Chapter 3 – Chances


There wasn’t a lot to do in Sunnydale on a Thursday afternoon. Taking Buffy to the movies was too, well, typical for Spike to even consider. Hiking along the cliffs was too strenuous even though the privacy factor was a point worth considering. Lying on the beach was too boring, so he wasn’t sure what they were going to do.

A lot of it had to do with the fact that he hated this whole socializing scenario. Dating wasn’t something he remembered fondly. It had been a disaster to his younger, unpopular self, and once he did gain a little confidence, Drusilla had found him. From the first moment he saw her, he knew she would be an important part of his world.

It was at the opening of an up-and-coming artist at the White Room Gallery in West Hollywood that he first saw her. She was standing so regal before a table of small sculptures, sipping Dom Perignon, and talking in earnest to the artist. It was all stuff to him. If it was interesting he might acquire it, but to discuss the fine points of a piece wasn’t something he did. The woman with the waist length raven hair was worth discussing though. He stopped across the table from her until she looked his way. The flash of curiosity from her big brown eyes was all it took for everything to fall into place.

They ended up having sex in his car before the night was over. She was more experienced than he, showing him things he’d never imagined, and he was under her thrall by morning. Two months later they were married in a quickly thrown together elaborate affair that made the society column. His bride was the granddaughter of Jacob Masters, the head of one of the largest movie studios in Hollywood. Born to be petted, William became her world, doing what he had to in order to keep her happy. Until his own success came and tore them apart.

There was no way he was prepared to play the part of the eager boyfriend to a girl as innocent as Buffy. He doubted that she’d been around the block more than once if she’d even gotten that far. He questioned his motives again as he knocked on the door of her hotel room. Nothing could come out of this except a wasted day. He needed to return to Los Angeles, she needed to return to wherever she came from, and there wouldn’t even be a memory of a brief but enjoyable affair between them. He took a step backwards to flee but the door opened.

“Hi,” Buffy said, stepping back. “Sorry it took so long but…I was trying to…,” she blushed as she leaned over to pick up her sweater and purse.

“It worked,” Spike said, running a knuckle across her cheek. “You’re absolutely stunning.”

She looked startled for a second before the flush grew deeper. “Thank you.”

“You hungry?” Spike asked, deciding to take mercy on her. “I brought the morning paper. Thought we could browse through it and maybe find something to do today.”

“Starving actually,” Buffy responded, stepping through the door. She smiled as he closed the door behind them. “There’s not going to be much to do around here.”

“I’m sure we’ll find something,” he guided her toward the elevator with his hand on her lower back. She was so tiny that the primitive male in him was going into protection mode around her. But he knew that her body was curvy in all the right places. He glanced over at her, taking in the low riding jeans she wore that gave glimpses of her tanned stomach beneath a pink pullover. The top was low enough to give him ample viewing of her breasts as they pushed upwards. His tongue darted to lick at his lips. He wanted her. He shouldn’t and he definitely shouldn’t try to seduce her, but it was a tempting thought.

A shake of his head brought him back, making him realize she was chattering about something. He hated mindless prattling. It was a waste of time that could be spent reflecting on the world around you, or discussing something meaningful. Like whether or not the world would ever catch up with the technology found in science fiction novels.

“I’m sorry, Luv, what were you saying?” Spike asked, interrupting her flow of words. He reached around her and hit the button for the elevator. “I was off thinking about something.”

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Buffy said. She blinked. “I was rambling. I do that when I’m nervous.”

Spike stepped closer to her. Pinning her between him and the wall, he whispered in her ear, “Do I scare you?” She giggled. It wasn’t the response he was expecting. He kept forgetting that under her shy and unsure outer shell hid a tough little soul. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, Big Bad Wolf,” She said, speaking in a little girl voice. “Are you going to eat me?”

Her hand flew over her mouth when she realized what she’d said. Her eyes opened wide as she stared up at him. It appeared she was too stunned to even be embarrassed. He hugged her tight against him while he shook with delighted laughter.

