Chapter 31 – Standing Ground



The room Cordelia ushered Buffy into was the couple’s inner sanctum. It was obvious that this was where they felt comfortable enough to take off their public masks. One entire wall was dedicated to expensive electronics in the newest models. A bar occupied another wall while the middle of the floor held large pieces of furniture with thick cushions that a person could sink into for a nap or hours of watching the huge television.

Buffy took it all in before perching on a barstool. She didn’t want to be at a disadvantage by being too comfortable. Cordelia didn’t say anything about her choice, but instead strode behind the bar.

“Would you like a drink?” Cordelia asked, picking up a decanter filled with a clear liquid. “Oh, that’s right.” She snapped her fingers. “You’re knocked up so I guess alcohol is out of the question.”

“Do you have some juice or something?” Buffy gave a bright smile as if she had no clue what Cordy was trying to do. “You’re right; I do want to take care of William’s baby in every way possible.”

Cordelia didn’t say anything, but her face showed her displeasure in the thinning of her lips and the narrowing of her eyes. Rage displayed every beginning line on Cordy’s thirty something face. Lines usually hidden by makeup expertly applied to enhance the brunette’s beauty and hide her age. Buffy almost felt sorry for Cordelia’s fear of losing her status both in public’s eye and with the close-knit people she considered family.

Whatever sympathy she might have disappeared as Cordelia displayed her anger by jerking open the refrigerator to yank out a carton of orange juice. She slammed it down on the bar then reached for a glass that received the same treatment before being filled. Juice splashed out as the glass was shoved across the bar toward Buffy.

“Thank you,” Buffy said, picking up the glass to take a sip. “So, about Will’s jacket?”

“Don’t toy with me.” Cordelia slammed the refrigerator door shut making the contents rattle and crash before becoming still. Tension filled the small space between the two women with Cordy staring daggers into Buffy. She waved a hand in the air. “This has nothing to do with a damn jacket.”

“Okay, enough with the small talk then,” Buffy, said with a shrug. She wasn’t going to be intimidated. The baby she carried needed her to be stronger then she’d ever been in her life. “Why don’t you just say what you feel you have to say?”

Of course, Cordelia had to try to take back control of the situation. After all, she was the one who’d called this meeting. Buffy watched her pick up her drink, and walk slowly over to a chair to take a seat. Every movement the brunette made was deliberate and predatory.

For a brief moment, Buffy wondered what it would have been like to watch Drusilla and Cordelia interact, if they constantly vied for the most attention or if they moved in sync. No wonder Xander had wanted them both. Two vapid whores for the price of one. A brief smile crossed Buffy’s face, but just as rapidly as it appeared, she bit her lip to hide it.

“All right, Buffy,” Cordelia started, but then she paused. She took a sip of her drink while looking Buffy over from head to foot. “I now you’re pregnant and that you think William is going to be all gaga over his impending fatherhood. He won’t though. Parenthood is the last thing he wants right now.”

“And I think you’re wrong.” Please, please be wrong, Buffy prayed to herself. She tried very hard to keep any emotion from her expression. If she could help it, she wouldn’t show any weakness to the cobra waiting to strike. “Will has told me he wants children.”

“He lied to you.” With precise movements, Cordelia put her glass on the side table. “Spike has always lived for himself, for fun, and a child would only interfere with that desire.”

“No, that isn’t what he wants,” Buffy said. “It’s what you and Xander are trying to convince him that he wants. Once he hears about this child, he’ll be ecstatic.” She covered her stomach with a possessive hand. “There won’t be any room for the two of you in his life. Not if you’re not supportive of our new life.”

Cordelia laughed, throwing her head back, and letting it erupt from her belly. Cruelty underlined every note as it resounded around the room. Buffy put her shoulders back, lifting her chin in the air, but couldn’t stop the flush that flooded her face. She realized that coming here was a mistake. For all her bluster about finding out the truth and protecting her family, in the end she wasn’t anything but a little girl playing grown up. She wanted to run to her husband. Beg him to make it all better and banish the bad children from the playground.

Except she was here with a woman who was more evil than anyone Buffy had ever met before. A woman intent on doing her and her child harm if she could get away with it. Buffy didn’t have a choice but to stand her ground and figure out a way to get out of here without any more damage.

