Chapter 4 – Champagne Angels



“Right on time,” Spike muttered with approval. He glanced at his watch again to make sure. It was seven o’clock on the dot and Buffy was knocking on his door just like they’d arranged earlier. He opened it with a smile that remained frozen in place for a few moments after his first glance. Gone was the girl with whom he’d spent the afternoon, taking her place was a beautiful, poised woman in white silk. “Hello, Buffy,” he managed to say after swallowing his surprise.

“Hello, William,” she replied with a satisfied smile. Apparently his reaction was the one she was hoping for since it appeared in the few hours they’d been apart she’d been indulging the feminine side of her. She was even more breathtaking than when he’d first seen her.

“Please, come in,” Spike said, stepping aside. He took her hand after he closed the door, pulling her close to him for a quick kiss on her cheek. “You’re gorgeous,” he whispered in her ear. “Please make yourself comfortable.”

Spike expected her to sit with practiced, seductive airs on his couch, but once again she surprised him by heading for the balcony. Then he remembered that her room didn’t have a view worth mentioning since it was one of the cheapest the hotel offered. All Buffy could see from hers was the vast array of vehicles that had brought the guests to the hotel. He smiled as she leaned against the stone wall, throwing her head back to take in the tangy salt air.

After pouring them both a glass of champagne, he moved to join her. She stared at the glass for a second. He waited for her protest, but she took it from him with a smile and then took a sip.

“Thank you,” Buffy said.

It wasn’t for the wine. It was for taking her seriously, accepting the woman she was playing at and not making her feel like a child. He tilted his head, making mental notes on the makeover she’d given herself. It wasn’t the first time she’d done herself up like this, he decided. The makeup was perfect, not too heavy but not to light. Her hair was bundled carelessly into a knot that was subtly sexy. The dress clung to curves without being tight.

“I hope you don’t mind,” Spike said, leaning his hip against the edge of the balcony. “But I’ve gone ahead and ordered some appetizers to be brought up first then dinner to arrive about an hour later.”

“It’s fine,” she replied, with a sigh. “You have a beautiful view.”

“You can have it,” Spike teased, turning to stand beside her. They gazed out at the frothing waves dashing upon the shore in the waning sunlight. There were a few people clinging to the afternoon by continuing to swim. Mostly the beach was deserted, leaving them feeling like they were alone in the universe. “But I’m happy to be sharing it with you now,” he added.

“I’m sorry,” Buffy replied, with a bashful expression. “I came to have dinner with you and I’m paying more attention to the ocean than to you.”

“It’s all right, pet.”

It was. For a few moments she’d been at peace with herself, the world and him. He was sorry for opening his mouth and disturbing the spell she’d lost herself in. He sighed, taking her hand to lead her back to his sitting room. She glanced around, taking in the candles, the soft music playing in the background and the small table by the window. His intent to seduce her was evident to her. She glanced back up at him quickly then looked down again. Her inner struggle with her attraction to him was evident as it played across her face.

“I had fun this afternoon,” Buffy said, as she sat on the small couch. She took another sip of her champagne. “I haven’t been to the zoo in a long time.” She chuckled softly. “Not since…I was a kid in grade school.”

“I don’t think of you as a child,” Spike replied, running his knuckles along her cheek. “You’re very much a woman.”

“You make me feel like one.”

Her words were soft but there was no hesitancy in them. She was sure of what she was saying. Chills ran through him at the thought of teaching her about passion. He wondered how long he could play hooky with her before the real world forced its way into their lives. She was staring at him like she wanted to be kissed. Her tongue darted out to wet her lips. There was no way he could deny either of them any longer. He scooted closer, putting his arm around her shoulders and tucking her into his side. She clasped the back of his neck, meeting him halfway. They’d exchanged playful or quick kisses earlier in the day, but none that held the promise of this one.

