Wolfram walked over to the desk opposite Buffy & Spike and placed the wooden box on it. Spike turned to look at Buffy to see if she had any idea as to what was going on, but she had the same puzzled look on her face has he had on his. Her eyes were filled with worry. If she lost him she didn't know if she could live with herself. If only he had left her when she had told him to he would be out of here and away from the danger she knew they were both in.

'Now,' Wolfram said as he leaned casually against the desk.

'I'm pretty sure your both thinking the same thing.' he laughed, well...actually I know you're both thinking the same thing.'

'You're both thinking that if the situation arises, you're going to sacrifice yourself for the other, am I right?'

Buffy and Spike exchanged worried glances, both knowing that he was right

'Of course I’m right. Now the question is, which one of you is actually going to sacrifice yourself'

Spike stepped forward. 'How would I know she'd be safe'

'Spike, no!' Buffy stepped forward completely forgetting the force shield and was thrown back as she cried out in pain. Spike spun round to see Buffy on the floor clutching her face.

'Buffy' he cried

'I'm fine, I’m fine' she said confidently as she got to her feet, and crinkled her nose trying to get the feeling back. 'God that hurt' She breathed. 'Now you stay there and shut up' She told Spike.

'Oh I don’t think so luv. Now where was I, oh yeah, how would I know Buffy would be safe.'

'We always stick to our agreements, especially if the contract is signed in...' Wolfram reached into his pocket and pulled out a pen. '...blood'


'Please Spike, don't do this.' Buffy started to cry, 'I can't lose you. Please.' Spike hated more than anything to see her cry. Every time she did he just wanted to throw himself on a stake or walk outside during the middle of the day. But if he had to choose between seeing her tears or her lifeless body, he would chose the tears in a heart beat, if his heart beat that was.

'I have to love. I'm sorry.’ He turned back to Wolfram. ‘Lets see this contract then' Spike told Wolfram.

Wolfram balled his fist in front of him and opened it, palm facing upwards. A ball of fire, no bigger than a tennis ball erupted from his hand and a piece of parchment took its place. Wolfram placed it on the desk.

'So what am I singing for, other than Buffy's freedom?. You obviously want something from me' Spike asked Wolfram.

'Well, you may not know this but, earlier today Angel signed away his part in the Shanshu prophecy. He is now no longer a contender for the vampire with a soul. If you sign this contract the slayer will be protected and sent home. You on the other hand will not be so fortunate. You will unfortunately have to sacrifice your life. Well not unfortunately for us, maybe for you and your lover.’ Wolfram sneered.

Spike couldn't believe this. Angel had signed away the shanshu prophecy just to make the circle of the black thorn believe he was one of them, even though he wasn't. Ever since he was re-souled, Angel had been fighting save the world and repent for his sins. Now all that was meaningless.

If he signed this contract, then he would die and this time, not be turned into a creature of the night. If he didn’t sign it then Buffy would die. He turned to look at Buffy, she was crying so hard. He loved her too much to let her die.

Spike turned back to Wolfram. ‘Where do I sign?’ As he went to take the pen from him, Wolfram slammed the tip into his left hand that was resting on the table. Spike groaned in agony as he felt some of his blood being taken into the pen. Wolfram snatched the pen back out of Spike's hand as he gritted his teeth against the pain. Wolfram handed it to him. Tears were streaming down Buffy’s eyes as Spike took it from him and put pen to paper to sign his destiny, his unlife, his love away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as the pen left the page, he was grabbed around the shoulders by something so powerful even his vampire strength couldn't contend against it. As he looked down they seemed to be plant like creepers. He was pulled backwards and slammed up against the wall. He looked up at Buffy as one grabbed him around the neck.

'I believe I held up my end of the bargain.' Spike told Wolfram.

'Yes, I guess so, and we are a man of our word. The slayer will be returned to her home and kept safe.' Wolfram replied.

'NO!' Buffy screamed. 'I'll do anything, please, just let him go!'

'You may say goodbye' Wolfram said, as he waved his hand and the shield surrounding Buffy was dropped. She ran over to Spike. She tried desperately to pull the creeper things away from him but he stopped her. 'Buffy, don’t' he pleaded. He used one free had to stop her, placing it in front of her. She took his hand in hers and interlaced her fingers with his. The scene exactly as it had been that day in the hellmouth, apart form the fact that their interlocking hands were not surrounded by flames.

'I love you' She told him. She knew those 3 little words meant more to him than any long speech about her love that she could give him.

