The pounding on the door woke Spike up immediately. He looked down, noticing his girl was still sleeping soundly, all nestled against him. All he could think was he must have wore her out on the hotel floor earlier.

"Carpenter!" a male voice called out from the other side of the hotel door. "I know you're in there."

"Better be important," Spike grumbled as he gently dislodged himself from his warm and cozy Buffy blanket.

"Spike," Buffy mumbled in her sleep.

"Go back to sleep, baby," Spike whispered as he kissed her forehead before grabbing his jeans off the floor.

"Carpenter, open this door."

Spike growled when he noticed his girl looked as if she was waking up. He pulled on his jeans and quickly moved toward the door.

"This had bloody well be important," Spike hissed when he threw open the door.

"Where's Buffy?" Hank demanded, ready to kill, seeing the young man standing before him shirtless and his jeans unbuttoned at the top.

"She's sleeping, and I would like it if she stayed that way," Spike replied, his voice carrying a threatening-like tone to it.

"This isn't right," Hand said as he made an attempt to enter the room.

Spike put his hand on the older man's chest and pushed him back into the hallway. "Come back and talk when you're not so pissed," he informed the drunken idiot.

"Why her? Of all the women you could chose from, why her?" Hand asked, wondering what the man saw in the tomboy.

"I will not discuss her with you like this," Spike answered, his voice harsh. "Now go and leave us alone. But I will give you this advice, mate- don't fuck with her, she's mine."

Hank, even as drunk as he was knew, he had crossed a line here tonight. "I hope she is worth it," was all he said.

"She is," Spike replied, fighting the urge to ram his fist into this bastard's face. "So leave."

Hank turned around and walked away, muttering under his breathe how someone was going to pay for this.

Spike watched until he was sure the man was not returning before he stepped back into their room and shut the door. He reached up and did something he'd never done before as he put the door chain securely in place, giving him that feeling of extra security.

He walked over to the bed and let his eyes drink in his sleeping beauty. He thanked the Powers That Be for letting her sleep through her bastard of a father's deplorable behavior.

"Don't worry, princess, you won't be going back to that house except to collect your things," Spike promised as he again removed his jeans and rejoined his girl back in their bed.

He smiled a smile of contentment when even in her, sleep she would seek him out. The way she cuddled to him in slumber reinforced his belief she was his. He vowed to keep her safe from harm. Even if it meant protecting her from her asshole of a father.

*******

Maggie sat at the kitchen table and continued to stare out the window. Normally, she was making a big breakfast since it was racing day. Everyone would sit around and grumble. Faith and Dawn would gripe about having to go to the track. Hank would explain why they needed to learn the business since one day it would be theirs to run. Buffy would quietly sit and nibble on her food and keep to herself.

She knew she had failed Joyce in the worst way, not by stealing her husband away. No, it had to do with her treatment of Buffy. She should have made more of an effort to include the girl as family. Unlike Hank, Buffy reminded her what sins she committed, thus keeping her at a distance and not letting her inside her heart.

Last night, as she poured her heart out to Kate, she had come to realize why she treated Buffy the way she did. Kate also helped her realize how she had let Hank's treatment of Buffy to go unchallenged, as well. That she had let Hank put their girls above Buffy, thus contributing to what was happening right now. The only difference is she was ready to make it up to the girl, if she'd let her.

"Are you okay?" Dawn asked from the doorway, having noticed how sad her mom looked.

Maggie looked at her youngest and new it would be easier dealing with Dawn first. She had a feeling that Dawn did not dislike Buffy the way Faith did. That her youngest only fed off what she was seeing.

"No, Dawn, I'm not," Maggie said, deciding to be honest and tell her everything.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dawn asked, hoping her mother would open up and tell her everything and not try and cover them with more lies.

"Yes, I do," Maggie replied. "I need to tell you about how me and your father met."

Dawn smiled, knowing she was about to learn the truth concerning the triangle of her parents and Buffy's mother. She also knew that after today, her and her mother would be closer as well.

