Chapter 7 – Til Death Do Us Part




Her beauty never ceased to amaze him. She constantly surprised him with each new complex layer that she showed him. A vision in a long form fitting dress rented from the chapel along with a veil that swept along her shoulders. Spike’s knees almost buckled beneath him when Buffy started down the aisle toward him. A womanly smile graced those luscious lips that could drive him mad with need. Oh, there was no doubt any longer. He was in love with this dream that seemed to be created only for him. This was who he’d been searching for his entire life.

Spike held his hand out for her to take when she neared him. They were icy to the touch belying the fear that was making her tremble beside him. Her eyes beneath the white lace told of her surety of this ceremony. He kissed the back of her hand before turning to the man who would join them in holy wedlock. The ceremony was a blur to Spike until he was asked to swear until ‘death do us part’. His thoughts returned to another wedding, to another woman that he took that vow for, and the results. Fear filled him that he would fail this woman too. Images of his dark princess lying on a cold slab waiting for him to claim her flashed through his mind.

It was him that identified her body. The man she had betrayed him with lying in the same room. Gunshot wounds tearing their chests apart above their hearts marred the perfections of their bodies. He didn’t want to let her go, but it was done. Nothing he ever did would take away the mistakes he made in his first marriage. No one would ever know went on between them behind closed doors. The hatred that bloomed from the first passionate months of their lives together that ended in Drusilla’s demise in a cheap hotel room. The guilt and shame was too much for him to bear. He had collapsed onto the cold tile of the morgue floor screaming for what would never be again. It was Xander that had carried him from that place of death.

“I’m here,” Buffy whispered, shaking him from the horrifying memories that made him want to run. “It’s okay.”

She leaned her forehead against his cheek. Her hand nestled in his, so strong, so comforting, giving him the strength to let go of the past. He wept in relief as he finished his vow, “I will be with you until my last breath. I promise ‘til the end of the world, Buffy.”

It was sufficient. They were married after a few more words were spoken between them. He had no ring to give his bride but planned a trip to Tiffany’s the first chance they got. It would only be the best for Buffy. He poured all his new found love and hope into their first kiss as man and wife. It was tender but powerful. He took it as a sign that all would be right in the future despite the quickness of their union.

“I’m so happy,” Buffy told him as she looped her arms around his neck. “This is a dream come true.”

“I know what you mean, Mrs. Nagle,” Spike said, smiling down at her. He pulled her close to him. “I can’t believe I found you.”

They kissed again. This time it was only an affectionate peck before they made their way back down the aisle. There were a few pictures taken before Buffy retreated to change back into her own clothes. Spike took care of the final arrangements and gathered their photos and video tape along with their license.

Buffy appeared happy when she returned to him. A smile graced her face as she walked straight to him.

“Hey there, pet,” Spike greeted her with a smile of his own. “You hungry? I thought maybe we could have lunch before we returned to LA.”

“It sounds wonderful. Now that my nerves are settling down, my stomach is growling.”

“Well, then that settles it. I have to make sure my wife is properly taken care of,” Spike replied, taking her hand. “There’s a nice restaurant down the street I think you’ll like. It serves a little bit of everything.”

After thanking the helpful personnel at the chapel, they hurried back to the Porsche. It was hard for Spike to concentrate on driving. He wanted to hold his bride, reassure himself that she and this marriage were for real. Her hand came to rest on his thigh as if she could read his thoughts. He could feel the caress of her thumb through the denim of his jeans, burning into him. Suddenly nothing else mattered. She was there for him. He didn’t need to worry.

Smith & Wollensky was a favorite place for Spike to visit whenever he visited Las Vegas or New York. A steakhouse that served top quality meals in a comfortable atmosphere was the type of establishment that he preferred. He figured that Buffy would like it too because it was such a relaxed type of eatery. Pulling into the front of the three-story building the valet rushed over to take over the parking for them. He took Buffy’s hand to lead her into the establishment, not letting her go for one moment. Not even when the hostess led them to a secluded table on the third floor giving them the privacy they wanted. They slid into the same side of the booth. His arm went across the back of the booth while Buffy cuddled into his side.

