head as she battled fresh
tears. “How am I supposed to trust you again?”

Although the context of the question wasn’t in the best form, Spike couldn’t
help the small amount of relief at the idea that she might try and trust him
again. Maybe all wasn’t lost yet.

“Have you lied about anything else?” she asked softly. “Now would be the
time to tell me.”

Spike quickly shook his head. “That’s the only thing,” he said quietly as
he walked toward her. “The name’s William, I love having movie nights with
my roommate, I really do hate that ponce you were dating, Andrew’s really
not my type, I AM terrified of your driving, and I like writing poetry,” he
murmured, wrapping his arms around her waist. “About you.”

Buffy’s eyes snapped up to his at the confession. “Me?”

Spike nodded, a soft smile playing on his lips. “I’ve never felt this way
about anyone, Buffy. When I thought I’d lost you…have I lost you?” he asked
in a strained voice.

Buffy shook her head, attempting to clear it. “Can I have some time?” she
asked softly, looking into his eyes.

Spike felt fear rip through his chest but nodded, dropping his arms from
her waist as he walked to the door.

“Spike.”

Spike turned at the sound of his name.

“No matter what happens…I want you as my friend.”

Spike gave her a gentle smile. “I’ve wanted you from day one, Buffy. If
you’re willing to give me anything, that’s fine with me.”

Buffy watched as he walked out of the apartment. “I’ve wanted you, too,”
she whispered.