Spike walked into the bar, every bit of him exuding confidence. It wouldn't do for him to be nervous, not here where those around him would recognize the stench. He went to the bar, leaning across it and signaling for the bartender.

The bartender may have sneered, although Spike found it hard to tell with the large tusks protruding from the demon's mouth. "What will it be, halfbreed? Bloody Mary, hold the Mary?"

"Not looking for a drink, mate. I'm here for information."

"I don't got any."

"Not here for trouble either. Rumor has it someone's after the Slayer. That's something I'd be interested in playing a nice little part in."

The bartended snorted. "What self-respecting demon wouldn't?"

"Well, my interest in the Slayer is…personal. The bint killed my sire a while back. You may have heard of him—Master of the Aurelius line." The bartender blinked, and Spike had to keep from smiling at his triumph. Despite the demon's obvious contempt for vampires, a name like Aurelius still held weight.

"Over there, in the booth by the jukebox. Kreltoph demon by the name of Dejira. She's got the information you want."

"Thanks, mate. You're a good…er, man."

Spike walked over to the booth, sliding in across from Dejira. Kreltoph were one of the few demons species known for their exquisite beauty—which was why the last time Spike had met with one it had been in a brothel, some years prior. With her delicate, curved figure and long black hair, Dejira was almost human in appearance, though her silver eyes and the lavender patterns on her skin belied her existence as something else entirely. She looked up sharply at Spike, regarding him for only a moment before snarling. "I do not wish for your company, vampire. Despite my race's most common occupation, I am not in the pleasure business."

"Not in search of that sort of company, princess. Heard you might be able to help me with a little trouble—of the Slayer variety."

"What makes you think I know anything of the Slayer?"

"It's what all the kids are saying these days." He stuck his hand across the table, although he expected the look of disgust Dejira favored it with. "Name's Spike."

Dejira blinked as Spike pulled his hand back. "Spike? William the Bloody?"

"One in the same."

The demoness began to laugh. "Whatever makes you think I would want your help in killing the Slayer? From what I heard, you've done nothing but fail at every attempt you've made to kill her."

"Yeah, well, this one is a little different than the others. And might I remind you that I've killed two Slayers in the past, so I'm hardly incompetent."

Dejira grinned. "Possibly. But the current rumors are that you have been seeking refuge in the home of this particular slayer's watcher. Tell me, vampire, how is this bringing you any closer to killing the Slayer?"

Spike leaned across the table. "Let me let you in on a little secret, told to me by an old mate of mine. This Slayer, like I said, isn't like the others. This one, well, you have to love her to kill her."

"Love her?" Dejira asked, her glittering eyes blinking in surprise. "Are you telling me you've fallen in love with the girl?"

Spike sat up again. "Hardly," he said with a snort. "But that's what the chit thinks. Should've heard her this morning, defending me to the bloody Watcher. Priceless it was. Thinks she's got me all housebroken. But the truth of the matter is, I've been waiting for the right time until I can make my move. Gettin' her nice and soft. So when I heard that there's a new player in town wanting to bring her down once and for all, thought I might offer my services. I'm sure the intimate knowledge I've gained about the girl could be of some use."

"If she's so ripe for the plucking, then why not kill her yourself? Why place yourself in the service of someone else?"

Spike linked his hands behind his head, leaning against them. "You know us vampires—we're a lazy lot. Why bother to come up with my own plan if someone else has already got one?"

"And the Slayer…would you say she trusts you?"

"Completely. It's pathetic, really. All I have to do is give her puppy dog eyes, and she's mine."

"Then you may be of some help." Dejira took a card from the small, woven bag beside her and handed it to Spike. "Be there tomorrow. One hour after sunset. I will see if he is willing to meet you."

"May I inquire as to who this 'he' is?"

"No, you may not."

"Right." Spike stood. "Well, I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yes. And I don't think I have to mention to you, vampire, that you are not to tell anyone of our meeting."

Spike gave her a salute. "Course. I'll be quiet as a lil' bloodsucking mouse."

"Good. Until tomorrow."

Spike nodded and walked out of the bar.

*** *** ***

"Well, you did return after all. I expected you to use this as your escape."

Spike glared at Giles as he shook the snow off of him. "Yeah, I came back, Watcher. And I got information, too."

