Chapter 24


Buffy slipped from the warm security of her husband’s arms, watching him for any sign of wakefulness with each inch she slid out of the bed. Spike flung his arms out as he settled on his back in the middle where just a moment ago they were holding each other tight. She wished that she could live in ignorance so she could keep holding him instead of using the cover of night to uncover his secrets. No, it was more like the secrets of his dead wife.

The only way that their marriage could be everything she wanted it to be was to face the truth, and put it behind them. No matter how ugly, Buffy wasn’t going to let it come between her and Spike. He was too important to her soul. There was no way she could survive without him.

She tiptoed from their room, closing the door softly behind her before hurrying toward the stairs. Hopefully, she could find out what she wanted before Spike would wake up. With one last look behind her, she slipped into the den, taking a seat at Spike’s desk.

It took a few minutes for the computer to warm up. While she waited, Buffy impatiently tapped on the desk with her fingernails. Every moment she was away from Spike, the guiltier she was feeling. Doubts started to creep in, and she was about ready to retreat when the welcome screen flashed. Her fingers hesitated over the keyboard for only a second before she double clicked for the internet. The deed was done.

“Okay, let’s see what the world had to say about your death, Drusilla,” Buffy muttered. After typing in Dru’s name, she waited for the results. It didn’t take long. There were quite a few matches. Mostly basic gossip, the clothes she wore, the parties she attended, but then Buffy found the information she wanted. An article reprinted from the local paper about the murder of a Hollywood legend and a prominent LA attorney.

The headline screamed in bold type, “Studio Princess dies with Lover”. Buffy exhaled the breath she’d been holding. The article described the murder scene with eerie details that made Buffy shiver with the truth. A single bullet for each victim, Drusilla’s through the heart, and the man was shot between the eyes. Apparently there’d been some attempt at survival because the lamp was broken, and Drusilla’s body was draped over her lover’s which was half off the bed. The police statement said that they suspected that the murder was personal.

“Like no duh,” Buffy muttered when she read the obvious statement. There wasn’t anything in the article she didn’t already know, so she returned to the search results. There was a follow up article a few weeks later. A reporter looking for a way to extend the sensation when it had already been buried with the couple. He hinted at Spike possibly being involved in the crime. There was a photo of Spike at the funeral with the caption declaring the lack of tears from the grieving husband. Standing beside Spike was Xander who did have tears streaming down his cheeks.

“Why are you crying when Spike wasn’t?” Buffy asked to no one in particular. She searched the group for any more familiar faces. Cordelia was standing behind the two men. Buffy’s eyes opened in surprise when she saw a half smile cruelly curling the brunette’s lips. It seemed someone might have been happy about Dru’s death. There had to be an explanation. They’d been rivals, but they were both happily married, or at least content, so why would Cordelia be happy that Dru was dead?

Buffy rubbed her eyes. She hadn’t really discovered anything new. There had to be something somewhere that would hold the key to Spike’s happiness. She reached to click off the internet window when she saw a reference to secrets in the article. Something to do with the autopsy results. Another hint of evidence that would incriminate Spike. There weren’t any more details on the autopsy.

Buffy did another search. This time for the reporter. Surprisingly enough, he’d quit working for the paper a few days after the article was printed. He was now reporting for an independent magazine that he owned.

