~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Buffy pulled away for much needed air Spike rested his forehead on hers.

‘God Buffy I’ve missed you so much’ He whispered.

‘I missed you too. I’m never letting you go again.’ She replied and kissed him lightly on the lips to seal her promise as they gazed into each others eyes.

They were brought out of their musings by a piercing scream from above. Another winged beast swooped low, its claws outstretched. It was black and had scales covering the extent of its body.

‘I think we should lend a hand’ Buffy said.

As she stood the bubble grew to accommodate the new height. She pulled Spike up with her.

‘Ready?’ He asked her.

‘Ready.’ She replied.

Spike reached out of the bubble and picked up his discarded sword. It felt like he was putting his hand through jelly. He brought the sword into the confines of the shield. He swung it forward and around, over his shoulder and under his arm, each swing piercing the bubble but leaving no trace of an opening as the bubble formed a new seal over the opening.

‘This is a nice trick luv.’ Spike told Buffy as they stepped in the path of the beast, that had started to descend to ground level.

‘Hope it holds’ Spike said.

‘So do I’ replied Buffy a little worried.

Spike raised his scared eyebrow at her.

‘I’ve never tried it on anything this big before’ she replied meekly.

‘Well there’s a first time for everything’ Spike told her confidently.

As the beast came dangerously close they both raised their swords in unison, upwards and came into contact with scaly flesh. Their swords pierced the beasts skin, and it let out a cry of pain. Their swords left long trails down the underside of its body and black blood rained down on the bubble and trickled down the sides leaving Buffy and Spike clean from the blood.

‘Huh, added bonus. Stops icky demon guts from messing your hair up. Buffy smiled.

The beast landed and turned angrily towards them.

‘Be back in a moment love’ Spike said, quickly placing a soft kiss on Buffy’s lips.

‘What?’ she replied stunned, but before she could say more Spike had dived out of the bubble, rolled head over heels perfectly on the floor, stood up and began running towards the beast..

‘Spike!’ she cried as he stopped and stood before the beast, sword raised.

‘Come on then. Lets see what you got’ Spike shouted at the beast.

The beast roared angrily and its great mouth came down around Spike’s form, closed its mouth and swallowed him whole.

‘SPIKE!’ Buffy screamed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Spike!’ Buffy screamed as the beasts mouth closed around him and swallowed him whole. She started to run towards the beast but her path was blocked by several demons with disfigured faces and who bore double headed axes. She turned as she ran and swiped the head off the first one to block her path. Then she jumped, somersaulted in mid air over another one, turned around and embedded the scythe in its back. She gave it a sharp twist and it dropped dead.
Buffy turned around to face the direction in which the beast was headed. She stormed towards it simply walking into the various demons that blocked her path. They flew away and hit the walls of the alley as they came into contact with the shield. It was now glowing a bright blue as their life-force seeped into it, but Buffy didn’t care. She took the device out of her pocket and pressed the darkest stone and the shield retracted from the floor, back into the device. She stood in front of the beast and purposely dropped the scythe at her feet.

‘COME ON THEN!’ she shouted ‘YOU WANT ANOTHER SNACK, WELL TAKE ME. YOU’VE TAKEN THE ONE THING I LOVED MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD, SO HELL, WHAT HAVE I GOT LEFT?’

She breathed shallowly, tears welling in her eyes.

‘COME ON’ she screamed one last time.

The beast stepped forward, an evil glint in its eyes. It opened its mouth and lowered it towards her.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Suddenly it stumbled and stopped in its tracks. It started to convulse. As Buffy stared at it a sword was thrust up through its thick hide from inside and swept across its spinal cord. A black clad figure covered in slime leapt out from inside the body about 10 feet in the air, turned and landed just behind its head.

‘That’s right., I’m back!’ Spike shouted.

He lifted his sword high and rammed it into the beasts skull using his vampire strength. He twisted the sword and pulled it back out.
The beast crumbled to the floor beneath him and he jumped down to land before Buffy. She simply stared at him in disbelief. She grabbed him in a crushing hug, regardless of the slime coating her lover.

‘Oh Spike, I thought I’d lost you.’

‘Take more than a nasty beastie to take me away from you love’ Spike replied.

She stepped back, looking into his eyes, pulled back a fist and punched him hard in the face.

‘Ow’ Spike complained

‘Don’t you EVER do that again’ Buffy cried

Spike ran the back of his hand over her cheek. ‘Promise’.

He looked down and picked up the scythe and handed it to her. ‘You should keep a hold of this’

‘Oh yeah, well I threw it down when I asked, well told the beast to eat me because I thought I’d lost you.’ She accused.

Spikes eyes widened in horror.

‘Hey’ he grabbed her firmly by the shoulders. ‘Don’t you ever go all suicidal on me. If I die, I need you to continue fighting for me. The last thing I would ever want would be for you to die because of me. I love you too much.’ He told her. ‘Promise me’

‘Spike…I’

‘Promise’ he said more sternly.