Maggie pointed at the chair across from her. "Come, have a seat, and let's have a heart-to-heart, shall we?"

"I would love to," Dawn replied as she took the seat and prepared to learn that her parents were not the prefect people she had once believed them to be.

Maggie prayed that when she was done, she ended up not losing her youngest daughter. She decided she’d start off telling her how she and Joyce had become best friends in college. How Joyce one summer vacation had met a young race car driver and gave up her dreams to become his wife. That they had never seen each other again but had kept in touch with letters and cards. Until one day she met the man that stole her heart, only to find out he was married to her one time best friend.

By the time she was done explaining, they both were crying. Dawn could not understand how her father could blame Buffy for all of this mess. She was both disappointed and proud of her mother, hearing how she wanted to try and make it up to Buffy. She told her mom about how she ended up helping Anya and Willow in the Buffy makeover.

*******

"I need to go home and change clothes before going to the track," Buffy explained as she sat in bed and let Spike feed her grapes off his plate.

"And I said I will take you," Spike insisted, not about to let her face that maniac of a father alone.

"Why are you being all protective and possessive all of a sudden?" Buffy asked, having noticed how tense he had become when she had mentioned going home.

"Buffy, your father came to visit late last night," Spike decided to tell her exactly what happened. "I'll be honest, luv, I don't like the man."

"He came here, and you didn't wake me up?" Buffy asked, feeling embarrassed her father had come here looking for her. It didn't help that he had left such a bad impression with Spike. "What did he say?"

Spike went on to tell her what occurred. "I mean it, baby, you are not going back there unless I’m with you."

Buffy's eyes filled with tears as she told him what happened after he had dropped her off yesterday before going out with the girls. "I guess I will need to find a place to live."

"You have a place, right here. You are not going back to live there, Buffy. I don't want you around him," Spike answered, placing his index finger over her lips to stop her response. "This will not interfere with business unless Hank lets it. He will have to learn to accept that I'm with you, and only you."

"Okay," she said when he removed his finger. "How long were you planning on staying in Sunnydale?"

"Was planning just the weekend, that is, until this sexy little bird came into my life," Spike said, giving her a wink. "So I guess I'm going to be looking for something more permanent."

"Really, a bachelor pad?" she teased.

"Nope, thought we could look for something together that we'd both like," Spike offered, hoping she'd move in with him.

"Spike, don't you think we are moving too fast?" she asked.

"No, I don't," he replied. "I know what I want here, and it's not some fly-by-night little fling we are having."

"I know, I feel the same way," Buffy reassured him. "I just wanted to make sure you were not having second thoughts."

Spike wished he could gather all the people responsible to make her feel so unsure of her worth and low self-esteem. He would stake them in the heart for causing his girl so much pain and self-doubt.

"Baby, no second thoughts about us. Maybe a few five or six on what position to introduce you to next, is all," Spike teased as he wiggled his eyebrows and gave her a playful leer.

"You are my one and only favorite perv, just so you know," Buffy said as she got out of the bed. Earlier, she had put on one of Spike's tee shirts, not as comfortable as someone else in the room with nudity.

"Where do you think you are going, woman, with my shirt?" Spike playfully demanded.

Buffy laughed. "I need to shower and get home and change, honey."

Spike's smile when he heard her call him honey made her heart flutter in her chest. "I like that."

She just blew him a kiss, knowing he was thanking her for the endearment she used. "I need to get to the garage and make sure everything is ready today. Normally, I've been there for a couple hours already."

"Okay, shower, and off we go," Spike replied, knowing this shower would not have the extras their previous showers had. "No foreplay, luv, sorry."

Buffy's eyes grew wide at what he implied. "We don't have much time."

"Don't worry, kitten. We'll come out clean as a whistle and well-satisfied and ready to face the day," Spike told her as he jumped off the bed and chased her into the bathroom.

*******

Spike stood in the doorway of the Summers home and waited as Buffy ran back up to her room. She said she had forgotten something and would be right back. Maggie and Dawn had greeted him with welcoming smiles. Buffy had been shocked when Maggie had hugged her close and encouraged her to follow her heart.