“Oh, little red riding hood,” Spike said. “I certainly hope so.”

The doors opened to the elevator revealing a car full of people. A few stepped out, but a lot remained. Buffy pulled away, but grabbed his hand as she guided him into the car with her. He squeezed it, searching her eyes for a response to his statement. She locked eyes with him when she noticed his perusal. He could see the lust deep within those hazel depths. It wasn’t going to be easy to be a gentleman. Not when she seemed to want him as much as he wanted her. He didn’t want to hurt her, but maybe she was ready for a grownup relationship. It could be what she was looking for. He decided he would find out all he could about her in their time together then make a decision; he relaxed and prepared himself to have some fun.

~~~~~~~~~


It didn’t take her long to figure out that William was moody, almost always too serious, and way too old for her. Yet when he looked at her like she was the most desirable woman in the world, she knew she would stay to see where this attraction would lead. It seemed like forever since anyone had made her feel wanted in any capacity. Not since her mother died anyway. She was completely alone in the world with only a few thousand dollars in the bank.

Her boyfriend left for the other side of the country after graduation, taking her innocence too casually, and breaking her heart with an ease that left her shy of ever loving anyone again. Angel and she knew each other since kindergarten, but he found no difficulty in using her then leaving her. So, how could you trust a stranger? She didn’t want love, she didn’t know if she could ever trust again, but she wanted another look or touch from William like an addict needing another fix. He wasn’t any good for her, but she wouldn’t stop seeing him.

“Chocolate or vanilla, Luv?” Spike asked, looking back over his shoulder at her.

She glanced up at the small menu hung on the outside of The Sweet Shop. It was a glorified cart made to appear like a trolley car. It was angled on the end of a long sidewalk hoping to entice tired walkers with its multitude of sweet confections. It had worked on her and Spike was all too willing to indulge her.

“Mmm, a scoop of each,” Buffy answered after only a moment of deliberation then added, “Please.”

Somehow after a long breakfast of good food and reading the newspaper together, they decided on spending the afternoon at the zoo. It was one of the few spots that Sunnydale had for tourists. The local lighthouse had finished off their morning. Spike wanted to see it for research purposes, he’d said. It was built on what was once a temple for a goddess. Attached to the lighthouse was a museum with artifacts that had been found on the property. Some of them ancient religious artifacts that belied a darker purpose than good will toward man.

They left with a large pile of informational booklets and several books on both the history of the place and the goddess that was once worshiped there. It amused her to see how excited he was over it. During lunch he continually read passages to her that bored her. She didn’t want to be rude so she made all the appropriate comments. Watching the animation on his face was a change of pace that fascinated her though. To see his face light up and him rambling on about a temple that wasn’t even there anymore was cute.

“Here,” Spike said, handing her a double decker ice cream cone with an amused look. “How do you stay so skinny?”

“That wasn’t nice,” Buffy declared, glaring at him. “Last night you said I was fat and now you call me skinny.”

“I think you’re perfect,” he said, giving her a quick peck on the lips. He tasted like the strawberry ice cream he’d chosen. She licked her lips to enjoy the taste of him a little longer. “And beautiful,” he took her hand. “Funny, adorable, taste good, and you’ve got a great…”

“Watch it,” She warned. “It’s only our first date.” She sniffed for effect and raised her face so her nose was in the air.

“I was going to say that you’ve got a great stash of courage,” Spike teased, with a shrug. “But if you think its offensive, I hereby duly apologize.”

Spike was wrong. She didn’t have any courage. It was why she was spending way too much money to stay at the hotel for a couple of weeks instead of finding a decent place to live. She didn’t want to face reality yet. It hurt too much and she was still hoping for a miracle. Those things didn’t happen to her. Every since she turned sixteen, her life seemed to always be changing and none of it had been for the good.

Forcing on a smile she didn’t feel, she said, “It’s hereby accepted.”

“Do you know you’re a brat?”

“Yep, and don’t ever forget it.”

“Don’t think I will,” Spike said, dropping an arm around her shoulder. “Let’s go to the reptile house.”

Buffy wrinkled up her nose at him. “Ick, how about the petting zoo?”

“Smelly and messy,” he said, trying to steer her in the other direction. “Snakes are housed behind nice glass where you can gaze at them all you want without having to touch them.”

His statement sent another warning signal darting through her brain. She dismissed it though. There couldn’t have been a declaration of his true nature in his words. Spike was emotional and very affectionate. His hand was always there to offer support; hugs and kisses were freely given. Nothing like a snake at all. She looked up into his eyes for a moment then relaxed. He was scared of being hurt just like she was. There was a defiant glint in those glacial blue eyes that told the true story of why he would try and keep her at a distance.

“Snakes it is,” Buffy decided, taking his hand. “Did you know there’s a demonstration room where if you’re lucky they’ll pick you to hold a snake?”

She would find a way to hold one even if she had to beg. Spike would see that even a snake could be affectionate and cuddly. She just hoped he wouldn’t see how much she’d be shaking on the inside while doing it though. Totally forgotten were her own vows of not letting anyone too close to her heart.

