Chapter 4 If Your Not The One

“What can I do for you, Sweet cakes?” Lorne asked with a bright smile.

“You can start by not calling me Sweet cakes.” Spike replied with a scowl on his face. “I’d like to look at the song book.”

“Well now, are you gonna serenade your girl?” Lorne inquired whilst handing the book to Spike.

“Something like that, yeah.” Spike flipped through the book, trying to find something decent to sing. However nothing was there that he liked. “Do you have any recent stuff?”

Lorne handed Spike another book. The Vampire flicked through this one then stopped suddenly.

“Bingo” He murmured. He climbed up on stage and took hold of the microphone.

“Names Spike and this is for a girl I know.” Buffy looked up and smiled when she saw the twinkle in Spike’s eye.

Spike took a deep, unneeded breath then punched in the numbers on the machine.


If you're not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?
If you're not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?
If you are not mine then why does your heart return my call
If you are not mine would I have the strength to stand at all


Buffy smiled when she heard his voice. She knew he could sing well and it made her heart swell.


I never know what the future brings
But I know you are here with me now
We'll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?


God, it was so true. The words were being drummed into Buffy and there was nothing she could do but admit it. She had never felt this way about anyone, not even Angel. But it was so wrong, yet it felt so right.


If I don't need you then why am I crying on my bed?
If I don't need you then why does your name resound in my head?
If you're not for me then why does this distance maim my life?
If you're not for me then why do I dream of you as my wife?


Buffy’s eyes widened when she heard that word, Wife. * It’s just a song Buffy, he doesn’t mean it.* But god, she wanted him to.


I don't know why you're so far away
But I know that this much is true
We'll make it through
And I hope you are the one I share my life with
And I wish that you could be the one I die with
And I pray that you're the one I build my home with
I hope I love you all my life

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am
Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?


She wanted to scream at him. Tell him he could stay in her arms forever. She could feel the gang’s eyes on her but she didn’t care. Her eye’s stayed on Spike and the smile never left her face.


'Cause I miss you, body and soul so strong that it takes my breath away
And I breathe you into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today
'Cause I love you, whether it's wrong or right
And though I can't be with you tonight
You know my heart is by your side

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am
Is there any way that I can stay in you arms?


As the song finished, the crowd erupted in a loud applause. Everyone was on their feet apart from the shocked Scooby gang, minus Dawn who was clapping the loudest. Spike bowed for the crowd then walked back to his seat.

He smiled at Buffy then whispered in her ear.

“Your turn” Buffy did nothing but nod in reply. That is, until what Spike said finally registered.

“Oh you have got to be kidding me?” Spike smirked at the horrified look on her face.


End Chapter