Chapter 6 – Follow the Yellow Brick Road



Ignoring the nervousness that was tearing his stomach to shreds, Spike strode toward the elevator. He reassured himself that everything was going to go just the way he wanted. Every detail he could think of had been seen to since he’d left Buffy at her hotel room door two hours ago. A little research on his laptop had yielded all the information needed to put together an impromptu wedding.

A discreet wedding chapel in Las Vegas was already on reserve for their arrival. And with a bit of persuasion they’d agreed to give them the deluxe package which they usually requested twenty-four hours notice for. It included everything from the bride’s bouquet to a keepsake video of the ceremony. It was all very romantic but yet a bit clandestine which made it all the more fun. If things fell into place properly then no one needed to know what was going on until it was over with. He trusted Xander not to say anything until Spike was ready to release the information.

Having a friend who understood the business was always an asset. It was partly their friendship that made Spike interesting to the paparazzi but it was mainly his former marriage to the princess of a movie empire that made him sought after. Of course her death was the sensation of the year before. The fervor had never really died down because there was no closure. Until then Spike was open game for the tabloids even for something as lowly as buying a box of condoms in the local drug store. It only made everyone speculate on which particular ingénue he was planning on using them with.

Stepping into the elevator, Spike held the open door button until the porter, along with the cart holding his luggage, was in the car. Hopefully they would safely be in Los Angeles when the news of his sudden marriage broke. It would probably be best for Buffy if he could take her out of the country for a month at least, but due to the contract disputes he simply couldn’t leave. He needed to be where he could be reached at a moments notice.

The porter remained in the elevator until Spike was already heading down the hallway. He’d already been told to wait outside the room until Spike called him in. Spike wasn’t sure how comfortable Buffy was going to be at getting used to his lifestyle. It could be overwhelming at first getting used to the circus like atmosphere that surrounded him. Sometimes he still wasn’t used to it, but he was confident that she would not only learn but genuinely thrive. She was a smart and gutsy woman that could handle whatever came her way. It was one of the reasons he was so sure that she was meant to be part of his life.

“Hello, William,” Buffy said, opening the door almost immediately after his knock. Her hand ran down the soft material of her white blouse. She looked up at him apologetically, “The dress I wore last night was the only white one…”

He kissed her to silence her words. The softness of her lips tempted him to linger a moment longer so that he could taste the lusciousness of her. His hand settled on her hip as his lips drifted along her cheek to whisper in her ear, “Too many ears, pet. You’re fine.” He proceeded to nuzzle the curve of her neck before stepping back. Buffy looked confused as she stared at him for a second. To ease her discomfort he added softly, “You’re more beautiful every time I see you.”

A blush stole across her cheeks as she stared down at her outfit again. It was casual, jeans with a flowing white gauze top that reached almost to her knees. She looked young, glowing, and happy. He cocked his head for a moment as he studied her. Yes, she was effulgent. He smiled in satisfaction at his conclusion. There were no doubts in his mind that they were at the beginning of a great journey together.

“Buffy, everything is out of…oh, excuse me,” Tara said, stepping out of the bathroom. She was carrying toiletries that he assumed were Buffy’s.

“Well, well, you do seem to get around,” Spike commented, looking the young woman over. One eyebrow rose in surprise to not only see the maid in Buffy’s room but also in street clothes. He looked slowly between the two women who were both wearing guilty expressions. A horrible suspicion entered his mind. It was one that made perfect sense under the circumstances. It filled him with confusion at the very thought. Surely he was wrong? But yet he couldn’t stop the callousness of his next words. “It seems I may have been the brunt of a rather nasty ruse.”

“What do you mean?” Buffy asked, putting her hand on his arm. Her green eyes were in a tempest of concern as she searched his face. It was as if she was worried that someone had hurt him. It only made his heart ache with bittersweet hope.