She kissed him lightly on the lips. ‘I promise’ She whispered with tears in her eyes.

‘Now, lets get back to the job at hand’ Spike said as he raised his sword and ran yelling towards a group of demons in rusty armour that were charging down the alley.

Buffy whirled around and started attacking the first demons she came into contact with, but before she could get any further she felt a crack on her head, and the world faded in a vision of stars and darkness.
She was thrown over the shoulder of a demon that looked more human than beastly, and that was clad in red robes. He used the shadows as cover to exit the alley with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each remaining member of the gang killed the last of the demons they were fighting, with a renewed internal strength because they knew they were so close to achieving their goal.
Spike sliced his demon down the middle and turned around to see if Buffy needed any assistance. He knew she probably wouldn’t, and that was another thing he loved about her. The way she could hold her own and kill an enemy with a few sweeps of a blade. As he looked around the alley he couldn’t see any sign of her. No flowing blonde hair, no graceful movements of her arms delivering punches and kicks to demons heads.
His game face faded as he realised something was wrong. She wouldn’t just leave. He ran over to where he had seen her last and he saw butchered demons everywhere, but the worst sight was the ownerless scythe lying on the floor.
‘Oh shit’ he breathed. ‘Buffy’. He picked up the scythe and began desperately throwing aside carcasses of demons that lay in piles, frantically hoping and praying that he wouldn’t find the cold and lifeless form of his lover lying under them.

Images filled his mind of the time Buffy had jumped off the platform into the portal to save the world and stop Glory. When he has seen her lifeless body lying on top of the debris, he just broke down. Her broken, motionless body simply lying there. When they had put her body in the ground he had wanted to stake himself there and then, and he would have done if he hadn’t promised her that he would protect Dawn. She didn’t belong in the ground, she belonged in the sun, a place he could never go, but every time she was with him it felt like he was basking in it. No burning flesh or organs exploding, just the warmth and pureness of its rays.

‘Please, please don’t let her be dead’, he thought to himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘Spike what are you doing?’ Angel shouted to the young vampire, as he saw him searching through piles of dead demons.

‘I…I can’t find her’ He said, panic sounding in his voice.

‘Illyria?’ Angel thought to himself. Just then Illyria came to stand next to him. ‘OK, not Illyria. Then who?’

‘What is the blonde one doing?’ questioned Illyria.

‘Looking for someone apparently’ Angel replied. He heard someone stumble and looked around to see Gunn cradling a badly injured arm, in addition to several body injuries.

‘Check he’s ok.’ Angel instructed Illyria.

As Illyria went to help Gunn, Angel walked over to Spike. Tears were now evident in his eyes as he continued searching.

‘Spike, who…’ but he was cut short when his eyes fell on the weapon Spike now held securely in his hand. Buffy’s scythe’

‘Buffy’ Spike replied, as if confirming Angel’s thoughts.

‘But she’s in Rome’ Angel said, still not believing that Buffy was here

Spike let out an angered and frustrated scream as he sunk to his knees. He wept silently into his hands.

‘No she cant be dead, I’ve only just found her again. NO’ he thought wordlessly.

‘I have to find her.’ He whispered as he slowly rose to his feet. He smelt the air, and picked up her scent almost immediately, even through the overwhelming power of the stench of blood. It was probably because the first few times they had been together he had memorised every single detail about her, and tested himself each time after that. They way her skin felt, the way her hair smelt, the way he could make her gasp if he kissed that certain spot on her neck, and most of all her scent. He could sense if she was coming even when he was sleeping.

He followed it to the end of the alley. He breathed a sigh of relief. Her scent lead away from the battle. At least she wasn’t buried under one of the hundreds of piles of demon corpses.

‘What do you mean Buffy’s here?’ Angel questioned Spike.

‘Not now peaches’ Spike replied as he ran off down the street, following her scent.

Angel turned back to survey the allay and carnage that lay there. If anyone could find Buffy, he knew Spike could. He also knew that Spike really loved Buffy and she loved him too. He could tell from the moment he had questioned her about it the last time he had been in Sunnydale. Besides he was just starting a great relationship with Nina, and he didn’t want to jeopardise that by bringing up old feelings about Buffy. So he left it at that and went to the aid of his friends.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike had gone about 2 miles when her scent became even stronger. He could tell she was close. He turned the corner and found himself standing in front of the Wolfram & Hart building. He hadn’t even noticed where he was headed. He was fixed purely on Buffy’s scent.
This couldn’t be good. What did Buffy want with Wolfram & Hart, or more than likely, what did they want with her? What were they going to do to her?! As that thought entered his mind he ran into the building as fast as he could.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a dark room, Buffy awoke to feel a throbbing on the back of her head. As she went to feel it, her reach was cut short by the fact that her hands were chained to the ceiling. She yanked at them, but not even her slayer strength could break them.

‘It’s no use straining yourself slayer’ a deep, throaty voice drawled from somewhere in the room.

