Chapter 2 – Moving Day


Buffy figured she should probably get an idea of who Spike was, apart from what the woman he was with had told her before in the bathroom.

‘So what if he’s gay? They usually tend to be incredibly sweet. And maybe there will even be perks to it. We can go out shopping together, he can help me judge other guys- this might be fun after all,’ she thought before frowning. ‘Is he going to bring back other guys to the apartment? Uh oh.’

“So, luv, what’s your story?” Spike asked, looking at her, trying not to stare too much at the beauty that radiated off of her in waves.

‘I get to live with this woman. There really must be a God.’

“Well, I’m 21 and a student at the college here in Sunnydale,” she began to explain. “I used to room with my boyfriend, but he and I broke up not too long ago, hence I was in need of a roommate.” She looked at him, smiling. “And that’s where you come in.” Spike couldn’t help but smile back at her, silently making a note to thank her ex-boyfriend, if he ever met him, for letting him live with her instead.

“But other than that, there’s not too much to my past,” she shrugged. “I grew up in Los Angeles and moved here for college three years ago. It’s a much nicer place here, I think. I miss home sometimes, but Sunnydale has been good to me.”

‘It’s been good to me, too, since I met you,’ he thought, somewhat surprised at how attracted he was to her, after such a short period of time.

“What about you, Spike?” she asked curiously. “What’s a guy like you doing in this small town?”

“Well, I got offered a job on a construction crew a couple of weeks ago and decided to go for it,” he said. “My friend Xander knew I wanted to move, so I figured why not.”

“Why did you want to move, if you don’t mind me asking?” Buffy asked hesitantly, not wanting to push too hard for details. She definitely didn’t want to scare him away yet, when he hadn’t even moved in.

“Dru, my ex,” he answered. Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Bad break-up. I couldn’t stay.”

‘Drew? What kind of guy would give up a hottie like Spike?’

“I’m sorry,” she said quietly, looking down at the sidewalk as they continued their way back to her apartment. Well, their apartment. “It’s not my business.”

“I don’t mind,” he shrugged. “Sounds like we both had bad relationships.” Buffy nodded. “So, are you single?” She looked at him.

‘See, most girls would think he’s flirting with me, but nope, he digs guys. How come the cute ones are always gay? Is that some type of cosmic joke?’

“Yeah, I’m single,” she answered. “What about you?” He nodded.

‘Good, he shouldn’t bring anyone home,’ she thought. ‘For a while, at least. Hopefully.’

Little did she know that Spike was thinking the exact same thing.

As they reached the front door of her apartment, a slightly awkward silence engulfed them as Spike nervously shoved his hands in his pockets.

“Well, I’ll let you go inside,” Spike said, looking at her. “What time should I be here to move in tomorrow?”

“Whenever you’d like,” Buffy answered. “Here, let me just go inside and get you the extra key.” She unlocked the door and went inside, as Spike stood in the doorway, watching her move around.

‘I love the way her golden hair bounces. It’s…effulgent.’

Buffy briefly gave him a funny look, before waving him inside. “You can come in. It’s not like you need an invitation.”

“Huh?” he asked, breaking out of his daze. “Oh, right. Sorry,” he replied before taking a couple of steps in.

She walked over to him with the key in her hand, giving it to him. He smiled, his fingers brushing against hers lightly before they pulled away and Spike put it on his key ring.

“How about around nine?” he asked. “I can bring us breakfast.” She smiled.

‘I think I’m going to like this roommate thing. Much more than being with Riley, that’s for sure.’

“Nine sounds perfect,” she answered, walking with him towards the door. “I can help you unpack.”

“I’m sure you have better things to do than to help me unload my stuff,” he smiled, stopping at the door.

“Nonsense,” she replied, smiling back at him. He looked into her eyes.

‘Heaven help me. I could get lost in those eyes. The way they sparkle when she smiles is enough to do me in,’ he thought, pausing. ‘But what a glorious demise.’

“We’ll see how you feel when you see how much I’m moving,” Spike said, opening the door again. “Well, I’ll see you in the morning then. Good night, Buffy,” he said softly, leaning forward slightly, before stopping himself from kissing any part of her face, deciding that he didn’t want to scare her off.

Spike backed away, toward the door, as he warned himself, not wanting to ruin a good thing when it was practically hitting him in the face.

“Good night, Spike,” she said, smiling softly. “Good luck packing.” He nodded and walked away, leaving. She went back inside her apartment and locked the door behind her before leaning back against it.

‘He must be gay. He didn’t even try to kiss me on the cheek. After we shared what could’ve been considered a moment,’ she thought, sighing. ‘Or he’s just being a gentleman. Oh, who are you kidding, Buffy? He’s gay, and there’s nothing you can do about that. You can’t just change someone’s orientation.’

She walked towards her room and sat on her bed, looking through the window at the town that surrounded her.

“I’m rooming with a gay, Billy Idol wannabe,” she said quietly, shaking her head in disbelief.

'Too bad Riley's not around to see this. He wouldn't believe it.' She hesitated. 'Even I don't believe it.'

* * * * *

Buffy opened the door the next morning with a bright smile on her face.
Spike involuntarily swallowed as he took in her cut-offs and midriff baring
tank top. He felt a twinge of arousal as she opened the door wide to let
him enter.

“Good morning,” she said in a bright mood, tilting her head and letting her
long blonde ponytail swish around her shoulders.