Buffy came up behind him, taking his coat as he slipped it off his shoulders and hanging it on the rack by the door. "What did you find out?"

"Talked to a right bitchy demon named Dejira. She wasn't too forthcoming with the details, but she gave me an address. Wants me to be there tomorrow, hour after sunset."

"And this woman says someone does want to hurt Buffy?" Joyce asked.

"Yeah. Some sort of Slayer assassination plot in motion apparently. Hoping I'll find out more tomorrow."

"How did you get them to trust you?" Giles asked, suspicion obvious in his voice.

"I told them Buffy's every weakness and that I plan to sell her out for a year's supply of blood and some decent albums." Spike rolled his eyes. "I'm a vampire, Giles. Not too hard for me to convince anyone I want the Slayer dead."

"I'm certainly well convinced," Giles responded.

"Listen here, Rupert," Spike said, a flash of yellow in his eyes as he turned on the Watcher. "I've bloody told you I'm not interested in hurting Buffy, and if you don't…" Spike stopped when he felt Buffy's hand on his arm.

"Spike, let's go work out the details for tomorrow, okay? I don't want you rushing into possible danger without some contingency plans worked out."

Spike nodded, feeling his anger dissipate as soon as he looked into her eyes. "Yeah. Probably a good idea." He let Buffy take his hand and lead him into the bedroom.

As soon as the door closed, Giles stood. "Rupert, where are you going?" Joyce asked.

"I cannot just sit here while Buffy is behind closed doors with a vampire."

"Neither can I," Joyce replied. "Which is why I was going to the kitchen for some very strong eggnog. Care to join me?"

"You can stay in the house while they're doing lord knows what in there? Spike is a vampire. They're…"

Joyce held up her hand. "Trust me, I know. I caught the live show."

Predictably, Giles removed his glasses. "The what?"

"I came home, I didn't knock…I'm repressing."

"Oh dear lord."

"That about sums it up. The way I see it, that door is better closed. Eggnog?"

"Yes, please." Giles followed Joyce to the kitchen.

"You did say very strong, didn't you?"

*** *** ***

"You all right, pet?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Perfect."

"Then why are you pacing?"

Buffy stopped short. "I'm not."

"You were," Spike said, giving her a grin. He patted the spot on the bed next to where he was sitting. "Come here."

Buffy did as he said, resting her head on his shoulder and letting Spike wrap his arm around her. "This makes me nervous. And not just the whole someone's trying to kill me thing, cause sooo used to that. But I'm…well, I'm worried about you."

"Me?"

"Yeah, you. What if this is a trap? What if something happens to you because of me and…"

"Shh. Don't you worry about that, Buffy. I haven't been around this long by being reckless." He kissed her then pulled back, holding her face in his hands. "Don't worry about me. You concentrate on keeping yourself safe, you got that?"

"Spike…"

"We're both going to walk away from this. I promise you that."

"Make love to me."

Spike blinked. "I thought you didn't…with your Mum, and Giles…"

Buffy smiled coyly. "We can be quiet. I just…I need to feel you."

Spike kissed her again, harder this time. "Buffy," he said when he pulled away to give her air. "Want you so bloody much. All the time…"

"I want you too, Spike."

He turned, pressing her down against the mattress. Buffy gasped as he trailed his mouth down, nipping at her neck with blunt teeth. Spike looked up at her. "Shh, kitten. Don't want the others to hear."

Buffy nodded, willing to give any response that would get Spike to continue. He pulled her sweater up over her head, then quickly went to her bra, unhooking it in one deft movement. His mouth went to a hardened nipple just as his hand covered mouth, muffling the moans of pleasure he was eliciting from her body.

Suddenly, Buffy pushed his hand away. "No playing tonight. I just want you inside me."

The lust-filled tone of her voice set him ablaze. Spike stood, quickly undressing as Buffy undid her jeans, wiggling them down until they got stuck at her boots. Frustrated, she tried to kick them off unsuccessfully. Once fully undressed himself, Spike knelt down, helping her. When he was done, he moved over her, positioning himself at her entrance. He rubbed his cock against her slit until Buffy opened her eyes, meeting his intense gaze. "I'm not going anywhere, luv," he told her. "Right here is the only place I ever want to be."

