Spike walked around the outside of the garage and noticed the different cars parked in various places. The first thing he noticed was how organized it looked from the outside but knew it was more important what it looked like on the inside that could make or break a race driver’s career. A talented driver was only as good as the people who put their best into the car he drove.

He noticed a young man with burnt orange hair standing still, listening to a tall male who appeared agitated, waving his hands around. The next thing he noticed was a tiny bit of a girl with brown hair in a ponytail and dressed in dirty coveralls come out of the garage, making a bee line directly toward the two men. He recognized the tall broody man as Angel O'Connor.

"Angel, what the hell were you doing?" the petite ball of fire was yelling. "Can't you learn to drive and not destroy the damn car every time you get behind the wheel?"

"I can't help it if you people can't do the job right the first time," Angel yelled back as he glared at the other man that was dressed in coveralls with the orange hair. "If wolf boy knew what the hell he was doing, I wouldn't have to keep bringing the car back to get fixed."

"I'm sorry, tell it to someone who believes the shit that comes out of your mouth," Buffy said as she returned his glare with one of her own. "As for Oz here, doing his job, let me just say he does his- YOU don't do yours."

Angel leaned down into her face, spit hitting her as he spoke. "Don't make me go to Hank and report your ass, bitch."

Buffy laughed as she lied, "Go cry to Hank, see if I care. He will just pat you on the back and say you just worry about the driving and leave car care to the ones that know what they are doing." She knew that Hank would be in her face telling her she again crossed the line in telling Angel the truth- he was a bull in a china shop when it came to abusing his car.

"I guess we will see about that, won't we?" Angel hissed right before he turned, storming away to find Hank and complain about Buffy and her crossing the line again.

Spike smiled as he watched the big bad man stalk away in a huff. He knew then and there that working here was going to be a very interesting adventure. First, he wanted to meet the little demon that just stood up to O'Connor. She reminded him of the man who worked for him as his crew boss when he was racing. Clem Rogers was everything a driver would want in the man who held your life in his hands.

Spike applauded as he moved toward the remaining two people. "Great show, is there a repeat performance, or a matinee?"

Buffy and Oz looked over and noticed for the first time they had an audience. "Not till the next time he thinks he is racing his car but is taking it for a death spin," Buffy replied, recognizing who the man was clapping his hands. "Welcome to Sunnydale Summertime Racetrack, Mr. Carpenter."

Spike looked at the young girl that by the looks of her was no older than maybe seventeen years old. He could not believe a girl was here working in the garage, with grease on her face and a baggy pair of coveralls on. From what he could see under all the grime, there was nothing spectacular about her looks that would have made him look twice if he had not seen her stand up and face Captain Forehead just now.

"Well, pet, seems I'm at a disadvantage. You know me, but I haven't a clue to who you are?" Spike asked as he gave her a soft smile at the same time he held out his hand.

Buffy looked down at her greasy hands and then back at him, not wanting to shake his hand with her dirty one. "The name is Buffy Summers, and this here is Oz. We will hold off on the handshake, if you don't mind," she stated as she gave him an apologetic smile in return.

"Rain check then," Spike replied.

"Sure," Oz said as he looked back at Buffy and tilted his head toward the garage.

Buffy was well-versed in Oz communications and smiled at him, giving him permission to leave. "We'll talk later on how to fix Angel's mess."

Oz nodded at Buffy before giving Spike a nod and a, "Nice to meet you", as he headed back into the garage. He knew that Hank would be down here soon giving Buffy a lecture and telling everyone, whether they wanted to hear it or not, about how Angel was God-like and she shouldn't talk to him like she does.

"Strong silent type, I gather?" Spike asked as he nodded toward Oz's back.

"Yep, speaks only when necessary and when he has something meaningful to say," Buffy giggled. "That's our Oz for you."

"And you, do you always yell at Peaches that way?" Spike asked. He recognized her name and knew she was Hank Summers' middle daughter.

"Sorry you overheard that," Buffy apologized, looking embarrassed. "I guess I should pay closer attention to who is standing around before I lose my temper like that."

"Oh, I don't know, it was rather entertaining," Spike chuckled. "If you were a boy, then I'd call you David and Peaches would be Goliath."

Buffy laughed as she looked at the man before her more closely. He was far better-looking in person than on TV or in any magazine photo she had seen. She had watched his short career and had rooted for him in every race. He was the underdog, the one no one believed could pull it off, and she always backed the fellow underdog. "So, what brings you to our fine piece of racing heaven?"

"Just checking out the place." Spike shrugged.

"Looking to get back into racing again?" Buffy asked, wondering if he was checking out racing for them for some odd reason.

"Nope, don't do that anymore. Promised a girl I would stop risking my life," Spike told her without realizing at first how much he had shared with this stranger.