“Morning, luv,” he said in a husky whisper before clearing his throat and
holding up a bag of food, trying to get his mind off of other things. “Breakfast.”

“Great!” Buffy said, practically bouncing toward the kitchen as she pulled
out glasses, plates, and orange juice to set on the table. Spike had to
suppress a groan as she reached upward onto the tallest shelf to get the
glasses. He could have offered to help, obviously being the taller of the
two, but then he wouldn’t get to admire how her shirt slid up her torso,
showing off her toned stomach.

“Did you get all packed?” she asked, glancing at him as she began to pour
two tall glasses of juice.

“Uh, yeah,” he replied, forcing himself to snap back to the present and stare at her eyes as he
sat down at the table. “My friend Xander came over and helped me load it
all this morning.”

“You didn’t have to work?” Buffy asked, sitting down next to him.

“Not until tomorrow. Xand wanted to give me some time to settle in.”

“That’s nice,” Buffy said with a soft smile, wondering if there was more to
this friendship with Xander than he was letting on about. She decided now wasn’t the time to ask.

Spike pulled out several breakfast sandwiches and hashbrowns as Buffy raised
an eyebrow at him. Spike saw her look and glanced down at the four
sandwiches on the table. “Sorry,” he said with a smile. “I didn’t know
what you would like, so I just ordered a variety."

Buffy shrugged before reaching across the table and grabbing two of the
sandwiches. “No problem,” she said, unwrapping one and taking a huge bite
out of it before seeing Spike’s look. “I’m not picky about what I eat,”
she said, swallowing the mouthful. “And I have a big appetite.”

“Good to know,” Spike said with a grin before unwrapping his own sandwich.
“Now I know to label all my food,” he continued, laughing when Buffy threw
her discarded wrapper at him.

* * * * *

Spike and Buffy spent a leisurely hour unloading the boxes from the truck
Spike rented. Neither in a hurry, since Buffy didn’t have class that day
and Spike wouldn’t be working. When all of the boxes were successfully
stored in his room, he met Buffy out at the truck and smiled as she sat on
the edge, kicking her feet like a little girl.

He glanced in the truck, seeing only the furniture left. “Thanks for the
help, luv.”

“We’re not finished yet,” she said, hopping up from her seat and boosting
herself into the truck before walking over to the couch that would be going
in his room.

“Don’t worry about it,” Spike said, shaking his head. “I’ll have someone
come over and help me tonight.”

“It’s really no problem,” she said with a smile, waiting for him to climb
into the truck.

“It’s okay,” Spike said, waving his hand in dismissal. “I don’t want you
getting hurt.”

Spike realized his poor choice of words a moment too late. “So you think a
girl will get hurt, just because she’s a girl?”

“No, that’s not what I meant,” Spike backtracked. “It’s just…well…I…I have
this bad tendency of sticking my foot in my mouth.”

Buffy smiled at his explanation but wasn’t about to back down. “Get your
ass in the truck, bleach boy.”

Spike chuckled, hopping into the truck and walking over to his side of the
couch. “If you need a break, let me know.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow before lifting her end of the couch before Spike
even had a grip on his. She led them down the small ramp and into the
building, never once saying a word or complaining- although Spike did come
close several times.

Finally reaching the apartment, they set the couch down against one wall in
his bedroom before Buffy turned those wide green eyes on him. “Ready to
get the bed?”

Spike looked at her in disbelief. “What are you? Wonder Woman?”

Buffy giggled, skipping out of the room as Spike trudged behind her.

* * * * *

Two hours later, Buffy was lying on Spike’s bed, lazily flipping through a
magazine as Spike unpacked his things. He was happy she seemed so content to spend time with him, and she already appeared to be comfortable in his presence. Something about that gave Spike a warm feeling.

“So what’s your major, pet?” he asked, breaking the comfortable silence.

“Art,” Buffy said, looking into his eyes and noticing how blue they were.

“An artist. Well, I’m impressed,” Spike replied, throwing a winning smirk
her way and smiling when she blushed. “I thought most artists like to
showcase their work. Where’s yours?”

“My room,” she said, gesturing to the ceiling. “I didn’t think it would be
fair to subject my new roommate to my finger-paintings.”

“I hardly think they’re finger-paintings if it’s your major.”

Buffy shrugged, turning her attention back to her magazine as Spike stood
up. “Well, I think I’m going to hit the showers.”

Buffy felt her mouth go dry at the thought of him standing under a cascade
of hot water, droplets flowing down his skin, steam rising up around him…

‘Stop it, Buffy!’ she inwardly yelled at herself, standing up.

“I’ll go make us some lunch.”

“Good idea,” Spike said with a smile as he stripped off his soaked t-shirt.

Buffy felt all the air leave her body as she looked at the exposed muscles
of his chest, letting her gaze travel downward to his chiseled abs, licking her lips before
backing toward the door, wringing her hands together as she walked. “Yeah…I’ll just go and-“

Buffy stopped as she ran into the door. Pushing it open, she gave Spike a
small, embarrassed smile. “I’ll just go…enjoy your shower.”

Spike smiled as she left the room. ‘She’s checking you out, that’s the
first step.’

Buffy smacked her head repeatedly against the palm of her hand. ‘Stupid
Buffy! Don’t go ogling your roommate. Especially when there’s no
possibility of anything happening with him!’