“Please,” Cordelia said, covering her mouth with her hand. “Do you really believe that? Spike is going to settle for some whimpering female and her brat forever? I don’t think so. Especially after this movie is made and he is the hottest property in Hollywood. With his looks, he already can get any female he wants, but after that he’ll be fighting them off. Why would he even look at you?”

“Because I love him,” Buffy declared. “It doesn’t matter if he’s poor or rich, famous or just the guy next door. I believe in him, his soul, his heart and I will for all time, and not just for the next good time.”

“You have no clue about life,” Cordelia sneered. “Spike feels guilty so he went to find a good girl who won’t ask too many questions. Who’ll do as she’s told. He’ll get tired of you soon enough. There are too many good times ahead for him…with us, to waste the rest of his life with you.”

It was Buffy’s turn to laugh. “You don’t know me at all, do you? It’s really funny, but I know more about you, your husband, and Drusilla than Will probably does.”

“Like what?”

Buffy giggled. She could have sworn she saw Cordelia squirm. “Like a lot of things.”

“You don’t know shit.” Cordelia picked up drink, drained the glass before standing to head for the bar. “There isn’t anything you could possibly know that could do anything to our relationship with Spike. We’ve played nice long enough. Xander is miserable because of you. That I won’t tolerate.” She put her hands on the bar to lean closer to Buffy. “You think you can protect your marriage and the brat you’re carrying, but I know that Xander will always come first with Spike. They’ve been together for almost as long as you’ve been alive, little girl. You’re just a diversion for Spike. It won’t last.”

“All you want to do is throw empty threats around.” Buffy headed out of the room. “I don’t have time for this, because my husband and I are going to celebrate.” She pulled open the door, turning to look Cordelia in the eye. “And I do know a few things that might change Will’s opinion that you act in his best interest.” She lifted a hand. “Like that you knew Drusilla was pregnant and she was planning an abortion right before she died.”

“Yeah, Drusilla knew what you refuse to see,” Cordelia said, leaning forward with her elbow on her knee. “What I know, too. It’s a truth you won’t accept. Spike won’t want this child. It will be an albatross around his neck while you see it as a way to hold onto your man. Grow up, terminate this pregnancy or you’ll regret it.”

“I don’t believe you,” Buffy said, rubbing her hands along her upper arms to try to force away the chill creeping its way through her body. She wanted to be anywhere but at the Harris’s house. “I know this child will be loved by Will. It will be the start of a new life for us. A life of happiness and hope. A life that won’t include all the things that are bringing Will down.”

“Well, continue with your little fantasy, but when Spike feels trapped, don’t come running to me.”

“Believe me,” Buffy said, standing up. “I will never come to you for anything.”

Buffy didn’t wait for a reply or even an expression from Cordelia. It was over as far as she was concerned. She didn’t have any doubts about who Will would choose in the end. One day in the not so distant future, Xander and Cordelia would only be a memory for her family. She hurried to the foyer of the large house where Tara was waiting for her.

“Let’s get out of here,” Buffy said, grimacing. “I should have listened to you and not come here.”

“Are you all right?”

Buffy didn’t answer until they were both in the car and heading down the driveway. “I’m all right now that I’m out of that snake’s den. Cordelia is a bitch. She’s threatening to take Will away from me. And saying that he won’t want the baby.”

“You don’t believe her, do you?”

“No, or at least I’m trying to convince myself I don’t.” Buffy shuddered. “She said that Xander is the one William really loves and will end up with him eventually.”

“What about her? I mean if Will does love Xander,” Tara said, pulling onto the main road leading back to Sanctuary. “Doesn’t that leave her without anyone?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy replied, staring out the window. “With them, I guess. Not very many morals in that crowd.”

Both lapsed into silence until they pulled into the front of Buffy’s building. “I wish you didn’t have to return to Sunnydale,” Buffy said, opening the car door. “It’s been great to have you here. I didn’t feel quite so alone.”

“I know.” Tara pulled Buffy into a hug. “I’ve felt needed for the first time in forever. We’ll keep in touch, but you’re really starting a new life and I’ll be the old maid friend.”

“Never,” Buffy, and added with a smile. “And not if Doyle has anything to say about it.”

Tara blushed. “We’ll have to see if he calls me again. There’s a lot of distance between LA and home.”

“Not really.”

Buffy hugged Tara again, before hurriedly jumping out. She gave one last wave as Tara drove away. It was time to tell William the good news as she almost skipped through the lobby to the elevator.

to be continued…