“Good afternoon. My name is Paul and I will be your server this afternoon,” a young man said, who came to stand beside their table. “May I bring you something to drink?”

“Iced tea,” Buffy replied, glancing down at the menu handed to her.

“The same for me,” Spike added, allowing his menu to remain on the table while he peered over Buffy’s shoulder. “Anything look good, pet?”

“It all does. I’m starving.”

“Sorry,” Spike whispered, kissing her cheek. “I guess I should have stopped somewhere earlier.”

“Stop it, William,” Buffy said, shifting to look at him. “If I was that hungry, I would have said something. I was too nervous before to eat anyway.” She kissed the corner of his mouth. “I appreciate you wanting to take care of me but I’ll speak up if I need something.”

“Promise?”

Spike covered her hand with his as memories assaulted him again. The demands Drusilla made upon him. Things she insisted he should have known about but had no clue. Maybe it was his youth and inexperience with women before he met his wife that made him so unable to give her what she needed. He shook his head but something dark beckoned to him. Something his first wife enjoyed. Something that he gave to her but always made him afraid.

“William,” Buffy called softly to him. Her hand caressed his cheek bringing him out of his former hell with her sunshine for the second time that day. “Don’t….okay? I promise.”

He nodded, unable to form the words needed. Buffy was beside him. She needed him. Forcing everything away but the girl beside him, Spike returned his attention to the menu, letting his finger drift across the selections.

“Why don’t we order several appetizers and share them?” Spike asked. “Maybe a salad and the shrimp cocktail. Do you like lobster?”

“I’ve never had it,” Buffy replied, staring intently at the menu as if she was embarrassed by her admission.

“Well, then you should,” Spike said easily. He decided it was going to be fun to open up a new world to his wife. Teach her things that she only dreamed about before. They were both quiet for the next few moments until their server returned with their drinks and to take their order. Spike played with a curl of blonde hair that rested on Buffy’s shoulder. “I was thinking earlier that I really don’t know that much about you. Like what music you like?”

“Pop, alternative,” Buffy said, with a smile. “You?”

“Punk.”

“I should have known,” she said with a giggle. “You seem the rebellious type.”

“Hmm, do I now? Was a bit of a nerd as a kid.”

“Then you got tired of it,” Buffy said. “Rebelled with all the bad things you shouldn’t do.”

“Something like that,” Spike said, wondering how someone so young got so astute. She’d pretty much nailed his changes accurately. “Bet you’ve always been the good girl.”

“Something like that. Cheerleader, on the homecoming court, etc... Guess I’m the typical blonde ditz.”

Spike was ready to refute her claim but then noticed the twinkling in her eyes. She was teasing him, but he decided that maybe she still needed the assurance that she wasn’t. Didn’t everybody joke about what made them insecure?

“Never typical, my love,” he said, nuzzling her cheek with his nose. “Very special indeed.”

“Okay, not typical,” Buffy said, her hands folding into her lap. “Just ditzy.”

“Why do you say that?”

“I’m not very book smart,” Buffy said, bowing her head. “Somehow I did pretty good on my SAT, but always struggled in my classes.”

“Are you afraid that I expect you to be some kind of genius or something?”

She shrugged.

“I’m not a genius either,” Spike said. “Most of my plans fall apart before I ever take the first step; I’m pretty emotional which is why I can write what I do. Ask me to do algebra or to dissect a triangle or something and I’ll just stare at you. So, I guess we’ll be dumb blondes together.”

This time she giggled. Her kiss showed her relief at not being looked down upon for who she was. He wondered which bastard of an ex-boyfriend made her feel like she was lacking in intelligence or some other area that he found important. Hoping to make her feel even better, he hugged her close to him. She relaxed against him making him feel that he could be the savior that he wanted to be. It reinforced his earlier thoughts that this was meant to be.