"Hell, life is full of risks. Just try and stand in front of the coffee pot in the morning when the guys first arrive to work," Buffy said, thinking to herself this girl must mean a great deal to him. "She must be very special for you to stop racing for her," she said, assuming the woman was his girlfriend.

"Yeah, she is special in many ways," Spike replied as he tilted his head to the side. He noticed her bright green eyes that had a sparkle that touched him for some reason. "She's my sister." He thought it important to clarify that fact.

"Oh," Buffy said as she blushed, feeling like he'd just read her mind since she was thinking the girl was anything but family. "I bet you miss it really bad."

Spike smiled as he again felt a connection with this chit of a girl, causing him to reply honestly. "Yeah, I do, I miss it a lot."

"Well, you could always test drive for us sometime." Buffy offered an understanding smile when she noticed the look on his face when he overheard the gunning of an engine inside the garage. "Come on in, and I'll show you around."

"I would love that, pet." Spike's smile reached her eyes as he said this, causing her heart to skip a beat as she turned to lead the way inside.

He followed behind, wishing she wasn't wearing the unflattering gray coveralls. Something told him he'd like the package underneath the material.

Spike loved the smell of the garage, and his smile grew larger as he entered the building. He looked over and noticed the man he'd met earlier, Oz, was talking with a dark-haired man who was shaking his head in a negative way, side to side. "So, does your Da run the place, or does he have a manager?"

Buffy stopped as she noticed Xander looking more than just a little upset when she heard his question and replied. "Oh, Xander Harris manages the garage."

Spike noticed her look of concern as she continued to watch the two men over at a supercharged black stock car painted with the logo for Black and Ale brewery on the hood and the name Redemption along the driver's door. "So, looks like the boys are not happy with Peaches at the moment."

Buffy looked over at the blonde with a questioning look before she asked, "Why do you call him Peaches?"

"Maybe one day you and me will get to know each other well enough to share that information." Spike winked as he took his time looking over the garage, happy with how well it was organized.

The couple jumped when they heard Xander shout, "Why doesn't he just dump the engine in the middle of the track and just let us build him a new one? He is a fucking idiot."

"Excuse me a moment," Buffy said as she looked up at him with an apologetic look on her face.

"Understand, luv." Spike gave her an understanding look. "Mind if I look around a bit?"

"Sure, any questions, you know where to find me," Buffy replied.

"That I do, pet, that I do." Spike watched as she walked to join her co-workers, biting his lower lip, letting his eyes wonder about her body, again wishing he could see her in a nice tight pair of leather pants and a deep red halter. He felt a sudden twitch between his legs and shook his thoughts away from something he was not sure he should be thinking.

~~~~~~~

Hank was just saying goodbye to his potential partner when Angel stormed into the office, yelling, "Hank, you have to do something about that bitch. She should not be allowed to talk to me like she does." Summers knew right away his daughter had overstepped her bounds again. He told her repeatedly to bring any issues she had about Angel and his car to him, and he would deal with the man.

"Angel O' Connor, this is Rupert Giles and Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. They are looking to invest in the racetrack," Hank said as he sent his best driver a hard look, making the young man stop in his tracks and notice for the first time they were not alone.

"Sorry about that," Angel offered in a way of apologizing for his entrance.

"How about you have a seat in my office while I see my guests out?" Hank firmly suggested as he nodded toward the office. "I'll be right back."

Angel smiled easily as he turned to the two men who had yet to say a word, giving them the full Angel charm as he said, "Nice meeting you."

"Same here," Rupert said as he offered up his patented business smile.

Wesley knew his place and kept quiet, knowing Hank Summers was going to need to make some decisions about the reckless man he currently used as his lead driver. "Be sure to read carefully, and again, remember there is always room for negotiations," Wes stressed to make sure the man did not feel like they wanted to run the whole deal.

"I will, and I have the numbers to call if I have any questions," Hank reaffirmed as he felt a touch of worry enter his thoughts concerning this deal.

"Then we will wait to hear from you," Giles stated smiling as he took the hand that was offered to him.

"Will Spike be interested in looking the track over anytime soon?" Hank asked, thinking to himself he'd make sure his eldest Faith would be around. The one thing he would love was to get her settled down in a nice steady relationship with a nice young man. It would in fact kill two birds with one stone, making the partnership tighter if the two became a married couple.

"He was looking around as we spoke, not wanting any special treatment or publicity at the moment," Giles informed the owner, wondering what the young man had found on his personal inspection.

Hank hid his anger well, not liking the idea that Spike Carpenter had been walking around inspecting the place on his own. He prayed that the man had not witnessed any of his middle child's treatment of his lead driver. "Understand, and not a problem."

"Good, we were worried you would be upset, and rightly so," Giles said, not believing the man was not upset with Spike inspecting the racetrack. "It was a spur of the moment decision he made to come, and then he just needed to look around."

"I'm sure he misses the action, and the smell that only a driver would appreciate," Hank said, understanding some of how that went. It was reason he had settled down and took over the racetrack from his wife's father before he died.

"I will wait for your call then." Giles looked over at Wesley. "I think it's time to give Spike a call so he can meet us back at the car."

Wesley pulled out his cell phone and hit the speed dial that belonged to one Spike Carpenter. "Mr. Carpenter, we are ready to depart."

"Wes, call me Spike. You make me as old as Rupert, calling me Mr. Carpenter," Spike said. He hated it when Wesley got all professional on him like this.

"Yes, sir, we are walking out of the office as we speak," Wesley smiled, trying not to laugh.

"So, the Old Man is standing close is he?" Spike snickered as he made a decision. "Well, go ahead and leave without me. I'll cab it home."

"I will let Mr. Giles know." Wesley managed to keep his curiosity out of his voice.

"You do that, message man," Spike chuckled as he hung up the phone and continued looking around the garage, letting his eyes settle on what had caught his attention. He knew without a doubt he wanted to get to know Buffy Summers better.

Giles followed his legal, financial counsel and friend out the door and asked, "Care to tell me what Spike said that made you smile?"

"I would rather not. You know you always get me in trouble using your power over me to make me talk," Wesley simply said, unable to keep from smiling. "But he did say to leave without him, and he'd find his way back to the hotel."

"Oh, I wonder what he found," Giles wondered out loud. He could not help but wonder if Spike had found something that would prevent them from closing this deal.

"I guess we will find out when decides to grace us again with his presence," Wesley said as he shrugged. Not only did he work for Giles, but Spike was a good friend and godfather to his and Fred's one-year-old daughter Lilah.

