Chapter 8 – The City of Angels



Buffy’s eyes widened when Spike pointed out Sanctuary to her. The building rose majestically toward the skyline with what she quickly calculated at what had to be almost twenty stories. It was a mix of stone and glass that demanded a person’s awe at its magnificent beauty. No warmth lie in the shadow of her regal posture, only an arrogance that made Buffy wonder at what she bore in inside.

Her study was muted when Spike turned into the underground garage with a casual manner that belied his comfortable ease at being here. She, however, seemed to be raising a swarm of butterflies in her stomach. Buffy placed a hand over her abdomen while telling herself there was no reason for concern. Her husband of only a few hours would guide her through the initial period of adjustment.

Spike flipped open his cell phone and pushed a few buttons. “Hey, Xander, you still at my place?” There was a pause before Spike laughed and told his friend to meet them in the garage to help with the luggage. He pulled the car into a spot that was marked with the words Penthouse 2. “You ready to see your new home, pet?”

“Yes,” Buffy said, plastering on her brightest smile. “The building is beautiful.”

“Not as beautiful as you,” Spike answered, leaning over to kiss her. His lips were demanding as he plundered her mouth. She responded in the way he seemed to want, submissive but passionate. He playfully squeezed one breast before letting her go. “I’ll get Xander to help us get everything upstairs then send him on his way. I want to be alone with my wife on our wedding night.”

“Me, too,” Buffy said, reaching for her door handle but it swung open before she could get to it.

“Hi there, Mrs. Nagle,” a brunette man said. He was smiling but it seemed to be as receptive as the building. “I’m the Xan Man and the best friend of your husband.”

Uncomfortable under his gaze, Buffy reached for her purse on the floorboard to give herself a second to get together. When she looked up, Xander had straightened up again, but his hand was there to help her from the car. Not wanting to appear rude, she accepted his help. It was only when she was standing beside him that it dawned on her who her husband’s friend was.

“You’re Alex Lavelle?” She asked, staring at the television star in front of her who was being so casual about meeting her.

“Only when playing star,” Xander joked. “Most of the time I’m just Xander Harris.” He and Spike looked at each with indulgent amusement. “Looks like your bride likes your best friend.”

“Very funny,” Spike responded, with an edge that startled Buffy.

She shook her head to clear out the quagmire of uncertainty that was making her behave like a schoolgirl. Stepping around Xander, she joined her husband at his side, letting her arm brush against him as she reached for her overnight bag. Throwing it over her shoulder she looked back at Xander.

“I really appreciate you helping with my bags,” she said politely but with a bit of frost. There was no way she was going to let this star put any kind of distance between her and her husband. “It’s been a long day for both of us. I’m exhausted and I’m sure William is, too.”

“No problem,” Xander said, taking her spot next to Spike. He reached in to help pull the bags out. “After all that’s what friends are for.”

The air was crackling with tension between her and Xander. She took the time to study him as he and Spike figured out how to get all of the luggage up in one trip. They seemed to move in tandem as they stacked the smaller bags on the larger rolling ones. There was no need for instructional words as they worked. Nothing but jokes that she was sure Xander cracked to make sure she felt like an outsider. She was warring on the inside as to whether or not to let it get to her when Spike looked up at her with such tenderness that it chased away her doubts.

“I think we’re ready to roll,” Spike said, grabbing the handle of a bag.

He already had his overnight bag on his shoulder, but he appeared to be completely capable of handling the load. Her eyes raked over his body remembering the feel of his muscles beneath her fingertips. It sent a wave of lust through her that made her wish for them to be alone soon. His kiss on her cheek as he reached for the button to the elevator let her know that he was thinking the same thing she was. She felt his heat all the way to her toes. Nothing could bother her now.

The two men arranged the bags in the elevator when it arrived, leaving her a small space between them to stand. Feeling their eyes on her she stared at the floor while the car whisked its way upwards through the building. The doors parted when they reached the twentieth floor. Buff started to step out but Spike’s hand on her arm prevented her from moving. She looked at him in curiosity but his grin didn’t give anything away.