“It almost worked, didn’t it?” Spike growled, still unable to control the beast within him. “The two of you…”

“…are friends,” Buffy completed. She sighed in relief. “I’m sorry, William, for not telling you. It’s a small town. Tara and I went to the same high school. She recognized me when I checked in and knew what I’d gone through. We just couldn’t let anyone know we were renewing our friendship. The hotel frowns on employees and guests mingling.”

“That’s right…sir,” Tara confirmed, bashful as she stared at the ground. “Please don’t make a complaint against me.” She glanced up at him. “I’ll be fired if you do.”

The two of them looked like guilty children caught peeking at presents before Christmas morning. His foolish idea of them trapping the rich older man flew out the window. He breathed a sigh of relief, feeling foolish for thinking these two obviously innocent women capable of even considering such a scheme. He shook his head at his growing cynical nature.

“So, Buffy called you to tell you that I proposed?” Spike asked, after glancing behind him to make sure the door was firmly shut behind him and no one passing by could overhear their conversation.

“Yes, sir,” Tara said, with a joyful smile that made her eyes twinkle. “She was so excited, but kind of nervous so I told her I’d come over to help her get dressed and packed.”

Spike slipped his arm around Buffy’s waist, pulling her closer to his side so he could kiss her cheek. “Nothing to be nervous about, Luv,” he assured her. “I promise I’m going to take good care of you.”

“I know you will,” Buffy said, staring trustingly into his eyes. Pride swelled his heart that this extraordinary creature would want to spend her life with him.

“Congratulations,” Tara said, interrupting their moment to remind them that she was there. She bustled over to the bed to finish packing the things she was holding. “That should do it,” she said as she zipped the suitcase. “You’re ready to go.”

“Thank you, Tara,” Buffy said, going over to hug the other woman. “I’m going to miss you.”

“I’m going to miss you, too,” Tara said, holding tight to her friend.

Seeing the honest affection between the two friends, Spike reached into his back pocket to pull out his wallet. From it he extracted Giles’s business card. He scribbled on the back of it his personal phone number and cell phone then handed it to Tara. Buffy didn’t really have anyone left in her life. It would be a shame for her to lose another friend.

“You can reach Buffy at these numbers,” he explained, pointing at the card. “If you need anything please don’t hesitate to contact us.”

“Thank you,” Tara said, slipping the card into the pocket of her jeans. “Buffy feel free to call me anytime. Okay?”

“I will,” Buffy replied, giving her friend one last hug. She stepped over to the bed and reached for her overnight bag. “Guess it’s time to go.”

Spike took her hand, successfully stopping her from picking the bag up. “There’s a porter waiting in the hall that will take care of that for you, Luv.”

“Oh,” Buffy said with a shrug. “All right,” she finished with an apologetic smile. “I guess I’m just used to taking care of myself.”

“Of course you are,” Spike said. “Now that you’re with me you’ll have to get used to being pampered.”

There was an uncomfortable silence as he opened the door and motioned for the porter to retrieve her bags. No one said anything until the task was done and they were headed toward the elevators. Tara stopped in front of the stairwell entrance.

“It wouldn’t be good for me to be seen leaving with you two,” Tara said, stopping in front of the exit. She reached for Buffy’s hand. “Take care of yourself.”

“Don’t have to do that anymore,” Buffy said, with a smile. “Going to get pampered, remember?”

“You deserve it,” Tara said. “Congratulations and I hope only the best for the two of you.”

“Come on, Luv,” Spike said, once the door had closed behind the young woman. He put his hand on the small of Buffy’s back to direct her to the elevator. “Everything is going to be all right.”

Buffy followed him without hesitation. Spike shielded her in front of him while the porter rode in the back of the car. The ride to the garage level was made in silence. He led the group to where his car was parked, and then opened the trunk for the porter to load it with their belongings. It was only after everything was in the car and the porter was walking away, did she turn to him again.

