The doors opened and just as Angel and Spike lowered their swords in unison, they stopped a few centimetres short of the necks of… Illyria and Connor.
‘Whoa easy with the swords swinging. You could take someone’s head off!’ Connor cried.
‘What the hell do you think your doing here?!’ Angel asked him. .
Spike walked over to the bathroom and opened the door to a very pissed off looking Buffy. She looked him up and down. ‘Oh well, its good to see your not dead’ She accused him. Spike smiled at her with that cocky, lopsided grin he always did. She melted like butter and took his offered hand. He helped her walk over to where the others were as she rested her head on his shoulder.
‘I followed your scent to the alley looking for you and I…’ Connor told Angel
‘I thought I told you to go home’ Angel said.
‘I wanted to fight! I still remember everything I learnt from you, before you did the magic mojo on me. I know I was a damn good fighter. I’ve got the vampire agility and…’ he trailed off under Angels glare. ‘Just saying is all’
Angel merely shook his head ‘well you’re here now’
‘He’s a vampire?’ Buffy asked confused.

‘Well not technically. I mean, sure he has vampire in his blood.’ Angel replied.

‘Do you wanna explain a bit more with the fullness. Still no clue as to what’s going on.’ Buffy asked, still confused. She looked to Spike for some answers.

‘Well, the blue haired chick in front of you, that’s Illyria. She’s an ancient goddess who took over a friends body a few months back, and this is Connor.’ He turned his attention to Angel. ‘I thought he was just a case you were helping out? Why’s he have vampire in him, and why’s he here?’

‘I’m his son.’ Connor replied without realising that neither Buffy or Spike knew about this. Then it clicked. ‘Oh, you guys didn’t know that. It’s a long story but the short version of it would go something like, he and Darla slept together, I was born. Taken to a hell dimension where I grew up really fast, which explains the fact that I’m not like two years old. Came back, tried to kill him countless times. Slept with Cordy, she gave birth to ultimate evil, then he killed me, giving me a new life until that was trashed and, that’s it in a nutshell.’ Connor looked impressed with himself. ‘Wow, I do remember a lot.’

Buffy and Spike simply gazed at him, mouths slightly open, and blank looks on their faces. Both tried to speak a couple of times, but the words wouldn’t form.

Buffy finally found her voice. ‘Ok not what I was expecting…You slept with Cordy! My god that girls gonna have a lot of explaining to do.’

‘Um Buffy’ Angel spoke for the first time in a while. ‘Cordy’s dead.’ Angel said simply. Both Connor and Buffy looked heartbroken.
‘How, when did she…’ Buffy asked.

‘A few months back.’ Angel said quietly, a single tear fell down his cheek as he remembered how Cordy had kissed him that one last time, and then he had got the phone call…

