Chapter 12 – Illusions



Buffy smoothed down the skirt of her simple, black shift dress in hopes that somehow it would become more than it was. Her mother bought it for her a few years ago off a sale rack saying that it was the kind of dress that could go anywhere. Maybe in Sunnydale, but here in Los Angeles, it was sadly lacking both in style and quality. She stared down at her bargain black shoes waiting for her William to return to her. Beside him she could believe his words that made her more than she ever hoped to be in her life.

“Ready, pet?” Spike asked, returning to her side after retrieving his ticket from the valet.

“Guess so,” she said, wishing the perfection of the last of the few days alone with her husband could have last forever. She looked up at the entrance of the small unadorned restaurant that was really a haven for the rich and famous to dine unnoticed. It took a powerful name to get a reservation at Daniel’s and quite a bit of money to pay for it. A long conversation with her star struck sister had given her all the details that William had brushed aside. He insisted it was just a quiet restaurant where they could have dinner with friends.

Not according to Dawn who filled her in with enough gossip about his friends to make her belly flip flop at the thought of even meeting them much less ever call them friends. It was only the reality of the private room at Tiffany’s to select her ring, and the confirmation of this dinner that made her realize she was in way over head at being Mrs. William Nagle. A role she wasn’t ready to take on yet.

“It’ll be fine,” Spike whispered, nuzzling her ear while his slipped around her waist. “They’ll love you just like I do.”

“You’ve been blinded by my light,” Buffy quipped, stepping in front of him as he held the door open for her. She softened her self-criticism with a smile. It was one thing she learned in the past week was that he hated all signs of her doubts about herself. He insisted she was his light and perfect because of it. It made her wonder what would happen when the bloom wore off and he realized that she was just a girl after all.

The maitre’d greeted William with an enthusiastic friendliness that let Buffy know her husband was a regular guest at this establishment.

“Louis, this is my wife, Buffy,” Spike said with obvious pride in his voice. It warmed her as she stepped forward to greet the man. She didn’t offer her hand, unsure of whether she should or not, but neither man seemed to feel it was a gaffe. She was just relieved when their small talk was over and they were led through the dining room.

It really was a beautiful place, she decided, taking in the worn brick walls, the high ceiling and the snowy white linen on every table. There were enough plants to make it a little cozier and the intimate lighting lent to the mysteriousness of the guests dining. She recognized a few faces, filing them away to tell Dawn about later. Her little sister had made her promise to give up all the details when it was over. For now it was just too dreamlike for her to accept.

“Hi, Buffy,” Xander jumped when he saw them approach. He took her hand, pulling her closer. He kissed her cheek, before he turned to introduce her to everyone. “Everyone this is Buffy, and Buffy, this is my wife, Cordelia.” The stunning brunette only nodded at her, but she smiled before turning to where Xander was indicating. “This is Mr. Giles, Spike’s agent, and this is Jenny, his fiancée.”

“Hello, everyone,” Buffy said, reaching over the table to accept Giles hand then Jenny’s. At least they seemed friendly enough, she thought as she took in their smiles. William directed her to a chair that was between Giles and himself. “It’s nice to meet everyone,” Buffy continued, trying to be sociable. “William has told me quite a bit about you.”

“Hmm,” Cordelia said, picking up her wine glass. “While you were quite the little surprise.”

“Yes, she was,” William defended her, slipping his hand into hers. “It was the best surprise I’ve ever gotten.”

