In an apartment in Rome

Buffy stood before her answer phone, her tears making trails down her cheeks. When she had pressed the button to listen to the messages, she had expected to hear Andrew’s voice taking over the tape like he always did, whenever he went out with some girls. He tended to call and tell Buffy & Dawn, not to wait up, ‘cos he wouldn’t be home till really late. It had gotten annoying after the first couple of times, but now after a couple of dozen times, it really was infuriating. She certainly hadn’t expected to hear the voice of a British vampire she had come to love with all her heart, and who had died to save the world. She rested her hands on the table in front of her and wept silently.

She didn’t register Dawn’s exasperated questioning, of ‘why she had to carry the groceries up the stairs when Buffy was the one with the slayer strength’.

“Who was that on the machine?” Dawn questioned her sister.

When she didn’t reply she walked over to her and saw the tears falling down her sisters face.

“Buffy, what’s wrong? Oh God, it’s Xander or Willow isn’t it, what’s happened?”

“Spike” Buffy replied barely above a whisper, she was surprised she even heard it herself.

“Spike?” Dawn questioned. Then she breathed deeply. She hated having to do this to her sister. It happened every time Buffy found something in the apartment that reminded her of Spike. She had made her sister stop buying weetabix, ‘cos it reminded her of him, and how he always used to add them to his blood before drinking it..

“Buffy. Spike’s gone, you know that. I know you hate it, but he is.” She pulled her sister into a hug.

“No, he’s not, and I have to go see him” Buffy said as she pulled out of her sisters embrace.

She turned and headed for her bedroom. She pulled her kit bag down from the top of her wardrobe and began packing the necessities hastily. When she came out of her bedroom to go into the bathroom she heard Dawn listening to the answer machine. She stopped and listened again. ‘…love, I’ve missed you so much…’ She had missed the warmth of his voice so much. The way it reminded her of the times he whispered in her ear, telling her he loved her so much as he ran his hands up and down her arms and caressed her cheek before placing delicate kisses along her jaw line and neck.

She had gotten lost in the moment and didn’t even realise that Dawn was now standing before of her, tears in her eyes too. She ran into the bathroom, and grabbed Buffy’s wash kit.

“What are you doing?” Buffy asked her sister.

“You’re going aren’t you. To L.A I mean.” Dawn replied as she headed straight past her and into Buffy’s bedroom.

“Yeah, but aren’t you coming with me?”

“What if Andrew calls, and wants to let us know he wont be home till late ‘cos he’s with some Italian chico’s?” Dawn smiled. “In all seriousness, I think I’d be safer here, what with that apocalypse Spike was talking about. I mean, God knows I want to see Spike more than anything, but I’d feel safer knowing that world was ending over the other side of the world, not a few blocks away.”

“Yeah, I’d feel safer too, I’ll get Giles to come and stay with you. If you tell him what’s happening I’m sure he’ll come straight out..” Buffy said as she finished packing the bag.

Dawn reached under the bed and pulled out the scythe Buffy had used to slay the Ubervamps back in Sunnydale. Before, it had brought back painful memories to Buffy. She would see Spike burning up in the Hellmouth and feel the grief, anger and frustration that she had felt when he hadn’t believed that she loved him. But now, that Spike was alive, she could only think of the happy memories she had shared with him, when they had fought together, and of the hours she had spent in his crypt, next to his cool muscular body, and the way he had made her feel when he touched her.

“I think you’re gonna need this. I expect you to do a lot of demon slaying for me” Dawn said as she handed it to her.

“You betcha” Buffy said taking it from her sister..

She grabbed her passport from the top draw of her dressing table, along with a small silver device with 3 jewels in it, each a different shade of blue. She stopped in the doorway to their apartment as Dawn passed her the bag. She took it from her, placed it on the floor and enveloped her sister in a crushing hug.

“Bring him back” She heard her sister whisper into her shoulder.

“I will” Buffy replied simply.

Buffy pulled back from her sister and looked into her eyes. “I promise.”
She kissed her sister on the forehead, picked up her bag and left for the airport, as Dawn headed into the apartment to phone Giles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The alley behind the Hyperion
Spike stepped out from the shadows surrounding the alley. “Boo” He said subtly. His face was bloodied from the fight with the Fell Brethren. The rain made the blood trickle down his face, and his hair was mussed up.
“Anyone else?” Angel asked Spike

”Not so far. You feel the heat? “ Spike replied

”It's coming.” Angel said, looking towards the night sky.

”Finally got ourselves a decent brawl.” Spike agreed, as they both turned their attention to approaching footsteps coming from the other end of the alley. They started to raise their weapons, but stopped when they saw Gunn jogging with difficulty towards them carrying his homemade battle-axe.

”Damn! How did I know the fang boys would pull through?” His steps became progressively less sure, weaker, “You're lucky we're on the same side, dogs, 'cause I was on fire tonight.. My game was tight.”
He almost collapsed as he reached them, but Angel and Spike caught him, helping him to a box on which he could sit down.

Spike looked at Gunn’s wounds and his hand as he lifted it away from his stomach and saw it was covered with blood. “You're supposed to wear the red stuff on the inside, Charlie boy.”

Gunn looked down at his wounds. He was shaking slightly now. “Any word on Wes?”

