Chapter 5 Sometimes When We Touch

“You know Spike, I really don’t think you want me to sing” Buffy said tentatively.

“No Buffy. I really want you to” She wanted to smack the smirk off his face, or kiss it. “Unless of course you don’t have the stones to do it”

“But I can’t sing!” She whined. Spike folded his arms across his chest and gave her a pointed look. “Fine, but if they start throwing food at me I’m gonna kick your ass!”

She got up and walked towards Lorne like a person walking towards execution. Lorne gave her an encouraging smile and handed her the song book.

Buffy didn’t know what to sing. There were so many to choose from. She wanted to pick something that would tell Spike how she felt without disclosing her feelings to her friends. She stopped suddenly when she realized she didn’t care what they thought. It was her life and she could live it how she wanted to. With that in mind she made her selection and gave the book back.

Buffy walked up on stage and took hold of the microphone. She took a deep breath and smiled.

“Hey. I’m Buffy. This is for some guy I know.” Spike sat up straight when he heard this and looked directly at Buffy. She just continued to smile at him, telling him with her eyes that it would be alright. The gang however looked baffled.

“Is Buffy seeing someone that we don’t know about?” Willow asked.

“Well she never told me she was.” Dawn said looking upset.

“Don’t worry, Bit. If it was serious she woulda told you.” Dawn gave Spike a grateful smile in return then turned back to watch Buffy.

Buffy took another deep breath then punched the numbers into the box. She released it then began.


You ask me if I love you and I choke on my reply
I'd rather hurt you honestly than mislead you with a lie
And who am I to judge you in what you say or do
I'm only just beginning to see the real you


Spike was shocked. She was singing to him! He couldn’t believe it.

Buffy saw his eyes widen when he figured it out and continued to smile. She was telling him how she felt. It felt so good.


Sometimes when we touch the honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I want to hold you till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides

Romance and all it's strategy leaves me battling with my pride
But through all the insecurity some tenderness survives
I'm just another writer still trapped within my truth
A hesitant prize fighter still trapped within my youth


She was doing well and Spike was pleased for her. There was no need for her to be worried, she had captured the audiences’ attention the minute she opened her mouth.

Lorne was impressed. It was obvious the two bottle blondes were singing to each other. The thing was, they had no idea how much tonight would change their lives.


And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I want to hold you till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides

At times I'd like to break you
And drive you to your knees
At times I'd like to break through
And hold you endlessly
At times I understand you
And I know how hard you try
I watched while love commands you
And I've watched love pass you by


The song was perfect, Buffy decided. Spike knew she was singing to him but the others couldn’t figure it out.

Then it hit her. After the song was over, what was gonna happen? Would Spike want to put a label on what they had? It was just sex right? *Wrong Buffy, or did you forget the fact that you love him?*


At times I think we're drifters
Still searching for a friend
A brother or a sister
But then the passion flares again

And sometimes when we touch
The honesty's too much
And I have to close my eyes and hide
I want to hold ya till I die
Till we both break down and cry
I want to hold you till the fear in me subsides


As the song finished, the crowd once again erupted in applause. She made it.

She replaced the microphone then went back to the table. She took a deep breath then sat next to Spike.

“Wow Buff, who knew you, could sing so well?” Xander asked with a smile.

“Yeah, Buffy you were great!” Tara added.

“That was awesome! Way to go Buffy! But, who were you singing to?” Dawn asked, giving Buffy a pointed glare.

“Yeah Slayer. Who were you singing to?” Spike inquired, with his smirk in place and a raised eyebrow

“Umm…… does it matter? I mean it’s just some guy….. No one that you know. So umm yeah.” *Jeez babble much Buffy? I mean could you make it more obvious?*

While they continued to talk, no one noticed the dark form moving to a table secluded in shadows, having heard everything that was said and sung.


End Chapter