flashback
Angel picked up the phone
“Hello. Yes, I know. She's... but that's impossible. She's standing right—“
He turned to look for Cordelia, but she's wasn’t there; he could almost feel his dead heart break.
“I'm sorry. Yeah.“ His voice became choked “When did she die? Did she, um... she never did wake up? I see.”
He hung up the phone and looked up to where Cordelia was standing moments earlier.
”Thank you.” He whispered as he realisation hit him.
End flashback
Angel breathed in a shaky breath and turned away from the group.
This was too much for Buffy to handle. Angel had a son! It didn’t hurt her, but weren’t vampires supposed to be unable to have children? And Cordy was dead, and no-one had told her. She felt her knees weaken and the floor came rushing to meet her. Before she could greet it fully Spike had caught her and scooped her up into his arms.
‘Come on love, don’t be fainting on me now, you’ve just woken up’ He told her as he carried her over to the bed. He laid her down and kneeled on the floor beside her. He took her hand and kissed it lightly.
‘I’m sorry, it’s just, too much information you know.’ She smiled sheepishly. She hated looking weak in front of Spike. She wanted to be his strong powerful slayer, not a weak and pitiful one.
‘Hey it’s alright. I know what you mean. Who would have thought peaches would have offspring eh?’ Spike said as he brushed a strand of her beautiful, golden hair behind her ear.
She could see the worry in his eyes. Was she thinking about the child she could have possibly had with Angel. She took his hand and pressed her lips to his palm. ‘I don’t care about that you know. Angel having a child. That doesn’t matter to me. I love you and only you.’
Connor walked over to his father and placed a hand on his shoulder. Angel turned to meet the questioning gaze of his son.
‘How did…how did she die?’ Connor asked.
Angel took a shaky unnecessary breath. ‘um, after she gave birth to Jasmine, you remember her don’t you?’
Connor nodded as Angel continued, ‘she slipped into a coma after that. A few moths back, she came back, to help me get back on track, but it turned out she never woke up. Some powers that be thing. I never really understood it.
Connor nodded. He could see the pain in his fathers eyes and didn’t want to press the matter any further.
‘So who’s the blonde chick with Spike?’ Connor asked Angel.
‘That’s Buffy’ Angel replied. Right about now he thought that he’d probably admitted more in the past five minutes than he had in the past five years.
‘Buffy? The Slayer!’
‘Yeah. Remember how I told you how I’d been sent to a hell dimension by my girlfriend after you put me in that coffin and thrown me into the ocean.’
‘Yeah. Did I mention how sorry I was about that.’
‘I don’t think so. But its in the past, so lets forget about it huh. Anyway that’s her’
‘Oh right.’
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buffy had listened in to their conversation up until Angel had explained about Cordy’s death. She turned her gaze to Spike, a tear falling down her cheek. Spike wiped it away with his thumb. She brought a hand up to his cheek.
‘Don’t ever leave me’ She whispered
‘I won’t’ He whispered back as she pulled him into a passionate kiss, but broke off suddenly.
‘Dawn!’ she cried.
Angel looked up and saw the rays coming in the windows.
‘Its ok Buffy, the windows are Necro-tempered so the rays aren’t harmful’ Angel replied.
‘Ok I have no idea what that means, but cool anyway. No not that. Dawn, I have to phone her. Tell her everything’s ok for now.’
Angel threw Spike his phone. ‘Use this in case Wolfram’s monitoring the phones.’ Spike caught it and handed it to Buffy, who dialled the number. After a few rings it picked up and a male voice she recognised and missed came down the line.
‘Hello?’
‘Xander? What are you doing there?’
‘Buffy. Oh thank god your alright. Dawn phoned me and told me what was happening and I came straight out. Giles still isn’t here. His plane got delayed. Are you alright?’
‘Yeah, I guess. If you define alright as ‘being stuck hiding in a building from an evil bad ass’, then everything’s ok.’
‘Oh right so just a normal life in the day of Buffy Summers then.’
‘Indeed it is. Is Dawn there?’
‘Yeah hold on I’ll just get her’
Buffy heard the phone being put down on the table and inexpressible mumbling coming from the other end when someone picked up.
‘Buffy. Oh my god are you ok?’
‘I’m fine Dawnie’
‘You must have kicked some major ass, cos, well the world didn’t end.
‘Yeah I guess you could say that’
‘Why. What’s wrong?’
‘Oh nothing. Don’t worry about it’
‘But your ok right?’
‘Yeah’
‘Um, is Spike…is he um…’
‘He’s right here’
‘Can I talk to him’
‘She wants to talk to you’ Buffy said as she handed the phone to Spike. He took it and put it to his ear.
‘Hey nibblet’
‘Oh Spike, is it really you?’
‘Yeah, its me. How’ve you been?’ he was appalled at himself and mouthed silently to himself ‘how’ve you been? God’ yeah that was a great way to start a conversation with someone who thought you were dead.
‘Ok, but Buffy’s been the worst. She seemed ok at first until we got to Rome and everything settled down. She would cry for days at a time. She was like that for months. I heard her talking to you at night, just like you did when Buffy…’ she trailed off. ‘But it’s ok now, cos your back’
‘Yeah. You, me and big sis have a lot of catching up to do. We should…’
Then an explosion on the other end of the line stopped him dead.
‘lil bit? Dawn? Dawn! Are you there?!’ Spike yelled down the line. He looked at Buffy, panic filling every inch of him.
‘What is it! What happened!’ she pleaded.
Then a voice came down the line. ‘Your too late William.’
Spike filled with a blind fury
‘Wolfram!’
‘You should have stayed put like a good boy.’ Wolfram sneered down the line
‘You lay one finger on her’ Spike yelled. He heard Dawn whimper on the other end of the phone.
‘Oh. Looks like I already did. Ta ta!
The line clicked dead.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike threw the phone against the wall smashing it to pieces.