~~~~~~~~


The seven white candles flickered around the hotel room. Their magnolia scent filled the room with their sweetness. The cashmere throw was positioned over the back of the couch and a bottle of champagne was chilling in a wine bucket by the couch. The crystal flutes were waiting on the table along with a small bowl of chocolate covered strawberries. Spike looked around in satisfaction. It was a scene set for seduction, but yet he still wasn’t sure that seducing Buffy was what he wanted.

She was a combination of innocence and sensuality that was making his insides do flip-flops over her. The memory of her petting the boa constrictor with fear filling her eyes made him smile and shake his head. He got the message. She was ready for whatever happened between them. Thus the reason his hotel suite was set for a night of love even down to the condoms in the bedside table.

“Everything to your satisfaction, sir,” Tara asked, stepping out of the bathroom. The young waitress had been more than happy to run interference for him and help gather the supplies needed. She even came up to help him set things up. She had just put the finishing touches in the bathroom; some more candles, extra towels and a bottle of flowery bubble bath.

“Yes, everything is fine,” Spike replied, glancing around one more time. He reached into his pocket for the hundred dollar bill he decided the young woman deserved for helping him. He held it out to her and she hesitated when she saw how much it was. “Take it, Tara, you did an excellent job of helping me. I won’t forget it.” Still she hesitated, her eyes darting around the room. “Is there something wrong?”

“Forgive my impudence, Mr. Nagle,” Tara commented, her eyes fixed on the floor. “Miss Summers, she’s…,” the eyes flew up to meet his as her shoulders went back. “She’s young and she’s been hurt really bad. I don’t think…excuse my saying so, but she may say she’s ready for this but I don’t think she really is.”

“I appreciate your commentary but I don’t think it’s any of your business,” Spike retorted. He knew Tara was right but he didn’t want to hear that. He didn’t want the responsibility of hurting Buffy. He wanted to believe they could enjoy a night of sex and then say good-bye without any hurt feelings. He reached over and shoved his money into Tara’s apron pocket. “I think that will be all, Tara.” He marched over to the door and pulled it open.

“I apologize again, sir,” Tara said, heading for the door. She stopped in front of him one last time. “If you give her the chance, I think she can be what you need.”

With that the young woman disappeared down the hallway. Spike stared after her for a moment before slamming the door shut. How could a waitress have any clue what William Nagle the Third could possibly need? She had no clue what went on in his life…in his world? She didn’t. Buffy knew what she wanted. The same thing as him. A love affair to while away the time. Neither of them wanted a relationship. Dismissing the young woman’s words and his own whispering heart, Spike headed to his bedroom to change clothes for the evening. Buffy would be here any moment and he wanted everything to be perfect. It didn’t occur to him that his need for perfection wouldn’t be there if he didn’t care how Buffy did feel.>


to be continued…