Chapter 15 – Bribery Will Get You…


Spike sat in his car, resting his head on the steering wheel, as he took deep breaths.

‘She’s giving me another chance. I owe her for that,’ he thought to himself, his mind reeling with thoughts. ‘I owe her for hurting her so bad.’ He sighed. ‘But how do I pay her back for the damage I’ve caused her already?’ He started the car and began driving aimlessly through town. ‘Well, I have a feeling flowers alone won’t do the trick…maybe chocolate?’

“No, you owe her big time, mate,” he said out loud. “But what should I give her?”

He came up with an idea and pulled his car over in front of the art gallery.

‘Well, I could buy her art, yes,’ he thought, not disliking the idea too much. ‘It is her major, after all.’ He frowned. ‘Is there a price minimum on forgiveness gifts after you’ve lied to a girl since you met her? Because I’m thinking everything in there is going to be expensive. Not that Buffy’s isn’t worth it, but I don’t have an extra grand sitting around.’ He pulled out his cell phone and called Xander’s apartment. His girlfriend Anya answered. ‘This’ll work.’

“Hey, Anya,” Spike said. “If Xander lied to you about something big, and he wanted to repay you, what would you want?”

“Lots of orgasms,” she answered bluntly. “What is he lying to me about?” Spike smiled slightly.

“He’s not lying to you,” Spike replied. “Thanks, luv.” He hung up the phone and looked around town.

‘Not that I’m against the orgasms idea, but I don’t think Buffy would jump for that right now,’ he thought. ‘Well, maybe.’ He smirked and quickly dismissed the thought. ‘Come on, Spike, what does she like? What would make her smile?’ He suddenly came up with the perfect gift and drove to the mall.

* * * * *

After taking a shower and eating something, Buffy decided to try to take her mind off of things by watching TV. She failed miserably, instantly being bombarded by thoughts.

‘I know he screwed up, but I don’t think he’s a bad man,’ she thought. ‘At least he didn’t cheat on me.’ She frowned. ‘Why am I always attracted to liars and cheaters? Do I have some sick obsession of being drawn to the ones who will hurt me?’ She ran her hands through her hair before resting her head on the back of the couch. ‘He seemed genuinely sorry. And he did agree to being my friend, so that’s good I guess. But how can we be just friends after what we’ve been through, what we’ve done together?’ She sighed. ‘And why did he leave? I could’ve still talked some of this stuff out.’ Her mind popped back to something he had said.

“The poetry,” she said quietly, her eyes widening. She jumped up and went to his room, laying on her stomach beside the bed and retrieving the notebooks he kept there. She sat on his bed again and decided to re-read them, thinking that she’d gain more of an understanding about how he really felt about her. Plus, knowing the words he had written were about her made her want to be reminded of them and how she felt reading them. She smiled, looking at the first poem she opened to. “He wrote about me.”

She had been reading for at least half an hour when she heard the door open. She got up and shoved the notebooks under the bed again, hoping he wouldn’t find out about her reading them this time.

“Spike?” she asked, walking out of his room, praying he wouldn’t see her exiting it.

‘I’ll just say I was in the bathroom,’ she thought. ‘Right, not looking at his private collection of poetry. But he said they were about me- what girl wouldn’t go snooping to look at something about her?’ She went down the hallway and saw Spike in the doorway and something in his arms with a ribbon on it.

“Oh my god,” she said quietly, her hand going up to cover her mouth in shock. “You bought me a puppy.” He grinned proudly at her and looked down at the chocolate Labrador with the red bow on it.

“Do you like it?” Spike asked hesitantly when he noticed the look in her eyes.

‘She hates it,’ he thought sadly. ‘She likes dogs, doesn’t she? Maybe she doesn’t like the idea of living with one. And I guess it’s kind of a commitment to raise one. It’s like a child. Our child.’ He withheld a smirk at the thought. ‘But I can’t return him. I’ve already grown fond of the little pup.’

“It’s…it’s darling,” she said, finally smiling and approaching him. He smiled and held it out to her. She took it from him and cradled it in her arms. “He’s so tiny and cute!”

‘She looks so happy. Maybe she’s not so against the idea of us raising a puppy together.’

“So you like it, luv? You won’t make me give it back?” Spike asked. She looked at him with wide eyes and shook her head vehemently.

“You’re not taking it away from me,” she replied, looking down at the dog and smiling again. “I love it.” She giggled. “We’ve got to name it! What should we name it?” She paused. “Is it a boy or a girl?”

“It’s a girl,” he replied, petting its head softly, smiling. “The only female chocolate lab puppy at the store, to be exact. I figured since you like chocolate, I’d get you one like this.” She smiled at him and looked at the puppy, noticing how happy it looked.

“Well, can’t name it Spike,” she grinned. Spike growled slightly at her, and she looked at him. “Would be kind of funny, though.”

“Are you implying that I’m a dog?” he asked, managing a smirk. She giggled and looked at the dog.

"If it's a girl, I'm not naming her Spike," she said, looking at the dog's
brown eyes. "Hmm, what should we name you, little one?" Then it came to her.
“What about Sunshine?”

“Sunshine,” Spike repeated, looking at the puppy. “It’s perfect, luv,” he
said with a smile. His smile slowly faded as he stared at Buffy, seeing how
happy she was. “Am I forgiven?” he asked hesitantly.

Buffy looked at the tiny puppy, dozing in her arms, before raising her eyes
to Spike. “I think we still need to talk,” she said softly. “But I’m not
mad anymore.”

Spike breathed a sigh of relief. “Talking is good,” he said with a nod.

* * * * *

A few minutes later, Buffy held the sleeping puppy on her lap as she gently
stroked its fur. “You do know this is bribery, right?” she asked as Spike
looked at her with an innocent expression.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, luv,” he said with wide eyes.