The rest of their late lunch passed in easy conversation that covered current events, their wedding and their preferred foods. Things that wouldn’t cause any kind of bad feelings on either of their parts. Leaving the restaurant, Spike retrieved the keys from the valet then handed them to Buffy.

“Want to drive for awhile?”

“I don’t know how to drive stick,” Buffy said, shuffling her feet. “Actually, I’m not much of a driver at all.”

“One of those unmixy things?” Spike teased, taking the keys back and opening the door for her.

“Yep,” Buffy said, sliding into the car.

“You just have to get comfortable with it,” Spike said, climbing into the car on his side. “Everybody drives in LA. What kind of car do you think you would like? BMW, Mercedes…?”

“A Toyota,” Buffy teased. “Something that won’t cost so much when I destroy it.”

“An Infiniti then,” Spike replied, pulling out into traffic and heading toward home. “What color?”

“You’re serious, aren’t you?”

“Yeah,” Spike said, glancing over at Buffy who was staring wide eyed at him. “You’ll need a car to get around. It’s like I said, everybody drives, unless you want me to hire you a driver?”

“No, no,” Buffy protested. She sighed. “I guess I didn’t really think about the changes that I’ll have to make.”

“We have to make,” Spike corrected gently. He reached over to squeeze her hand. “One thing at a time, okay? It will be one of the good things about me working at home; I’ll be around to help you adjust to the city.”

~~~~~~~~~~


Despite his promises it scared her to death. Suddenly Buffy was terrified at what she had done. Her mother would be horrified at her daughter marrying so rashly. A long lecture would be in the works, but her mother was gone. Buffy blinked away tears before they could fall. Before Spike could see them. It wouldn’t do to worry him anymore than she already had. She must seem ungrateful for everything he wanted to do for her, but she felt like someone had thrown her in the deep end and she had no idea of how to swim. All she was sure of was that she wanted to be with his man beside her.

When he held her, she felt safe. He brought her pleasure she never thought possible. In his arms she was a woman, not the little girl she’d been only a few days ago. For some reason he believed in her so she swore she’d muddle her way through this. Moving her hand to rest on his thigh again, she settled back into her seat for the long ride home.

“Spike, where do you live?” Buffy asked, as she realized she had no clue other than Los Angeles. “I mean do you live in a house?”

“Nope, not a house,” Spike replied. “I live on the Wilshire corridor in a condo building called Sanctuary. I’ve got one of the two penthouses. It has two levels along with a private terrace. Beautiful views of the city and it’s only a couple of blocks to Rodeo Drive.”

“Wow,” Buffy muttered. If she like she was drowning before, now she felt like she was being taken under by a tidal wave. She would soon be living a life that she never even dared to fantasize about. Small town girls like her didn’t end up in fairy tale lives like this. William spoke about Rodeo Drive like she would about going to Wal-mart. “How much money do you have?” She blurted.

“Enough,” Spike laughed. “Actually more than enough,” he said. “I guess you didn’t marry me for my money after all.”

“You said you were an author,” Buffy said, talking more to herself than to him. “I knew you had some money but now you sound like you’re…well, loaded.”

“That’s because I am.”

“I’m sorry,” Buffy rushed out when she realized she was making him uncomfortable. Her mother always told her it was crude to discuss someone’s monetary worth. Ashamed because she was acting so rude, she apologized again. “William, I’m sorry. I hadn’t really thought about it before and it kind of caught me by surprise.”

Placing her hand on his arm, she could feel the tenseness that vibrated just beneath the surface of his skin. She leaned over to kiss the corner of his mouth and whispered, “Forgive me?”

“Always,” Spike said a moment later. He kissed her quickly before returning his attention back to the road.

Buffy relaxed, happy that he seemed to willing to let her rudeness go. She promised herself that she would try to act like she was comfortable with all the new things that would be coming her way in the near future. If she could then she wouldn’t have to worry about making her husband ashamed of his small town wife.


to be continued…