‘Hey! What’d you do that for?’ Angel cried

Spike turned to him, ‘Wolframs got Dawn and the Whelp. We have to get over there now!’

‘Um, what’s wrong with Buffy?’ Connor asked as he looked at Buffy who showed no sign of emotion on her face, sitting upright and simply staring into space.

‘Buffy love, no, don’t do this again.’ Spike begged as he sunk to his knees by the bedside, and shook her gently by the arms. She merely flopped about like a rag doll.

‘What is it?’ Angel asked coming over to Spike and Buffy.

‘She thinks its her fault, that Dawns been captured. She went like this when Glory took Dawn before.’ He turned his attention back to Buffy. ‘Come on love, its not your fault, please.’ Then it suddenly dawned on him. ‘Red, we need red. She got her out of it before.’

‘Red. Who’s red?’ Angel asked.

‘Willow. She went into Buffy's mind and got her out of it. I need to phone her.’ Spike replied frustrated. ‘He picked up the phone on Angels bedside cabinet. They could use the landlines now they knew Wolfram wasn’t anywhere in the building, possibly monitoring their movements. ‘I don’t know her number, you got it peaches?’ Spike asked, trying to remain calm.

Angel quickly hurried over to his desk and pulled out a personal organiser and flipped to ‘W’ in the phone book section. He read off the number to Spike, who dialled it. It was a Brazilian number. He remembered Andrew telling him that’s where she was based at the moment. He was so anxious for it to pick up, that as soon as the ringing stopped and someone picked up he yelled down the phone, ‘Willow is that you?’ before the receiver had a chance to speak.

‘Spike?’ He heard Willows unmistakable voice down the phone. ‘What in goddess’ name are you…’

‘No time to explain. Please, I need your help, its Buffy.’

‘What’s happened?’

‘You know that time Glory took Dawn and she went into that, non responsive daydream thing. Well its happened again’

‘What! Glory’s back?’

‘no, its someone else. Wolfram. As in ‘of Wolfram and Hart’. Please I need your help.

‘Alright, where are you?’

‘At Wolfram and Hart.’

‘More specifically?’

‘Angel apartment’

‘Right hold on.’

There was silence on the end of the line, then he heard something behind him. He spun round to be met by…Willow.

‘How did you…’ Spike asked, baffled.

‘Teleportation’ she said simply. ‘I cant believe its you. How did this happen?’

‘We’ll save the catching up for later. Please just help Buffy first.’

‘Alright’ She started to walk past him, but he stopped her.

‘Before that, can you get me over to Rome. I need to save Dawn and the Whelp.’

‘He’s got Xander too! Ok take my hands’

‘Wait a sec.’ He walked over to Buffy, took her hands and kissed her lightly on the cheek. ‘I’ll protect her. Till the end of the world.’ He tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear. ‘Even if that happens to be tonight.’ Only he and Buffy knew what that promise meant. ‘I love you.’ He took her hand in his and kissed her palm softly. He turned unwillingly from her, and took Willows hands.

‘Close your eyes.’ She instructed him. He did as told as she muttered something under her breath. In a flash of swirling colours, he felt his body being taken apart, molecule by molecule. He heard Willows voice filling his mind. ‘Stay still we’re almost there’. Suddenly he felt his body reconnecting.

‘Ok’ he heard Willow say. He opened his eyes and found they were standing at the end of a corridor.

‘Its just down there’ Willow informed him. The he did something he’d never done before. He hugged Willow. ‘Thank you’ he whispered.

‘No problem’ she replied, returning his embrace. She pulled back. ‘I’ll sort Buffy out. Now go!’

Spike turned and ran towards the blackened remains of a door. He stepped in the doorframe and remembered the barrier. He looked up and saw Wolfram had his back to him and was holding Dawn up by and invisible force. Xander was unconscious by the couch. Dawns eyes connected with his and she saw he couldn’t get in. Wolfram turned his head to see what Dawn was looking at. ‘Come in’ she yelled before Wolfram threw her across the room, but the invitation had already been give and Spike stepped over the threshold.