Buffy gave him a soft smile, her eyes continuously traveling back to the
puppy. “What comes next?” she asked quietly.

“I was thinking that would be up to you,” he replied, watching her
anxiously.

Buffy stayed quiet for a moment, avoiding his eyes. “I like you, Spike,”
she whispered, almost shyly. “I’ve liked you since I first met you, and when
I thought that you were…you turned into the best friend I’ve ever had.”

Spike watched her carefully, restraining himself from reaching out and
touching her- he didn’t want to scare her off. “I feel the same, pet,” he
said softly, watching as Buffy raised her eyes to his.

“Then I’ll ask you again,” Buffy said with a hopeful expression. “What
comes next?”

Spike slowly slid over to her, careful not to wake the puppy as he slipped
an arm around her shoulders. “What if I said…us?”

“Us?”

“I’m sorry I lied, Buffy,” he whispered, brushing a gentle kiss along her
forehead as Buffy shut her eyes, enjoying the feel of him so close. “Am I
forgiven?”

Buffy didn’t answer as she angled her head, meeting his lips in a gentle
kiss. Spike let his hands drift up to her hair, holding her head in place
as his tongue drifted along her lower lip, begging entrance. Buffy moaned
when her lips parted, letting his tongue meet hers in a soft caress.

This was their first kiss. It was the first one not filled with confusion.
Not based on something fake.

The passion of the kiss slowly faded as Spike pulled away. Buffy looked at
him with clouded eyes before nervously biting her lip.

“What wrong?” he asked softly, letting his hand trail along her cheek.

“What happens if this doesn’t work out?” she asked. “We could lose what we
have.”

“Not necessarily,” Spike argued gently before smiling. “We could be like
Ross and Rachel.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow at him. “It took them more than ten years to figure
out what they had.”

“I don’t need to figure out what I have,” he replied in a husky whisper as
Buffy blushed.

He leaned in for another soft kiss before carefully pulling her off the
couch, watching with a smile as Sunshine opened her sleepy eyes to give them
a look of indignation.

“I don’t know about you, but I’m exhausted,” he said softly. “Someone wore
me out last night,” he finished with a grin as Buffy blushed. Spike
carefully took the puppy from Buffy and placed her in a dog bed that he’d
carried in earlier. He had to smile when the dog curled up comfortably and
went back to sleep.

“Lazy little thing, isn’t she?” he asked with a smile as Buffy giggled.

“What if she gets up in the middle of the night?” Buffy asked.

“We can put her in my room,” he said softly as he walked her to the stairs.
“I’ll hear if she gets up,” he continued, letting his hand trail over her
arm.

“How will you hear her if you’re upstairs?”

Spike tilted his head, studying Buffy as she took his hand in her smaller
one and began leading him up the staircase. “Buffy,” he finally whispered
as they got to the top of the stairs. “You don’t have to-“

His words were cut off as Buffy’s lips fused with his. Spike’s arms
immediately wrapped around her waist, pulling her closer as their tongues
dueled together.

Buffy broke away after a moment, leaving them both gasping for air as she
bit her bottom lip. Spike watched with lust-filled eyes as she began
backing toward the bed, slowly stripping her clothes along the way.

Buffy gave him a coy smile as the last of her clothes fell from her body,
causing Spike’s breath to come in small gasps as she slowly sat down on the
edge of the bed. He watched as she slid along the comforter, propping
herself up as she looked at him. “Aren’t you coming?”

Spike slipped his shirt over his head with a smirk as he approached the bed,
shedding the rest of his clothes before crawling the length of her body.
“Not yet,” he murmured, causing a red flush to tint Buffy’s cheeks. Spike
chuckled, shaking his head as he looked at her.

“What?” Buffy asked, suddenly self-conscious.

Spike leaned down, leaving a gentle kiss on her lips before answering.
“Look at what we’re about to do, and you’re embarrassed about a little
innuendo.”

Buffy giggled softly, her smile fading as Spike settled in between her legs,
letting her hips cradle his.

“Are you sure about this, Buffy?” he asked, letting his hands run through
her hair, keeping her as relaxed as possible.

“I’m sure,” she said softly, kissing along his neck and shoulders, smiling
when his muscles quivered under her touch.

Spike took a deep breath, easing into her body with a moan as Buffy moved
with him. He slowly began to thrust in and out of her, repressing ever urge
to pound into her welcoming body, not wanting to hurt her.

Buffy pushed against him, craving more contact. They moved together for
several minutes, slowly picking up speed as Spike began plunging into her
with more abandon. Their slick bodies each seeking release as their lips
met in a hungry kiss.

Spike could feel his climax approaching as Buffy writhed beneath him,
seconds before her muscles began fluttering, squeezing him almost painfully
as she screamed out her release.

Buffy’s scream of pleasure sent Spike over the edge as he thrust into her.
“Buffy!”

Both gasped for breath as Buffy let her hands trail along Spike’s back
before he slowly rose above her, looking into her emerald eyes.

“I never thought I’d have this,” he whispered, brushing the hair out of her
eyes.

Buffy felt her body tremble at the intensity of his gaze. “Me either,” she
whispered seconds before his lips met hers.

Spike slowly rolled, pulling Buffy with him as he left her comforting body.
“I don’t know about you, pet, but I’m exhausted.”

“Me too,” she murmured before a smile spread across her face. “Now…about
you ‘dating’ Xander…”

“Bloody hell,” Spike groaned, throwing his head back on the pillows as Buffy
giggled.



A/N We know a lot of people wanted angst, but this was meant to be a lighter story with very little drama. Only one more chapter to go, so please review!