Chapter 14 – Like an Angel




Buffy took a deep breath before stepping out of the restroom. She knew she shouldn’t have drunk champagne on an empty stomach. It was there though, and she was nervous, so she did. Thankfully, she was able to make a halfway graceful exit to the restroom before her stomach rebelled.

The party was still in the early stages. People were still arriving, making entrances just so everyone else would know they were there. Some of the guests, Buffy recognized, but most of them she didn’t. The names were familiar, and Will was being good about letting her know who was who and why.

She searched the large reception hall for him. The room was too crowded for her to see past a few people. She was going to have to search for him. After a soft sigh, she took another deep breath for courage before diving into the mass of chattering people.

“Excuse me,” Buffy said, trying to duck around a group of older men.

“Hello, lil’ darlin’,” one drawled, slipping his arm around her waist, and preventing her from moving on.

The man was giving her a once over that was making her nervous. He seemed to be able to feel her skin through the thin material of her dress. A chill ran down her back as he caressed her with roughened fingers. Buffy looked up and found that his eyes were focused on the valley between her breasts. She glanced around hoping to see someone she knew, but she was on her own. She wanted to scream at her not to touch her, but she decided to be polite for the moment since she didn’t know who he was or what his intentions were toward her.

“Hello,” Buffy said, not liking the fact that his hand that was slipping lower down her hip. She tried to step back. “I’m sorry I’m trying to find my husband.”

“What’s your name?” the man asked, pulling her back against him. “He’s awful neglectful letting a little thing like you get lost.”

“I had to use the restroom,” Buffy replied, trying to stay calm. There were people all around her. Nothing was going to happen to her. “And we got separated. Now I need to join him,” she added firmly, hoping he would listen.

“Oh, I’ll help you find him in a minute. I’m Weston Blake,” he said, like she should know who he was when in fact she had no clue. “Now, what’s a pretty thing like you done so far?”

“Done?” Buffy asked, confused. “I don’t understand.”

“A little television, maybe some movies,” Weston said. “I bet the camera just makes love to you.”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy repeated. Once again she stepped back. This time with a bit more force. “I haven’t done anything, and I don’t want to. My husband is here on business and I need to find him. If you’ll excuse me.”

“Who’s your husband, sweetheart?” One of the other men asked. “I’m sure we can find him for you.”

Buffy smiled at him in relief. He seemed much kinder then the one still touching her. “His name is William Nagle.”

“Oh, right. The author,” he said, with a nod. “Wait a minute. He’s your husband?”

“Yes, we were only married a few weeks ago,” Buffy said, playing with the top row of petals on her dress.

“Well, I can see why he married you,” Weston replied. “I’m sure you’re doing everything you can to distract him from his grieving,” he added with a wink. “And I’m sure it’s not hard for you to do with how pretty you are.”

This had gone on long enough. Buffy raised her chin as she glared at the man in front of her. “I love Will very much and will do anything I can to support him,” she declared.

“Ma’am, why don’t we go find your husband?” The second man asked.

“Now hold on, Roger,” Weston said, in a booming voice. The grin on his face was making butterflies dance in Buffy’s stomach. She wanted away from him. “I heard your husband is looking for a little backing on his book from David Rollins.” He trailed fingers down Buffy’s arm. “Maybe you and I could make a little deal since I’m the one that’s been helping with the financing of David’s little ventures. A good word from me and…”

He left the thought unsaid, but his meaning was clear. Blood rushed to Buffy’s face as she took in the implications of Weston’s words. The butterflies decided to do battle as her stomach turned over. Was this how the game was played? She knew Will would kill the man in front of her for even suggesting it. But she also knew that by refusing Weston’s offer she could ruin Will’s chances of succeeding in their plan.

“Sir, I do apologize,” Buffy said, deciding to act like she misunderstood Weston’s intentions. “I really don’t think I should be making any deals on my husband’s behalf. If you would like we could go and find him so that you could talk directly to him.” She batted her eyes for effect while she waited for a response.

“Oh, I don’t think you’re husband would mind,” Weston said, moving so that he stood between Roger and Buffy. He was so close that she could smell the liquor on his breath. “Sweetheart, how do you think he got any kind of movie suggestions at all?” He played with a loose curl that had escaped the pins that once tried to hold her hair in place. “Drusilla was more than willing to help her husband out anyway she could. If you catch my meaning.”