“Hold on, Mrs. Nagle,” Spike said, with a wink. He pushed his load of luggage out, waited for Xander to do the same before returning to her. “It’s tradition you know,” he whispered as he scooped her up in his arms. “Don’t want to give us any bad luck when we’re only beginning.”

She laughed at his antics. They made her feel loved as he stepped into the hallway. “I thought you were supposed to do this over the threshold, not down the hall.”

“This is the threshold, Luv,” Spike responded, putting her on her feet. “Private elevator. Don’t let me forget to get you a swipe card for it.”

“It would be pretty bad if I couldn’t come home,” Buffy teased in an effort to cover up her ignorance at this lifestyle. She glanced around the ornate entryway that she had assumed was a public corridor. “Show me around?” She asked Spike slipping her hand into his.

“Of course, my lady,” Spike said, pulling her toward the open end of the hallway.

Their luggage was left behind as he steered her toward the living room. The room was large with a lot of open space. The floor was shining oak while the furniture arranged sparsely on it was modern. Too modern for Buffy’s taste as she took in the angular living room set accented with metal. A molded piece of glass stood in front and on the sides giving the illusion of ice. The only thing hinting of warmth in the cavernous room was the fireplace, but even that was chilly with its marble façade. She looked up at the open ceiling that reached to what must be the second floor. Thankfully, Spike didn’t notice her reluctance as he led her into another small room that at least had furniture that was more comfortable for sitting.

“This is the family room,” Spike said, sweeping his arm out then pointed to his right. “The kitchen is through there with a maid’s room on the other side. And no, I don’t have a live in maid.” He turned to smile at her then led her back the other way when she stopped as she looked out the floor to ceiling window.

“Oh, my god, it’s gorgeous,” Buffy said, letting go of his hand before walking over to stand before it. The city lights spread out before her, glowing like stars in the night sky. “I can’t believe this…I’m living here now.” Spike made a grunting sound that had her turning to see if he was all right. “It’s just wow, William, but I didn’t marry you for this.” She giggled, moving closer to him. “I didn’t even know you had it.” She slipped her hand under his shirt allowing her fingers to trail across his warm flesh. “I think it was something else entirely that made me follow you home.”

The next thing she knew she was pressed against the glass wall while he kissed her with so much hunger it made her ache. His hands cupped her ass, pulling her closer against him while his tongue dominated hers with a need that sent heat pooling in her center. All she could think was that this was what it was to belong to someone who wanted her…needed her. The last few months of intense loneliness were only a memory when he held her like this. She understood the aching hunger in his kiss because she felt it, too. Nothing was going to take him away from her. Not even her own silly foolish reactions to the things that were now hers. She would find a way to cope, even to shine, in her role as his wife.

The sound of someone clearing their throat separated them. Spike held her where she was while he looked over his shoulder at Xander. Buffy hid her face in his other shoulder, willing her breathing to slow down. Both she and William were on fire with the kiss that didn’t seem like it would ever end. He kissed her cheek and let his hands move around her waist to hold her close.

“Sorry, mate,” Spike said. “It is our wedding night.”

“That it is,” Xander said. “I went ahead and took your luggage upstairs for you.” He waved his hands. “Didn’t do anything just parked in the middle of the bedroom.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said, stepping out from behind Spike. “I think I would like to freshen up and change clothes if you don’t mind?”

“No, of course not,” Spike said. “Go back through the living room and down the hall. The stairs will be on your left. Turn right upstairs. Bedroom is in the corner. Let me say good night to Xander and I’ll be right up.”

“All right. Thank you again, Xander,” Buffy said, putting her hand out for him to shake. “I really do appreciate your help and am looking forward to getting to know you.”

“No problem,” Xander said, cocking his head before shaking the proffered hand. “It was nice to meet you, too.”

