Chapter 16 – When You Love Someone


A month had passed since Spike confessed, and Buffy was happy that their relationship hadn’t diminished. If anything, it had grown stronger, especially due to the fact that they were a couple now instead of just being friends.

They went to the mall to shop one afternoon, entrusting Andrew with Sunshine. Buffy had flashbacks of the times they’d been there in the past, when she was clueless as to the fact he was really straight.

‘You think I would’ve noticed something was up,’ she thought, thinking about when they had been in Victoria’s Secret, grinning. ‘Well, figuratively speaking, at least.’ She giggled to herself as Spike looked at her.

“What’s so funny, luv?” he asked curiously, smiling at her while wrapping his arm around her waist.

“I just can’t believe I didn’t figure your little lie out sooner,” she shrugged. “I mean, I know I was in denial about stuff, but really, how could you be gay? The poetry is a little questionable still, and I wasn’t kidding that day about dressing like a member of the Village People-“

“Hey!” Spike interrupted indignantly.

“BUT,” Buffy continued, bringing his attention back to her. “You’re not like any of the gay guys I’ve ever known.”

“Not every gay guy is like Andrew,” Spike chuckled, lightly kissing her temple as she laughed.

“I thought you two were buddies?” she asked, smirking. Spike looked down at her and smirked, too.

“A person can only handle so much nerdy stuff,” he replied. She shot him a look playfully.

“Andrew isn’t a nerd,” she said, trying not to smile. “He’s a passionate hobbyist.” Spike laughed again.

“Right, I can agree to that,” he said before leaning down and kissing her. “Now, let’s have another trip back to Victoria’s Secret,” he said, biting his lips and raising an eyebrow at her as she giggled.

“Going to pick things out for me?” she asked suggestively. He groaned and kissed her again before grabbing her hand and pulling her along behind him to the store.

* * * * *

The couple returned to their apartment hours later, bags from various stores filling their hands. Sunshine came bounding towards them before jumping on Buffy’s leg, her tail wagging excitedly.

“Well, hello, cutie,” she grinned, picking the dog up in her arms. She noticed a pout on Spike’s lips. “What?”

“You called her my nickname,” he answered. Buffy kissed him softly. “I suppose I’ll forgive you.”

“Thanks ever so,” she laughed, petting the dog’s head. She noticed Andrew sitting on the couch, paging through a magazine. “How’s it going, Andrew?” He closed the magazine and stood up.

“Pretty well,” he replied. “How was shopping?” He looked at all of the bags. “Productive?”

“You betcha,” Buffy giggled, putting down Sunshine. “Thanks for watching her for us.”

“Not a problem,” Andrew shrugged, heading for the door. “I like dogs. She seems like a kindred spirit.” Both Buffy and Spike exchanged a look as Andrew opened the door. “Well, I better go,” he continued. “I have a date.”

“Really? With who?” Buffy asked.

“Oh, a guy I met at the grocery store. His name is Jonathon Levinson and he seems really nice. I’ll see you around,” he said with a wave as he left, and the couple instantly smiled at each other.

“’Kindred spirit’?” Spike asked, looking at her. “Maybe he’s found his own.” Buffy nodded.

“And I was thinking about introducing him to that Lorne guy who owns the club down the street,” Spike said with a smile as Buffy laughed.

“He can always be a back-up,” she said before a wicked smile flashed on her features. “Unless you want to fill in that role…since you’re so close, after all.”

“Will you stop it?” he asked, grinning, coming closer to her and tickling her. She shrieked loudly, breaking down into hysterics before she managed to fight back, getting him to laugh, too. “Fine. Truce?”

“Yeah,” she agreed, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him. “You’re forgiven.”

* * * * *

Buffy and Spike decided to take Sunshine to the beach after dinner, right around sunset. The beach was practically deserted, so they unleashed her, letting her run through the shallow surf and follow them as they walked down the beach, hand-in-hand. The dog never strayed far from Buffy, anyway.

Buffy looked at him, seeing how the sun’s dying rays cascaded over his features, making him look even more gorgeous than normal. She smiled brightly and squeezed his hand.

“Spike?” she asked quietly. He looked at her, slightly concerned. “I love you.” He instantly stopped walking, an eyebrow raised. She smiled and put her hands on his hips, looking up at him. “I’ve loved you for a long time. As a friend originally, but I always secretly wanted it to be something more. And now that it is…I just wanted to tell you. I’m in love with you.” He paused before grinning and picking her up, swinging her around in a circle. “Spike!” He put her back down and kissed her as passionately as he could, cupping her face in his hands. When they finally broke apart to breathe, they locked eyes and rested their foreheads together.

“I love you, too,” he whispered, running his hand over her hair and kissing her softly this time. “I love you so bloody much, Buffy. You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to say that to you.”

“Since we met, right?” she joked, giggling. He laughed, too, and held her close to him in a hug.

“Something like that, yeah,” he replied. “I just didn’t think that you loved me back, yet.”

“You knew I’d love you?” she asked, looking at him and smiling. He returned the smile.

“I wished it,” he said, looking into her eyes. Sunshine suddenly nuzzled her nose into Buffy’s leg. She promptly bent down and picked her up, petting her. “She looks sleepy.”

“Should we take her home and get her to bed?” Buffy asked, looking at him.

“Sure,” he smiled, wiggling his eyebrows. “I’ll take both of my girls home and get them to bed.”

“You’re evil,” Buffy giggled, kissing him and taking his hand in hers again. “I better be the only girl in our bed.”

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Spike replied, leading them back towards the car.





A/N Thank you to everyone for all of the awesome reviews! If you liked this story (and I'm assuming you did if you read it to the end) Allison and I now have a joint account under the name Goldilocks. We are still co-writing stories together, so please keep an eye out for any future collaborations on that account. Thanks again- we appreciate it so much!

~Ashlee