Then the woman had surprised him when she had threatened bodily harm if he did anything to hurt Buffy in any way, shape, or form. The same occurred when he had a few minutes alone with Dawn. She had promised she would find a way to hurt him, mumbling something about being asleep and waking up on fire.

Buffy had packed just the essentials she would need until they found a place of their own. On the way over, he had convinced her to move in with him. When she agreed, he had pulled the car over to the side of the road. He then pulled her onto his lap and kissed her like there was no tomorrow.

He was lost in his thoughts when he heard raised voices coming from upstairs at same time the front door was opening and Hank Summers was walking through. Both men tried to stare the other down, neither one succeeding.

"Go ahead, bitch, and leave. No one wants you here, anyway." Faith's voice could be heard since she was yelling. "It's all your fault Dad's left. Maybe if you leave, he might come back."

Buffy walked away and was at the head of the stairs by the time Faith had finished her hateful little rant. She turned toward the older girl and replied. "You can't blame me for him being an ass and leaving. He can't continue to blame me for being born since he played an important part in it, as well."

"Get the fuck out, and I don't ever want to see you again," Faith growled as she reached out and slapped her now bleached blonde sister.

Neither girl was paying attention to how close to the stairs they were standing. Buffy reeled from the hit and lost her balance. Everyone down on the first floor had seen what was about to happen but was powerless to stop it.

Spike screamed as he watched his girl lose her balance and fall, "NO!"

Hank joined Spike as they ran toward the stairway as Buffy toppled down. The sound of her body hitting the wood made everyone cringe. Hank Summers for once felt fear for his middle daughter’s safety enter his thoughts.

Faith stood at the top of the stairs, feeling like everything was going in slow motion. She stood in shock as she watched her sister's body continue to bounce as she rolled down the steps. She prayed Buffy would be okay- she never wanted this to happen, not really.

Spike was able to get to the bottom of the stairs and catch his girl before she hit the bottom. He carefully assisted her to the floor, looking her over and praying she was okay. His sighed his relief when he noticed her frightened expression gazing back at him.

"It's okay, luv, I have you." He carefully stroked her hair back off her face. "Take a deep breath and tell me what hurts."

"Buffy, honey, are you okay?" Hank asked as he kneeled next to his daughter, taking one of her hands in his.

Buffy closed her eyes as she tried to gather her thoughts to answer both their questions. When she opened her eyes, she noticed that she now could see Maggie and Dawn's worried faces, as well.

"I'm okay, I think. My head hurts, and my right shoulder hurts right now," Buffy answered as she looked into Spike's worried blue eyes. "Nothing feels broken."

"Good, baby," Spike cooed as he gently assisted her to sit up, moving so he could sit behind her and help prop her up. "Take it slow and easy, luv. I've got you."

"Buffy, does your neck hurt?" Hank asked as he gently started to examine her neck.

"No, just the side of my head here," she said, taking his hand so he could feel the small lump forming on the right side of her head.

"I think we should still take you to the hospital to be checked out," Hank suggested.

"No, I'm fine, Dad. Just a little shook up, is all," Buffy reassured them as she rolled her shoulders and stretched out her right arm without difficulty. "I'm sure I will be really sore tomorrow."

"I will get an ice pack," Maggie said as she went into the kitchen to get one, taking Dawn with her.

Hank looked up and noticed Faith standing there in shock. "Faith, she's okay."

Faith looked at her father and started to cry. "I didn't mean to make her fall, Daddy, I swear."

"I know, sweetheart." Hank said, to his eldest as he leaned in and shocked Buffy when he kissed her on the head before standing to take the stairs to take care of his distraught oldest child.

"Are you sure, baby, you are okay?" Spike asked as he pulled her closer to him. "I was so scared, kitten."

"Spike, I'm fine," Buffy replied as she leaned back against him. "Will you help me stand?"

"Sure, baby," Spike answered as he reluctantly stood and then assisted her to stand.