Their lips met in exploratory slowness, dragging across the other until the curve of hers was imbedded in his soul. She was drowning him in her sweetness. He slipped his tongue between her lips, licking at her teeth, until she opened her mouth for him. He groaned when she met him with an eagerness that made him feel needed. It was something he hadn’t felt in a long time. He cupped her bottom pulling her closer to him, wanting to forget all his promises of going slow with her.

Her fingers threaded through his hair, holding him close to her. He broke the kiss to nibble at her lips, sucking her bottom lip into his mouth. She mewled, moving his hand to her breast, holding it there until he squeezed the soft mound.

A knock on the door interrupted them. They both froze. Buffy’s hand flew to her mouth as she realized what they’d been about to do. If the first course hadn’t arrived he would have made love to her and she would have allowed him to.

“Excuse me,” Buffy mumbled, scrambling up to head into the bedroom.

Spike threw his head back, cursing the timing, yet at the same time appreciating the gift of a few hours to think clearly about things. He didn’t want any regrets from her in the morning. Another knock forced him to open the door. He stepped back, gesturing the steward toward the table. Buffy didn’t appear again until the young man was done and the door had closed behind him.

“It’s safe to come out, Buffy,” Spike called, staring down at the food he wasn’t in the mood to eat. She startled him by wrapping her arms around his waist, her head lying on his back. He covered them with his hands. “You okay?”

“More than okay,” she said with a sigh. “You have an amazing mouth.”

“I have an amazing everything, Luv,” Spike said with a chuckle as he turned to take her into his arms. “So, you’re not having a panic attack over being so forward.”

She shook her head. “No, William, I wasn’t.” She shrugged. “I don’t regret meeting you at all.” She didn’t explain further, but stepped around him to peruse the appetizers that awaited them. “A romantic choice I see,” she teased, pointing to the spicy wings and onion bud that he’d ordered.

“I like them.”

“They’re fine,” Buffy said, smiling. She took a seat, reaching over to snag a wing. “I like them too.”

Several hours later after a leisurely dinner of steak, roasted potatoes and steamed asparagus found them curled on the couch facing each other. They were well into their second bottle of champagne and Buffy was happily finishing off a few of the strawberries. Spike was watching her. He absently played with his wineglass that was balanced on his thigh. The conversation had been almost too casual while they discussed his career, world events, and her first year of college and the finer points of sightseeing in Sunnydale. Not once had they discussed what was happening between them, his marriage to Drusilla, or her ‘Angel’ who’d broken her heart. They were still virtually strangers. A fact that didn’t sit well with him.

“I was married before,” Spike said out of the blue. He didn’t regret saying it. She needed to know before making any decisions regarding him. Besides he wanted to tell someone who didn’t know the truth. It could be his truth. Buffy looked up from her dessert, eyes wide as she searched his face. “She died about a year ago.” He laughed, rubbing his eyes. It wasn’t really the right way to say it. He didn’t want Buffy to think he was still grieving. So, he told the truth. “That statement gives her the sympathy. She was murdered in a motel room with her lover.”

He heard the clatter of the plate hitting the table, and then silk rustling as Buffy slid over to him. Her hands covered his with a strength that he needed.

“She must have been an idiot,” Buffy said, with conviction. She cupped his face. “I’m sorry…”

“No reason for you to apologize,” Spike said. “You’re not the one who pulled the trigger. I’m fine…now. We were falling apart a long time before it happened. There wasn’t much love between us left.”

“Did they…find out who did it?”

“No,” Spike said, with a sigh. “But it looked like a professional hit. The man she was with was very powerful, and married. He probably pissed someone off and my wife was unfortunately in the wrong place at the wrong time.” He hung his head. “She was…a fool for thinking that she’d never have to pay a price for the games she played. I’m just relieved that I didn’t go down with her.” He laughed. “Now you know about my past. Hope it doesn’t make you want to go running away from me.”

“No,” Buffy said squeezing his hands. “Thank you for telling me.”