Buffy wrapped her legs around his waist, pulling him closer. He inched inside her slowly, ignoring her heated pleas that he move faster. Once he was finally fully sheathed, he leaned down, pressing kisses all over her face. "So bloody perfect, Buffy. Can you feel it? Can you feel how perfectly we fit?"

"Yes! Spike, yes."

Spike moved steadily within her, his mouth and hands constantly on her skin. Buffy's words of encouragement soon became no more than fevered moans and pants as she clung to Spike, lost in ecstasy. Suddenly, he increased the strength and speed of his thrusts, pushing Buffy closer to the brink. Her eyes widened, her fingernails digging into his skin, and Spike leaned down, capturing her scream of release in his mouth. As her body went limp beneath him, he pushed into her one more time before losing himself inside her.

Buffy lay under him still, panting. Spike propped himself up on an elbow, using his other hand to wipe the tears from Buffy's face. "You all right, kitten?"

"Yeah…I just…I never thought it would be like that with you."

Spike kissed her forehead. "I'm just all full of surprises."

Buffy chuckled. "That you are." Spike rolled over, pulling Buffy against him. After a moment, she spoke again. "What happens if you walk into a trap tomorrow?"

"I beat the shit out of whoever had the nerve to try to kill me, and then I come home to you."

"I want to be around. So I can come in if you need me."

"No."

"What?"

"I said no. It's too dangerous, Slayer. If it is a trap, you don't need to be caught in it, too."

"You said last night that you wouldn't coddle me."

"And I'm not. I'd be saying the same thing if you were a three hundred pound ex-con named Butch." Buffy giggled a little at that, and Spike pressed a kiss against her temple before continuing. "Look, if anything you staying behind will make things easier for me. If it is a trap, one person getting out of it is a lot easier than two. Besides, someone will need to stay behind to look after your mum and ol' Rupes."

Buffy frowned. "Okay, fine. I concede to your logic." She frowned. "Did I actually just say that?"

"Must be the orgasm talking."

Buffy smirked. "Must be." She yawned. "Made me sleepy, too."

"Let's get some rest, then." He pulled the covers up around the two of them.

Buffy sighed contentedly. "'Night, Spike."

"'Night, luv. Sweet dreams."

Buffy smiled, images of Spike already dancing before her closed eyes. "I will."

*** *** ***

"You make a fine nog, Joyce."

Joyce giggled, taking a sip from the mug. "Why thank you, Rupert." Suddenly, she frowned. "But I can't make anymore. The bottle's empty."

"Bloody hell." Giles reached up, frowning when he touched his nose. "It seems I've already removed my glasses. Do you know where they are?"

"Nope." Joyce looked at him. "I like you without them. I can see your eyes." She waved a finger at him. "You are very handsome man, Rupert. All…rugged."

"And you, Joyce, are a very beautiful lady."

Joyce blushed. "That's the eggnog talking."

"No, I've always thought so. First time I saw you. If you weren't Buffy's mother…"

"But I am."

"Yes, you are."

"So we can't."

"We shouldn't."

Giles and Joyce both leaned in, the space between them closing. Suddenly, Giles pulled back. Joyce blinked. "What…"

"There's something out there."

"What is it?"

"I don't know. Go get Buffy."

Joyce nodded, running to the bedroom. She placed her hand on the knob, then stopped, pulling back and knocking. "Buffy? Ru…Mr. Giles heard says there's something outside. I think he wants you to slay it."

There was a pause, followed by some muffled grumbling. "Just a minute, Mom!" Spike and Buffy emerged from the bedroom shortly thereafter, disheveled and armed. "Grenbreks back?" Buffy asked.

"I don't know. You better go to the kitchen. I'm gonna go…sit on the couch."

Spike leaned down, whispering in Buffy's ear. "Your mum's sloshed, pet."

"Sorta picked up on that," Buffy muttered before heading for the kitchen, Spike in two. "Giles—Mom says we have a problem."

"Yes. I saw something move past the window. May be our good friends the gra…grem…the demons."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Oh god, you're drunk, too." She sighed. "Come on, Spike. Let's go kill us some bad guys."

"On it, Slayer."

They stepped out the backdoor, each with a sword raised. Spike sniffed the air, then jerked his head towards the left. Buffy nodded, following him. Sure enough, they found themselves faced with three grenbrek demons, all very much alive.