Gunn looked up, and Spike and Angel swung round when something dropped to the ground behind them. They were met with the blue, deeply grieved face of Illyria
”Wesley's dead.” She said simply. Angel looked heartbroken, as Gunn started to cry and Spike hung his head. ‘Poor bloke’ he thought. God the guy had just lost Fred now this. If he was in Wesley’s place and Buffy had been in Fred’s he didn’t know what he would have done. He probably would have staked himself as soon as Buffy’s last breath fell from her beautifully soft lips. He missed her so much, and now he was going to die and he’d never gotten to see her face one last time.
”I'm feeling grief for him.” Illyria said mournfully, which brought Spike out of his reverie.

I can't seem to control it. I wish to do more violence.” Illyria said with a little more sternness in her voice, as an awful din of roars, screeches and wails drew near.

”Well, wishes just happen to be horses today.” Spike replied as he turned to face the crowd, and a look of shock and horror fell across his face.

”Among other things.” He heard Angel say beside him.

Hundreds, if not thousands, of demons of all sorts, shapes and sizes filled the alleyway and were drawing progressively closer. A huge winged dragon flew angrily toward them overhead.

”OK. You take the 30,000 on the left..” Gunn piped up. He was weak and could barely stand.

”You're fading. You'll last 10 minutes at best.” Illyria casually warned him.

Gunn stood shakily, but seemed a little stronger ”Then let's make 'em memorable.” He said with an air of confidence.

Angel stepped forward and Spike, Gunn and Illyria followed. Spike stood off to Angel's right side. Angel was flanked a step behind by Gunn on the right and Illyria on the left. They stared at the horde of demons approaching them in the alley.

”In terms of a plan?” Spike questioned Angel

”We fight” Angel said plainly.

’That’s helpful’ Spike thought. “Bit more specific.”

Angel stepped forward. “Well, personally, I kind of want to slay the dragon.” Angel raised his sword as the demon horde attacked. ”Let's go to work.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The demons came on them like a river breaking against a rock. Spike swung his sword up against the first demon to come into his line of attack, blocking the swing of its axe. He kicked upwards at the weapon and the demon lost its grip on it, and Spike took this opportunity to bring his sword up. He cut through the scaly skin of it’s sternum, puncturing its lungs and leaving it gasping for air on the ground before giving up. He brought the sword up and swiped it at a second demon, and a third and a fourth taking each of their heads off in unison.

Around him, Gunn was making a brave, and rather successful effort to slay the demons that he came into contact with. A rather substantial number lay at his feet. ‘Can’t be beaten by a dying man, pull yourself together Spike’ he said to himself. As he went back to slaying the vicious, and inhuman creatures that attacked.

Angel was busy stabbing, slicing and punching a vicious demon that resembled a lion with snakes for arms. He was slicing off the snake arms in turn, but more grew in its place. So he opted for slicing its head off. It dropped to the floor dead.

Illyria on the other hand, used no weapon at all, and was leaving a trail of destruction as she worked her way into the crowd. It seemed that her lust for more violence, and her grief over Wesley’s death had fuelled her and make her into some sort of killing machine.

Spike was now being attacked by something that resembled an Ubervamps, and images came flashing back to him, of Buffy being stabbed in the hellmouth, and of him not being able to do anything ‘cos of the damn amulet burning his insides up. His momentary lapse of concentration caused him to have his sword knocked out of his hand, and for the Ubervamp to grab him by the neck and hold him up against the wall of the alley. The Ubervamp squeezed his neck, and Spike felt that at any moment he mould snap his neck, and he would turn to ash. Images of Buffy raced through his mind. Her hair flowing in the breeze, the way she fought so gracefully, yet with a strength and will power he could never possess. The way her skin felt, the way her lips melted into his when they kissed and then the last time he saw her. When she had held his hand in the hellmouth, and their palms ignited. She told him she loved him, and although he wanted to believe her, he couldn’t be sure, he didn’t want to believe a lie just as he was about to burn up. Her face was fading now, becoming distant and dim. Then the glint of red and silver crossed his vision. It looked just like they scythe Buffy had retrieved from the vineyard after that night in the strangers house, where they had held each other and no words had been exchanged, after he had told why he loved her and she had asked him to hold her.

The Ubervamp holding him up, crumbled to ash as its neck was taken cleanly from its shoulders. Spike fell to the floor, and placed a hand to his neck. Then another, smaller, softer hand touched his neck where his hand was. It was like a small jolt of electricity coursed through him. He remembered this touch. He raised his head slightly and dared hardly believe. His eyes fell on the perfect form of Buffy Summers, tears of happiness in her eyes.

She fell to her knees before him and took the same device out of her pocket that she had taken from her apartment. She pressed the lightest coloured jewel, and a light shot up from it, which stopped a few inched above their heads and fell like a waterfall around the, enclosing them in a mystical force shield that resembled a bubble.

Buffy cupped his face in her hands, and he placed one hand on her hip and ran the other through her hair.

“Is it you?” He said, tears choking him. “Is it really you?” He added, running his thumb over her bottom lip.

She shortened the distance between them and their lips were centimetres apart.

“It’s really me.” She whispered as he closed the distance between them. Their lips met in the softest kiss as he caught her bottom lip in between his own. What started off as a gentle, delicate kiss, soon developed into a passionate, lust filled one. Their emotions washed over them, the sense of loss they had held in their hearts for so long, and the bliss at finding each other again. Buffy opened her mouth to receive his questing tongue and caressed it with her own, while running a hand through his wet hair.

Several times demons tried to attack the couple, lost completely in each other, but was thrown back to a great distance with tremendous force, as soon as it came into contact with the force shield. The demons life force seeped from it and added to the strength of the barrier. The rain bounced off the force shield, and where it hit, little sparks of pink and blue emitted.

TBC…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~