Buffy was surprised she was not feeling more pain upon standing. "I'm okay, no broken bones."

"Good, cause I would hate to have to kill your sister," Spike snarled as he hugged her close. "I love you, baby, and that was too close for comfort."

"I love you, too, and it wasn’t only Faith's fault, but mine, too," Buffy explained, accepting some of the responsibility as well. She should have known better than being so close to the stairs and not paying attention.

Hank helped Faith down the stairs. She looked over and noticed how protective Spike was holding Buffy. She caught her sister's eye and apologized. "I'm sorry I let my temper get the better of me. I swear I didn't mean for you to fall."

Buffy could tell by the expression on her sister's face she was telling her the truth. "Its okay, Faith. We both got caught up in the heat of the moment."

Spike avoided looking at the woman, for he was not feeling so forgiving. He wanted to reach over and smack the stupid bint that had caused his girl's fall.

"Buffy, I think you should rest today. Stay away from the track," Hank suggested. "I'm sure Xander and the guys can handle it today without you."

"I, for once, agree with your dad, pet," Spike offered his two cents as well. "You can rest and let me take care of you."

Buffy was about to refuse until she started to feel some of her muscles start to tighten up. "I think you guys are right."

"This time I will have to agree," Maggie said as she came out of the kitchen with two ice packs. "One for your head, the other for your shoulder."

"Thanks, Maggie," Buffy said as she took one ice pack and placed it on the side of her head while Spike took the other one and gently applied it to her shoulder.

"Here you go," Dawn said as she brought up the rear, bearing a glass of water and a couple Motrin tablets. "Take these now, and maybe you won't hurt so much later."

Buffy said "Thanks" while taking the glass of water and pills from her sister.

Hank walked over and reached out to touch her but dropped his hand when noticed her flinch. "When you feel up to it, I think we should make the time to really talk," he said quietly.

Buffy looked up at her father and nodded her head yes, agreeing they did. She just didn't have anything to say to him at the moment. She was surprised at the concern he had shown when she had fallen.

"You know how to find her," Spike told him as he took the glass of water out of his girl's hand and gave it back to Dawn. "Right now, I'm going to take her home and give her another look-see."

"You act like I'm a child," Buffy said, getting a little defensive.

"You’re no child, pet," Spike said, giving her a meaningful look that told her his thoughts of her being a child was very far from the truth.

Maggie came up and gave Buffy the bottle of Motrin, saying, "You gave us quite a scare, Missy, so let him make sure for himself you are really okay."

Buffy smiled at Maggie, knowing she was giving some sound advice. Then she let Spike take her hand and start to lead her out of the house.

"Buffy," Hank called out, causing her to turn and look at him.

"Yes?"

"I like what you've done to your hair," Hank said, hoping she would take it as a peace offering of such. "It really does bring out your eyes."

Buffy stood wide-eyed as she stared at her father, asking, "What have you done with Hank Summers?"

"Let's just say he did some self-evaluating and found he was lacking in a few very important areas," Hank replied, hoping she gave him a chance to tell her how sorry he was.

"Then I guess we do have some things to talk about," Buffy said, giving him a brief smile.

"That's more than I deserve," Hank replied.

Spike snorted as he was about to tell him just how right he was. He didn't deserve a second chance, as far as he was concerned. His comment was a grunt instead when his girl elbowed him in the stomach.

"Not now," Buffy whispered, knowing Spike was about to say something rude.

"Fine," Spike said but gave Hank a look that told the older man everything the younger man was thinking.

"I will call and check on you later, after we clean up after the race," Hank said. His respect for Spike grew as he watched how the Brit treated his daughter with love and respect.

"That would be great," Buffy encouraged, hoping maybe they could move on and find the father and daughter relationship she had dreamed of all her life.

"For some reason, I'm thinking it just might be," Hank reassured her as he watched her leave with the man that would now be taking care of his daughter.

"It would seem you don't hate her anymore." Maggie said, watching the pain flash in her husband's eyes briefly.