“I have to go by the front desk before we leave,” Buffy said. “There are a few extra charges on my bill that I need to take care of.”

“Already paid for,” Spike said, “I hope you don’t mind that I did. I had to go by the front desk myself and just did everything at one time. It seemed easier at the time.”

The confusion on her face showed that the reality of what she had agreed to was becoming apparent to her. She had asked him if he planned on making her a pet and he had denied it. All he wanted was to let her know that she wasn’t alone anymore. That there was someone who would be there to handle things if her world became too much. But he knew there was a stubborn streak to her. Buffy needed to be able to handle things. To have control over her life or she wouldn’t feel safe. It was obvious that he’d overstepped his bounds by taking the decision out of her hands.

“Thank you,” Buffy said graciously before he had a chance to say anything. “I really do appreciate everything you’re doing for me. I shouldn’t act like I’m not grateful.”

“You’re going to be my wife,” Spike said, cupping her face. “It’s just going to take us some time to figure out all these little details. Don’t be afraid to tell me when I’m being an asshole, okay?”

She leaned into his hand that was still holding her cheek. “Every time I’ve come to depend on someone they’re gone.”

“I know, pet, I know,” Spike whispered, kissing her. “I’m here…not going to leave you.”

Buffy nodded and gave him a smile full of that warmth he needed from her. Looking into her eyes he could see the youth that he had squandered away. He would find that childhood hope and belief in her again. He had to. Spike kissed her forehead then turned to open the car door for her.

“Let’s go get married.”

“Now that I can agree with,” Buffy said with a smile as she slid into the passenger seat.

She tucked her blouse around her before he shut the door. He grinned as he jogged around the car. It was kind of silly in his opinion to be this happy about a woman and marrying her after only two days. The reality of his life kept trying to intrude on this bubble of joy but he wouldn’t allow it to burst. This was what he’d been looking for. It made him want to live again. She made him want to care again. Whatever sacrifices had to be made were worth it, he told himself as he climbed into the car. She smiled at him like he was her prince charming. It was what he wanted to be. He wanted real love with Buffy not the games he’d endured with Drusilla. Buffy would know that she was the center of his life.

“Now, all I have to do is put in the address for the wedding chapel,” Spike said, turning on his navigation system. “And we can be on our way.”

“We’re not going to have Elvis marrying us, are we?” Buffy asked, fiddling with the hem of her blouse.

“Nope, just an impersonator dressed like him,” Spike said, managing not to crack a smile as he teased her. He liked watching her eyes widen as she tried not to complain. She only shook her head before turning to look out the window. “I promise the ceremony will be very classy,” he amended, turning the ignition on. Still not sure if she was okay with the arrangements, he took her hand, kissing the back of it before rubbing it across his face. “It will be as special as we can make it under the circumstances, okay?”

“Okay,” Buffy replied. “I’ll put myself in your capable hands.”

For the next few minutes Spike concentrated on the hectic morning traffic as commuters headed back into town. As he headed toward I-15 which would take them to Vegas, it seemed everyone else on the road was going the same way they were. The racy Porsche maneuvered around the slower moving vehicles, but unlike the day he’d met Buffy, he drove with caution. There was more at stake now.

The computer chirped at him every once in a while to make another turn until he arrived at the on ramp on the highway. He managed to merge without problems then move over to the far left lane which at least seemed to be moving, albeit slowly. It was then that he relaxed, leaning back into his seat, for the duration of the drive. It would take almost four hours to reach their destination.

”Would you like to change the radio station?” Spike asked. It was funny, he didn’t even know what kind of music Buffy preferred or her favorite color or even what her middle name was, but it didn’t really seem to matter. They had plenty of time to figure all these things out. “Buffy?” Spike asked, when she didn’t reply. He glanced over to find her curled in the seat with her head resting against the window. She was sound asleep. He slipped her hair behind her ear and whispered, “Sleep tight, lamb, it’s going to be a long day.”



to be continued…