Spike shook his head, his face shifting. "Remember, Slayer—heads off."

"Can do," Buffy replied, charging the first demon and leaving the other two to Spike. She swung, severing her opponent's head from its body. She kicked it away as it rolled towards her then turned, ready to help Spike finish the other two.

Spike stabbed one of the remaining demons in the stomach, then raised his sword to finish the kill. Before he got the chance to, the third one charged Buffy, knocking her to the ground. "Slayer!" he yelled, abandoning his to pull the other off Buffy. As the demon's weight was lifted from her body, Buffy jumped up, loping off the head of grenbrek as Spike held it still for her. She let out a deep breath, pushing her hair away from her face as Spike threw the decapitated body down. "Where's the last one?"

Spike turned around. "It was…buggering hell. It must've melted."

"You should've finished it when you had it."

"Hey now, Slayer. I was saving your life if you do recall."

Buffy brushed herself off. "I had him."

"Let me guess—you were going to let him get a few good killing blows in to throw him off guard before you attacked?"

Buffy shot him a look. "Very funny."

"We'll get him next time, pet."

"I'd rather there wasn't a next time."

"Yeah, me, too. But when it comes to you fighting another time or you not…well, I'm picking the first one, okay?"

Buffy sighed. "Well, when you put it that way…" She gave him a quick peck on the cheek. "Thank you for saving my life…again."

"Any time, gorgeous."

Buffy and Spike went back in the house to find Joyce and Giles in the kitchen. "Did you kill them?" Joyce asked.

"We saw the whole thing, Joyce," Giles pointed out. "They killed two, and one got away."

Joyce pouted. "I want to hear it from Buffy."

"We killed two and one got away," Buffy said in a monotone. "And Mom—you're scaring me. This behavior is way too band candy-esque. Stay away from law enforcement vehicles, you got it?"

Joyce blushed. "Yes. Well, I'm…I'm going to bed. Good night all." She hurried from the room.

"I'm off, too," Buffy said. "You coming, Spike?"

"Yeah."

"Just a minute, Spike. I'd like to talk you—alone."

"Giles, I don't…" Spike cut Buffy off, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"It's fine, pet." He gave her a quick kiss. "I'll be in in a minute."

Buffy glanced between Spike and Giles. "All right. Don't be too long, all right?"

"I won't."

As soon as they were alone, Spike crossed his arms in front of his chest, leaning against the doorframe. "You have something to say, Watcher?"

"Yes. You…saved Buffy tonight."

"Saw that did you?"

"Yes, I did. And what I want to know is—why?"

"Why shouldn't I? Whether you like it or not, Buffy's something special to me. Couldn't very well let her get killed."

"Do you love her?"

"Yes."

"That's impossible!"

"Then why'd you even bother to ask? Look, your high an' mighty Watcher's Council, for all its research, doesn't know a bleedin' thing about vampires. Yeah, some of us got nothing behind the monster. But some of us do. And I love Buffy. It's a bit crazy, but it's the truth. And I'd give my own life for hers if it came to it."

"But that's just the problem—you don't have a life to give. You're nothing but a demon parading around in a human corpse."

Spike shook his head, chuckling slightly. "That what you Watchers tell the girls? Nice little fairy tale to keep them from thinking they're really killing anything. It's a good one, really."

"It's the truth. You might have the memories of the man you were before, but you're not him. You're a demon."

"You're right about one thing there—I'm not the same William I used to be. Being a vampire changes you, yeah. But there's more to a person than a soul. It's about choice. Losing my soul let me make the choice to live free, to find something in me that had always been buried. But being with Buffy has let me make the choice to do something else with myself. To be what the woman I love needs me to be. Maybe you need to choose to see that."

Spike walked out, leaving Giles with nothing to say.

*** *** ***

It has been asked whether or not I plan to have this finished by Christmas. Ideally, yes. However, I can't promise that either. I spend Christmas with my internet-less grandmother, and I'm leaving for her house the twenty-second. I'm trying to be really good with this one, keeping the updates steady, but there's only so much I can do. So I'm not sure about being done for Christmas yet, although I promise I'm trying my hardest!

Thanks to everyone who's left a review so far. You guys are too kind!