"I had time to really think about some things, and the tumble she took knocked down a few more walls as well," Hank replied, knowing he and his wife had a lot to talk about tonight.

"I really didn't want her to fall," Faith said.

"I know, honey, it was an accident," Maggie reassured her daughter, but had seen the look on Spike's face and warned her, "But I would avoid Spike Carpenter for awhile until he puts this behind him."

Faith nodded her head as she reached over and hugged her father. "I'm glad you came home."

"I should never had left," Hank said as he returned the hug.

Dawn smiled as she moved to embrace both her father and sister, with Maggie joining the family hug. They knew they had to get ready to go but knew they needed this moment of healing as well. Maggie knew it was a long shot, but she hoped one day Buffy would be included as well.

*******

Giles noticed the grimace on Buffy's face. Feeling concerned, he asked, "Buffy, dear, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Giles, just took a little trip down a couple stairs," Buffy said as she gave Spike a look that told him not to say anything.

"Has she seen a doctor?" Giles questioned Spike.

"Says she doesn’t need one," Spike muttered, trying to keep his anger under control. The more it flashed in his mind, the angrier he would become.

"You should get checked out, make sure," Giles suggested, wanting nothing to happen to her.

"Honest, I'm fine. In a couple days, I won't even feel any pain," Buffy reassured him.

"You will promise to see a doctor if you start to feel worse," Giles pleaded, feeling concerned that she might be overlooking something.

"I promise," she said, wondering where this overprotective part of Spike's stepfather was coming from.

Spike understood exactly where Rupert was coming from. "Don't worry, Da. I will make sure she is seen if she starts to feel any worse than she does now."

Giles' body visibly relaxed at Spike's words. "Alright, then, enough of my ramblings then."

"I appreciate your ramblings,” Buffy replied as she reached up and kissed his cheek. "It tells me that you care."

Giles blushed as he took off his glasses and started to clean them. "It's very easy to care."

Now it was Buffy's turn to blush, for she didn't know what to say to that really. In the last couple days, she had more compliments given to her than most of her whole life.

"Call me later, and we will see about dinner," Spike said as he took his girl by the hand to take her into their room and settle her. Then he would get a porter or two to help unpack his car.

"Are you not going to the race today?" Giles asked.

"No, going to be the day of pampering my favorite little klutz here," Spike dramatically sighed, as if this was the hardest thing he'd ever done. "Daddy dearest gave her the day off, understandably so."

Giles was perceptive to the sarcasm in Spike's last statement but let it go upon witnessing Buffy's little glare and nudge of the elbow to his stepson's side.

"Well, I will discuss with your mother plans for dinner and give you a ring later on," Giles said just before he thought of a better idea. "Or you could call us when you are done pampering our Buffy here."

"Right, I will give you a call," Spike winked as he waved goodbye and used his arm that was wrapped around her waist to lead his girl to the elevator.

"Spike, please don't tell them what happened today?" Buffy asked when the door to the elevator closed.

"What will you give me if I keep my mouth shut?" Spike teased her.

"What do you want?" Buffy decided to play his little game and see where it led.

"Hmm, there's a lot I want from you, my pretty," Spike said with a little cackle to his voice. "Can I think about it and get back to you?"

"As long as you keep your mouth shut," Buffy threatened.

"I know a way you can keep it busy and otherwise occupied," Spike suggested, giving her a seductive glance.

"I guess I could order room service," Buffy giggled.

"Sorry, luv, it's not on the hotel menu," Spike sighed as the elevator door opened on their floor.

"No? Then where would I find it?" she asked, curious where this was leading as she followed him out of the elevator and down the hall, toward their room.

"No, kitten," Spike chuckled. "What my mouth craves can only be found on the Buffy menu."

Buffy blushed as she finally understood where he was going with his innuendos. "So, you think my menu would keep you occupied long enough until you decided your payment for keeping quiet was paid in full?"

"More than enough, baby. I would be looking at appetizer, main course, dessert, and then a little after-dinner cocktail," Spike said, giving her his cocky smile as he pulled out the key and opened the door.