'I know you do. I love you too. Everything about you, Your eyes, your smile…' he touched each part as he spoke it. ‘Your lips’ he breathed as she leant up and placed her lips to his and kissed him softly. He opened his mouth and stroked her tongue with his. This last kiss conveying all their feelings for each other. Tear were filling Spike’s eyes as he broke the kiss and stared into her eyes. ‘God…’ he choked ‘I love you so much.’ He breathed out a strangled breath.

Suddenly the world started to fade in a whirl of colours. The last thing she saw of her lover were his deep blue eyes conveying a last message of love to her.

She cried out his name, as she fell through the vortex of colours and found herself lying on her bed, in her room, in Rome.

'SPIKE!' she screamed as she leapt from her bed and opened her door. She ran through it towards her front door, not even acknowledging that Xander, Willow and Giles were the new additions to the household besides Dawn and Andrew. They had gotten the first flight to Rome when they had heard the news about how Buffy had gone to L.A to see Spike now that she knew he was alive.

When they had heard her scream out Spike's name Giles had leapt 3 feet off the couch, Xander had fallen off the couch and Willow had seemed the least shocked out of everyone. She had sensed a presence in the next room that had gotten there by magical means.

As she flew past them Willow asked her what was wrong. ‘What, how what? Buffy’s in L.A, not here. She’s a demon impersonating Buffy.’ Xander babbled. ‘No she’s not’ Willow said simply. ‘Its her, she got there by teleportation. I felt her presence forming in the room.’

As Buffy reached the door she grabbed the door handle, swung the door open and just as she tried to step over the threshold between her apartment and the hall she was thrown back as if she were a vampire trying to get into an humans house uninvited. Xander went to catch her as she fell, but she ignored him and jumped up again and threw herself at the door again. Once more she was thrown back, but got up again, but instead of running at the door she hammered at the invisible barrier with her fists.

'Spike' she whimpered in-between sobs, as she sunk to the floor realising that she wasn’t going to be able to get through it. Willow and Xander both walked over to her and knelt before her.

'Buffy, what happened' Willow asked.

'I...I told him not to, but he wouldn’t listen. God, I hate him.' She burst into floods of tears then, as she realised she was never going to see him again. 'No I don't,' she breathed in a shaky, tear filled breath 'I love him. I love him so much, and he...now he's gone' She couldn't control her tears. Xander held her as she cried into his shoulder.

Dawn spoke up for the first time since Buffy’s reappearance in their apartment. 'Where's Spike gone Buffy?' She didn't want to push her sister, but she had to know what had happened in L.A. Her sister had left to get on a plane to see the man she loved, and had thought was dead, and was now here again crying her eyes out.

Buffy looked up with red, puffy, tear filled eyes. She tried to get her tears under control to tell her what had happened, after all Spike was like a brother to Dawn. He had looked after her when Buffy had died, had undergone horrendous torture to protected Dawn’s identity as the Key from Glory and had always protected her with his life. 'I found him and...and I got taken, and now...now Wolfram have made him sacrifice himself for me. I…I can’t live without him.’

She broke down crying again. She was exhausted and Xander picked her up in his arms and carried her to her room and lay her on her bed where her crying softened a she fell to sleep. Xander stayed with his friend as Willow tried to work at removing the barrier preventing them from leaving the house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Spike stood strapped to the wall his beautiful slayer disappeared before him. The last thing he saw of his lover were her hazel eyes filled with tears, for him. If someone had told him when he had come to Sunnydale for the first time, all those years ago, that William the Bloody and the vampire Slayer would have fallen in love, and that she would be crying over him as he sacrificed himself so that she would live, he would have probably broken their neck before they could breath another word of it to anyone. But now, he didn’t care about any of that, not his reputation as the slayer of slayers, the big bad, none of it. All he cared about was Buffy and that she was safe in Rome, just as Wolfram had promised.

He had no regrets, other than the fact that he would never again touch her smooth, soft warm skin or hold her close, feel her heated breath on her skin as she kissed him softly or ran her hands over his body. Never again would he be able to look deeply into her eyes and see all the love and compassion she held for him as she lay beside him in his arms.

He closed his eyes to hold back the tears and leaned his head back against the wall and clenched his teeth to stop himself from screaming as these thoughts washed over him.

‘That was so touching’ Wolfram mocked as he placed a hand over his chest.

Spike opened his eyes and stared angrily at Wolfram, the vampire within threatening to overcome him and beat the shit out of Wolfram for taking Buffy away from him just as they’d found each other once more. He had to control himself, for Buffy’s sake. If he didn’t follow through with the deal he couldn’t even begin to imagine the terrible things they could do to Buffy.

‘Broke my heart. Not that I have one of my own. Have to borrow one you see, and after a while it needs replenishing, and that’s where you come in.’ He said to Spike.