~~~~~~~

"So, any chance you could show me around and give me the VIP tour?" Spike asked as he came to stand beside Buffy as she and the others tried to figure out how to put Angel's car back together again.

"I'm not sure if I'm going to have the time," Buffy answered as she looked over at Spike with a frown on her face.

"Go ahead, Buffy, we have this covered." Xander told her. "By the way, I'm Xander Harris, the fake garage manager here at the Hellmouth." The dark-haired man introduced himself to the famous Grand Prix winner.

Spike laughed at the man's sense of humor and liked him right away as he held out his hand and replied, "Great to meet you, mate, and did you say fake manager?"

"Yep, no one really listens to me anyway," Xander said with a laugh as he returned the handshake before looking over at Buffy. "I think me and Oz can cover this for now. Go and show Speed Racer here where he can spin his wheels."

"If you're sure?" Buffy asked, making sure both of them were okay with this.

"Bye, Buffy." Oz's voice traveled out from under the car.

"Okay, will check back you later." Buffy offered up with a smile that knocked both men to their proverbial knees.

Xander had never seen her smile so pretty and noticed that Captain Peroxide had noticed it as well. He could not help but wonder if it was because of Spike that she unearthed that breathtaking smile.

Buffy shrugged and then looked over at Spike, smiling a wicked smile as she said, "Follow me, Speed Racer."

"I'll give you Speed Racer one day," Spike purred. The innuendo was not missed by either Xander or Oz, and not by Buffy as well if you judged her by the way she was blushing.

Xander watched as the couple walked away and was surprised to see that Spike was watching Buffy's butt. "I think someone is interested in our Buffy," Xander said to no one in particular.

Buffy planned to stop off in the bathroom and wash the grease off her face and hands. It felt odd that she was worried about her appearance. It wasn’t like he was interested in her as a woman, but as a tour guide.

Oz slid out from under the car and watched the couple as well, all the time thinking to himself it was about time someone noticed the woman that was Buffy. "Yep."

"I'm not sure he's good for her. He has a history of a lot of women, drinking, and rough housing when he ran the circuit," Xander said as he gave Oz a worried look. "I'm not sure I want to see her hurt like Riley hurt her."

"Nope," Oz agreed, but he also felt that it was up to Buffy and Spike and no one else.

"I can see what you mean." Xander sighed. "We just need to be there if things go wrong- let her live her own life and just support her like best friends should."

Oz’s usual deadpan look changed as he offered Xander a quirky smile and replied, "Yep."

"Thanks, Oz, for being there, man. You are just so good with verbal communication- you should get into public speaking," Xander told him as he rolled his eyes.

Oz just shrugged his shoulders and returned to his place under the car to begin to figure out how they were going to fix this array of problems before Sunday's race.

"Yeah, I know. Hank is going to be up our ass to get this done by Sunday," Xander said as he frowned, knowing Anya was going to kill him because of the overtime he was going to have to put in over the next couple of days.

"Yep." Oz figured he'd give Willow a call on his next break and let her know he was not going to be home on time tonight. He and Harris began to put together a plan on how best to try and get The Redemption ready for the race.

~~~~~~~