“Don’t I deserve the same courtesy?” Spike asked. He tugged on a lock of her hair. “Something about someone breaking your heart…an angel.”

“Angel was his name,” Buffy said, quietly. She retreated, pulling her legs under her and wrapping her arms around her middle. “We knew each other all our lives. Once we got to high school we dated. A week before senior prom he decided to tell me that he was leaving Sunnydale. He left me without a backward glance and is now going to Princeton.”

“He meant that much to you,” Spike said. “That you’re still broken hearted after, what, two years?” It was a little astounding that a girl like Buffy would still be grieving.

“Have I told you the rotten luck I have with men?” Buffy said with a smile. “Angel was my first love and I guess I measure everyone by him.”

“And everyone else falls short?”

“Up until now,” Buffy said, gracing him with a smile that warmed him with its intensity. She shook her head. “It’s not just Angel that has brought me to this major crossroad of my life.”

“What then?” Spike asked, idly playing with a strand of her hair that had found its freedom from the pins.

“My mother died two months ago,” Buffy said, blinking back tears. “She had a brain tumor. We thought she was better but I came home from class and found her…on the couch.”

Spike reached for her but she waved him back. She needed to get everything out. He understood that. It had taken him a bottle of whiskey, and a very patient, insistent Xander to pour out his feelings about Drusilla. It was an all night session taking until they had both passed out in his living room for him to shut up. He’d been thankful for having a friend who was willing to put up with him. Now, he suspected that Buffy didn’t have anyone to listen to her. So, he kept quiet and his distance until she was ready.

“My father came,” Buffy continued. “The same one who’d walked out on us a few years earlier. He sold the house since it was still half in his name, took my sister back to LA with him, and left me alone. He handed me a check and said good luck. Everyone I have ever loved has left me...”

She was sobbing so hard by this time that she could barely breathe. Spike gathered her onto his lap, rocking her as she clung to him. The cruelty of the men in her life filled him with a murderous rage. Love was a precious gift that was to be treasured just as Buffy was.

“I’m sorry,” she sobbed, pulling away. She wiped her nose with the back of her hand. “I…keep coming undone around you. I should go.”

“No, you’re fine,” Spike said, keeping his arms around her. “I’m here for you.”

The silent question stood between them. Would he stay? Spike didn’t know. He knew that physically he wanted her more than he should. Her sadness was a tragedy that tugged at his heartstrings. It would any caring, compassionate person, but could he be a support for her? A friend that could help her through this dark time in her life. That he didn’t know. He was barely keeping himself afloat in the quagmire that Drusilla had left behind her.

Buffy stared at him. Her eyes blinking as tears still ran down her face, but she didn’t say anything. Didn’t ask him if he would be her guardian angel. Instead she leaned forward, pressing her lips to his. He accepted the kiss, then the next until she shifted so that she was straddling him and peppering his face with desperate kisses that belied her need.

“Pet, you…need…you’re not ready for this,” Spike whispered as she nibbled along his neck. “I don’t want you to regret anything.”

She pulled back then told him something he knew but wished it wasn’t the truth. “I’m not a virgin.” She rocked forward on his erection, rubbing their evident needs against one another. “Angel was my first, leaving me after taking my virginity, Riley…my boyfriend after I got to college was someone I thought I could trust but left in the midst of my mother’s illness. I know you don’t want a relationship despite your courting me all day. You want me. I want you. I want to forget everything and lose myself in something that fucking feels good for a change. I know you can give me that.”

It was blunt. It tore at his soul to hear her put it like that. He would be the first on her spiral downwards into a cycle of searching for something…anything that would take away the misery that filled her heart. The people in her past had done quite a number on the girl. Taking her heart, making promises they wouldn’t keep, then leaving her without any trust. She was right. They wanted each other. She knew the score. And at least he could be her first something.

Spike did the only thing he could. The one thing he wanted. He gave in.


to be continued…