‘Mystical bonds can only be broken by spiritual means’

A light came on suddenly that bathed the room in a dim yellow. As Buffy’s eyes adjusted to the light she could see she was in a an office. The edges of it remained darkened and a pair of yellow eyes stared at her out of the blackness.

‘Who are you?’ Buffy asked

‘I don’t think any of us have met’ another voice answered from behind her. The eyes in front of her came out of the darkness and she discovered they belonged to a wolf. As she stared at it, an ebony black ram with horns that curled at the tip trotted into her line of view from behind her.

She laughed ‘Please don’t tell me you guys are Wolfram’

‘How did you guess’ the wolf asked

‘Well, um, have you looked in a mirror recently?’

The wolf stepped forwards. ‘Its nice to be recognised. As he stepped nearer, Buffy gripped the chains holding her arms and swung her unchained legs forwards to kick the wolf, but they stopped short of the wolf’s face as they came into contact with a force shield. The wolf didn’t even blink. Buffy drew back her legs in pain.

‘No use trying to escape little girl. It’ll only hurt more’ the Ram said from the wolf. ‘Now that you’ve seen our little security device I think we can take off the chains’ and almost instantaneously they disappeared from around her wrists and she fell to the floor.

‘Come on’ the wolf told the ram, and they stalked out of the room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike ascended the stairs 3 at a time as he followed her scent to a part of the building he had not been in before. He ran into the lobby and stopped. It looked exactly the same as Angel’s floor, apart from the fact that all the décor was black, instead of pine. A light coming from an office to the right of him caught his attention. He ran to it and kicked the doors open. The first thing he saw was Buffy lying on the floor. Buffy looked up to see Spike standing in the doorway.

‘Spike’ she whispered.

As he ran towards her she shouted for him to stop, but before he could register what she had said he hit an invisible force and slumped to the floor in pain.

‘Spike are you OK?’ Buffy cried, unable to do anything.

‘Yeah, I guess. I just wish these stars would go away’ he said, swatting at the imaginary stars in front of him.

Buffy giggled as she looked at him. She loved him so much. She loved everything about him. The sarcasm, the protectiveness and the love he showed her.
Suddenly she remembered where they were.

‘Spike you have to get out of here now!’ Buffy told him desperately. She didn’t know how long it would be before the wolf and ram came back.

‘That’s not even funny’ Spike said as he got up and started looking round the room for something he could break the force shield with, without actually touching it himself.

‘What?’ Buffy asked him.

‘You think I’m just gonna leave you here?’

‘You’d better’

‘Um, how about, NO’

‘What do you mean no?’

‘I’m not leaving you here. I just found you again. If I leave here, It’ll either be with you or as particles of dust floating on the wind.’ He stopped at how the last part of his sentence reminded him of what he had told her on her answer machine.

‘Spike, remember what you told me in the alley, about how you wouldn’t want me to die because of you.’ Buffy told him as she stepped closer to the force shield, stopping short, as she felt its energy, not wanting to get hurt again.

‘I don’t want you to die for me either. Please go’

Spike walked towards the shield, and stopped in front of Buffy. He placed his hand short of the shield and Buffy raised her hand opposite his. The energy crackled across the small distance between them.

They stared into each other eyes, as Buffy’s filled with tears. ‘Please. I don’t want you to die. I love you too much. I can’t watch you die again.’

‘Hey’, he smiled at her. All he wanted to do was to brush the tears from her cheeks an hold her close. ‘I’m not gonna die’.

‘I think we may have something to say about that. As Spike looked to the door he was met by the sight of a wolf and a ram walking in, a wooden box floating 2 or 3 feet above them.

‘I’m guessing you’re the wolf and ram of Wolfram and Hart’

‘Your as quick as your girlfriend’ the ram replied.

As Buffy and Spike stared at them, the ram stepped in front of the wolf. The wolf opened its mouth to an unnatural size and the ram leapt into its mouth. In a flash of blinding red light a man stood before Buffy and Spike. His hair was the same silvery colour as the wolf’s coat, and his eyes were clearly those of the wolf. He wore an ebony suit and horns protruded from his head, these features, clearly those of the rams.

‘Now shall we get down to business?’ The man said, his voice overtaken by the wolf in him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So dear to me
Always keep me company
Who needs to go outside
I will be your silent bride


I can't take my eyes off you
Nothing ever needs to be said
You send your message
right into my head
You fill me up when I'm alone
So soothing is your monotone
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you

So maybe you're not as real
as the others
But I choose you over all my past lovers
For they have come and they have gone
but I can always turn you on
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes off you [i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The song I added at the end is ‘I can’t take my eyes off you’ by Melanie Doane. It’s on the Radio Sunnydale soundtrack which I was listening to as I was writing this, and when that song came on I knew I just had to put it in because it is a great Spuffy song.

(oh and BTW, i only saw the last few episodes of Angel season 2 the other day, and i wrote this a while ago, so i know it is a stag, not a heart as in the thing that beats a hell of alot faster everytime you see Spike)