‘I thought you wanted to kill me. Taking away my hearts not gonna do that, or do you need to brush up on your knowledge of vampire destruction just a little bit? There’s nothing there, just a few dried up tendons, muscles. Not really in working order I’m afraid.’ Spike retaliated.

Wolfram just looked at Spike with a bored, humoured look on his face.

‘Seriously, take a look.’ Spike told Wolfram sarcastically.

‘OK’ Wolfram replied and waved a hand in front of him. The creepers shrunk away from his chest and a large rip appeared in his shirt. Before he could decipher what was going on the skin covering Spike’s heart tore apart leaving a gaping gash across it. Spike screamed in agony as he looked down at his open chest. Wolfram admired it. Spike’s heart resembled beef jerkey, the same stuff you give to dogs. The hundred plus years he had been dead had meant that his heart no longer had blood running through it. It looked exactly as Spike had described it.

‘Your right.’ He waved his hand again and the hole closed up again and the creepers resumed their place over Spike’s upper torso, although the rip in his shirt still remained. ‘But appearance isn’t everything dear boy. A heart doesn’t have to be healthy and full of blood to be of value to us. A vampire’s heart can retain the necessary properties for up to 1000 years.’ Wolfram stated in a manner of fact sort of way.

‘And what properties are these?’ Spike questioned

‘Ah now that would be telling, and we don’t want to share everything on the first date now do we?’ Wolfram replied. ‘No that’s better kept till we move on to third base.’ His tone was mocking and sarcastic. Wolfram stood up from the desk and moved slightly closer to Spike. ‘Are you up for a threesome?’ He asked.

Just as Spike was about to ask what the hell was going on his attention was turned towards the door as it flung open and a bruised and bloody Angel was dragged through it by a demon that resembled ‘the beast’ that he had fought with not so long ago. The beast threw Angel at Wolfram’s feet.

‘Thank you. That will be all.’ Wolfram said, and the beast disappeared like a light retracting in on itself.

Angel groaned as he opened his eyes to see Spike held to the wall. ‘Spike? What’s going on, what are you…Oh’ Angel stopped and groaned in pain as he tried to get to his feet but found it too painful and rolled back onto his side.

‘That’s what I want to know.’ Spike asked Wolfram. ‘What’s peaches got to do with this? I thought this was a deal between me and you.’

Angel turned over and saw Wolfram towering over him. ‘You!’ he groaned

‘YOU know HIM!’ Spike asked Angel. Angel managed to get to his feet with difficulty, but still couldn’t stand properly so he slouched slightly.

‘YOU made a deal with HIM?!’ Angel asked Spike angrily. ‘What the hell do you think your playing at? He’s Wolfram, you know of Wolfram and Heart, the big bad we’ve been trying to get rid of! We don’t make deals with him’ Angel shouted weakly and pointed at Wolfram. ‘He NEVER keeps his word!’

Spike felt as though a hand had been thrust inside of him and had ripped out his insides, leaving him hollow and fear and horror filled the emptiness. He looked up at Wolfram with terror and anger in his eyes. Wolfram glared and a small smile played across his lips.

‘You…no. You can’t’ Spike babbled as he fought with his restraints. He didn’t care about the deal anymore. If it had all been a lie, Buffy could be anywhere, having ANYTHING done to her. ‘You promised she’d be safe!’

‘Who’d be safe? What IS going on?’ Angel asked. Then it clicked. ‘Buffy’ he breathed. Even though he didn’t love her in the way Spike did he still cared for her and the thought that she could be being hurt at this very moment chilled him to the bone. Just as he was about to launch himself at Wolfram, it was as though he had read his mind. The same type of creepers that held Spike launched at Angel and he dodged a few of them but they were too quick for him and he was pulled back and strapped to the wall opposite Spike.

‘She is safe.’ Wolfram replied. ‘For the moment…’

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy lay on her bed with Xander at her side stroking her hair softly. She slept a dreamless sleep, unknowing of the danger she was in. The figure laying next to her changed from Xander to a muddy green colour and took on a totally different shape. It’s hands changed to two pincer type claws that continued to stroke Buffy’s hair. All around her the walls changed to black and the furniture in the room disappeared to be replaced by devices of torture. The demons posing as Willow, Giles, Dawn and Andrew all changed to their demon form and resembled the demon that was with Buffy at that very moment. The apartment faded, and darkness and emptiness filled its place.

Buffy lay quietly on the bed as a cold breeze lifted the hair from her face and she shuddered slightly, but was none the wiser.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thankyou so muvh for reviewing you guys. Youinspire me to write more...