“Well, gee that’s convenient,” Buffy thought as she wrote down his name and the address for his office. Apparently he knew something worth knowing. It seemed she’d have to pay him a visit.

~~~~~

Everything she needed for the afternoon was in her purse, the information folder for the driving school, cash and credit cards to pay for everything, and the name of the reporter Buffy had found in her midnight search. She sighed, throwing her purse over her shoulder before heading downstairs. Tara was waiting for her, the only person she trusted with the truth of her mission. Plus, Tara was fully on Buffy’s side because she didn’t understand or even want to understand this Hollywood life.

“Will?” Buffy called out on reaching the main floor of their penthouse. “Where are you?”

He didn’t answer so she started to search on her own. There wasn’t even the clacking of his computer keyboard to break the silence. Buffy headed for the terrace. There he was, lying on a chaise lounge with his notebook across his lap while he furiously scribbled notes for his edits.

“Hey, Will,” she said softly, waiting a few feet away until he noticed her presence.

“Hello, pet,” he answered, but didn’t look up. “Give me a few minutes…okay?”

“I’m leaving…just wanted to remind you.”

This time he did look up. Confusion played across his face as he took in her suede jacket and matching purse. “Were we supposed to be somewhere?”

“No, just me,” she laughed. “Tara came into town to visit me and we’re going to spend the day together. She’s going to take me to the driving school.”

Spike’s head tilted as he searched his mind for the information. It took a second before he remembered what Buffy had informed him about Tara. “Oh right Luv, I’m sorry. “ He paused. “I still wish you’d wait for me to teach you to drive.”

Buffy shook her head before bending down to give her husband a quick kiss. “We’ve been over this…you don’t have time and I need to learn. Can’t have Mrs. William Nagle taking the bus…if Lindsey can drive so can I.”

“She’s totaled two cars already,” Will replied. “I hope your not going to use that as an example.”

He was serious, while she was joking. It was because his mind was still on the edits he was making to the screenplay. Buffy smiled and patted his head like he was a child. “It’s okay, sweetheart, I don’t plan on totaling anything. That’s why I’m going to a professional…not that you can’t do better, but you’re just getting busier…and I need to learn to take care of things on my own.”

“I should…”

“No, you shouldn’t,” Buffy declared, already knowing that he felt her happiness was dependent on him. She sat on the edge of the lounger. “I’m okay with this. The time you do have for me can be spent in better pursuits…like making love,” she kissed him again. “Or cooking for me,” giggling she nipped his ear lobe.

“Brat,” he teased, tickling her sides. “I give. Go on, just come back soon.”

“I will,” she promised.

Sighing with relief that she’d managed to cajole him into agreement, Buffy rushed to the elevator. It was only when she was halfway down the building that the guilt niggled at her tummy. She closed her eyes, leaning back against the wall, and tried to tell herself it was for the best. She loved William with all her heart, there was no argument about that, and didn’t the end justify the means? At least that’s what she tried to tell herself as she made her way across the lobby to the revolving doors at the front.

Tara’s small economy car was parked at the curb toward the end of the half drive. The doorman gave her the once over as Buffy opened the front door. After seated she slipped her sunglasses on her nose then tilted her head up.

“My poor car is intimidated by the others on this street,” Tara commented dryly as she pulled out into traffic. “She doesn’t quite fit in here.”

“Kind of like me,” Buffy said with a sigh. She patted the dashboard. “It’s okay. They’ll have to accept us…eventually.”

“Things not getting better?”

“Yes, of course they are…if you like living in a maze.”

“Then why don’t you leave?” Tara asked. After a pause, she snapped her fingers. “Oh, that’s right, it’s because you love the prince and one day you’ll live happily ever after.”

Buffy laughed. “I don’t think that will ever happen.” She dragged a finger across the window. “I’d settle for no more clouds over our heads.”

“I’m proud of you for fighting back.” Tara smiled. “I remember the girl of a few months ago who was certain that life was going to be one of drudgery and barely making ends meet like the rest of us mortals.”

“Have I changed?” Buffy muttered, wondering if she had or had just been waiting for this turn in her life. Like she’d been sleeping for most of her life, and was just now waking up to the person she was meant to be.

“Yes, Buffy,” Tara said dryly. “So, the driving school first?”

“Yes, ma’am.”

They both giggled as Tara maneuvered through the traffic. It didn’t take long for them to reach the driving school and enroll Buffy to start instructions in private lessons. Soon, they were headed to the other side of Los Angeles where Allen Doyle had set up camp. The building wasn’t hard to find. Not in the best neighborhood but decent enough. Buffy noted it was also clean as the two women made their way through the lobby to the bottom floor office.

Hopefully, Buffy wouldn’t be recognized. Not with her hair pulled back into a ponytail and her expensive jacket and purse left in the trunk of the car. She was going for the average young woman look, and could only pray that this quest wouldn’t find her in the evening rags. She also knew that a lot of that luck rested with the man she was going to see.

The entire enterprise of Doyle’s was in one room with three desks. One desk, apparently the receptionist’s, was vacant. Her attention was drawn to a man arguing over the phone at one of the other desks, but that changed when the man at the other desk waved at them.

“You both here about the job,” he said, standing to come over to them. “I guess its my lucky day.”

“No, actually I’m here about something else,” Buffy replied.

Doyle instantly tensed. His gaze darting between the two women as he seemed to try to figure out if they were foe or friend. It made Buffy smile. Or it did, until he stopped to scrutinize her face.

“Ah, you’re married to William Nagle, aren’t you?”

It was Buffy’s turn to tense, but there was no way to deny it. Her shoulders slumped as she nodded. “Yes, I am.”

“And what would bring you to my door? Perhaps you’re finding it a bit hard to live with your new husband? Has he beaten you yet?”

“Of course not,” Buffy snapped. “William is one of the…”

“Kindest men you know,” Doyle finished. “Yeah, I’ve heard it before.”

The smirk on the handsome man’s face reminded Buffy of Xander’s expression when he thought he had something over on Buffy. She wanted to scream in frustration. Why was finding out the truth so difficult?

“He is,” Buffy said a little quieter. “I read your article. I know what you think about him, but you’re wrong.”

“Care to enlighten me then?”

“I have to have your word that my visit isn’t going to appear in your next edition.”

The man still sitting at the desk in the corner laughed at Buffy’s statement. He leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed over his chest. “Lady, are you crazy?”

“Forget it.” Buffy said, turning to leave. “Obviously, you don’t have any honor and there wasn’t a grain of truth in your articles about Drusilla.”

“Now, that’s not exactly the truth either,” Doyle said, making Buffy hesitate. “What did you come here for?”

“Because I need the truth. I know William didn’t do it,” Buffy said, with conviction. “You alluded to some big secret in your article that led you to believe that he did do it. I want to know what you know.”

“What do I get for telling you and keeping my mouth shut about you doing a little detective work on your own?”

“What do you want?”

“I want the world to know that William did do it, so I want an exclusive when this breaks.”

Buffy laughed and shook her head. It was Tara who so far had been standing quietly in the background that answered. “There’s no way she can promise you anything. Are you in this business for the truth or for the sensationalism?”

Doyle sighed then smiled. “Okay, I’ll tell you what I know. Can’t give you anything but the facts, you understand.”

“It will be more than I know now,” Buffy said.

“And one other thing,” Doyle said, staring at Tara. “Your phone number.”

Tara blushed. “O…okay. I’ll wr…write it down while you and Buffy talk.”

After nodding his agreement, Doyle turned back to Buffy. “Look to be honest, all I have is information that no one will substantiate. It’s factual…just people got paid off to keep some things quiet. I suspected your husband of the murders, but there are others who could have done it.” He leaned back against the receptionist desk. “Her father, or the wife of the man who died with her,” he paused for a second before dropping a bombshell she wasn’t expecting, “or it could have been the father of her baby.”

To be continued…