With a last smile at William, Buffy headed in the directions she’d been given. She kept chronicling the things that the house contained. Paintings, sculptures, and she knew they were all original without being told. Someone of William’s stature wouldn’t have anything but the best. She was surprised to find another elevator just to go to the second floor, but in its own way it made sense. On the second floor she noted the bedroom to her left that must be a guest room then a long hallway that ended at the master’s suite. The view here was just as spectacular as the one below with its own terrace outside a set of french doors on the far side of the room. The bed was a steel and leather platform monstrosity that she wrinkled her nose at. Hopefully it was comfortable.

It was going to be heaven to live here, she decided as she searched through her bag to find something more comfortable to put on. Unfortunately, she wasn’t the femme fatale her husband was probably used to so instead she grabbed a pair of comfortable pajamas with a pink tank top and long matching sleep pants. A little more exploring yielded a hallway with a closet on her right and a bathroom on the left, but there were more rooms further down. She put her things on the counter and continued to find out what was down there. Passing a linen closet first, she found another bathroom at the end. This one contained a large tub that made her smile with the thought of future soaks in it. Turning around to leave she realized the shower connected to both bathrooms.

“How convenient,” she whispered to herself. “This is like living in Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.” Giggling, she made her way over to the other door but was surprised to find it lock. “Probably just storage or something,” Buffy told herself before hurrying back to the first bathroom.

It didn’t take her long to change into her pajamas and brush her hair and teeth. She washed her face then decided since William hadn’t joined her she’d go exploring. Slipping into a pair of sandals she set off back downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs she was faced with another shut door, but she could hear William talking to someone. And since Xander was supposed to have left, she figured he must be on the phone. Alone for the moment she headed out to investigate the terrace that stretched out to the left of the penthouse. It was long and rectangular with several sitting areas and a wet bar against the wall. She slipped behind the bar, inspecting the glasses on the enclosed shelves delighting in the fine crystal. The small fridge was stocked and she smiled as she reached for a diet soda.

Buffy headed for the edge of the terrace, leaning against it while taking a sip of her cold drink. She felt good about things. The penthouse wasn’t exactly decorated in a style that was comfortable to her, but she could make do. Maybe one day William would allow her to make some changes that would more suit her. She could make a home for them. Someplace comfortable that would make them both happy and be a little more baby friendly if they got lucky.

“I can see why he found you entrancing,” Xander said, standing behind her. She whirled to find him staring at her.

“I thought you left.”

“Hmm, needed to talk to Spike about a few things,” Xander said, his eyes drifting over her breasts under the tightness of her shirt. “You must be really good in bed to make him marry you though.”

“It’s more than that,” Buffy said, crossing her arms over her front.

“Well, its not love. Not after only what? Two days? You’re young, beautiful and easy, and I’m sure that Spike was an easy catch with all his need to be loved. But you don’t love him, do you?”

“Yes, I do,” Buffy declared without thinking. The words felt right. “I do love him,” she said, with wonder at her own revelation. It gave her a courage she didn’t know she had. “I’m going to do everything I can to make him happy.”

“You see to that,” Xander said, stepping closer to her. “I won’t tolerate anyone is his life that wants to screw him over or make him miserable.”

“You sound jealous.”

“No, protective,” Xander replied, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear in a similar way that Spike did. “He’s bailed my ass out of a lot of trouble and I owe him. Make him happy and there won’t be any problems between us. Okay?”

“Don’t make trouble for us and we’ll be just fine,” Buffy blustered, pulling away from him and putting her chin up.

“Hey, you two,” Spike said, stepping out onto the terrace. “What are you two up to?”

“Just looking at the sights,” Xander said, with a smile. “Learning to be friends. The usual bullshit, man.”

“Good,” Spike said, slipping his arms around Buffy. He kissed her forehead. “Sorry, I was delayed, but I needed to check my messages.”

“Its fine,” Buffy said, leaning against him. “I just did some exploring then came out here.”

“See, she’ll adapt just fine,” Spike said, turning to look at Xander. “She’s a lot tougher than she looks. Believe me, I found that out early enough.”

It seemed that Xander was trying to make trouble for them. When he turned to look at her there wasn’t a hint of embarrassment or remorse in his eyes. Buffy just wondered exactly why he was so adamant about William being alone. If they were friends, shouldn’t Xander want Spike to find love?


To be continued…