It was just the extra boost of confidence she needed. Buffy tilted her chin up as she returned the curious gazes of his friends. She wouldn’t disappoint him.

~~~~~~


By the time dessert arrived, Spike was already in love again. Buffy was using every inch of that backbone of hers that he admired so much in the beginning. She was trying so hard to act like she was comfortable in this shark pool he’d thrown her into. Thankfully, he was able to convince Xander to make reservations at this restaurant where the menu was easy to read and the atmosphere more laidback then some of the others they frequented. Save the fancy stuff until he had taken Buffy there alone on a date. Teach her the ropes before he let them get their claws into her.

He wasn’t blind about his friends and associates. Xander and Cordelia played the prince and princess of Hollywood to perfection, while Giles could be cold and unyielding when it came to what he considered business. Unfortunately, he was Giles’s most lucrative client so he would perceive Buffy as a threat until proven otherwise. Jenny was the only wild card in the bunch. She could be a loving mother hen or the steel wall behind her man. Her reception to his new wife would all depend on whether she would consider Buffy an asset or not to him.

Through the appetizers and main course it was pretty much just small talk among old friends. Catching up on each other’s lives and sharing tales of their early days with the newcomer. But as the evening approached the end and dessert had been ordered, Spike could feel the tension rising around the table. He knew they were getting ready to pounce. Instinctively, he scooted closer to Buffy, who gave him that smile of hers that always made him want to take her to the closest bed.

“Giles, any word on my future?” Spike asked, hoping to direct the conversation toward something a little more neutral.

“Supposedly, their lawyer is busy preparing a lawsuit,” Giles said, leaning back in his chair. He played with his nearly empty glass of scotch. “Frankly if it goes to court it could be hazardous to your career.”

“Doubtful,” Spike retorted. “The fans are what is important.”

“And there is your bloody romanticism getting in the way of real life,” Giles replied, tearing his glasses off and throwing them on the table. “Have you decided to go on a suicide mission lately and forget to inform those of us who give a damn?”

“Yeah, about your own money,” Spike said, leaning on the table. “You haven’t given a shit about me or my personal life before so why now? Because I finally found someone that makes me happy and you’re afraid you’ll lose your fucking gravy train?”

“William,” Jenny said. “It’s not that at all,” she reached across the table to grasp his hand. “Rupert is worried about you, that’s all. You have to admit that you’ve been making some pretty bold decisions in the last few months.”

“I’m trying to get a life as he told me to do,” Spike said, leaning back in his chair. He slipped an arm around Buffy before facing his friends. “I won’t compromise my character or my heart. If you can’t live with that then I guess we don’t have anything else to say.”

Despite his concerns that they would walk, Spike put his feelings on the table. These four were the ones who always stood beside him when things were tough. They’d cleaned him up, kept him out of the tabloids as much as possible, and seen him through the first days of suspicion. It was their airtight alibis that had cleared him of his wife’s murder. No matter how hard the police had tried they couldn’t find a trail from him to a hired gun. Their friendship was sealed in blood. All of them had secrets that could be costly if gotten out. Some knew more than others but they could destroy each other in the end.

Suddenly Giles let out a hearty laugh which let the others give a sigh of relief. He leaned forward on the table, taking Jenny’s hand from his. “Well, mate, I was hoping that you would be digging in your heels, because I have a plan.”

“Thank god,” Xander said, shaking his head. “It was beginning to feel like the OK corral around here. How about a bottle of champagne while we discuss this?”

“Sounds good to me,” Spike said with a grin. “I knew I could count on you guys.”

“Till the end,” Cordelia said, tossing that mane of hers. “So, what are we going to do to keep Spike’s ass out of the courtroom?”

“Patience, baby,” Xander purred, signaling the waiter over. “Let’s all get a little bubbly into the mix to make it a little smoother.”

The waiter appeared at tableside almost before he was called. The best bottle of champagne was ordered and passed around even to Buffy. No one questioned it. It was just the way things were. The first glass was tossed back quickly. A ritual they’d shared over the years. A way to loosen up and prepare to do what needed to be done.

Giles leaned forward, indicating it was time to get down to business. The others moved a little closer to hear a little better.

“There’s going to be a party next weekend to honor David Rollins,” Giles said casually. It wasn’t though. Not David Rollins, one of the most respected names in the science fiction film industry. He’d taken several books, and turned them into major blockbusters. “I’m invited and can get you an invite as well. If we can get Mr. Rollins to express an interest in the Galaxy trilogy, I think it would put pressure on them to release your book as you wrote it.”

“Giles,” Spike scoffed. “So, we’re going to walk into a party filled with press and accost the guest of honor like greenhorns? I’m not that desperate.”

“If your books are good, then shouldn’t he already know about them?” Buffy asked, quietly. She shrugged when she became the center of attention. “I mean…well,” she bit her lip. “I’ve been doing some research on you and your books are even more popular than the last book he turned into a mega hit movie.”

“Give the girl a gold star,” Xander said, with a grin. “She’s right, you know. Davie has got to already know about your shit. So, be confident when you meet him, make him realize that you’re his next project and, voila, your problems are solved.”

“Yeah, just like that,” Spike said. It could happen. At least it was something he could do instead of sitting around waiting for his fate to be handed to him. It was time to take action of some kind. He leaned over toward Buffy. “You up for a party, love?”

“Me,” she squeaked. Her eyes widened even as her jaw dropped. She shook her head vehemently. “I don’t think I’d be much help to you.”

“You’re my lucky charm,” Spike said. “I need you there.”

“You’ll be fine,” Cordelia said. “Tell you what. I’ll take you shopping this week to find the perfect dress. Maybe spend a day at the spa getting our hair and nails done. Pamper ourselves then you’ll feel like you could go anywhere.”

“Tact much, Cordy?” Spike asked. “Buffy doesn’t need anything to make her anymore beautiful than she already is.”

A slow blush covered her cheeks while she leaned against his hand. “Thank you, William, but Cordelia is right.” She waved a delicate hand in front of her. “I do need something to wear if you want me to go with you. You’ve seen my clothes.” She smiled. “And maybe a little pampering would help me feel a little less small town.”

“Don’t change too much,” Spike whispered, letting his fingers trail across her skin. “You’re perfect to me just the way you are.”

“I agree,” Jenny said, leaning forward. “Buffy is a natural beauty. Don’t go heavy handed on the makeover.”

Spike noticed the flash of malice in Cordelia’s eyes at the other woman’s words. She didn’t tolerate competition in her company. Everyone always followed in Cordelia’s path for the latest trends. All threats were quickly eliminated or taught to know their place. He would need to warn Buffy later not to take Cordelia seriously especially if she felt uncomfortable with the advice she was given. He really did love Buffy the way she was, all innocence, honesty and passion for him. He didn’t want her to change at all.


To be continued…