For a moment, Buffy stood frozen, staring at the repulsive snake in front of her. Then her hand covered her mouth as she realized that Drusilla hadn’t just cheated once on Will. If Weston was right, Dru was probably never faithful to her husband. Buffy looked around the room at the men who decided who made it in Hollywood and who didn’t and wondered how many Dru had slept with. Her next thought was of William, and his poor heart that still wasn’t completely healed.

Never before in her life had Buffy hated anyone before, but Will’s first wife was quickly becoming the first. No wonder he seemed so broken at times with so much loneliness filling those blue eyes. She felt an ache deep in her chest and all she wanted was to wrap her arms around her husband and give him all the love she had.

A cough broke through her misery. She blinked as she realized that Weston was not only still leering hopefully at her, but was also still waiting for a reply from her. Her first instinct was to tell him what a bastard he truly was, but she wouldn’t…couldn’t cause a scene.

“I’m sorry, but I’m not Drusilla,” Buffy said softly but with all the strength of her love for William behind the words. “I believe in him enough to know that he can and will make it just fine without me.”

Then she turned around so that she could leave the nightmare behind. She did believe in William. And she knew her words were true, but the magic about living in a fairy tale were gone. Ever since they’d come home, it had slowly been whittled away, and then tonight whatever was left was shattered. She was fool enough to believe that her marriage to Will would make all her problems go away. That he would take care of her like he had that first night on the beach. But they hadn’t gone away. The problems were just different now.

“A bourbon and water, please,” Buffy ordered, when she found herself in front of one of the bars set up around the room. It was what Will had requested earlier. She just hoped she could get it down, because she had no idea what it tasted like. All she wanted from it was to make it all to go away. There was no fear of getting sick again because she’d already forgotten her earlier prayers to the porcelain god.

“I hope that’s for Will,” a feminine voice said behind her.

Buffy whipped around to see Jenny standing there. “No, it’s…,” she started, but stopped when she realized her voice was quavering.

“Let’s take a walk,” Jenny said, with no chance for Buffy to refuse in her tone.

It was like being scolded by a teacher. She’d had enough, but the inquisitive looks from several people around her, reminded Buffy that she couldn’t cause a scene. After taking the drink from the bartender, she followed Jenny over to a corner of the room.

“What’s wrong?” Jenny asked.

Buffy blushed again as she thought of Weston and the little deal he offered her. She looked down. Her whole body shook as she tried to stop the tears from falling. She wanted William there to hold her.

“I can’t do this,” Buffy finally said.

“Do what? Act like an adult instead of a teenager on her first binge?”

“I’m not,” Buffy snapped. She wiped the tears from her cheeks. “I’m trying. This guy puts the moves on me, telling me that he’ll make sure Will gets the deal if I sleep with him. When I tell him no, he tells me that Drusilla did…and I don’t understand these people. If you love someone, how could you do that to them?”

“Buffy, look at me,” Jenny said. This time there was a little more kindness in her voice. It was enough for Buffy to listen to her. “Drusilla was a backstabbing whore who didn’t deserve someone like Spike. He was so in love with her that we tried to…ignore what she was doing. For him. Because he couldn’t see.”

“No, he just finds out when his wife dies in bed with someone else.”

“He knew before that,” Jenny said. She sighed, looking beyond Buffy for a moment. “It’s something that you need to hear from him. Right now he needs you to be the wife she never was. To help his career instead of making him the laughing stock of every man with power in this town.”

“How?”

It was what she wanted. To be the wife that William needed and wanted. It was a small way that she could repay him for loving her so much. If anyone knew what he needed it was Jenny. And she trusted Jenny enough to follow her advice without question or second thoughts. Unlike Cordelia.

“Spike said that you were a cheerleader. Were you?”

“Yes,” Buffy said, not following the connection.

“You need to use that bubbly, happy personality to get this crowd to follow your enthusiasm for Spike’s books,” Jenny explained. “Take the drink to Will. It was never yours. Only sip champagne, stay clearheaded, and be the adoring wife and make nice with the people he’s talking to. Understand?”