"Tempting offer." Buffy pretended to think it over as she walked over and sat down on the bed.

"First, rest for you while I get your things out of the car," Spike informed her as he pushed her back onto the bed. "Then we can continue negotiating."

"I told you I can help," she told him, feeling frustrated.

"Buffy, for once in your life, let someone take care of you," Spike pleaded. "Let me take care of you. If it was me instead, I would let you take care of me."

Buffy nodded her head, feeling the tears gather in her eyes as she said, "Just remember this when it's my turn."

"You bet I will remember this." Spike reached down and removed her shoes and then leaned down and kissed her tempting lips. "Rest, I will be back as soon as I can."

"Love you," Buffy whispered against his lips.

"Love you back," he replied, giving her lips a swift peck before pulling away. "Back in a jiffy, luv."

Buffy watched him hurry out the door, wondering what she had done to deserve such a man. She was sure she was going to spend her life working on cars and watching everyone else find love and live happily ever after.

******

Angel kept watching for Buffy. It was unusual for him to arrive at the garage and she not all ready be here. He just needed to see her and find out if Hank had broke her and Spike up.

"Hey, Ozzie and Harriet," Angel called out to Oz and Xander. "Where's Beaverette?"

Oz's expression never changed as he looked at his best friend. The last thing he was doing was telling O'Connor anything about Buffy.

Xander gave Oz a mocking look as he sarcastically asked him, "Oz, honey, did you hear anything?"

Oz patted Xander on the arm and shook his head no. "I didn't think so," Xander replied.

Angel was about to ask them again where Buffy was when Hank walked in the garage. "Angel, there you are."

"Hey, Hank," Angel replied. "Where's her Royal Highness?"

Hank fought the urge to tell the young man a thing or two. His opinion of his lead driver changed once he sat down and talked to Harris. "Buffy is taking the day off."

"Really, how interesting," Angel commented, wondering if she was home crying over her break up with Spike.

"Yes, she took a fall, and Spike is taking care of her," Hank said as he turned to Harris and asked, "So, all the cars are ready to go?" He didn't see the anger that fleeted briefly in Angel's eyes, but Oz did.

Angel bit his lip to keep from telling Hank how that was a mistake. How was he going seduce her while she was grieving her and Captain Peroxide's breakup if they haven't broken up?

"Yep, ready, set, and go," Xander told him.

"Good, good," Hank rambled. "I think you both deserve a bonus for the excellent work this weekend."

"Really?" Xander asked, the surprise noted in his voice and in Oz's wide-eyed expression.

"Yes, you will see it in your check. I want you to know I really do appreciate the hard work you do here." Hank smiled his appreciation.

"Wow, thanks, Mr. Summers," Xander said, thinking how it would come in handy since he found the house he and Anya wanted, and the extra cash would help with the down payment.

"Thanks," Oz said, wondering what had come over the man.

"Welcome," Hank said as he turned to his lead driver. "Angel, cross that finish line first."

"You know me, Hank," Angel bragged. "I won't settle for anything less."

"Good,” Hank replied as he wondered to himself what the young man was going to say when they talked tomorrow. He was sure the man was not going to be happy.

Oz watched as Hank, and then Angel, left the garage before he turned around to express his fear to Xander. "I think Angel means to cause Buffy trouble."

Harris quickly turned to look Oz in the face. "Spill."

"Angel asked about Buffy," was all he had to say for Xander to get his point.

"Anya says Buffy looks hot," Xander said as he gave his friend a worried look. "Do you think Mr. Can't Keep It In His Pants got a look at the new Buffy and wants in her coverall's now?"

Oz just nodded his head yes, knowing it was exactly what had happened. Willow had told him her concerns about their run in with Harmony and Riley and how too interested Riley had been in Buffy's new look.

"Well, we will have to give the Buffster a warning," Xander said as he glared at the door that O'Connor walked out of. Neither man noticed Angel's very angry wife standing off to the side. "But then I'm sure Spike will be able to handle Captain Dickhead."

*******