‘No matter. I suppose I can deal with you first’ Wolfram said.

‘Your not gonna go anywhere near her again! ‘ Spike told him.

‘Funny. I recall you used a similar threat before to defend that brat. Didn’t work though. She still got hurt and, you lost your whore for a while. If only she had stayed dead!’

This was enough to fuel the fire already burning in his. He looked over Wolframs shoulder out of the window and saw it was still night over here. He used his vampire speed to run full force at Wolfram. He collided with him and they both hit the window, smashed through it. The speed at which they were travelling was enough to send them both crashing over the balcony to the plaza below. Screams of the locals echoed around as the two men hit the floor.

Spike got to his feet and faced Wolfram. ‘Come on then. Lets do this the old fashioned way’. He smacked Wolfram straight in the face. His head turned about ninety degrees and stopped. He turned back slowly to face Spike.

‘OK.’ He smiled and kicked Spike squarely in the ribs. He flew about fifty feet back and landed in a fountain in the middle of the plaza. Wolfram walked over to him as Spike got to his knees and blocked a punch from Wolfram. He redirected him into the statue in the middle of the fountain, then kicked him in the stomach. He got up and kicked Spike in the stomach, and threw throws him into the statue. He pressed Spike against, then Spike grabbed him by the throat and begins to choke him. Spike threw Wolfram off of him. Spike kicked him in the stomach, which sent him spinning to the ground. He leapt back up and tried to block a spinning kick from Spike, but failed. Wolfram got to his feet and then kicked him with a roundhouse, then another. Wolfram took Spike’s legs out which sent his crashing into the water.

He grabbed him by the lapels. ‘I’m not going to kill you yet. I still need that heart of yours. I’ll rip it from your chest before dusting your sorry ass!’

‘Spike!’ he heard his name screamed from one of the balconies lining the plaza. He looked up and saw Buffy standing at the edge of one. She was there. Willow had done it again.

‘Buffy’ he whispered. His momentary lapse of concentration lead to Wolfram smacking Spike in the face which caused him to crash into the water again. Buffy climbed up on to the railing and jumped to the ground. Any normal person jumping from that height would have broken their neck when they landed. But for Buffy it was as though she were jumping off of a foot stool.

At the fountain, Wolfram punched Spike again. ‘Then I’ll slaughter the slayer and her sister’. He took a knife out of his pocket which he transformed into a samurai sword.

‘Or I could just move that ahead of schedule.’ He smiled immorally at Spike, turned the sword round and thrust it back under his arm where it stopped abruptly. Wolfram let go of the sword but it stayed where it was. He stepped to the side and revealed Buffy right behind him, the sword impaling her heart.

‘BUFFY NO!’ Spike cried. He kicked Wolfram with both feet so hard he flew across to the other side of the plaza. He got to his feet, dusted himself off and was just about to walk back over to Spike when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned around to face a raging Willow.

‘Now its personal’ She hit him, not with her fist, but with a bolt of light green energy which caused him to crash through the window of one of the many pizzerias lining the plaza.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike picked himself up and ran to Buffy as she collapsed on the floor. He caught her in his arms and sunk to the floor with her.

‘oh god Buffy, please no!’ his face was a mix of shocked disbelief and inconceivable anguish. Tears were streaming down his face. He felt like he was dying again, only this time, the pain was infinitely worse. He looked at the wound and could hear her heart beat slowing. He ran his hand over her face. ‘I love you, please, I cant lose you.’ She coughed slightly as a trickle of blood ran down her chin from the corner of her mouth. ‘Oh god, no, Buffy, what to I do? Buffy.’ His voice was choked by sobs.

Her voice was weak, and pained. ‘Take care of Dawn for me’ She touched his cheek and wiped away some of the tears. ‘I…I love you. So much’ He touched her lip with his thumb.
Her eyes fell closed and he felt her last breath brush against his thumb.

‘Buffy, no. Come back Buffy. Come back.’ He sobbed as laid his forehead on hers and held her limp lifeless body close to him as he cried helplessly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Believe in the spuffiness people...