The blonde couple didn’t move for a while, but when they did, the loss of contact and silence was practically unbearable for them both. Spike was the one who began getting dressed first, afraid to look at her expression.

‘God, I hope she doesn’t regret tonight,’ he thought to himself, sliding on his pants. In the meantime, Buffy was trying to look somewhat presentable again, getting dressed, keeping her back to Spike.

‘He won’t even look at me,’ she thought sadly, willing herself not to cry. ‘Was I…bad?’ She stifled a sniffle as a couple of tears fell from her eyes. She quickly wiped them away and finished getting done.

“Buffy?” he asked quietly, buttoning his shirt and putting on his tie. She continued to look down but turned to face him. “I…wasn’t wearing a condom.”

“I know,” she replied. “It’s…okay.” He raised an eyebrow. “I mean, I guess we got a little carried away. It’s my fault, too.” She looked at him. “I’m on the Pill, so I’m good on my end.”

“But what about STDs?” he asked cautiously. “I haven’t been with anyone since I was tested last and got a clean bill of health.” He hesitated. “Have you been…tested?” He noticed a flicker of hurt in her eyes before anger replaced it.

“Yes, I’ve been tested,” she replied sternly, crossing her arms. He frowned.

“I just meant, with you working at Miss Kitty’s and all…” he trailed off, noticing that her eyes had gotten wide.

“Yes, with me being a whore for a living,” she said sharply. “I guess I’d have all kinds of diseases, now wouldn’t I?”

“I didn’t mean it like that, luv,” he said, tilting his head, trying not to piss her off more. “You’re not a whore anymore.” She nodded slightly.

“But I was, wasn’t I?” she asked, studying the way he was looking at her. “You met me when I was one, and you wanted to help me out because of it. I was just Buffy the whore to you before you even knew who I was.”

“I’ve never thought of you as a whore,” he said quietly. She scoffed and let her arms fall to her sides.

“I want to go,” she said, looking away. “Take me home.” He frowned, anger coursing through him.

“What? Why?” he asked, not willing to leave the argument end where it had.

“Because I want to leave,” she said, looking at him. “It’s just easier if…I want to go. Please take me home.”

“Buffy,” he said, but she walked to the door and opened it as he slid on his suit coat and followed her into the hallway. “We can’t just stop talking about this, pet. It’s not like you and I just kissed. We…”

“Fucked?” she offered, looking at him with an angry expression. He clenched his jaw and opened his mouth to correct her. “No. Just take me home. I don’t want to deal with this anymore tonight.” He grabbed her arm, but she wrenched it away, out of his grasp.

“Let me try making it better,” he said, practically pleading.

“What makes you think you can make it better?” she asked, shaking her head. “All you’ve done since we…” She paused. “All you’ve done is hurt me.” He was both sad and hurt by her comment but realized she was right.

“I know,” he admitted, putting his hands in his pockets. “And I’m sorry, Buffy. Please believe me.”

“I don’t know what to believe anymore when it comes to you,” she said, turning and walking down the hall, back to the party. He followed her, upset that in a matter of less than fifteen minutes, everything had gone downhill.

* * *

When Buffy and Spike reached the party together and began walking to the elevator, they ran into Gunn. He looked at them and smirked knowingly, noticing that Buffy’s hair was now completely down and that Spike’s normally gelled hair was tousled and disheveled. Not wanting to jump to conclusions but not willing to let it go without saying something, Gunn playfully nudged Spike.

“Should I send janitorial up here?” he joked. Buffy scowled and stormed towards the elevators. Gunn raised an eyebrow and looked at Spike, who was watching Buffy with a sad expression.

“Don’t even ask, Charlie boy,” Spike said forlornly, sighing.

“You pissed her off already?” Gunn asked. “The party’s not even close to being over yet.”

“Oh, it is for us,” Spike replied, looking at his friend. “You know me- I have a habit of not thinking before speaking.”

“Yeah, you can be a dick sometimes,” Gunn chuckled. Spike flipped him off before going after Buffy.

‘He’s got it bad,’ Gunn thought before going back to Gwen, Wesley, and Fred.

Buffy and Spike got into the elevator and took it down to the main floor, getting out and exiting the building. Spike retrieved his car after the valet drove it out to him, and when he tried to open the door for Buffy, she wrenched it open on her own and got in, slamming the door. Spike growled slightly and got in on the driver’s side, starting the car and looking at her, but she was focused on something outside.

‘At least we’re not that far from our apartments,’ he thought gratefully, pulling away from the curb and driving towards their neighborhood.

After a silent drive, he parked in the lot beneath his building, and when they got out, Buffy immediately walked away from him, going towards the stairwell that would lead her up to the street level. He walked quickly to catch up to her, following her up the steps and to the front door of her building.

“Buffy,” he said quietly, stopping her from opening the door. “Please, luv, let me explain.”

“I can’t do this tonight,” she replied, letting herself in and going to her apartment. Spike watched her through the glass door until she disappeared.

‘Having cigarettes on me would be really great right now,’ he thought, patting down his pockets. ‘But apparently I’m not a lucky bloke tonight.’ He clenched his fists and cracked his neck, trying to relieve some of the tension that had built up. ‘Why was I such a wanker before? I don’t blame her for being pissed off.’ He raised an eyebrow as a thought struck him. He looked at his key ring, staring at her apartment’s key. He smirked and let himself into the building, going to her door.

After knocking several times and not getting a response, he unlocked the door and stepped in. “Buffy?” She appeared seconds later, securing a robe around her tightly, staring at him in shock. Her hair was now in a ponytail, and she had removed her minimal amount of make-up.

‘I don’t think she’s ever looked more beautiful,’ he thought, looking up and down her petite frame.

“Why are you here?” she asked, interrupting his appraising stare. He looked at her and sighed.

“Because I want to apologize for what I said before,” he said quietly. “All of it. I’m sorry, luv.”

“Just go, Spike,” she replied, crossing her arms. He frowned.

“Baby, listen to me,” he began, but she raised her hand, effectively stopping him.

“No, you listen to me, Spike,” she said sharply, glaring daggers at him. “I don’t want to hear this from you. What you said to me, the way you acted…I have never felt so degraded in my entire life, and that’s saying a lot after working at a place like Miss Kitty’s. I don’t want to hear you apologize, and I don’t really feel like talking about this anymore. Just leave.”

“Buffy, let me just say some things,” he replied, seeing tears forming in her eyes.

“No, let me say something,” she said quietly, wiping off the corners of her eyes. “I’m sorry, but I don’t think this is going to work.” She looked at him one last time before turning around and going to her room, closing the door behind her. He watched her and sighed defeatedly, pausing for a moment before letting himself out.

‘What the bloody hell is my problem?’ he asked himself, leaving the building and going to his.
***************************************************************************

A/N I'm just going to say this now- I firmly believe in happy endings, so have no fear that these two crazy kids will hook-up...I just don't know when. The next couple of chapters might be a little bit angsty, but I promise things will get better soon. I want to thank everybody for the great reviews I've been getting- they really do mean a lot. Thanks again!:)