Buffy nodded as she summoned up the classic smile she once wore when she cheered. She turned back to the crowd, then gave a small silent prayer before making her way through the throng of people. It didn’t take her long to find Will talking to some men with their back to her. She came up beside him, slipping her free hand under his arm.

“Here you go, honey,” Buffy breathed. “I brought you that drink you wanted. Sorry it took so long”

It was then that she realized who he was talking to. It was Weston. She froze for a second wondering what they were discussing. She looked back to her husband, but there was no trace of him being upset about anything. In fact, he looked excited about something.

“Thank you, Luv,” William said, surprise filling his face as he accepted the drink she held out for him. He kissed her cheek before nodding at the man standing in front of them. “This is Weston Blake and Roger Landing. They’re both with Crawford Financial and work with David Rollins on his movies.”

There was awe in Will’s voice and no matter how much she wanted to rat on the man for propositioning her, Buffy knew that Spike’s future could very well depend on these men. She returned the smile onto her face and held out her hand.

“Hello, I’m Buffy,” she said politely. “It’s very nice to meet you both.”

“Oh, god, I’m sorry,” Spike said, with a nervous laugh. “Gentlemen, this is my bride, Buffy. Found her a few weeks ago and made her mine as soon as I could.”

“I can see why,” Roger said, taking Buffy’s hand. “You’re very lovely.”

“Thank you,” Buffy replied, deciding she really liked this man. He didn’t seem to play the same game as his partner. Afraid of what she would see, she reluctantly turned to Weston as she held her hand out for him. But he surprised her.

“Ah, yes, I think my partner is right,” Weston said. Admiration for her showed clearly in his eyes. He winked at her. “It’s very easy to tell that you’re a rare gem amongst all the false glitter that is Hollywood.” He kissed the back of her hand before dropping it. He turned to Will. “You’re a very lucky man.”

“Thank you,” Will said, smiling down at Buffy. “I am very blessed to have found her.”

“It’s me who is lucky,” Buffy returned, with honesty, “To have found such a wonderful man,” she turned to Weston and Roger. “Not only is he sweet to me, but he has such a brilliant, creative mind, too.”

The three men chuckled in response.

“Yes, he does,” Roger said. “I can’t say that I’ve ever read your books, but my son is addicted to them. He even belongs to an online community that is made up of fans of yours.”

“Really?” Weston asked, studying William with an appreciation that wasn’t there before. “You have a large following?”

“Science fiction fans are very faithful,” Will said. “They’re also creative and intelligent in their own right. I’m very honored to have fans that want to not only discuss the universe I made, but to also expand on it.” He turned to Roger. “If you’d like, I can send over some autographed copies of my books for your son.”

“Yes, yes, please do,” Roger said, with a laugh. “My son would love it and I could use the brownie points. Get very few these days with a sixteen-year-old. His name is Roger, too. Junior, of course, which he hates.”

Buffy leaned closer to her husband while she listened to the men talk. This was a side that she hadn’t seen yet of the world that her husband lived in. They’d never discussed his fans before and she made a mental note to see if she could find the online community dedicated to his work. It would be interesting to see what his readers thought of the man she lived with.

“Have you met David yet?” Roger asked, breaking Buffy from her reverie.

William tensed beside her, letting her know how nervous he was about meeting the man who could make or break his career. She squeezed his hand to reassure him that she would be with him no matter what happened.

“No, not yet,” Will said, entwining his fingers with hers. “But I would love to.”

There was adrenaline rushing through his body that was making Will almost vibrate with excitement. Buffy could feel his emotions as they worked through his system. From the slight dance he was doing to the sweatiness of his palm nestled against hers. She wanted to tell him that everything would be all right. If these men didn’t see the genius in Will then they were fools who would lose in the end.

“Well, let’s go,” Weston said, turning to lead them though the crowd.

Roger followed behind him then Buffy and Will fell in step behind him. Maybe there was some fairy tale left in this town. At least Buffy hoped so, for her husband. The night was still young, and there was still room for anything happening.

“I love you, Will,” she whispered. “And everything is going to be all right.”

“Only because you’re beside me,” he whispered back. “You’re my good luck charm, you know?”

And she did.

to be continued…